• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Garbage time yards makes it look like Cook had a better game than he did. Florida did a good job selling out to stop him, since we couldn't do anything in the air.

Alcibiades

They really need to expand it to 8 teams already. It's clear that 4 teams is always going to end up with legitimate contenders arbitrarily excluded.

No one has an unblemished record except for Iowa and Clemson. Anyone getting in with one or two losses should consider themselves fortunate. Otherwise, you didn't take care of business.

You already have a quarterfinal feel with so many of these rivalry week and conference championship games. I would have a serious problem with letting in any 3-loss and 4-loss teams due to winning the ACC for example.

No one is unfairly being left out, unlike when undefeated Auburn was left out in 2004.

The only issue I see with this format is the selection being 100% human. I would have preferred maybe 1/3 computer, 1/3 committee, 1/3 national poll average or something like that to make the final determination.

Is it worse than Virginia Tech last year? Until the committee indicates otherwise, early season losses won't hurt you much. UNC's loss to USC was week 1

Hell yes it's worse...they just lost to The Citadel for christs sake. OSU also pummeled a top 10 defense last year 54-0 or whatever it was so if UNC crushes Clemson sure if they win by 1 then I can't see them getting in. As someone else mentioned if the committee cares about them they would probably be ranked a little higher already.

Meier

Pretty good.

CU8436bUYAIw6S_.jpg:large

Is it worse than Virginia Tech last year? Until the committee indicates otherwise, early season losses won't hurt you much. UNC's loss to USC was week 1

yes unequivocally so.. At least VT was bowl eligible in the end and won against Cincy in their bowl game.

SC lost to the Citadel..

But so far, they are playing improved.. If they do beat Clemson.. they might get the nod.

squicken

Why is it so difficult to for Florida to find a QB? Not even a great QB, just a marginally functional one? Seems like plenty of good players are there at other spots

FyreWulff

You already have a quarterfinal feel with so many of these rivalry week and conference championship games. I would have a serious problem with letting in any 3-loss and 4-loss teams due to winning the ACC for example.

Why? If you win your conference, you go to the playoffs. We don't need nor should have multiple teams from the same conference in the playoffs, which can happen currently, because you should win your damn conference in the first place. The playoffs should be more likely to match teams that rarely play each other rather than ones that played each other 3 weeks ago for the past 40 years.

Having a hard gate such as winning your conference removes most of the questionable human element as well

UNC should get in. You don't beat the #1 team in the nation and not get invited over those other teams.

What's more important though is the just 1 loss. The committee just wants to avoid controversy first and foremost. Its going to be easy for them this year to just say "any conference champ with fewer than 2 losses is in". They do that and there's really no controversy they'll have to justify. Only wrench that could be thrown in is if Florida beats Bama making the Pac-12 and SEC have a 2 loss champ. Then they'll have to come up with another fair strategy. Assuming Bama takes care of business against Florida, the final 4 will be

1. Clemson/UNC
2. Iowa/MSU
3. Alabama
4. OU

Kusagari

Why is it so difficult to for Florida to find a QB? Not even a great QB, just a marginally functional one? Seems like plenty of good players are there at other spots

Because we get the top ranked recruit in the nation and he ends up being Jeff Driskel.

It's hard to believe in the moment but remember that for as bad as Treon has been, Driskel was somehow worse.

What's more important though is the just 1 loss. The committee just wants to avoid controversy first and foremost. Its going to be easy for them this year to just say "any conference champ with fewer than 2 losses is in". They do that and there's really no controversy they'll have to justify. Only wrench that could be thrown in is if Florida beats Bama making the Pac-12 and SEC have a 2 loss champ. Then they'll have to come up with another fair strategy. Assuming Bama takes care of business against Florida, the final 4 will be

1. Clemson/UNC
2. Iowa/MSU
3. Alabama
4. OU

If this schedule gets you into the CFP with 1 loss, it's fucked.

vs SC L17-13
vs NCAT W53-14
vs ILL W48-14
vs DEL W41-14
@ GT W38-31
vs WAKE W50-14
vs UVA W26-13
@ 23 PITT W26-19
vs DUKE W66-31
vs MIA W59-21
@ VT W30-27
@ NCST W45-34
vs 1 CLEM

george_us

Only way UNC gets in if is if Clemson goes full on Clempson and loses by 40. Otherwise I think their OOC plus losing to a horrible USCe team keeps them out.

I just need to find out what dark ritual I need to perform to get the ghost of Tim Tebow to possess Treon Harris. At this rate the Alabama cheerleaders could keep Florida out of the endzone.

MrJames

Will Muschamp. 3 questionable OC's in 4 years. Driskel had a decent year at La Tech.Tyler Murphy left to go to BC. Jacoby Brissett went to NC State.

If this schedule gets you into the CFP with 1 loss, it's fucked.

vs SC L17-13
vs NCAT W53-14
vs ILL W48-14
vs DEL W41-14
@ GT W38-31
vs WAKE W50-14
vs UVA W26-13
@ 23 PITT W26-19
vs DUKE W66-31
vs MIA W59-21
@ VT W30-27
@ NCST W45-34
vs 1 CLEM
Yeah that's a shitfest. Should not sniff the CFP even if they blow out Clemson.

Top Bottom