• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. They act like they are playing Jim Tressel with his conservative play calling. These were the same people saying that we had no chance to get into the playoffs, no chance to beat MSU, and no chance to beat Wisconsin.

Mhhm! As much as I loved Jim, Tressel-Ball I can do without. OSU attracts more than its fair share of haters, but I suppose the same can be said for most powerhouses. We'll show them tomorrow night though!

AntoneM said:
I picked MSU, but, I would kinda like to see a SEC meltdown on ESPN.
Picked GT myself, hoping they could hold on and make up for my missed pick of Arizona, who I truly thought was going come in mad and stomp Bosie, boy was I wrong...

Draxal

Can some one post Ole Miss's and Miss State's OOC this year, I remember MSU's being insanely poor (even Baylor could make fun of that one).

Meier

Gonna dig up my SEC West post one of these days. This is a beautiful thing. Happy for Tech too -- they're an absolute nightmare to play.

Chicko must be enjoying this fine display of triple option offense.

yep, they do look good when Thomas is on fire.

Chicko should love watching Texas HS football where chop blocking is legal.

I don't get this chop block stuff. Sounds more like people dont like it because it makes their team look bad when they get sold a dummy run.

Game isn't exactly over folks.

yep, 15mins is a long time in football.

I have money on GT +6.5pts. They are my last two bets for the CFB season after Boise St wiped out four bets this morning!

Draxal

I don't get this chop block stuff. Sounds more like people dont like it because it makes their team look bad when they get sold a dummy run.

It's not just Gtech that has this reputation, Navy also has the same reputation (its where Johnson came from and they still run the same offense).

People find it dirty like they find Alex Gibb's zone blocking scheme to be dirty in the pros.

Ok miss st is never gonna stop tech.

It gets much easier to stop after you play it for a second or third time, but otherwise it'll take a team by surprise (see tOSU vs Navy as another example).

It's not just Gtech that has this reputation, Navy also has the same reputation (its where Johnson came from and they still run the same offense).

People find it dirty like they find Alex Gibb's zone blocking scheme to be dirty in the pros.

Do they really chop block though? I dont think there has been one called all night.

So, to me, it sounds more like opposition whinging because the dont like being sold some candy and made to look bad.

Another mighty SEC team getting rolled in a bowl game.

Remember when the Mississippi state schools were both ranked in the Top 4 this year?

t gets much easier to stop after you play it for a second or third time, but otherwise it'll take a team by surprise (see tOSU vs Navy as another example).

Definitely surprise is a big factor to what they are doing, but GT's execution is very good also.

If its supposedly a high school scheme, shouldnt all these players who would have been great high school players, be able to adjust to this quickly?

I really think Navy will win the west division next year in the AAC AAC AAC. None of those teams or really in conference overall has experience with option teams.

Draxal

I really think Navy will win the west division next year in the AAC AAC AAC. None of those teams or really in conference overall has experience with option teams.

I wouldn't bet against it that's for sure.

Definitely surprise is a big factor to what they are doing, but GT's execution is very good also.

If its supposedly a high school scheme, shouldnt all these players who would have been great high school players, be able to adjust to this quickly?

Chop blocking is only legal in Texas High School football, it's illegal in every other state and makes it kinda hard to analyze Texas lineman recruits. The tenets of the the option (wrs cracking down) and zone blocking lead to incidental chop blocking, it's not really intentional but you're living dangerously and trusting your lineman/wrs to make a sound judgement, which doesn't always happen.

Do they really chop block though? I dont think there has been one called all night.

So, to me, it sounds more like opposition whinging because the dont like being sold some candy and made to look bad.

It's mostly rampant cut-blocking (legal) which sometimes turns into chop-blocking (illegal). Either can result in an injury, and that type of blocking en masse can and will injure folks, particularly the defensive line.

For example, Florida State played The Citadel earlier in the year that used that technique and lost something like 3 linemen during the game. As for the dirtiness, one of those very Citadel players said after the game their intent was to injure. The coach scolded those remarks and that player was disciplined, but it only reinforces the perception. In any case, injuries are part of the game, but they're especially a part of this type of game.

Its funny, I won a few bets on Navy this year and kept up with their form which was ok but never actually watched them play.

I only found out after the GT v FSU game that Navy also play the triple option. I watched them in their bowl game and they were good to watch also. I hope they do well in the ACC.

I wouldn't bet against it that's for sure.

Chop blocking is only legal in Texas High School football, it's illegal in every other state and makes it kinda hard to analyze Texas lineman recruits. The tenets of the the option (wrs cracking down) and zone blocking lead to incidental chop blocking, it's not really intentional but you're living dangerously and trusting your lineman/wrs to make a sound judgement, which doesn't always happen.

It's mostly rampant cut-blocking (legal) which sometimes turns into chop-blocking (illegal). Either can result in an injury, and that type of blocking en masse can and will injure folks, particularly the defensive line.

For example, Florida State played The Citadel earlier in the year that used that technique and lost something like 3 linemen during the game. As for the dirtiness, one of those very Citadel players said after the game their intent was to injure. The coach scolded those remarks and that player was disciplined, but it only reinforces the perception. In any case, injuries are part of the game, but they're especially a part of this type of game.

Cheers for the info.

Yeah the Citadel players or coaches should be banned for life from the sport if they were actually playing to injure others. Disgusting.

Its funny, I won a few bets on Navy this year and kept up with their form which was ok but never actually watched them play.

I only found out after the GT v FSU game that Navy also play the triple option. I watched them in their bowl game and they were good to watch also. I hope they do well in the ACC.

AAC. American Athletic Conference, not Atlantic Coast Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom