• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day, 7/22/09: Amazing Spider-Man #600, Incredible Hulk #600, Power Girl #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
I read Hulk 600...

Its actually REALLY impressive just how nonsensical it is. It literally makes no sense whatsoever in any way.

KAOz

Short bus special
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Just read Kick-Ass, #1. I love the feeling of this book. Up next in the queue is Deadpool #1-12 and then due to many recommendations the entire run of Preacher.

Anything else people recommend for any ongoing or completed series? Quitting a job can be so much fun!

If you enjoyed Preacher, I recommend "The Boys" by Garth Ennis. It is currently on-going and is fucking amazing. He claimed himself it's going to "Out-Preach Preacher".

It's about a squad of humans trying to take down superheroes. Set in a world like ours, and how it would be if they existed for real. Very crude, evil and hilarious with some amazing parodies of X-men, Batman, League of Justice and many more.

Plus, one of the main-characters, Wee Hughey, is modeled after Simon Pegg. :p
efi53b.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Thank you Paul Cornell even if for only two pages bringing back Death's Head II!

Man I've missed that character, I absolutely loved that series!!!

msv

Finally had some spare, spare money this week, so I thought I'd check out some comics/manga. Manga were pretty reasonably priced, but ugh, the comics are so damn expensive. In the end I just picked up Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1 for €20. I've been searching online for some good stores, but I can't seem to find any. Amazon was pretty cheap, but I don't have a credit card, and I'm not gonna apply for one. Anyone know good comic book stores in 'round here in the Netherlands maybe even Belgium/Germany?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I read Tom Strong's Terrific Tales vol 1 yesterday. Somehow. Steve Moore is an awful writer, and Alan Moore's 8 page stories were largely uninteresting too. Gonna have to steel myself to make it through volume 2, if I bother trying.

I'm in the middle of the big edition vol. 4 of Vagabond. The sequence with Yagyu Sekishusai was so amazing, this is hands down the best manga I've ever read.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
LiveFromKyoto said:
I'm in the middle of the big edition vol. 4 of Vagabond. The sequence with Yagyu Sekishusai was so amazing, this is hands down the best manga I've ever read.

:D

EviLore said:

At this point he's about 2 years into it, and you can tell he's really put a lot of thinking into what he wants to say here; profundity and manga aren't usually two things that go together, but there it is. The only drawback is that he still relies on the stock manga cliches of "GASP!!!" expressions as cliffhangers or reactions to every little thing (come on, these are stoic badass samurai, right?), but really, that's not even a quibble given how well he's handled everything else. You can tell he "gets it".

Blader

EviLore said:
I read Tom Strong's Terrific Tales vol 1 yesterday. Somehow. Steve Moore is an awful writer, and Alan Moore's 8 page stories were largely uninteresting too. Gonna have to steel myself to make it through volume 2, if I bother trying.

IIRC, Terrific Tales wasn't all that good (and the other spin-offs were even worse). I don't think you'd be missing anything just sticking to the original series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom