• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Well that is another thing Alabama greatly benefits from.

Alabama is meeting a team that was shut out on offense against FSU this past week. A team that struggled with FAU and Vanderbilt the past few weeks.

The winner of the division Ohio State is in has to play undefeated Iowa.

Again, very fortunate.
The same Iowa team that didn't play OSUn, Sparty or UM.

Again, very fortunate...

I don't think anyone is scared of Iowa. They'll be exposed soon enough. The B1G West and SEC East are both 2 of the worst divisions in CFB. Their division counterparts are pretty solid though

Maybe tMCU is on the outside and Alabama is on the inside because Clarett's SOS is 58 and Bama's is 3.

ofZ0Bbc.gif

Lunar15

God this is a dumb conversation and I hate getting involved in it since the guy is clearly a troll and I don't really love Alabama, but Alabama played four teams with 3 loss seasons and won three of the four. Ohio State did not play a single 3 loss team until until the end of the season, of which they played two, and they only won one of those games. You want to talk about convenience? Ohio State had a red fucking carpet and they tripped on the way through the door. Tough shit.

But seriously, go UF, Iowa, and UNC. I want massive chaos.

God this is a dumb conversation and I hate getting involved in it since the guy is clearly a troll and I don't really love Alabama, but Alabama played four teams with 3 loss seasons and won three of the four. Ohio State did not play a 3 loss team until until the end of the season, of which they played two, and they only won one of those games. You want to talk about convenience? Ohio State had a red fucking carpet and they tripped on the way through the door. Tough shit.

But seriously, go UF, Iowa, and UNC. I want massive chaos.

Only UF winning could cause chaos. Iowa wins and they are in. UNC wins and they are probably in

Lunar15

Only UF winning could cause chaos. Iowa wins and they are in. UNC wins and they are probably in

No, you don't understand. Iowa winning out is pure, fucking chaos.

We are all Gata.

I get the sentiment, but that's not a fun cruise to be on. Let me assure you. Even our wins are unwatchable messes.

Man, the FSU game bums me out. They won fair and square, but they didn't look good. Their offense was limp most of the game and Kelvin Taylor actually had more rushing yards than Cook did until that final garbage time drive. Our terrible O-Line even held up fairly well against FSU's defense, giving Harris plenty of time. He just shit the bed, it sucks. But a win's a win, nothing can be said about that.

Oh yeah and if Florida does somehow win, then Stanford gets in ( assuming Stanford beats USC) If Stanford loses to USC, then Ohio State gets in.

Pretty cut and dry

Again, very fortunate...

I agree with this. Some teams are fortunate (Iowa and Alabama) and others are not (Ohio State)

When we look at the eight P5 conference title game participants, I'd say Florida has played the worst of all of them as of late and it isn't even close. Who gets to play Florida?

Alabama.

Balphon

I agree with this. Some teams are fortunate (Iowa and Alabama) and others are not (Ohio State)

When we look at the eight P5 conference title game participants, I'd say Florida has played the worst of all of them as of late and it isn't even close. Who gets to play Florida?

Alabama.

You must be a secret USC fan.

USC just beat their rival by 20 points. Florida didn't score a single offensive point against FSU, this is following overtime with FAU and needing a field goal in the last 3 minutes to beat Vandy.

Could you imagine what Oregon would have done to Florida if they played a few weeks ago? You can't fault USC for that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
USC just beat their rival by 20 points. Florida didn't score a single offensive point against FSU, this is following overtime with FAU and needing a field goal in the last 3 minutes to beat Vandy.

Could you imagine what Oregon would have done to Florida if they played a few weeks ago? You can't fault USC for that.

Look a bit better than FSU?

Florida is not a good team, but they do have one of the best defenses in the country both statistically and by advanced metrics. That doesn't do much by itself though, just ask Boston College.

Hopfefully Henry finds the endzone next week to keep his streak alive, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the SEC championship doesn't see 10 points scored. Depends on how the Bama offense shows up.

The B1G is a week in, week out conference. No breaks, everyone's playing hurt all the time. Even a bottom tier B1G team like Rugters would win the SEC. I had to travel for a job one time.

Yes, this is all correct.

Remember how Indiana beat Missouri last year?

I mean, I'd have to be a pretty big hypocrite to argue for OSU after arguing in these very threads against TTUN in 06, Georgia in 07, and Bama in 11 playing for a title without winning their conference. It sucks, but OSU shit their bed, and now they have to lie in it.

In other news friends, have I mentioned how brilliant an eight-team playoff would be?

Edit: that Wazzu gif is broke as all hell on mobile

What is actually funny about this to me is an tOSU fan riding the coattails of MSU.

That's the most amazing part to me..

The B1G is a week in, week out conference. No breaks, everyone's playing hurt all the time. Even a bottom tier B1G team like Rugters would win the SEC. I had to travel for a job one time.

You know, I know you're kidding with this.. But sometimes I have moments where I am unsure if you are serious or not

Maybe Ohio State should talk more about how they completely shit the bed on offense against Michigan State.

We should. Fire Beck, fire that motherfucker.

Iowa will get blown the fuck out by Sparty in the B1G title game and then go 7-6 next year.

But Ferentz will have done enough to get his 20-year, $2B extension and win his 15th B1G Coach of the Year Award.

We all knew it was a solid investment.

I'm fine with Ferentz getting an extension because he'll be back to mediocrity and losing to Iowa State in a couple years.

And he'll still collect bank and your coach moves on to another university. ( I hope he does succeed and stay for the record)

Again, very fortunate...

Just details man.. Little details.

I don't think anyone is scared of Iowa. They'll be exposed soon enough. The B1G West and SEC East are both 2 of the worst divisions in CFB. Their division counterparts are pretty solid though

Yup..

We are all Gata.

Fuck.. Fuck, it makes me throw up. But Go Gata... Damn it.

I mean, I'd have to be a pretty big hypocrite to argue for OSU after arguing in these very threads against TTUN in 06, Georgia in 07, and Bama in 11 playing for a title without winning their conference. It sucks, but OSU shit their bed, and now they have to lie in it.

In other news friends, have I mentioned how brilliant an eight-team playoff would be?

Edit: that Wazzu gif is broke as all hell on mobile

People were against Bama in 11?

I argued with my friends saying they deserved it. If Gondo State hadn't shit the bed that year (yes I know, they had a tragedy before the game (women's basketball coach and team had a a plane crash right?)But still.. Bama was the number 2 team that year)

Unless Magic happens.. OSU will have to smack the Irish in the mouth in the Fiesta .. I'm okay with this.

Barring a massive meltdown at the top this weekend, we don't have a particularly credible argument for getting into the playoff. Anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

So yeah, I'm fine with a Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl appearance. More than fine, actually.

All bets are off if Clempson clempsons and Bama inexplicably gets rolled, though.

FyreWulff

Barring a massive meltdown at the top this weekend, we don't have a particularly credible argument for getting into the playoff. Anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

So yeah, I'm fine with a Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl appearance. More than fine, actually.

All bets are off if Clempson clempsons and Bama inexplicably gets rolled, though.

Assuming Iowa wins out, they'd almost surely put Iowa and Ohio State against each other in a meltdown scenario, right?

Big 10 Championship 2: Electric Boogaloo

Assuming Iowa wins out, they'd almost surely put Iowa and Ohio State against each other in a meltdown scenario, right?

Big 10 Championship 2: Electric Boogaloo

If we encounter a situation this year (or in future years) where we have multiple teams from a single conference in the playoff, I think the committee will rig the rankings to prevent an intra-conference game in the semis.

andycapps

What about all the FSU fans who said after the loss to Clemson "Congrats Clemson, no go win the rest of em"

I find that incredibly dumb as well. Conference loyalty is foolish.

I might like the Wazzu girl even more than the Shh girl.

http://gfycat.com/NarrowSimplisticCanvasback

When it becomes a gif it stops looping. Whatevs man, I just won't embed it then!

That's hilarious, the other one is hotter though. I watched it probably 5 times before I realized I'd done so.

ag-my001

If we encounter a situation this year (or in future years) where we have multiple teams from a single conference in the playoff, I think the committee will rig the rankings to prevent an intra-conference game in the semis.
There were discussions of this last year. If you split the conference opponents, there's a chance of a conference final matchup. If you put them together in a semi, one conference rep is guaranteed to get to the final.

Splitting is probably better, but there are arguments for and against both.

Lunar15

I wonder how badly Bama is going to throttle us in Atlanta.

Go Gata?

I expect our defense to do marginally well, especially if we get back some starters that were out. However, we always allow one or two big plays, and that's what Alabama relies on. It's just that our offense is completely toothless. I expect no points on offense, but I also don't expect a ton of points from Alabama.

andycapps

Richt conference is live now.

Says continuing to coach is definitely still an option. Mentions wanting to be more hands on in future coaching role, missing working with QBs closely and calling plays. With him saying that, I think he's still got it in him, and he's definitely going to be getting calls.

Man, I just know he's going to end up at a minimum at South Carolina. Basically throwing his hat out there for whatever coaching openings are out there, and obviously, there are a lot.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I expect everyone to make a full on blitz on Eason, Consequences will never be the same again.

andycapps

I expect everyone to make a full on blitz on Eason, Consequences will never be the same again.

I'm sure Michigan and Florida are all over him right now. UGA needs to move quickly on a hire.

Richt did mention he talked to Eason already and told him to stick it out.

Richt coming off a lot better here than McGarity, which isn't surprising. Lot of people aren't happy with him.

Ganhyun

Richt conference is live now.

Says continuing to coach is definitely still an option. Mentions wanting to be more hands on in future coaching role, missing working with QBs closely and calling plays. With him saying that, I think he's still got it in him, and he's definitely going to be getting calls.

Man, I just know he's going to end up at a minimum at South Carolina. Basically throwing his hat out there for whatever coaching openings are out there, and obviously, there are a lot.

He also sounds somewhat tired of major recruiting based on his statements.

andycapps

He also sounds somewhat tired of major recruiting based on his statements.

Could be. Maybe if USC called he would go. USC recruits itself. He sounds like his preference would be to be an offensive coordinator, but I don't know if he'll be able to step away from being a head coach if he wants to keep coaching.

McGarity saying he doesn't know which coaches are on the road recruiting. Oh bullshit, you know.. You pulled all of them off the road but 2. Pruitt and all the defensive staff was pulled off the road.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm sure Michigan and Florida are all over him right now. UGA needs to move quickly on a hire.

Richt did mention he talked to Eason already and told him to stick it out.

Richt coming off a lot better here than McGarity, which isn't surprising. Lot of people aren't happy with him.
"Stick it out, kid. But if I pop up somewhere else in the next few weeks, I just want you to know my cell phone number isn't changing." *wink*

If Pat Hobbs hires Mark Richt, I would be ok with such a move.

He's going to be the best AD in the nation. He did a great job with Seton Hall. His record there was sterling. I have supreme faith in President Barchi's ability to hire personnel. He's leading the university to its greatest heights. Under his watch, we merged in a huge medical school. No other university president has the ability to do that.

Barchi is the best. Hobbs' has a keen eye, and it's assured that he's going to be amazing at his job. They will clean up the foul mess left behind by Kyle Flood & Julie Hermann.

There were discussions of this last year. If you split the conference opponents, there's a chance of a conference final matchup. If you put them together in a semi, one conference rep is guaranteed to get to the final.

Splitting is probably better, but there are arguments for and against both.

I guess it also depends on whether or not said intra-conference playoff matchup is a rematch of a regular season game.

Say Iowa beats Sparty in the B1G title game and both Iowa and Ohio State make the playoff. The committee might gladly pair Iowa and OSU in the semis because they never met during the regular season.

However, if they had met in the regular season, I'm guessing the committee wouldn't want to pair them in the semis.

Top Bottom