• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colors! 3D |OT| Art, in 3D. (Also in 2D on iOS)

Chuckpebble

Here's my latest. I traced. Plus the shading was incredibly simple for me because its monochromatic for the most part.

_104797.jpg

http://colorslive.com/details/104797-Light_Suit:_Represent!_by_Chuckpebble.php

My favorite comment: "oh look a pic of samus, insta 200 likes lol"

EDIT:
http://colorslive.com/details/106421-Samus:_Light_Suit_by_Chuckpebble.php
I reuploaded with a version where Samus' body is significantly less ready. That old link shouldn't work anymore, but the image reference still works for some reason.

103854.png

http://colorslive.com/details/103854-Tower_on_the_mount_by_bentles.php

Never painted anything before. Watched some other people paint and stole techniques lol. I love that paintbrush tool so much now!

Fascinating, is that Mr. Spock?

Also, there is no stealing techniques. No one was born with the knowledge on how to paint right. Sure some have a unique talent for it, but even for those, learning by watching others with more experience is the best way of improving.

Like I said before, I myself come from a comic, pen and ink drawing background, so constructing a painting with colours and not lines is a completely new field for me. And I love it, as it is perfect to expand my understanding on light and shading.

Cyport

Currently drawing something but now my undo option is greyed out. Is this normal? Might have come up earlier in this thread but didn't read through all posts, sorry!

edit: Ended up quicker just searching for it. Yep after a while you can't use undo which sucks. I'll finish off my drawing and post it here (bit worried about exporting) but next time I'll do simpler paintings.

Currently drawing something but now my undo option is greyed out. Is this normal? Might have come up earlier in this thread but didn't read through all posts, sorry!

edit: Ended up quicker just searching for it. Yep after a while you can't use undo which sucks. I'll finish off my drawing and post it here (bit worried about exporting) but next time I'll do simpler paintings.

Yep, as you have read after 6 hours the video doesnt record any more, so that seems to fuck up undo and redo also (it also fucks up the option of exit the painting erasing the new things you've done, they will stay).
A word of caution, dont use the video thing before you finish the painting. If you do and go directly into continue painting, it will erase all the new things you have done after the video has stopped recording, even if it has been saved multiple times before.

Dont worry about exporting it, it will work perfectly. The only thing is that in the colors! page, the video will also stop at the 6 hours thing, so you cant see how you finished the painting (But the final result is there, so dont worry)

My celebration of Pikmin, just uploaded. Really happy with the way it looks in 3D.

_106990.jpg

Link: http://colorslive.com/details/106990-endure_little_guys%21_by_spartacris.php

I love the red pikmin trying to save its life killing the yellow one :lol

M3d10n

There's a limit to how big the recording can get, unfortunately. The undo feature uses the recording to work (by re-loading the previously saved picture state and re-painting up to the last step), so that's why it stops working. Further brush strokes will be painted to the final result, but will not be added to the recording.

It's a bit of a shame, really. Since the original DS had only 4MBs of RAM, I suspected the strokes were saved in a format that could be streamed from/to the SD card. Maybe it *is* streaming, but they had to set a maximum filesize to prevent abuse, since it costs money to host the paintings online (and their website has no ads at all).

M3d10n

Want learn how paint, buy this on eshop:

art_academy_dsi_ware.jpg

After training a lot, buy Colors 3D and have a lot of fun.

Seconded. It will guide you through all the basics in a very newbie-friendly way. Also, it too allows you to export your drawings to the SD card and use pictures as references.

Cyport

Yep, as you have read after 6 hours the video doesnt record any more, so that seems to fuck up undo and redo also (it also fucks up the option of exit the painting erasing the new things you've done, they will stay).
A word of caution, dont use the video thing before you finish the painting. If you do and go directly into continue painting, it will erase all the new things you have done after the video has stopped recording, even if it has been saved multiple times before.

Dont worry about exporting it, it will work perfectly. The only thing is that in the colors! page, the video will also stop at the 6 hours thing, so you cant see how you finished the painting (But the final result is there, so dont worry)

Ah thanks. I did watch the video one once and I noticed that after it finished my drawing was missing the most recent additions fortunately it was only a few minutes work. I will have to speed up in future and finish this painting off!

There's a limit to how big the recording can get, unfortunately. The undo feature uses the recording to work (by re-loading the previously saved picture state and re-painting up to the last step), so that's why it stops working. Further brush strokes will be painted to the final result, but will not be added to the recording.

It's a bit of a shame, really. Since the original DS had only 4MBs of RAM, I suspected the strokes were saved in a format that could be streamed from/to the SD card. Maybe it *is* streaming, but they had to set a maximum filesize to prevent abuse, since it costs money to host the paintings online (and their website has no ads at all).

Yeah, I also find that the speed of the video is still too slow to watch back on the 3DS. It seems a bit faster on the pc but it does make good viewing when trying to understand how others have drawn their amazing pictures. I'm having a break from my major drawing but here's my first simple one done in under half an hour.

_107009.jpg

wow great!!
Actually, I don't like to spend a lot of time in environment but I'd love to represent such a place. Now I'm working on another stuff

Whenever I visit this thread and look through peoples galleries my head just fills up with ideas and inspirations, cues and hints about how to present my stuff better.

I think really what's most impressive about Colors3D is the community aspect.

Platy

I would recomend the homebrew DS version of Colors! ... but it seems it is no more avaliable in the official site ... this means that when I use it in my ds I'm doing something wrong ? o_O

I would recomend the homebrew DS version of Colors! ... but it seems it is no more avaliable in the official site ... this means that when I use it in my ds I'm doing something wrong ? o_O

Well, they no longer endorse it, anyways. As a registered Nintendo developer, they can't condone homebrew in any fashion. That and they are now selling similar applications.

Fox1304

Finally bought the app last night, would love to learn how to paint a little ...

Anyway, first painting :D

I need a real stylus now, it's hard to work with the default one, it's so small ...
So if anyone has a recommendation for a pen-shaped stylus, I'm all ears !

Spent €23 on 2000 Wii/DSi points because I'm an idiot and thought the 3DS would have used the same system. All I want is this bloody game D:

My newest piece is a concept of a new comic I would like to start once I finish University (hopefully) by the end of this year.

I like the Helmet design, and allthough it's not final, I guess the basic idea will remain the same.

The arm looks weird in 2D as I tried to make the perspective fit for a 3D viewing.

_130343.jpg

Here's the link.

Finally bought the app last night, would love to learn how to paint a little ...

I need a real stylus now, it's hard to work with the default one, it's so small ...

I like it. It really captures the Ghibli feel.

I'm using the stylus from my Wacom Tablet, but I would not recommend you buying one as they are quite expensive, but amazingly comfortable to hold.

A cheap alternative would be to search for some ballpoint pens with very smooth but thin cover caps. An empty and dry marker could also work. But they usually become thick when getting dry.

Did another zelda one. I specially like how the 3d turned out on this one.
_127507.jpg

Link: http://colorslive.com/details/127507-triforce_of_courage_by_spartacris.php

I absolutely love it. And yeah the 3D looks amazing.

Hey guys, a new piece by Lucsdf, a friend from another forum.

_119809.jpg

http://colorslive.com/details/119809-Zelda_Zoras_River_by_Lucsdf.php

This one is just batshit insane. The detail and light is just in another league.

Fox1304

I like it. It really captures the Ghibli feel.

I'm using the stylus from my Wacom Tablet, but I would not recommend you buying one as they are quite expensive, but amazingly comfortable to hold.

Thanks !

And wow, why haven't I thought about this ... I have one two meters from me. Will try, even if I just found a XL-lile stylus for cheap this aftenoon.

Chuckpebble

Ha, that's funny, I was using my Wacom stylus just last week. Its really quite comfortable. I was drawing a little comic for a school project on my computer and browsing the Colors gallery at the same time when it occurred to me to just put the 3DS stylus away.

Anybody try recalibrating their touch screen? I just did it because I realize that I don't use the stylus for any other software on my 3DS.

From the support page:
Question: When I paint, why doesn't the brush cursor always match the stylus position?

This is a consequence on how Nintendo exposed the stylus to us developers. There is no stylus movement reported at the 5 pixels closest to the screen edges. As we worked with that limitation, we decided that it was better to compensate for that and let the brush cursor position go all the way to the edge of the screen rather than have it hit an invisible barrier.

If you use Colors! 3D a lot, you can actually calibrate it to get around this. If you in the calibration screen touch the red circles a few pixels further out than you normally would, you will be able to paint accurately even at the edges of the screen. Of course, this has an slight effect on all other titles and while that is usually only noticeable during drawing and similar activities, you might only want to do that if you plan to spend a lot of time in Colors! 3D.

schlew

Just picked this up since I would really like a simple way to colour my drawings. Is there any way to fill in with a colour? Like in Paint when you use the bucket to fill an area in with a certain colour. Thanks.

Chuckpebble

Just picked this up since I would really like a simple way to colour my drawings. Is there any way to fill in with a colour? Like in Paint when you use the bucket to fill an area in with a certain colour. Thanks.

Nope, no bucket tool. There is a suggested new features post on their facebook community page though. That seems like a pretty popular request, I'd log in and give it a shot. They said they wanted to do an update, but they wanted it to be as big as possible to be worthwhile because they have to go through all of the certification process that takes place for that kind of thing.

Fiiiiinally got this and really love it. The controls become so intuitive. I stuck to a 2D drawing in the beginning as working in 3D was obscuring the image for me a bit.

Here is my first and only piece so far. So many mistakes made and things to learn but sooo much fun to use.
_150230.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Really cool, I love how Totoro's lines truly match Ghibli's brushstroke-interrupted style, also his facial expression is priceless, absolutely spot-on!

Did another zelda one. I specially like how the 3d turned out on this one.
_127507.jpg

Link: http://colorslive.com/details/127507-triforce_of_courage_by_spartacris.php

Niiiice. Looks like a... painting :)

Hey guys, a new piece by Lucsdf, a friend from another forum.

_119809.jpg

http://colorslive.com/details/119809-Zelda_Zoras_River_by_Lucsdf.php

o_O HOLY FUCKING BATMAN

He did that on 3DS's screen. Can't believe it, that's freakin' insane...

Top Bottom