• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Les Miles officially coming back next year.

Perhaps this entire debacle was set in motion by LSU donors to "send a clear message" that a 9 or 10 win season is not acceptable, and he's on notice for next year.

edit: But its weird that the AD waited until after the WIN against A&M to confirm his status as coach. Perhaps his job was on the line today?

ag-my001

Dang. He clearly deserves to keep his job, but it would have been easier for A&M to do better in the division had LSU faltered with a bad hire into a decline.

cdyhybrid

Damn no team in the country can beat Oregon or Stanford right now.. Yet they won't get a chance in the playoffs..

:jnfc

Perhaps this entire debacle was set in motion by LSU donors to "send a clear message" that a 9 or 10 win season is not acceptable, and he's on notice for next year.

I hope those same boosters will be happy with becoming Mississippi-tier if they fire him. Saban ain't walking back through that door.

squicken

edit: But its weird that the AD waited until after the WIN against A&M to confirm his status as coach. Perhaps his job was on the line today?
Gotta think when they stepped back from the ledge realized they are stuck in a division with Nick Saban. And until he is gone, they will not be winning the SECW

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Looking forward to week of arguments from OSU fans as to why being conference champion doesn't matter this time.
I, for one, just don't see how a team could possibly ever think they were deserving of playing for a national championship if they don't even win their conference.

Velcro Fly

Gotta think when they stepped back from the ledge realized they are stuck in a division with Nick Saban. And until he is gone, they will not be winning the SECW

or wait until next year when there are likely far fewer high profile jobs available and maybe some better coaching candidates like Chip Kelly available for hire

Ganhyun

I, for one, just don't see how a team could possibly ever think they were deserving of playing for a national championship if they don't even win their conference.

This shit kept UGA out of the title game in 2007. In retaliation Hawaii's QB from that time still has nightmares about the sacks in that game.

So it looks like LSU really was going to push him out. But must have changed their mind after the game. Or when Jimbo told them to pound sand.

What idiots.

The key word there is DESERVE. The 4th spot (maybe the 3rd) is GOING to go to a team that doesn't deserve to be there, they just happen to be the best of the 2nd tier. And I do think Oklahoma falls into that criteria. That Texas lost ~would have killed them any other year.

The key word there is DESERVE. At least the 4th spot is GOING to go to a team that doesn't deserve to be there, they just happen to be the best of the 2nd tier. And I do think Oklahoma falls into that criteria. That Texas lost ~would have killed them any other year.

Pro-tip: mre, being an Alabama fan, knows all too well of his team playing for the title without winning the conference. And dominating.

mre

Wild card teams in sports leagues with real playoffs win all the time.
Good christ, we have a real playoff. We just don't have a playoff system with as many teams as some of you would like. But I don't see how you can call what we have not a "real playoff."

Some people won't be happy until we have a playoff bracket with 64 teams.

ag-my001

All the SECW coaches make over 4 million a year, so now that the regular season is over, let's think of who will be on the hot seat for making that much money and finishing at the bottom of the division.

1) Sumlin. Even with the likely firing of Spavital and getting a new OC, another poor offensive season (his supposed calling card) could likely see him gone from College Station.

2) Miles. LSU apparently expects more. Will they hold off again?

Bielema's buyout is probably too large. Freeze hasn't quite delivered, but Ole Miss might be more patient. Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn should be safe.

Looking forward to week of arguments from OSU fans as to why being conference champion doesn't matter this time.

the debate matters if Florida/UNC wins their respective conferences.. Florida doesn't deserve to be and if you think so, that's asinine. If Greer was here, they would. But they don't.

UNC lost to a 3-8 citadel.. It makes Oklahoma's loss to Texas look a thousand times better in comparison.

And why having a good loss late in the season isn't as bad as a bad loss early in the season.

A loss to Michigan State is better than a loss to the Cocks.. fact.

And if Clemson and Bama win, then it doesn't matter. Besides, debating is what college football is all about.

Exactly, that has never ever happened before by any team.....

As opposed to arguments from Oklahoma fans as to why it does? We're all hypocrites here.

It's only bad when OSU does it Zone..

Didn't you get the memo.

Good christ, we have a real playoff. We just don't have a playoff system with as many teams as some of you would like. But I don't see how you can call what we have not a "real playoff."

It's also the ONLY major sport where the regular season means something

Velcro Fly

Under the BCS it would be unbeaten Clemson and a slew of also rans, ranging from Alabama maybe at #2 to the Iowa/MSU debacle in the b1g title game. it would be largely controversial because 4 or 5 teams would think they should have been #2.

the playoff lets teams settle it on the field. it is perfect. things will work themselves out. Unless there is a huge upset next week they pretty much already have.

the big xii worked itself out this year

the big ten is going to work itself out next week

Clemson and Alabama are clearly the best in their respective conference

pac-12 we'll see you next year

mre

All the SECW coaches make over 4 million a year, so now that the regular season is over, let's think of who will be on the hot seat for making that much money and finishing at the bottom of the division.

1) Sumlin. Even with the likely firing of Spavital and getting a new OC, another poor offensive season (his supposed calling card) could likely see him gone from College Station.

Bielema's buyout is probably too large. Freeze hasn't quite delivered, but Ole Miss might be more patient. Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn should be safe.
Auburn fans are pissed at Malzahn and his buddy Lashley. Malzahn isn't getting fired, but his seat is hot. He's gone 2-9 in his last 11 SEC games.

I take issue with the 4 team playoff, yes. I don't think it's enough teams in a sport with 128 teams.

That being said my biggest issue is with the selection process. I don't like how it is a secret cabal that can justify any selection that they've made with some arbitrary reasoning being spouted weekly on the Worldwide Leader by some talking head. The BCS system for all of it's flaws and opaqueness was still more understandable than the current system.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Auburn fans are pissed at Malzahn and his buddy Lashley. Malzahn isn't getting fired, but his seat is hot. He's gone 2-9 in his last 11 SEC games.

And Mullen probably desperately wants out of MSUs. He probably cried when he find out VT's going with that Memphis coach.

ag-my001

Forgot that. I guess put him with Bielama for the "maybe should be, but won't be" pile. At least for next year.

RyanW

Miles be like to his haters:

CU9ARBpXAAEh6qK.jpg

mre

That being said my biggest issue is with the selection process. I don't like how it is a secret cabal that can justify any selection that they've made with some arbitrary reasoning being spouted weekly on the Worldwide Leader by some talking head. The BCS system for all of it's flaws and opaqueness was still more understandable than the current system.
You won't get any argument from me on this. I've said all along we should have kept the BCS and just taken the top 4 teams.

mre

ESPN: "Let's call Joe Schad back on the air to talk about how he could possibly have been so utterly and completely wrong on the whole Les Miles story."

:jnc

lol nobody wants the MBB playoff monstrosity. Just a more logical system than a bunch of people in a backroom drawing charts making decisions. It's at least a step up of having sports writers, coaches, and mystery computer formulas make the determinations.

There is probably a number between 4-8 that allows enough strong teams in, while finally taking out the dumb popularity contest/eyetest nature of CFB, while letting teams actually settle things on the field.

You won't get any argument from me on this. I've said all along we should have kept the BCS and just taken the top 4 teams.

or at least had the doors open so people can hear the debate instead of Jeff Long coming out everyweek basically saying Fuck if I know, we were all tired and Condi started talking about here whitehouse days so we wanted the fuck out.

And as for the number of teams taken: I really liked the playoffs last year. Why the hell wouldn't I want to see more of that. There would be some really great matchups for three straight weeks. The powers that be have to know that the playoffs generate more excitement and revenue than a regular exhibition bowl game.

squicken

1) Sumlin. Even with the likely firing of Spavital and getting a new OC, another poor offensive season (his supposed calling card) could likely see him gone from College Station..

Sumlin wins all his non-conference games and usually beats SECE teams. He just can't beat good SECW teams. I don't think he is awesome or anything but he has to be given a chance on his next OC hire

He does need to figure out what is wrong, though. Lots of talent is coming through the doors that isn't developing.

lol nobody wants the MBB playoff monstrosity. Just a more logical system than a bunch of people in a backroom drawing charts making decisions. It's at least a step up of having sports writers, coaches, and mystery computer formulas make the determinations.

There is probably a number between 4-8 that allows enough strong teams in, while finally taking out the dumb popularity contest/eyetest nature of CFB, while letting teams actually settle things on the field.

8 would probably be ideal, but I definitely wouldn't want a power 5 conference champion guaranteed a spot (UCLA from a couple of years ago). However, this year if you aren't in the top 4 it's your own damn fault.

ag-my001

If you read through their process, you'll also see how it's going to affect the #3 and 4 spots. There are two members with ties to Clemson. That means that when they try to decide the top three (out of the top six), those two don't get any say on number three (assuming Clemson and Alabama are top two). When they come back in the room, they may find a team in the three spot that they would have voted 5 or 6. But they can't do anything about it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Mullen is overachieving with MSU. I don't know that he's "earning his paycheck" with 8-4 seasons, but MSU is probably not going to do better so they are willing to take what they have. Mullen would probably jump at a better offer before they fire him, unless he goes downhill.

Bama is obviously happy with Saban, but I think pretty much everyone else in the SECw wants or expects more. And that becomes a problem when every school wants/expects 10+ win seasons.

Top Bottom