• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

JHall

I saw on SBNation that LSU fans basically want him or Jimbo or they consider it a disaster.

Jimbo isn't going to leave. Herman is going to take the USCw job. I here Muschamp is available, LSU fans. They are already used to inept offensives and good defense. It'd be a perfect fit.

Draxal

Jimbo isn't going to leave. Herman is going to take the USCw job. I here Muschamp is available, LSU fans. They are already used to inept offensives and good defense. It'd be a perfect fit.

I think the fighting TTKs wants someone bigger than Herman.

New rivalry trophy was unveiled. Not sure why only our logo is colored on the top of it, but still an improvement.

CUrELOmXAAEO_uo.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The real USC called.

Actually, a lot of USC fans would be happy with Herman. Sure, a lot of people want a massive-name "home run" hire but others just want somebody who isn't scraps from the table of Pete at this point.

Who is a massive name home run hire at this point? Chip? I can't think of anybody else.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I mean you could simply list all the best coaches, but honestly, I don't see a lot of homerun hires for blue blood schools that are remotely realistic besides Chip and maybe Jimbo? Not even sure I would call Jimbo a homerun hire. Definitely a great one, but I dunno.

Other than Saban I don't think there is a home run hire, every coach has his issues.

For as much crazy as there was in the comments of that SBNation thing I read, there were a lot of what I would list as valid concerns about Les Miles and he's probably the biggest potential name other than Chip Kelly.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Other than Saban I don't think there is a home run hire, every coach has his issues.

For as much crazy as there was in the comments of that SBNation thing I read, there were a lot of what I would list as valid concerns about Les Miles and he's probably the biggest potential name other than Chip Kelly.

Harbaugh was a homerun hire I think, even knowing he has a short shelf life.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Best thing is, at this point, it's more believable that Saban retires rather than goes to another team, so at that point, "the bar" just gets lowered, rather than having "the bar" go somewhere else and compete against you.

Unless Saban falls off tremendously in recruiting, whoever comes in has a fully loaded pantry. Even Muschamp might actually succeed!

Draxal

Briles/Patterson/Saban/Meyer/Fisher/Shaw(bad year ... but alot of people think the world of him) would be considered home run hires imho. There's alot of NFL coaches such as Kelly and Payton to consider as well.

Best thing is, at this point, it's more believable that Saban retires rather than goes to another team, so at that point, "the bar" just gets lowered, rather than having "the bar" go somewhere else and compete against you.

Unless Saban falls off tremendously in recruiting, whoever comes in has a fully loaded pantry. Even Muschamp might actually succeed!

All according to plan for when Dabo takes the job.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Briles/Patterson/Saban/Meyer/Fisher/Shaw(bad year ... but alot of people think the world of him) would be considered home run hires imho. There's alot of NFL coaches such as Kelly and Payton to consider as well.

Imagine Briles at Miami. They'd be worse than when Jimmy was down there.

Good to see Herman drop out of South Carolina, I was baffled by that decision. Anyways, Texas cannot go another season with Charlie Steong as head football coach. If Les Miles is out, Texas needs to hard after him.

Umm... you forgot Kyle Flood in that list.

27-23 at a school like Rutgers is pretty damn impressive.

squicken

Really hope Sumlin has an offseason plan on fixing the offense. Too many good recruits have come through at QB, and struggled, to think it is just those players. Air Raid really seems to stress the QB more than other "spread" offenses. Oklahoma going from Mayfield to Trevor Knight was watching a 12-1 team go to an 8-5 team

Karl2177

Iowa State has taken less than a week on almost all of their major hires (Hoiberg was the only one longer than a week from my memory). I'd expect a name to be publicly released shortly after the WVU game. It's probably not going to be a Tom Herman, even if it would be cool that he came back to ISU. I'm betting that we are the first school to announce a new coach of the current vacancies.

Disgusting.

Also, this is my kind of pick 'em!

Friday
(15) Navy v. Houston by 4
Western Michigan v. (24) Toledo by 4
(20) Wazzou v. Washington by 4
(4) Iowa v. Nebraska by 4
Oregon State v. (17) Oregon by 4
(7) Baylor v. (19) TCU by 4

Saturday
(8) Ohio State v. (10) Michigan by 4
(1) Clemson v. SCAR by 4
Colorado v. (23) Utah by 4
Penn State v. (5) Michigan State by 4
(16) Northwestern v. Illinois by 4
(14) UNC v. NCSU by 4
(2) Alabama v. Auburn by 4
(22) UCLA v. USC by 4
Connecticut v. (25) Temple by 4
(18) Mississippi v. (21) Mississippi State by 4
(13) Florida State v. (12) Florida by 4
(6) Notre Dame v. (9) Stanford by 4
(3) Oklahoma v. (11) Oklahoma State by 4

FyreWulff

I'm surprised that trophy didn't end up with every branch being an American Flag and it being renamed the Roots of Freedom Heroes Trophy

Friday
(15) Navy v. Houston by 3pts
Western Michigan v. (24) Toledo by 3pts
(20) Wazzou v. Washington by 3pts
(4) Iowa v. Nebraska by 3pts
Oregon State v. (17) Oregon by 23pts
(7) Baylor v. (19) TCU by 7pts

Saturday
(8) Ohio State v. (10) Michigan by 3pts
(1) Clemson v. SCAR by 30pts
Colorado v. (23) Utah by 14pts
Penn State v. (5) Michigan State by 5pts
(16) Northwestern v. Illinois by 7pts
(14) UNC v. NCSU by 11pts
(2) Alabama v. Auburn by 11pts
(22) UCLA v. USC by 3pts
Connecticut v. (25) Temple by 3pts
(18) Mississippi v. (21) Mississippi State by 7pts
(13) Florida State v. (12) Florida by 5pts
(6) Notre Dame v. (9) Stanford by 3pts
(3) Oklahoma v. (11) Oklahoma State by 3pts

Shouldn't have brought it back in the first place. I feel like this is the second time since I've been a student that I got this email.

It's never been a sanctioned event and they tried to ban it before but putting fences around the lake and they were just torn down. The jump wont stop no matter what the university does.

Gobias

Banned
It's never been a sanctioned event and they tried to ban it before but putting fences around the lake and they were just torn down. The jump wont stop no matter what the university does.
This year though they were handing out official wristbands beforehand or something to try to better control it themselves because of what happened a couple years ago. The email mentioned how they tried to make it safer but now they're going to work to permanently end it. I'm sure students will continue to do it though unless they actually do something drastic.

ag-my001

Really hope Sumlin has an offseason plan on fixing the offense. Too many good recruits have come through at QB, and struggled, to think it is just those players. Air Raid really seems to stress the QB more than other "spread" offenses. Oklahoma going from Mayfield to Trevor Knight was watching a 12-1 team go to an 8-5 team

I think it's a combo of acclimation by SEC defenses, combined with the lack of a mobile qb, tied down completely by the lack of tempo and Spavital's play calling. I put Murray's ceiling higher than Allen's, but he needs the off season to work on it. Having a mobile qb keeps the defense a little more honest even on passing downs, which seems to do wonders for an air raid.

This year though they were handing out official wristbands beforehand or something to try to better control it themselves because of what happened a couple years ago. The email mentioned how they tried to make it safer but now they're going to work to permanently end it. I'm sure students will continue to do it though unless they actually do something drastic.
That's easy, build a classy, luxurious wall around the lake and make the student body pay for it.

on a serious note, how many playoff relevant upsets do you guys think will happen this week

Theyve been doing the "wrist band" thing for a few years now, after the first 100 people when they get over ran they say fuck it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
on a serious note, how many playoff relevant upsets do you guys think will happen this week

South Carolina and Auburn are both bad, either of them winning would be the upset of the season.
I seem to be in the minority, but I think Iowa will handle Nebraska fine.
PSU will probably give MSU a bit of a game but I doubt MSU loses.

Could see Stanford/Irish, Mich/OSU, and OU/OSU going either way, but I'm not sure those would qualify as "upsets."

I could see Baylor losing, but even with their third string QB I think they have a good chance. And Florida is probably going to lose, but is that really an upset?

andycapps

Apparently bringing Richt back isn't as settled as I thought it was. Influential donors seem split about 50/50 on whether he should be retained or not.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and DawgNation.com reached out to people this week who are in positions of knowledge and influence when it comes to the inner workings of the University of Georgia and its athletics association. Some declined comment and some spoke only in broad generalities. But others spoke candidly on the condition of anonymity.

This much is clear: There is a lot of dissatisfaction about the leadership and direction of Georgia football.

“There are five or six members of the board of regents that are extremely disenchanted with the state and condition of the football program at the University of Georgia,” one person with direct knowledge said about the situation.

That view may seem harsh to some observers as the Bulldogs (8-3, 5-3 SEC) enter the Georgia Tech game with a chance to win at least nine games for the 11th time in 15 seasons under Richt. Beating the Yellow Jackets would give Richt a 13-2 record against the team many consider UGA’s biggest rival. The Bulldogs had lost three in a row to Tech before Richt’s arrival in December 2000.

Meanwhile, Richt is out-pacing every other coach in UGA history in terms of winning football games. He has won 73.8 percent of the time during a period when college football is more competitive than ever. He also has led Georgia to five SEC championship games – only LSU has been to as many – and two SEC titles. The school hadn’t won one in 20 years when he won his first in 2002, his second season on the job.

Top Bottom