• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
He looked like your typical, middle-aged, overweight geek with a backpack and glasses. I was wondering where he got the money to spend this much every week. The clerks seemed to know him by name.

Maybe he was a monthly customer? Or maybe he was just buying an awful lot of really shitty comics :p

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just picked up Batman The Dark Knight, Uncharted (hey, I'm an Uncharted fanboy), The Mighty Thor, Justice League, and I Vampire. Can't wait to read them when I get off work.

Also, I saw a guy spend $80 on comics today. Not trades or hardcovers, but literally $80 on single issues. That shit cray.

Guys and girls like him is keeping the local comic store in business.

Guys and girls like him is keeping the local comic store in business.

When the midtown Midtown Comics was my LCS for Wednesdays, there used to be this one guy there every Wednesday morning (The AM: When Real Readers Get They Comics) and he'd buy two large stacks of trades, every week. Here's the weird thing, he wasn't a stereotypical wolfshirt, he was a stereotypical hipster. Rolled up sleeves on a button down short sleeve, trucker cap, the whole nine.

Cray.

Valravn

Im reading Bendis's run on Daredevil.

So good.

After that i have to wait till Brubaker's run is released as paperback editions.

Blader

When the midtown Midtown Comics was my LCS for Wednesdays, there used to be this one guy there every Wednesday morning (The AM: When Real Readers Get They Comics) and he'd buy two large stacks of trades, every week. Here's the weird thing, he wasn't a stereotypical wolfshirt, he was a stereotypical hipster. Rolled up sleeves on a button down short sleeve, trucker cap, the whole nine.

Cray.

wait a minute wait a minute...

How do you roll up sleeves on a short sleeve?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Cray.

Fucking lol @ wolfshirt! That's going in my personal lexicon.

Also, maybe he was buying them for his co-op organic fairtrade coffee-shop/record store

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Cray.

Funny, that's the exact store I saw this dude at. Haha.

Okay, now I understand why everybody thinks Kevin Smith is terrible.

He reveals himself as the unoriginal thinker that ascribes to the "Tell me what kind of Spiderman you want, so I can give you that Spiderman" school of thinking. Listening to SModcast and he starts blabbing about just refitting existing popular characters to cater to every demographic.

:X

NO!

NEW. IDEAS!

Viewt

So Scott Snyder leaked a page from Batman #6 to iFanboy today (Batman #5 broke a site record and got ~93% of the community to make it their Pick of the Week):

PnqhN.jpg

via iFanboy

That eye, man. THAT EYE.

the chris

He reveals himself as the unoriginal thinker that ascribes to the "Tell me what kind of Spiderman you want, so I can give you that Spiderman" school of thinking. Listening to SModcast and he starts blabbing about just refitting existing popular characters to cater to every demographic.

NO!

NEW. IDEAS!
I've written off Kevin Smith after he made Black Cat a rape victim and his terrible Batman mini-series.

So Scott Snyder leaked a page from Batman #6 to iFanboy today (Batman #5 broke a site record and got ~93% of the community to make it their Pick of the Week):

PnqhN.jpg

via iFanboy

That eye, man. THAT EYE.

I might have to check this out.

You mean to tell me Scott Snyder isn't writing fanfic unbeatable prep time Batman?! :O

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

I've written off Kevin Smith after he made Black Cat a rape victim and his terrible Batman mini-series.

Oh god yes.

That was terrible.

I also use that as an arguing point for why Marvel/DC no longer put top artistic talent on female lead books. :X

notworksafe

NO!

NEW. IDEAS!

C'mon man, that was hilarious! Funniest Smodcast in a while. I'm in for Black Batman movie series starring Idris, Denzel, and Morgan Freeman. After that, White Luke Cage series!

Viewt

I might have to check this out.

You mean to tell me Scott Snyder isn't writing fanfic unbeatable prep time Batman?! :O

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

Some quick catch-up (spoilers if you haven't been reading Batman and are very particular about not knowing anything going in):

Batman thinks he knows everything about Gotham City. A series of incidents occur relating to the mythic Court of Owls, a centuries-old order in Gotham that Bruce doesn't believe actually exists. So you have Batman facing people who he knows literally nothing about who appear to know a shitload about him. He has zero upperhand and is getting his ass kicked at the moment. They lured him into a maze and have been drugging his only water supply for a week. Now that he's slowly going insane, the Court of Owls has their assassin, Talon, dispatched to kill him in the maze. The last issue ended with Bats getting gutted with a knife, which is where that page picks up from.

Plus, that Greg Capullo art, man. I had some reservations about him going in, but the guy's a star.

C'mon man, that was hilarious! Funniest Smodcast in a while. I'm in for Black Batman movie series starring Idris, Denzel, and Morgan Freeman. After that, White Luke Cage series!

Jerkface. :mad: I was also super high...that may have helped.

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS, PLAYING JURI AND LAUGHING AT HIGH KEVIN SMITH LAUGHING AT HIS OWN SHIT!

The best part of White Luke Cage is it would prove nobody gives a shit either way. :p

notworksafe

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS, PLAYING JURI AND LAUGHING AT HIGH KEVIN SMITH LAUGHING AT HIS OWN SHIT!

The best part of White Luke Cage is it would prove nobody gives a shit either way. :p

You sound jealous!

I especially liked that when making the White Luke Cage joke he couldn't remember Luke Cage's powers.

"So he's just a white guy who's strong...or...does whatever Luke Cage does".

Also, I saw a guy spend $80 on comics today. Not trades or hardcovers, but literally $80 on single issues. That shit cray.

I dropped 40 yesterday in order to catch up on new52 books. If I wasn't a relatively poor college kid I could have easily broke 100 on single issues. Now, if that was a regular purchase for the dude, he's either rich or insane.

Some quick catch-up (spoilers if you haven't been reading Batman and are very particular about not knowing anything going in):

Batman thinks he knows everything about Gotham City. A series of incidents occur relating to the mythic Court of Owls, a centuries-old order in Gotham that Bruce doesn't believe actually exists. So you have Batman facing people who he knows literally nothing about who appear to know a shitload about him. He has zero upperhand and is getting his ass kicked at the moment. They lured him into a maze and have been drugging his only water supply for a week. Now that he's slowly going insane, the Court of Owls has their assassin, Talon, dispatched to kill him in the maze. The last issue ended with Bats getting gutted with a knife, which is where that page picks up from.

Plus, that Greg Capullo art, man. I had some reservations about him going in, but the guy's a star.

What the?!

This sounds better than every Bat-thing shat onto paper in the past 10 years.

Has anyone read the Dark Matter series that just started? I've been looking for a good science fiction comic (not Star Wars) and was hoping to get some opinions from you guys.

edit: Thanks for all the replies everyone, lol

notworksafe

You should all listen to Tell 'Em Steve-Dave. It's as good as SModcast used to be.

Both are still equally funny and not, imo. Bry has as many unfunny self-pity moments as Kev has stoner moments where he forgets everything.

I made a SModcast Network OT but it never got anywhere. :(

Viewt

The only weird thing about Greg Capullo's art is the way he draws eyes occasionally. Like in this scene:

Batman+04+RiZZ3N-Zone+pg07.jpg

It looks like Bruce and Dick are going to start furiously fucking any second.

notworksafe

Yeah, but Bry doesn't talk over Q and Walt, whereas Mosier gets in about ten words per SModcast.

Probably for the best, as Mosier plays a better straight man than funny man. Like I said, this week was the funniest in a while. Worth listening even if you've fallen out of interest with the show.

Mr. Sam

Probably for the best, as Mosier plays a better straight man than funny man. Like I said, this week was the funniest in a while. Worth listening even if you've fallen out of interest with the show.

I still listen, I still laugh, and I still like it. I just don't think it meets its own high standards as often as it could. The reason I read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing was because of how well Kevin sold it.

Are you referring to Guardian Devil? I thought that was a pretty great arc, and is considered one of the ten greatest DD stories ever told by most aficionados.

You've piqued my interest. To Amazon!

Alucard

Banned
I still listen, I still laugh, and I still like it. I just don't think it meets its own high standards as often as it could. The reason I read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing was because of how well Kevin sold it.

You've piqued my interest. To Amazon!

Much of the first Daredevil movie uses a lot of the imagery from the Guardian Devil arc.

dd-cover.jpg

It's an arc that really focuses a lot on Matt's relationship with faith, and the reveal of the villain utterly shocked me the first time I read it many years ago.

notworksafe

Agreed on the bolded. Mainly I'm just unimpressed with live shows.

And since I want to at least bring this back to comics, Kevin Smith's Bionic Man is enjoyable. CBR has previews for the first five issues up here.

Alucard

Banned
The third part of the Waid interview is really good. He talks about why he made the choice to make DD more of a fun and positive superhero book, instead of going the dark and brooding route. He wants variety on the shelves, and is basically tired of guys just moping around questioning themselves, instead of going out, kicking ass, and doing good things for others instead of for themselves.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Funnily enough I'm listening to this episode right now, it's a good one. But then again, I like Kevin and listen to a bunch of his podcasts, so I obviously have no taste. Really looking forward to his mythic Fatman on Batman pod if he ever gets around to it. And Comic Men is going to be a hoot, seeing a US TV version of TESD. Super fast editing and dramatic stings ahoy!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Mark Waid's Daredevil makes me feel better about all comics in general.

Ugh I want that daredevil so bad, but soft covers is where its at. But it does have awesome art... is it over sized? Ill get it if its over sized...

Also, I submitted a comics proposal to Image a couple nights ago. Hopefully they decide to pick it up.

Mark Waid's Daredevil makes me feel better about all comics in general.

I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz about Waid's run. I think I'll pick up the first hardbound trade. It collects issues 1 - 6, right?

I noticed that issue 8 is available on the Marvel comics app and it continues from where ASM #677 left off. I think I'll download those today. Was issue 7 a stand-alone book?

Alucard

Banned
I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz about Waid's run. I think I'll pick up the first hardbound trade. It collects issues 1 - 6, right?

I noticed that issue 8 is available on the Marvel comics app and it continues from where ASM #677 left off. I download those today. Was issue 7 a stand-alone book?

Yes it was, but it showed that stand-alone stories can still pack a lot of plot while broadening the hero's personality, and helping the book to grow.

Yes it was, but it showed that stand-alone stories can still pack a lot of plot while broadening the hero's personality, and helping the book to grow.

Nice. Hopefully Marvel will get off their stingy asses and upload that issue to their app.

These days, I only buy digital monthlies and hardbound trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom