• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
Is there any other Brubaker/Phillips collab i should check out?

51BKDSYMPKL._SS500_.jpg

Be sure to check out Brubaker and Lark's (Phillips inks after the first issue) Scene of the Crime miniseries for Vertigo. It's just a really rich character-driven detective story. Sadly it seems to be out of print.

Owzers

Hey guys/gals, what's a good place to start with Deadpool?

Way is leaving Deadpool, so maybe wait until someone takes it over if you want Marvel 616 continuity. Otherwise i'd recommend Deadpool Max. It's weird though....you are warned.

deadpool-max-cover2.jpg

There is an oversized hardcover collecting all of Deadpool Max coming out in October this year for a reasonable msrp of $34.99 for 18+ issues

In other news, Marvel Digital Unlimited put up a block of the recent Journey into Mystery issues, i'll finally be able to catch up.

Read this Punk Rock Jesus brahs.

Valiant continue to bring it, this time with Bloodshot and Harbringer. I'm going to start tracing like Greg Land and LaRocca so I can create comics now.

So i'm really interested in reading up on Ant-Man with the new movie coming out and his role in the Avengers cartoon. I got Ant-Man season one and irredeemable ant-man what are the other storyines/runs that I should check out for this character?

is there a way to "add to cart" comics in comixology? my credit card got blocked for a while because it suddenly got 18 transaction of $1 each lol.

Acrylic7

Usagi Yojimbo is fantastic.

Stan Sakai is one of the best cartoonists and letterers working today.

I thought at some point they were supposed to release an omnibus volume? A few years back.

It looks cool
I want to try it out, but I was just on Darkhorse and Amazon and couldn't find a Volume 1.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Usagi Yojimbo is fantastic.

Stan Sakai is one of the best cartoonists and letterers working today.

I thought at some point they were supposed to release an omnibus volume? A few years back.

Fantagraphics did: http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/usagi-yojimbo-the-special-edition-2.html It kept getting delayed, but finally came out at the very end of 2010.

I made sure to score a copy while it was in print. It's massive, and gorgeous.

It looks cool
I want to try it out, but I was just on Darkhorse and Amazon and couldn't find a Volume 1.

Volume 1 is right here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0930193350/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fantagraphics has the rights to the first 7 volumes. Dark Horse picks it up from 8 onwards.

damn, I just read Guardians of the Galaxy 1-18 from comixology, now where do I get the continuation for that.

editL oh wow, I just wiki that guardians of the galaxy goes up to vol 25, but comixology only have up to #18. that's so shitty of marvel, are they going to post the rest of the series soon?

Mafro

damn, I just read Guardians of the Galaxy 1-18 from comixology, now where do I get the continuation for that.

editL oh wow, I just wiki that guardians of the galaxy goes up to vol 25, but comixology only have up to #18. that's so shitty of marvel, are they going to post the rest of the series soon?
Stuff like this with the Comixology and the Marvel app really bugs me. Same goes for the lack of collected editions which means going the more expensive route and buying issues individually.

Stuff like this with the Comixology and the Marvel app really bugs me. Same goes for the lack of collected editions which means going the more expensive route and buying issues individually.

it really sucks, with the recent movie announcement, and yesterday sales, I'm sure I'm not the only one who buy the whole series just to know more about the series. now I'm stuck with very cruel cliffhanger and no way to read it other than reading the story on wiki. :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've yet to meet another nerd who DOESN'T have a Crown dice bag. A+ to you! I want a Crown Black bag, though. Purple is so yesterday. :p

I've yet to meet another nerd who DOESN'T have a Crown dice bag. A+ to you! I want a Crown Black bag, though. Purple is so yesterday. :p

My GM in Orlando is working with a few new gamers, so he felt it was a tradition that he needed to uphold. I hadn't had one in ages, so I'm kinda treasuring mine again.

'Ethan' is the antagonist and the jackal, though he's never really referenced as a jackal. as for the rage, it's something that develops through the story.

edit: If it isn't clear, Ethan is the dude with the cyborg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I've asked these questions before (a while ago) but they have come up again for me.

1. Digital vs print. Digital is nice because it's a) cheaper (especially with sales) and b) easier to obtain on a whim. The only issue I could see would be if the company selling them goes under? I don't see Comixology or Dark Horse going away anytime soon, but I guess it's still the risk you take.

2. If I want to try out the superhero stuff, where should I start? I get so overwhelmed thinking about grabbing an issue and having NO idea what the hell is going on. There's so much history, back story, past events, etc. Guardians of the Galaxy sounded really cool (protecting the galaxy from destruction? A+), but there's so much involved there, too. -_- Help?

OK, I've asked these questions before (a while ago) but they have come up again for me.

1. Digital vs print. Digital is nice because it's a) cheaper (especially with sales) and b) easier to obtain on a whim. The only issue I could see would be if the company selling them goes under? I don't see Comixology or Dark Horse going away anytime soon, but I guess it's still the risk you take.

2. If I want to try out the superhero stuff, where should I start? I get so overwhelmed thinking about grabbing an issue and having NO idea what the hell is going on. There's so much history, back story, past events, etc. Guardians of the Galaxy sounded really cool (protecting the galaxy from destruction? A+), but there's so much involved there, too. -_- Help?

1. I'm shallow and materialistic and thus like physical things.

2. Your options are:
Start with a character with an origin story currently in print- batman:year one, one of the versions of superman's origin

read only standalone stuff

use trades to start reading from the beginning of a story arc and just wiki to fill in any gaps

pick a random single issue to start at and just deal with it.

as far as GotG goes, don't worry about prior decades of cosmic marvel. I had no idea who any of those characters were before i started reading it. If having no backstory really scares you, start with annihilation instead or wiki things.

1. I've actually always wondered what would happen if comixology went out of business. I figure you're only buying something like a reading license from them when you buy their comics. But if thats something that worries you, you could try marvel digital comics unlimited. Its like netflix for marvel comics. It's a little iffy sometimes especially with getting all the issues in a series but for someone thats just dipping their feet into superhero comics its a really really great value.

2. You can always ask here. It's a good bet that series in the lower numbers are meant to be new reader friendly.

Heads up! The super cool, fantasy adventure buddy book starring Shorty and Baldy is half price from 17 - 19th (starting today), over at ComiXology! Skullkickers!

I was late to this excellent book, having heard of Jim Zub because of his upcoming Pathfinder comic through Dynamite Entertainment (think the fun D&D book from IDW from the looks of it), and I ended up getting and LOVING the whole series.

GO NOW! DO NOT PASS GO!

Owzers

1) I like print, but i buy digital when it's cheap and hard to find in print. I'm not worried about comixology going under. I take the same risk with Steam.

2) Marvel is relaunching their books in October, DC just relaunched their whole universe and is day and date digital and the trades are coming out now. Anywhere is a good point to start with those two.

3) Skullkickers half-off comixology sale! I bought the first trade awhile ago and it was fun, i'll either buy the second trade digitally in the sale or eventually get the oversized hardcover in print form.

'Ethan' is the antagonist and the jackal, though he's never really referenced as a jackal. as for the rage, it's something that develops through the story.

edit: If it isn't clear, Ethan is the dude with the cyborg

I liked the issue though, but i wasn't entirely sold on some of the story beats. Y
ou have a gang trying to expand and incorporate Blue 6 and Ramzey kicks some goon butt. Got it. Not entirely sure where Blue 6 is, just west of the gang controlled territory that is around Lousiana, Florida, and Tennessee.

A guy propositions Ramzey to kill someone for Brazilian Elites, and offers her Brazilian citizenship if she does so, why would she want Brazilian Citizenship? Is Brazil the best place in the world now? Is the change that countries fear gang control apocalypse set-up?

Flash to a nice building with no caption as to what it is. There is chaos. There are two random dudes, one behind a chair so he must be the important dude. Ethan is never named i think, so it's just random guy coming after dude, who we find out is the 1st citizen elect of the Arizona province. Who wasn't really elected, perhaps Ethan rigged it and wants him under his control? Found out he cheated and will expose him? A little mystery is okay but it's not much to go on.

Find out books are a commodity and then some Ramzey goon thumping, liked the segment too with a flash of powers. I know you can't give all the details away in the first issue but i think it was a few things short of really grabbing me into being excited for the next issue. And couldn't you have had people riding dinosaurs around the city in the last panel? Then you have a book!

But as i said, what was there was still enjoyable and comics-gaf should read it instead of daydreaming about cyclops.

thoughts.

But as i said, what was there was still enjoyable and comics-gaf should read it instead of daydreaming about cyclops.

First off, thank you very much for taking time to read it and give feedback. Very much appreciated. big lol at the bolded

You have a gang trying to expand and incorporate Blue 6 and Ramzey kicks some goon butt. Got it. Not entirely sure where Blue 6 is, just west of the gang controlled territory that is around Lousiana, Florida, and Tennessee.

Hmmm...where the story starts is never stated outright since I never thought it was important, it's in the southwest. Central Texas really.

A guy propositions Ramzey to kill someone for Brazilian Elites, and offers her Brazilian citizenship if she does so, why would she want Brazilian Citizenship? Is Brazil the best place in the world now? Is the change that countries fear gang control apocalypse set-up.

yeah, brazil is the place to be. I guess I should add some sort of prologue to make it clear that the world has gone to shit. Ethan, 'the jackal,' is this super successful pseudo anarchist terrorist who has managed to destroy the world economy and domino that into the fall of governments. It's stated in the second part, but I guess adding some of that info could make the story much more clear in the first part.

Flash to a nice building with no caption as to what it is. There is chaos. There are two random dudes, one behind a chair so he must be the important dude. Ethan is never named i think, so it's just random guy coming after dude, who we find out is the 1st citizen elect of the Arizona province. Who wasn't really elected, perhaps Ethan rigged it and wants him under his control? Found out he cheated and will expose him? A little mystery is okay but it's not much to go on

what Ethan is doing is actually the first thing addressed in the second part. Adding a caption is a good idea though. I'll add that for sure. You're probably right that it isn't enough to get excited over. Not sure how to fix that though :1

Find out books are a commodity and then some Ramzey goon thumping, liked the segment too with a flash of powers. I know you can't give all the details away in the first issue but i think it was a few things short of really grabbing me into being excited for the next issue. And couldn't you have had people riding dinosaurs around the city in the last panel? Then you have a book!

We'll you've certainly given me some things to think about. Most consideration will be given to the dinosaurs ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
1) I like print, but i buy digital when it's cheap and hard to find in print. I'm not worried about comixology going under. I take the same risk with Steam.

2) Marvel is relaunching their books in October, DC just relaunched their whole universe and is day and date digital and the trades are coming out now. Anywhere is a good point to start with those two.

3) Skullkickers half-off comixology sale! I bought the first trade awhile ago and it was fun, i'll either buy the second trade digitally in the sale or eventually get the oversized hardcover in print form.

1. I've actually always wondered what would happen if comixology went out of business. I figure you're only buying something like a reading license from them when you buy their comics. But if thats something that worries you, you could try marvel digital comics unlimited. Its like netflix for marvel comics. It's a little iffy sometimes especially with getting all the issues in a series but for someone thats just dipping their feet into superhero comics its a really really great value.

2. You can always ask here. It's a good bet that series in the lower numbers are meant to be new reader friendly.

1. I'm shallow and materialistic and thus like physical things.

as far as GotG goes, don't worry about prior decades of cosmic marvel. I had no idea who any of those characters were before i started reading it. If having no backstory really scares you, start with annihilation instead or wiki things.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm a heavy Steam user myself, so I'm not really worried about that. Besides, once you have the issues downloaded on your device, its there for offline reading. So I guess that's a moot point (assuming I keep all the issues on there, ha).

I would LOVE a huge paper collection, but I just know that would get super expensive, super quick. When you can get 18 issues for $18 digitally vs $40+ print, it's a tough sell. Toss on the fact that you can bank on iTunes card sales (since I use an iPad), and you're saving even more + getting free comics.

Regarding what series to start, if GotG is OK to run with as it stands, I might go ahead and buy an issue or two and test the waters. I am royally pissed that I missed the sale, but who knows - it may go on sale again sometime?

I'll also [finally] look into the New 52 stuff. I mean, it can't hurt to grab issue 1 of those that I'm interested in. Worst case, I don't enjoy it but I've got it to read whenever!

the first issue was great, everything after that though...
The worst part is the dialog between characters (dude bro bad) and the art is inconsistent.

Strangely happy to hear that it's not great. I really don't need more titles on my pull-list, but the book sounded awesome.

Owzers

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm a heavy Steam user myself, so I'm not really worried about that. Besides, once you have the issues downloaded on your device, its there for offline reading. So I guess that's a moot point (assuming I keep all the issues on there, ha).

I would LOVE a huge paper collection, but I just know that would get super expensive, super quick. When you can get 18 issues for $18 digitally vs $40+ print, it's a tough sell. Toss on the fact that you can bank on iTunes card sales (since I use an iPad), and you're saving even more + getting free comics.

Regarding what series to start, if GotG is OK to run with as it stands, I might go ahead and buy an issue or two and test the waters. I am royally pissed that I missed the sale, but who knows - it may go on sale again sometime?

I'll also [finally] look into the New 52 stuff. I mean, it can't hurt to grab issue 1 of those that I'm interested in. Worst case, I don't enjoy it but I've got it to read whenever!

Without the sale on GotG i'd avoid buying it, but i'm cheap. It's good, it's definitely a great 99cent/issue purchase...but not more than that with the amount of tie-ins it has. If you're going to start something i'd go with Remender's Uncanny X-Force or Waid's Daredevil and hope the Marvel Cosmic relaunch isn't by Loeb or Bendis X(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Without the sale on GotG i'd avoid buying it, but i'm cheap. It's good, it's definitely a great 99cent/issue purchase...but not more than that with the amount of tie-ins it has. If you're going to start something i'd go with Remender's Uncanny X-Force or Waid's Daredevil and hope the Marvel Cosmic relaunch isn't by Loeb or Bendis X(

Something like this? http://www.comixology.com/Uncanny-X-Force/comics-series/4832

And is GotG really too reliant on tie-ins? That's sad if so...I was really excited about the concept (and Rocket Raccoon looks like a badass, haha). Also, what do you mean by the bolded statement?

Owzers

Something like this? http://www.comixology.com/Uncanny-X-Force/comics-series/4832

And is GotG really too reliant on tie-ins? That's sad if so...I was really excited about the concept (and Rocket Raccoon looks like a badass, haha). Also, what do you mean by the bolded statement?

Yep, that's the Uncanny X-Force everyone knows and loves by Remender. GotG bounces around a bit, it comes out of Annihilation Conquest, which followed Annihilation. Neither are essential to read GotG. Then at issue #5 or so it starts a few issue tie-in to Secret Invasion. Then it ties into War of Kings and i forget if it comes to an end or if Thanos Imperative replaces it outright.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Marvel had all of their volumes and collections on Comixology. I bought the first 2 UXF volumes but the others aren't up. I'd rather save the money getting the collections instead of getting the individual issues.

Damnit, I missed the Guardians of the Galaxy sale. It sounds like a really cool series, too. :|

I had 2 dollars left on my account so I picked up the first two issues. I'm looking forward to reading it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question...Where do point one issues stand? I'm looking at Uncanny X-Force and see a 5.1 and a 19.1. Do these fall before or after their respective issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom