• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 01/12/11. Nobody's sidekick, a Mighty end, McFarlane's milestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cbd_01122011.jpg

I waited an extra day before starting to make the new thread this time; Diamond's shipping list for the week seemed a little... anemic. So I was holding off to see if they would update with more releases, but they haven't. Ah well, maybe this week is slow for a reason. Like this wonderful weather we're having!

cbd_header02-1.png

Here is this week's Diamond Comics Shipping List for: Wednesday, January 12th 2011:

cbd_header03.png

Shipping This Week: DC Comics / Vertigo Comics / Wildstorm Comics

Spotlight On:
NOV100152 WONDER GIRL #1 $2.99

euQNl.jpg

Spinning out of the pages of TEEN TITANS comes this spotlight on Cassie Sandsmark, the wonderful Wonder Girl! Even though not every moment of Wonder Girl's life is spent being a Titan, strange adventures still follow her everywhere. In this issue, she'll cross paths with the odd new hero known as Solstice! Written by JT Krul, Artwork by Adriana Melo and Mariah Benes, Cover by Nicola Scott and Doug Hazlewood.

8Mpxd.jpg

K0rnx.jpg

6bxQ2.jpg

NOV100175 BATGIRL #17 $2.99
NOV100169 BATMAN AND ROBIN #19 $2.99
NOV100174 BIRDS OF PREY #8 $2.99
NOV100207 BOOSTER GOLD #40 $2.99
NOV100213 DOC SAVAGE #10 $2.99
NOV100192 GREEN LANTERN EMERALD WARRIORS #6 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
NOV100158 JUSTICE LEAGUE GENERATION LOST #17 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
NOV100170 KNIGHT & SQUIRE #4 $2.99
NOV100218 REBELS #24 $2.99
NOV100173 RED ROBIN #19 $2.99
NOV100219 SECRET SIX #29 $2.99
NOV100179 SUPERMAN #707 $2.99
NOV100220 THUNDER AGENTS #3 $2.99
NOV100210 TITANS #31 $2.99
NOV100280 UNWRITTEN #21 (MR) $2.99

cbd_header04.png

Shipping This Week: Marvel Comics

Spotlight On:
NOV100546 THOR MIGHTY AVENGER #8 $2.99

UKTOJ.jpg

SERIES FINALE. Grab the book that ComicsBulletin.com says “just keeps getting better and better, and it started out great.” Our hot-headed Asgardian has battled his way through a sea of robots…but he never expected there to be a MAN inside one of them! It’s THOR and IRON MAN together, for the very first time! Written by Roger Langridge, Artwork by Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson.

jt7h5.jpg

hPOCO.jpg

OCT100567 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #651 BIG $3.99
NOV100580 BLACK PANTHER MAN WITHOUT FEAR #514 $2.99
NOV100623 CASANOVA GULA #1 (MR) $3.99
NOV100570 CHAOS WAR DEAD AVENGERS #3 $3.99
NOV100583 DAREDEVIL REBORN #1 $3.99
NOV100593 DEADPOOL #31 $2.99
NOV100581 HEROES FOR HIRE #2 $2.99
NOV100568 INCREDIBLE HULKS #620 $3.99
NOV100564 WIDOW MAKER #3 $3.99
NOV100620 X-MEN FOREVER 2 #15 $3.99

cbd_header05.png

Shipping This Week: Image Comics / Top Cow Productions

Spotlight On:
DEC090346 SPAWN #200 $3.99

eq3zz.jpg

Eyy2I.jpg

In June of 1992 the first issue of TODD McFARLANE's SPAWN hit bookshelves in record numbers. Now, 17 years later, the new Spawn, Jim Downing, comes head to head with the biggest enemy of the Spawn universe, with his new sidekick Clown.

Can this dynamite duo team up long enough to survive the return of a ruthless Spawn villain? And what happens when GOD gets into the action? This double-sized issue is jam packed with over a dozen of comic's greatest creative talents. By Todd McFarlane, Robert Kirkman, Greg Capullo, and a cavalcade of guest artists.

qcXsZ.jpg

NOV100420 HACK SLASH ME WITHOUT YOU (ONE-SHOT) (MR) $3.50
NOV100460 HALCYON #3 $2.99
NOV100406 INFINITE VACATION #1 $3.50
NOV100469 SAVAGE DRAGON #168 $3.50
NOV100411 WALKING DEAD WEEKLY #2 (MR) $2.99

cbd_header06.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse Comics

Spotlight On:
NOV100024 BPRD HELL ON EARTH GODS #1 $3.50

QmHJy.jpg

As Texas goes to Hell, a group of homeless outcasts--led by a young woman who appears to have second sight--evade volcanic eruptions, mass hysteria, and man--eating monsters. When the B.P.R.D. take notice of this, the results turn out to be deadly.

Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi, and drawn by Eisner award winning artist Guy Davis, B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth--Gods is the first arc of the pivotal Gods and Monsters saga.

A B.P.R.D. arc unlike any other, jumping around in time, and introducing important new characters!

EeZn3.jpg

NOV100029 LET ME IN CROSSROADS #2 $3.99
NOV100021 STAR WARS KNIGHT ERRANT #4 AFLAME PT 4 $2.99

cbd_header07-1.png

Shipping This Week: IDW Publishing

Oddly enough, no IDW comics appear on Diamond's list this week.

cbd_header08-1.png

Shipping This Week: Antarctic Press / Aspen Comics / Avatar Press / Boom! Studios / Dynamite Entertainment / Fantagraphics / Oni Press / Radical Publishing / UDON Entertainment / Zenescope

Spotlight On:
NOV100816 STAN LEE STARBORN #2 $3.99

xuSEw.jpg

STAN'S BACK AS THE PUBLISHING EVENT OF THE YEAR CONTINUES! Stan Lee, the most colossal creative force in the history of comics, teams up with BOOM! Studios to deliver a brand new line of superhero comics! Stan joins New York Times bestselling author Chris Roberson (iZOMBIE, CINDERELLA: FROM FABLETOWN WITH LOVE) and fan-favorite artist Khary Randolph (SPIDER-MAN) to deliver Stan Lee's third, epic new ongoing series, STARBORN! Benjamin Warner is on the run! His entire world turns upside down as he fights to escape dangerous alien predators, but his greatest struggle is coming to terms with the biggest revelation of his life…Benjamin is actually an alien prince! Don’t miss out as Stan Lee makes comic book history…again!

N3Iss.jpg

NOV100766 FEVRE DREAM #10 (MR) $3.99
OCT100743 GOLD DIGGER #124 $2.99
OCT100959 GREEN HORNET GOLDEN AGE REMASTERED #6 $3.99
AUG100945 ROBERT JORDAN WHEEL OF TIME EYE O/T WORLD #1.5 $3.99

cbd_header09.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse / Bandai / Del Rey / Digital Manga Publishing / Tokyopop / Viz / Yen Press

Spotlight On:
OCT101179 KUROZAKURO GN VOL 02 $9.99

rs5SK.jpg

Mikito and Kugai encounter a powerful being called Suguri, who has been spreading ogre seeds and killing monsters wherever he goes. He wants to destroy Mikito, but he must battle Kugai and a special hunter named Gogyo first. Will Mikito unleash his awesome ogre powers? By Yoshinori Natsume.

Kurozakuro is the only manga title Diamond lists this week.

cbd_header10-1.png

Shipping This Week: Archie Comics / DC Kids / Marvel Kids / Bongo Comics / Boom! Studios / Kids' Comics / Electric Milk

Spotlight On:
OCT100906 UNCLE SCROOGE LIKE A HURRICANE TP $9.99

agVyf.jpg

Life is once again like a hurricane…here in Duckburg! So you know what that means…DUCKTALES ARE BACK!!! Gear up for adventure as one of the most cherished, fan-favorite Disney franchises explodes back onto the comics page! Join Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, Huey, Dewey, Louie and of course Launchpad McQuack as they solve a few mysteries and maybe rewrite some history in action packed adventures never before seen in the US! The Disney Afternoon Revolution is here! By Paul Halas, Tom Anderson, Doug Murray, and more.

CZUWU.jpg

NOV100247 ALL NEW BATMAN THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #3 $2.99
NOV100577 SUPER HEROES #10 $2.99
NOV100829 DONALD DUCK AND FRIENDS #362 $2.99

cbd_header11.png

Spotlight On:
NOV100646 NEW AVENGERS BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS PREM HC VOL 01 $24.99

uA4cF.jpg

Find out who the New Avengers are, where they call home (gotta see it to believe it!), which Dark Avenger has joined their ranks, and just who the interdimensional demonic threat to our existence is! These heroes have gathered to take on the threats too dark, too dangerous, and too bizarre for any other team of heroes. The New Avengers are back!! And Bendis & Immonen are back with the Siege & Secret Invasion colorista Laura Martin! Collecting NEW AVENGERS #1-6.

993DL.jpg

OvOD6.jpg

OCT100263 BATMAN JOKERS ASYLUM TP VOL 02 $14.99
OCT100317 CHILL TP (MR) $12.99
OCT100265 DOOM PATROL BROTHERHOOD TP $17.99
JUL100682 AVENGERS COMING OF BEAST PREM HC $19.99
NOV100642 DARK TOWER GUNSLINGER JOURNEY BEGINS PREM HC $24.99
NOV100665 KOOKABURRA K TP (MR) $19.99
NOV100644 ORSON SCOTT CARDS ENDER IN EXILE PREM HC $24.99
NOV100428 DARKCHYLDE TP VOL 01 LEGACY & REDEMPTION (MR) $16.99
NOV101013 ASTERIX TP VOL 06 ASTERIX & CLEOPATRA $9.95
OCT101087 SIXTH GUN TP VOL 01 $19.99

cbd_header12-1.png

Spotlight On:
MAY100294 BLACKEST NIGHT SER 7 ACTION FIGURES PI

OFinw.jpg

The hugely successful BLACKEST NIGHT action figure line continues! Included in this seventh installment of the series are: Black Lantern Superman, back from the dead…again; Sinestro Corps Member Arkillo, dissenter defeated, forever forced to wear his traitorous tongue around his neck; Red Lantern Mera, with a rage-filled heart, she allows the Red Ring of Power to drown her; Black Lantern Terra with Scar, resurrected to prey on the hearts of her former team members, Terra teams with near-death survivor Scar in an effort to eradicate all emotion in the Universe.

All five figures feature multiple points of articulation and include a display base. Character-appropriate accessories are also included.

5dwY4.jpg

JUL100804 FATHOM ASPEN MATTHEWS STATUE $299.99
OCT101524 GHOSTBUSTERS WAVE 1 RETRO ACTION FIGURES $25.99
JUL101653 GREEN HORNET 12-IN ACTION FIGURE PI
APR108064 WORLDS GREATEST DC HEROES RETRO ACTION FIGURES $25.99

cbd_header01.png

Online Retailers of Comic Books & Graphic Novels:

Online Subscription Services for Monthly Comics:

Get Comics Books on Your iPod, iPad & iPhone:

Comic Shop Locator:

cbd_header13.png

Comic Book Resources: DC Comics Solicitations for March 2011
Newsarama: DC Comics Solicitations for March 2011

Comic Book Resources: Marvel Comics Solicitations for March 2011
Newsarama: Marvel Comics Solicitations for March 2011

Comic Book Resources: Image Comics Solicitations for March 2011
Newsarama: Image Comics Solicitations for March 2011

Comic Book Resources: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for April 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for April 2011 *NEW*

Newsarama: Dynamite Entertainment Solicitations for March 2011

Newsarama: IDW Publishing Solicitations for March 2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want previews? Then here ya go, courtesy of Comic Book Resources and Newsarama . Enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder Girl (mostly because I wanna see if they even attempt to explain how she still exists without a Wonder Woman), Batgirl, Batman & Robin, Emerald Warriors, Generation Lost, Knight & Squire (pip pip cheerio!), Thor the Mighty (*sob*), and Batman: Brave and the Bold. Oh hell, may as well check out Spawn #200 too.

Happy reading! :D

Penguin

I think you should update your Diamond Comics link

TXT version anyhow.

And here are my picks:
BATMAN AND ROBIN #19
BIRDS OF PREY #8 $2.99
BOOSTER GOLD #40
GREEN LANTERN EMERALD WARRIORS #6
JUSTICE LEAGUE GENERATION LOST #17
RED ROBIN #19
SECRET SIX #29
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #651

IrishNinja

hey! B.P.R.D., some new Walking Dead (what is this?), and a double-dose of daredevil that im not yet sure i want...good looking week, anyway.
i will totally rubberneck Spawn 200, ive followed the last arc or so just to see what goes down. i know he's a 90s leftover, but there was a handful of fun stories in the day, and not just the ones Mcfarlane got better people to write and then stole their characters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
IrishNinja said:
hey! B.P.R.D., some new Walking Dead (what is this?), and a double-dose of daredevil that im not yet sure i want...good looking week, anyway.
It's just reprints of the series, nothing new.

Read Spawn #1
Read Spawn until Cy-Gor is introduced
discard Spawn
If you never read Spawn again you will always remember it fondly as totally bad-ass and without flaw, just like me.

vazel

Banned
I am disgusted at having been a big proponent of heavyink after reading this. There's also this thread at heavyink I'm reading through. For those that were using the site and find this as offensive as I do good alternatives for subscriptions I'm hearing are tfaw.com and dcbservice.com. I have yet to try them but I think I'm going with tfaw.com.

Edit: It's disgusting how Travis has responded in that heavyink thread. He is unapologetic. This also seems to be spreading more than he'd like to think I hope it has a serious impact on the site.

Comic creators are talking back. Here's Warren Ellis' reaction. The guy who does Atomic Robo has cut direct ties to heavyink. And Dwayne McDuffie is calling for a boycott. Michael Lark posted in that heavyink thread.

vectorman06 said:
I have a question concerning payment for DC Comics and Marvel app..

Can you use itune cards as payment or paypal?
I'm actually curious to know the answer to this as well. In fact, I was thinking of making a "so you want to buy your comics digitally" how-to guide for GAF this year; only problem is, a) I don't buy my comics digitally and b) I don't actually own an idevice (pad/pod/phone/whatever) or have iTunes installed on my PC. So me making that kind of thread would basically be the "blind leading the blind". I don't even know what specific titles are available through the apps.

If anyone wants to go ahead and make one, I'll support you 100%.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't already, you can sign up for Dark Horse's newsletter to be eligible to win every DH digital comic released in 2011 when their online service goes live later this month. Deadline for entry is this Friday.

http://digital.darkhorse.com/coming-2011

Mr. Sam said:
So I should by Thor Mighty Avenger when it comes out collected?
Yes, but with a tiny caveat. They already put out one volume collecting issues 1-4, but it's digest sized. And the paper stock isn't that great. :/

Such a shame.

favouriteflavour said:
Goodbye Thor The Mighty Avenger, you were too beautiful for this world :(

On another note why has the Batman and Robin logo changed?

It's just for the Iconic covers.

Sweet, sweet Iconic covers...

Anyone else reading Starborn, the Boom studios "Stan Lee" title? The first issue was awesome and i'm gonna keep picking em up

also, is it a mini series or ongoing?

Dead

well not really...yet
WascallyWabbit said:
Anyone else reading Starborn, the Boom studios "Stan Lee" title? The first issue was awesome and i'm gonna keep picking em up

also, is it a mini series or ongoing?
Yeah, I picked up the first issue and quite liked it. Awesome art as well. Definitely getting the second.

Mr. Sam

Spike Spiegel said:
Yes. YES. A thousand times, yes.

Sounds like a recommendation to me.

Odious Tea said:
Yes, but with a tiny caveat. They already put out one volume collecting issues 1-4, but it's digest sized. And the paper stock isn't that great. :/
Such a shame.

I'll do my best to get it in the highest quality form then. And I'll rely on Spike's OPs to tell me when whatever comes out.

Edit: I wrote "by" instead of "buy"? Forever ashamed.

Thor the Mighty was sooooo good, it ended just the way I hoped it would. No last-minute, "gotta wrap this up with a proper ending" resolution that would have presented Thor with a quick fix way back to Asgard. Instead, it was just another issue, another great story in a series of great stories, capped by a final farewell page from the creators. Business as usual, and without that last page you'd swear they were coming back next month.

Spike Spiegel said:
Thor the Mighty was sooooo good, it ended just the way I hoped it would. No last-minute, "gotta wrap this up with a proper ending" resolution that would have presented Thor with a quick fix way back to Asgard. Instead, it was just another issue, another great story in a series of great stories, capped by a final farewell page from the creators. Business as usual, and without that last page you'd swear they were coming back next month.

cue girlish sobbing from me...

i hate you marvel, for cancelling the only thor book i've ever read/bought

-Mikey-

Foob said:
oh god infinite vacation
I walked past this a few times and decided on passing. Was it good?

Anyone familiar with Casanova? I saw Fabio Moon and am a little interested but my LCS didn't have it in.

-Mikey- said:

Anyone familiar with Casanova? I saw Fabio Moon and am a little interested but my LCS didn't have it in.

Good luck. I think it's sold out/selling out eveyrwhere.

It was great. Almost guaranteed to be a phenomenal TV show one day.

And Casanova is amazing. My highest possible recommendation.

comedy bomb said:
I think that Liefeld variant of Spawn 200 might have a foot on it. A FOOT!!!!!:lol
I was looking at all of the covers at the shop yesterday, and honestly the Liefeld cover is one of the better looking ones IMO. I still bought the Lee cover, but Rob's was probably my second choice.

Also, had no idea what was going on. Spawn's a white guy now?

Mr. Sam

Spike Spiegel said:
I was looking at all of the covers at the shop yesterday, and honestly the Liefeld cover is one of the better looking ones IMO. I still bought the Lee cover, but Rob's was probably my second choice.

Also, had no idea what was going on. Spawn's a white guy now?

Last I checked, he was stuck in the life of the white guy he transformed into during some of the first issues.

Mr. Sam said:
Last I checked, he was stuck in the life of the white guy he transformed into during some of the first issues.
I guess I'll have to visit Wikipedia for a bit before taking another look.

Anyhoo, some unpleasant news for the industry today... Diamond has joined other book publishers/distributors and suspended shipments to Borders over unpaid bills.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/diamond-puts-borders-on-hold/

Mr. Sam

vazel said:
Am I the only one not feeling the VA in this All-Star Superman clip. It felt so stilted I laughed out loud at that scene.

I dunno - it seems decent enough. I just think it's weird that Lex and Superman share the same freaky face, complete with big lips.

krypt0nian said:
I don't think it's anything to do with the Superboy punch stuff.

It's just time tampering.

Well, Morrisson said Batman Inc. even had a link to the Punch.

I hope it's a not a plot device to allow stupid retcon, but I wish it's going to give us a good sci-fi story, like Blackest Night.

Vyer

vazel said:
I am disgusted at having been a big proponent of heavyink after reading this. There's also this thread at heavyink I'm reading through. For those that were using the site and find this as offensive as I do good alternatives for subscriptions I'm hearing are tfaw.com and dcbservice.com. I have yet to try them but I think I'm going with tfaw.com.

Edit: It's disgusting how Travis has responded in that heavyink thread. He is unapologetic. This also seems to be spreading more than he'd like to think I hope it has a serious impact on the site.

Comic creators are talking back. Here's Warren Ellis' reaction. The guy who does Atomic Robo has cut direct ties to heavyink. And Dwayne McDuffie is calling for a boycott. Michael Lark posted in that heavyink thread.

Whoa, that's crazy.

Whoa. I"d missed that post about the Heavy Ink stuff. That's goddamn insane. Even if the dude does believe it, why the hell would he say it publicly; you have to know that it's gonna fuck your business up.

besiktas1

I think I want to try reading comics again. I need help where to start. Don't want to go WAY back :/

I'm interested in; Batman, maybe Deadpool or something. Anything else "good"?

tim1138

I'm happy to see GL: Emerald Warriors is finally picking up its pace a bit. But I guess it has to with the whole War of the Green Lanterns starting in a couple months. I really liked Bleez's solution to
taking out the planetary guards from the asteroid
As much as I wish Larfleeze was getting his on solo book, I am looking forward to the Red Lantern book launching this year--I think there's potential there for some interesting stories to be told.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Littleberu said:
Well, Morrisson said Batman Inc. even had a link to the Punch.

I hope it's a not a plot device to allow stupid retcon, but I wish it's going to give us a good sci-fi story, like Blackest Night.

Johns?! Retcon something? WELL I NEVER!

besiktas1 said:
I think I want to try reading comics again. I need help where to start. Don't want to go WAY back :/

I'm interested in; Batman, maybe Deadpool or something. Anything else "good"?

batman is really good right now, but I would actually advise that you go back and read Morrison's run of Batman and Batman and Robin.

Actually, just go read 52 and start from there.

Foob

Odious Tea said:

-Mikey- said:

Real good. There were a couple pages with real life photographs that I hated, but the art and design of the book as a whole is stunning. Neat concept, too.

Also, Casanova is awesome.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
TheOddOne said:
NOV100580 BLACK PANTHER MAN WITHOUT FEAR #514

Yes, GOD YES.

gotta pick that one up. the last one was great and i kinda prefer t'challa like this. and i also see that they could be thinking of a way out him and storm, which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom