• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Draxal

You also really don't want to be known as a coach who leaves a job after a year. It's bad for the rep (see Todd Graham).

I read somewhere that Houston is still jockeying for position in case the Big 12 opens up again.

From an outsider's perspective, they seem like a logical choice for the inevitable expansion back to 12.

But I'm sure there's a ton of bizarre Texas state politics involved that could make it all stupidly fraught.

Draxal, you need to understand. I support Rutgers. All the time. Every day. Rutgers is the best around. Nothing's gonna keep us DOWN.

We will rise from the ashes of Hermann & Flood. Hobbs is the man to save us. He may get us a coach as vaunted as Mario Cristobal! The best coach in FIU history. Ace recruiter at Alabama, which is a harder place to recruit to than you think.

You need to not just be excited. It's a 100% certainty that Patrick Hobbs will make the right moves. The man was a genius at SHU!

"USC can get anybody they want."

Quick, someone post the last time that actually happened.

Well Sark and Kiffin were ostensibly the AD's first choice the last two times they had to hire a coach so there is that.

Although you are right that back at the start of the 00s when they were coming off a decade of darkness it took until their 4th choice before they found a coach.

I just can't see the B12 wanting five programs in Texas.

I doubt that they do, but with the potential candidates for B12 expansion being pretty unimpressive and the need to get back a championship game so pressing, they're almost certainly going to have to add another Texas program.

It's just too easy of an option for it not to happen.

Didn't SC fans bitch about Caroll being hired too? I haven't watched much SC this year so I don't know much about him. Is he that terrible?

@MarkBermanFox26: .@CoachTomHerman says he's reached agreement in principle on a new contract with @UHouston

With all these SEC coaches on the hotseat for 8-10 win seasons, I don't blame a coach for settling at a mid major where 8-10 win seasons = job security.

He's built to coach the BIG XII and recruit there. One of the main reasons Urban got Beck was he could recruit Texas.

Part of me thinks he waiting to see what Texas is going to do with Charlie.

Dammit, was looking forward to watching his stock fall dramatically while he gets destroyed from expectations (and losing). Would have been some nice payback. The Trevor Knight of Coaches.

That's Kirby Smart.

Or maybe Houston just isn't that bad of a program.

It really isn't. I get why the BIG XII doesn't necessarily want them. But I think they could compete in a Power 5 conference.

I read somewhere that Houston is still jockeying for position in case the Big 12 opens up again.

They should keep putting pressure..

Memphis and Houston would be excellent adds.. Well Memphis may be before Fuente left. Have some history in basketball as well.

From an outsider's perspective, they seem like a logical choice for the inevitable expansion back to 12.

But I'm sure there's a ton of bizarre Texas state politics involved that could make it all stupidly fraught.

They are trying to not make WVU the red headed stepchild and really want to expand East.

I doubt that they do, but with the potential candidates for B12 expansion being pretty unimpressive and the need to get back a championship game so pressing, they're almost certainly going to have to add another Texas program.

The Big 12 is going to dissolve. It's going to happen.

They are a weak conference from a television standpoint. They lack a visionary leader like Jim Delany. His moves of adding Rutgers & Maryland to the Big 10 were masterful.

Sarye

Draxal, you need to understand. I support Rutgers. All the time. Every day. Rutgers is the best around. Nothing's gonna keep us DOWN.

We will rise from the ashes of Hermann & Flood. Hobbs is the man to save us. He may get us a coach as vaunted as Mario Cristobal! The best coach in FIU history. Ace recruiter at Alabama, which is a harder place to recruit to than you think.

You need to not just be excited. It's a 100% certainty that Patrick Hobbs will make the right moves. The man was a genius at SHU!

I'm beginning to think that RutgersAl has taken over Sirpopop...

BTW, I'm actually okay with the Hobbs hire. Can't wait to see who we get as coach.

Calamari41

41 > 38
How is Haden still at USC? Should've been fired ages ago. At worst he should've been fired when Sark was gone. Hire a new AD, let them bring in their own person.

I guess the positive here is that when they do bring in a new AD in the next year or two, that'll be a good excuse to fire this guy.

The long-story-short explanation is that Nikias isn't a football guy at all, and doesn't really care what happens with athletics as long as the money keeps coming in (Haden is a prolific fundraiser). The collapse on the sideline at Notre Dame was the perfect time for Haden to step aside gracefully, but he just doesn't seem to want to leave. Hopefully he steps aside after this season, but the guy has an ego.

The Big 12 is going to dissolve. It's going to happen.

They are a weak conference from a television standpoint. They lack a visionary leader like Jim Delany. His moves of adding Rutgers & Maryland to the Big 10 were masterful.

One could argue that Maryland has actually added more to the conference than Nebraska has at this point.

Nebraska has contributed jack-shit to the conference since joining. Rutgers and Maryland have at least brought one quality basketball program between the two of them and a shitload of cable subscribers.

West Virginia is doomed to be the redheaded stepchild in any scenario.

Adding them was a pure desperation move - a Band-Aid plastered on a gaping wound.

I don't disagree, but they've hemmed themselves into trying to balance out the distance between the schools and WVU for one reason.

Plus PopPop said it too.. They need to expand their footprint on the television viewership market. Houston does nothing in regards to accomplishing that.

I don't disagree, but they've hemmed themselves into trying to balance out the distance between the schools and WVU for one reason.

Plus PopPop said it too.. They need to expand their footprint on the television viewership market. Houston does nothing in regards to accomplishing that.

In the end it's probably going to be Houston and Cincinnati - even with Houston's inability to expand the TV map and Cincy's MAC-level facilities.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That's Kirby Smart.

Can't be him, he's done well in multiple games, and didn't base his career off beating Alabama.

He's more like a Happy version of Will Muschamp. I fear he'll have the same outcome, and was why I was skeptical of him being a potential "coach in waiting" at Alabama.

andycapps

Can't be him, he's done well in multiple games, and didn't base his career off beating Alabama.

He's more like a Happy version of Will Muschamp. I fear he'll have the same outcome, and was why I was skeptical of him being a potential "coach in waiting" at Alabama.

Smart's success would be highly dependent on who his OC would be.

They are trying to not make WVU the red headed stepchild and really want to expand East.[/QUOTE]

I think adding Cincinnati would be a good addition for the B12 personally.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Memphis and Houston would be excellent adds.

Houston offers almost nothing that the Big XII doesn't already have. They would provide some penetration into East Texas but overall not as much market as adding a school from a different part of the country would bring.

They seem to be committed to building something that a P5 would be interested in but I don't really know which P5 it would be. The Big XII already more or less owns Texas and already added a desperation option in TCU, the SEC already has more of the Houston market with A&M than Houston could ever hope to give them, and they're way outside of the current footprints of the ACC, PAC-12, and B1G.

It's true that all the candidates are unimpressive, but if you're just looking for an easy add a school like Cincinnati would be miles ahead of Houston, I think. UCONN would likely be far ahead as well IMO.

How is Haden still at USC? Should've been fired ages ago. At worst he should've been fired when Sark was gone. Hire a new AD, let them bring in their own person.

I guess the positive here is that when they do bring in a new AD in the next year or two, that'll be a good excuse to fire this guy.

Remember when he played a UCLA fan for literally an entire season? He can keep going for a while.

Nikias wants to be the Stanford of the Southwest, I'm guessing there was more emphasis this time on finding a coach who won't publicly embarrass the university but outside of that I doubt football acumen mattered a whole lot.

USC is in kind of a weird place, you have all the pre Sample alumni who think of it as primarily a football school and a second or third tier academic institution and then all the post Sample people who desperately want it to be a top tier academic institution rid of its Spoiled Children/Second Choice monikers and don't particularly care about athletics. How many other schools in this country have successfully reinvented themselves in this way in the past 20-30 years?

It is honestly possible that USC never gets back to the level of truly elite football program, because the administration isn't interested in competing with Alabama or Ohio State or Florida State. They want to compete academically with Stanford and Cal, football be damned.

If the Big 12 were to expand, it would be with schools east of the Mississippi. WVU is the glaring outlier in the conference right now, and I think the Big 12 wants to eventually fix that. Potential candidates could include Cinci, Memphis, USF, or UConn. Temple and UCF would be stretching it, but who knows.

The U, as an academic institution, seems to be facing a similar identity crisis as USC. At least from what I've read.

They want to move beyond the whole dirty-as-fuck football school stigma because it has harmed the entire university's reputation. If that means half-assing the football program, so be it.

Nikias wants to be the Stanford of the Southwest, I'm guessing there was more emphasis this time on finding a coach who won't publicly embarrass the university but outside of that I doubt football acumen mattered a whole lot.

USC is in kind of a weird place, you have all the pre Sample alumni who think of it as primarily a football school and a second or third tier academic institution and then all the post Sample people who desperately want it to be a top tier academic institution rid of its Spoiled Children/Second Choice monikers and don't particularly care about athletics. How many other schools in this country have successfully reinvented themselves in this way in the past 20-30 years?

It is honestly possible that USC never gets back to the level of truly elite football program, because the administration isn't interested in competing with Alabama or Ohio State or Florida State. They want to compete academically with Stanford and Cal, football be damned.
I don't know, if Stanford is any indication you can do both :p

If the Big 12 were to expand, it would be with schools east of the Mississippi. WVU is the glaring outlier in the conference right now, and I think the Big 12 wants to eventually fix that. Potential candidates could include Cinci, Memphis, USF, or UConn. Temple and UCF would be stretching it, but who knows.

UCF as a program has easily passed USF, Memphis, and UConn when it comes to the main bus driver, football. This albatross of a season sucked ass, but facilities, investment, market/location, success, dwarfs most of them.

I'd also think if TV markets are a still thing, locking up central Florida with UCF/USF and just getting into FL in general would make a lot of sense. But I could also see Cinci/Memphis to more directly help out WVU.

They'll end up imploding if they keep dicking around with the LHN and don't consider a true conference wide network, though.

squicken

So supposedly Haden considered 17 different head coaches and did not interview Chip Kelly.

Also Helton got a 3 year deal with 2 option years.

I am surprised the alums are so content to let Haden be the one making these decisions

Even with Herman's deal at UH, I won't believe he is staying until all the chairs get filled. There have been too many coaches who have received a pay raise, only to bolt b/c they never signed it or some other out they have

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
here's where I get weirded out and feel horrible. I am just under 4 years younger than Kirby Smart, who turns 40 in late December. Getting Old is getting old...

Draxal

The U, as an academic institution, seems to be facing a similar identity crisis as USC. At least from what I've read.

They want to move beyond the whole dirty-as-fuck football school stigma because it has harmed the entire university's reputation. If that means half-assing the football program, so be it.

The fans embrace the dirty as fuck stigma, and it's a huge issue for them.

Richt dreams still alive for Rutgers.

SHUT UP ANDY LET ME DREAM

Pat Hobbs will hire the best man for the job. He's experienced in the only area that's necessary for any boss:

HE IS SOOOO SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD AT BEING DA BOSS!

So don't worry about whether it's Richt or not. The coach that's hired is going to have unimpeachable credentials. If you think the next coach is anything other than great, well, we need to question your judgment at that point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Doesn't help that the University is private, but it lacks the national prestige of being perceived as a top flight school. You don't hear people saying oh I got to choose between Northwestern, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, oh and Miami. At least not nationally.

It also isn't affiliated with anything so it's not like oh it's say idk a Catholic school so it's pulling in Catholic students.

andycapps

Chip Towers and Seth Emerson at the AJC posted an article just now and brought up an interesting idea. Smart is likely the guy at UGA, but keeping Pruitt seems unlikely given Pruitt wanting total control. They think it more likely that Smart comes, coaches through SECCG and any subsequent games while splitting time in Athens, and Pruitt returns to be DC for Saban at Bama.

Limedust

Chip Towers and Seth Emerson at the AJC posted an article just now and brought up an interesting idea. Smart is likely the guy at UGA, but keeping Pruitt seems unlikely given Pruitt wanting total control. They think it more likely that Smart comes, coaches through SECCG and any subsequent games while splitting time in Athens, and Pruitt returns to be DC for Saban at Bama.

I don't see it, particularly on the point of Pruitt wanting "total control."

If anything, I would expect Turner to be promoted to DC, assuming Smart leaves.

Top Bottom