• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm24

why the hell did they even hire him if they were gonna be fucknuts about the whole thing and not let him write it?

Because this is DC comics! The same company who nearly fucked up a 4yr build on Batman for the sake of a short term spike in sales! And continues to give Leifeld work!

ReiGun

It really is a shame that "Static Shock" turned out the way it did. Going into the New 52, it was one of the books I was most excited for, but I couldn't bring myself to read it beyond the first issue. :/

Why wouldn't he mention it to someone who could do something about it?

Because this is DC comics! The same company who nearly fucked up a 4yr build on Batman for the sake of a short term spike in sales! And continues to give Leifeld work!

Hahaha Snyder's Batman is easily the equal of Morrison's run.

New52 got new readers in. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Staying the course just let's nature take it course and forfeiting the comics industry in a decade. In relation to that consequence, fuck every and all storylines.

jackdoe

Hahaha Snyder's Batman is easily the equal of Morrison's run.

New52 got new readers in. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Staying the course just let's nature take it course and forfeiting the comics industry in a decade. In relation to that consequence, fuck every and all storylines.
It hasn't gone on long enough for me to make a conclusive decision as to whether it will match the crazy beats of Morrison's run, but it is without a doubt an excellent run. Just read through the entire Black Mirror HC and it was brilliant.

As for the New 52, well it made Superman interesting again after two years of very poor stories (New Krypton followed by Grounded) so I'm enjoying the reboot for the most part.

RedSwirl

Has anyone here tried reading comics on Kindle? If I did it would be on the Kindle iPad app. There are a few long series that I've been thinking of getting into (Last Metropolitan, stuff like that) that aren't on the official comic apps and some of these Kindle trade book prices look really good.

Has anyone here tried reading comics on Kindle? If I did it would be on the Kindle iPad app. There are a few long series that I've been thinking of getting into (Last Metropolitan, stuff like that) that aren't on the official comic apps and some of these Kindle trade book prices look really good.

Target stores have Kindle Fire demo units with comics on them.

Go see for yourself.

No way in hell would I read a comic on a B&W e-paper Kindle. Not unless they released it with the color stripped out, otherwise it will be a fucking mess.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
man i hate that superboy costume but ill concede that its better than jeans and a t shirt

Its a horrible costume, and right now he is a horrible person so it fits perfectly.
If he looked cool (like some other villains out there) id be really conflicted....but since his suit is shit i can easily say i HATE everything about Superboy.
I was sad when WonderGirl didnt hold a candle to him last issue....what a fucking loser hitting such a hot girl for no real reason.....punk.

Edit: Where is Donna Troy??

Satch

Banned
Its a horrible costume, and right now he is a horrible person so it fits perfectly.
If he looked cool (like some other villains out there) id be really conflicted....but since his suit is shit i can easily say i HATE everything about Superboy.
I was sad when WonderGirl didnt hold a candle to him last issue....what a fucking loser hitting such a hot girl for no real reason.....punk.

Edit: Where is Donna Troy??
fuck cassie tbh

donna's with wally in that big comic book in the sky :(

I've bought some for my fire and I'm more ok with it than I thought I would be. I've mostly bought a bunch of Hack/Slash and Birds of Prey but I want to switch off the paper books but its hard. I did quit a whole bunch of DC and I'll be buying them on there..I just wish Marvel did the price drop thing and that they'd get more Dark Horse on there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Alright Comic-GAF need some help here. I've wanted to read a good series that is spy/metal gear/covert-ops ish. A friend recommended Secret Warriors. I read it and loved it. Now I got nothing to read. Suggestions?

Well it's not really Metal-Gear-ish but Queen and Country is the best spy book ever made. Written by Greg Rucka, it's real-world politics and spy games and it's fantastic. Dense and confusing at first, by the end you will be intimately familiar with terms like oblique SIS and D-Ops and D-Int and Minders. It's incredible. Great art throughout as well with rotating teams on every arc.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I've been reading American Vampire and it's not really doing it for me. I don't know what it is - the characters, the art, the plot. Something is just a little off. I keep comparing it to I, Vampire, which is infinitely better IMO. AV just seems too childish and predictable, whereas IV handles the concept with maturity and style.

Good thing there's a new issue of IV coming out this week! :)

You know, I've been reading American Vampire and it's not really doing it for me. I don't know what it is - the characters, the art, the plot. Something is just a little off. I keep comparing it to I, Vampire, which is infinitely better IMO. AV just seems too childish and predictable, whereas IV handles the concept with maturity and style.

Good thing there's a new issue of IV coming out this week! :)

For me the characters make AmVamp. I don't feel anything for the IV duo. It *is* pretty and I like it but zero connection.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
For me the characters make AmVamp. I don't feel anything for the IV duo. It *is* pretty and I like it but zero connection.

This. IV doesn't really even have characters yet. They are just avatars for ideals.

Marvel has begun offering digital trades via Comixology. Not sure how this compares to the trade pricing on Nook Color, but the prices, while varying widely, look fairly reasonable - all are priced significantly below print MSRP, with a fair number actually priced below what you'd pay for a new print copy on Amazon.

25 dollars for a digital version of Age of Apocalypse Book 2??? Really???? Is that how it's gonna be?

Nesotenso

Walt Simonson Thor Cover

y6Gse.jpg

Marcos Martin Daredevil #10.1 cover

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It really is a shame that "Static Shock" turned out the way it did. Going into the New 52, it was one of the books I was most excited for, but I couldn't bring myself to read it beyond the first issue. :/

That's how I am feeling about the new blue beetle.

Comics bought on the kindle fire can only be viewed on the kindle fire and not on any kindle app like the ones for ipad.

Interesting, AvX crossovers don't appear to be lasting long. One issue of Secret Avengers is in AvX, the next isn't....

Maybe they've learned? I don't mind a bit of crossover presence, but when something jams itself into an ongoing story for months at a time, it's horribly distracting, even if I'[m following that event.

Spider Island did it right.

That's a good thing. 12 issues of main book more than enough.

Maybe they've learned? I don't mind a bit of crossover presence, but when something jams itself into an ongoing story for months at a time, it's horribly distracting, even if I'[m following that event.

Spider Island did it right.

For sure, SI should be the gold standard of how to do it. Perfect continuity, worthy stories, etc. It's just weird, especially if Secret Avengers goes back to it the month after, it'll be AvX - Regular - AvX - Regular.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out....

I have to say, reading all these solicits remind me of being a kid and poring over the solicits for The Evolutionary War and Inferno and just totally geeking out in my imagination...

I love comics, you guys.

Viewt

Does Walt Simonson not draw that many comics anymore out of choice or because Marvel doesn't hire him anymore?

Simonson's just an older guy now. He's going to be drawing Bendis's last issues of Avengers, and Marvel probably couldn't be happier. The dude's a master artist, and he's done good stuff for them in the past, but it's probably a situation similar to George Perez. He keeps his feet wet with a project here and there and that's about it.

Just as an anecdote, he and his wife, Louise Simonson (of Superman and X-Factor fame), are two of the nicest people ever.

EDIT: That Daredevil cover is sexy as hell. Marcos Martin on some David Aja shit.

Simonson's just an older guy now. He's going to be drawing Bendis's last issues of Avengers, and Marvel probably couldn't be happier. The dude's a master artist, and he's done good stuff for them in the past, but it's probably a situation similar to George Perez. He keeps his feet wet with a project here and there and that's about it.

Just as an anecdote, he and his wife, Louise Simonson (of Superman and X-Factor fame), are two of the nicest people ever.

EDIT: That Daredevil cover is sexy as hell. Marcos Martin on some David Aja shit.

I figured that was the case. I've heard creators talk about ageism at the big two though. As soon as you hit a certain age they just cut you off. Walt might be an exception though since he's a bigger name guy.

I figured that was the case. I've heard creators talk about ageism at the big two though. As soon as you hit a certain age they just cut you off. Walt might be an exception though since he's a bigger name guy.

That's odd, I've always felt there was a lot of work for older dudes. George Perez, Klaus Janson, Neal Adams, Lee Weeks, etc.

That's odd, I've always felt there was a lot of work for older dudes. George Perez, Klaus Janson, Neal Adams, Lee Weeks, etc.

They rarely ever put them on books that "matter" though. George Perez might do a book here and there but he's never going to draw Marvel's big summer crossover or something like Justice League. I think the general opinion is that artists reach a point where they stop being "hot" and don't get placed front and center (there are a few exceptions obviously, like the guy that currently runs DC).

tm24

Holy crap that cover. For some reason i thought he was dead. Glad this is gonna happen

And Simonson is at least getting put on a pretty big selling book for a big crossover tie-in on a writers last arc on a book. That's huge right?

Alucard

Banned
I'm dropping Uncanny X-Force and Action Comics. I'll probably be dropping Batman as well.

Uncanny X-Force is fun and all, but at the end of the day I just ask myself, "what's the point?" I don't take much away from the issues that I read. Outside of "how far is too far? Where is the line of morality drawn?" questions, the book just doesn't feel like it's for me. So many things happen at one time that it's hard to digest it all. While the artwork is beautiful, the dialogue is punchy, and the references to X history are all nice, I just don't see the bigger picture.

Action Comics started out beautifully. I loved the first two issues, and even enjoyed the third. The past two have left me scratching my head. #4 felt like a totally different book, and I'm just lost as to what Morrisson did in #5. I was hoping that he would continue examining Superman as a working class hero, and not as a messiah figure.

Batman...owls? Not interested, and there's nothing to take home at the end of the day. I just don't find Batman to be that interesting of a character.

That'll bring my monthly haul down to two books...Daredevil and Green Arrow. I know, Green Arrow? I'm just waiting around to see what Ann Nocenti does with the character. She did some great stuff on DD back in the day, so I'm curious to see how she handles my favourite DC hero.

They rarely ever put them on books that "matter" though. George Perez might do a book here and there but he's never going to draw Marvel's big summer crossover or something like Justice League. I think the general opinion is that artists reach a point where they stop being "hot" and don't get placed front and center (there are a few exceptions obviously, like the guy that currently runs DC).

I always kind of figured in this industry at least they're getting steady work. It seems way harder for writers. Although when I think about it, there seems to be around the same amount of older writers and artists still working: like six each.

Phil Noto doing an issue of Uncanny X-Force sounds good. This sounds like a one-off kind of story, so hopefully Opena is right around the corner!

Phil Noto doing an issue of Uncanny X-Force sounds good. This sounds like a one-off kind of story, so hopefully Opena is right around the corner!

I'm just glad that one image scraped some of the last issue taint out of my system.

Good god, they owe me money from last issue.

I'm just glad that one image scraped some of the last issue taint out of my system.

Good god, they owe me money from last issue.

I have mentally scrubbed the rare issues of Uncanny X-Force with shitty looking artwork out of my head.

Can't wait for the series to come back off hiatus in April!

Also, Winter Soldier has Bucky fighting a giant talking gorilla carrying a minigun!

WS2012004_cov.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom