• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: Power 5 Conferences to UCF – “Stick to cooking”

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

Looks like he was down/no evidence to overturn so you know what that means with SEC refs.

Edit:vvv I think I agree but the guys knee is blocking the view.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That is a fumble :/

Edit: it's hard to see but the ball looks to be free before his body touches the ground.

lol how does worley look like an efficient senior quarterback when he was awful 90% of last season, I really hope this is not just an terrible Utah state defense.

Hurd will be a star for us though.

Yeah ESPN is opinionated and biased in its coverage of the SEC.

However, the playoff committee is (should be anyway) smart enough to see through any bias and select the best four teams.

I havent looked at the make up of the committee, but I assume it was selected to take a broad look over the whole of the nation with an even spread of people affiliated with each of the top 5 conferences.

Surely the committee doesnt just watch ESPN to form their opinions on college football?

andycapps

lol how does worley look like an efficient senior quarterback when he was awful 90% of last season, I really hope this is not just an terrible Utah state defense.

Hurd will be a star for us though.
Hurd looks great. Worley may be a little better, but I don't think this Utah St defense is that great. I see some promise on this Tennessee team though, seems like they're going to be a little better this year.

Still can't believe that Florida couldn't even beat Idaho. Pathetic.

However, the playoff committee is (should be anyway) smart enough to see through any bias and select the best four teams.

I havent looked at the make up of the committee, but I assume it was selected to take a broad look over the whole of the nation with an even spread of people affiliated with each of the top 5 conferences.

Surely the committee doesnt just watch ESPN to form their opinions on college football?

One would think, but those opinions are leaking into broadcasts of games, where they have to watch them. Like I said, I would be fine if they kept them where they belong (debate shows), but theyre seeping into every part of ESPN anymore.

The playoff committee looks like trash. Also, you just posted another problem. It should be a representation of division 1 football. Not just the "top 5" conferences.

The playoff committee looks like trash. Also, you just posted another problem. It should be a representation of division 1 football. Not just the "top 5" conferences.

Serious question, how many team outside the top 5 conferences have won national championships?

Given that strength of schedule is taken into account, what is the realistic chance of a non-top 5 team making the playoff?

It would have to pretty much schedule three non-conference games against top 25 opponents to have a chance (to be on a par with any other top four team playing 3 or more ranked opponents). Are there any teams that fill that criteria this year?

One would think, but those opinions are leaking into broadcasts of games, where they have to watch them. Like I said, I would be fine if they kept them where they belong (debate shows), but theyre seeping into every part of ESPN anymore.

Yeah, it is pretty bad. I was watching one game and one commentator said "big ten speed" in regards to wisconsin being ahead of LSU. The next commentator said "speed - that is one thing I would not associate the big ten with!".

Serious question, how many team outside the top 5 conferences have won national championships?

Given that strength of schedule is taken into account, what is the realistic chance of a non-top 5 team making the playoff?

It would have to pretty much schedule three non-conference games against top 25 opponents to have a chance (to be on a par with any other top four team playing 3 or more ranked opponents). Are there any teams that fill that criteria this year?

Yeah, it is pretty bad. I was watching one game and one commentator said "big ten speed" in regards to wisconsin being ahead of LSU. The next commentator said "speed - that is one thing I would not associate the big ten with!".
The committee should represent FBS football as a whole. Even if there are teams that normally don't make it, they should still be represented. There are also tons of teams on these power conferences that have never done anything either. All while having more resources and being around longer. You are doing nothing more than advancing the very narrative that is being criticized.

Regarding strength of schedule, it is well known power teams will actively refuse to schedule certain programs or conferences. So while the SOS isn't there, there is also active effort to ensure it can't happen.

Edit: And honestly, jury is still out on the committee. Thinking about it again, the representation does appear to be relatively diverse. Couple of head scratchers on there, though.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't know why I feel underwhelmed about tonight's performance but I do. I went in thinking it was going to be a close game and here we are up 38-7 so I should be pumped but we just looked really..... sloppy.

lush

We're going to have to run the ball more going forward. Overall team speed is way improved though, like night and day. We're actually tackling now rather than bouncing off the ball carrier. We've held someone, anyone, to 7. Impressive performance. Not what I expected.

It's pretty obvious the players have bought in. Love the energy around the program. This fanbase more than any deserves it at this point. Still unbelievable tennessee athletics has gotten as bad as it has.

Hm. They've had six 10+ win seasons since 1969, but okay.

Keep in mind, 12 regular season games is a relatively recent thing, as are conference championship games for most conferences not named the SEC. 10 wins once meant a heck of a lot more than it does now.

West Virginia has been a traditionally good program, though, and they basically owned the Big East in the 2000s after Miami and Virginia Tech left.

andycapps

We're going to have to run the ball more going forward. Overall team speed is way improved though, like night and day. We're actually tackling now rather than bouncing off the ball carrier. We've held someone, anyone, to 7. Impressive performance. Not what I expected.

It's pretty obvious the players have bought in. Love the energy around the program. This fanbase more than any deserves it at this point. Still unbelievable tennessee athletics has gotten as bad as it has.
I'm reserving my opinion on how far Tennessee has come until they play Oklahoma on the road in two weeks. Seemed promising tonight, but one game against a Mountain West opponent leaves me unsure. I'm also uncertain of how much Kentucky has improved based on what they did yesterday.

Hell, the Domers beat up on Rice yesterday. Doesn't mean shit until you beat a good team.

I'm just saying to temper your expectations. I prefer to expect the worst and be surprised when things go well. But I can understand wanting to see your program improve from where it was, and what I saw tonight did look like a better team.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So happy we beat OkSt last night! I don't give a fuck about all this talk about how bad we looked. It was a fun game, super competitive, both teams played hard and we managed to get out with a win. Great way to start the year in my mind.

Now we have a gimme against Citadel where we can hopefully get some run game kinks worked out and then a week off before the big Clemson game. So excited about that, always a fun team to play.

I'm reserving my opinion on how far Tennessee has come until they play Oklahoma on the road in two weeks. Seemed promising tonight, but one game against a Mountain West opponent leaves me unsure. I'm also uncertain of how much Kentucky has improved based on what they did yesterday.

Hell, the Domers beat up on Rice yesterday. Doesn't mean shit until you beat a good team.

I'm just saying to temper your expectations. I prefer to expect the worst and be surprised when things go well. But I can understand wanting to see your program improve from where it was, and what I saw tonight did look like a better team.

There is a difference between playing one of the top teams from a mid-tier conference and an FCS school though. Utah State was 2nd in the MWC last year and Rice won C-USA. The reason why these first games aren't a good predictor is because first games are rarely ever a good predictor of what's going to happen (unless the favored winner gets blown out). It's just harder to tell against mid-tier schools because their recruiting is such that it is difficult to predict who's going to be good year to year.

lush

Oh I completely agree. I just feel like you can definitely see overall team speed has increased loads. The defense actually looked like it had a pulse. These past two years we've had shootouts with South Alabama, Akron, and Troy(talking giving up 48 points). We've been awful. Years and years of having absolutely zero depth and 3 star/"Dooley recruits guys that have heart and bleed orange" guys. But yeah, there's obviously some alcohol/generic early season Tennessee fan shit in my original post. Kind of hard not to at least feel something at this point as a Tennessee fan, this program has been embarrassingly low for so long now.

I went in to the game believing and still do that .500 will be a struggle but that's still the goal. I certainly feel a little more confident in reaching that goal after game 1. I just want to see us beat florida, absolutely ridiculous the streak has gone on as long as it has.

jjasper

I can go ahead and say what is gonna happen in that game. The defense will probably keep it "close" for a half then Oklahoma will pull away in the second and win 42-17 or something.

I think it will be much better to wait till after the Florida game.

Meier

Ash started experiencing concussion like symptoms late at night. Out next week. Have to think that'll be the end of his career.

Draconian

I can go ahead and say what is gonna happen in that game. The defense will probably keep it "close" for a half then Oklahoma will pull away in the second and win 42-17 or something.

I think it will be much better to wait till after the Florida game.

I dunno man. Did you see that kickoff play Florida had? They looked pretty impressive.

Karl2177

If all things ISU couldn't get worse after losing to NDSU, we find out Bundrage is out for the season now. The one silver lining is that Farniok will be able to play against KSU.

A few really fun looking games next week, but a whole lot of cupcakes besides that.
Makes choosing games for the pick'em kinda weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom