• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
lol the Doom Patrol scales have been tipped! ok NVM I'm buying that then =P

it's actually a real good choice! I remember I saved up $1000+ in 2014 doing the 52 week challenge and wanted to spend some of that on Doom Patrol, but ended up using the money to pay my credit card off instead lol.

Yesssss. You did a good thing, buddy.
I was about to reply to your original post telling you that you absolutely need to buy Doom Patrol, but looks like everyone else had already stepped up and did it for me. I agree with everything everyone has said about Doom Patrol so far. One of the best things ever printed on paper. I really ought to reread it soon.

aYqVXEg.png

Haha. Perfect.

arkon

Agree 100 with Birdie on this. Dude is doing his absolute best to make the book as good as possible. As an industry, if we want him to make comics at a monthly or quarterly rate, then we need to throw enough money at him to properly compensate him.

As someone who makes comics in his free time, writing and drawing your own comic takes absolutely forever. I've done 80+ pages in about 3 years. And I put in about 20-25 hrs a week.

I'm not knocking him. I'm speaking purely from the point of view of a (some would say entitled) reader and what that reading experience is going to be like. I'm putting money down for the new printing and maybe beyond that if I like it enough. By cheap there I mean cover price and not much more, certainly not paying those exorbitant ebay prices. That said, I can understand why some would choose not to bother with the single issues if the schedule is one or two issues a year and it's going take another 5 years to complete. I may even find myself in that position based on my feelings about that 1st issue. At that point I'm wondering why not wait until you have more issues in the can. Suppose he wants some compensation for the work he's put in already.

And then it gets me thinking aloud. Has there been a case where somebody builds an audience with a release schedule like that, an issue or two released a year?

Good luck to him. Sounds like he's been through some shit in the last few years. Maybe this move will give his career the push it needs?

NexusCell

Man, Rage of Ultron was probably the best Hank/Ultron story since Ultron Unlimited.

Also, BTW, its canon

It takes place after SW

I need help figuring what is going on with Amazing Spider-Man, maybe not the right thread but I couldn't spot a more relevant one.

So, I order my comics what, 2 months ahead and I am really confused with Amazing Spider-Man, probably stemming from the fact that I haven't read any since Superior. I can't spot a #19 and I have no idea what the Spider-Verse comics are, what Secret Wars is and what Renew Your Vows is?!

Man, Rage of Ultron was probably the best Hank/Ultron story since Ultron Unlimited.

Also, BTW, its canon

It takes place after SW
I'm so happy
at the prospect of a Remender Avengers book featuring characters like Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch or Sabertooth.
He's been writing them with so much subtlety. It's gonna be Axis every month.

I need help figuring what is going on with Amazing Spider-Man, maybe not the right thread but I couldn't spot a more relevant one.

So, I order my comics what, 2 months ahead and I am really confused with Amazing Spider-Man, probably stemming from the fact that I haven't read any since Superior. I can't spot a #19 and I have no idea what the Spider-Verse comics are, what Secret Wars is and what Renew Your Vows is?!

Basically, Secret Wars is the big Marvel event for the year and almost all of their series are going on break during it and I think ASM #18 is the last one before then. In the meantime we'll be getting minis (I'm going to assume they're all minis until they say otherwise), so ASM is getting replaced by Renew Your Vows which will be like an AU story with Peter and MJ married with a kid I think. Will this have any long-term effects? Who knows.

Spider-Verse was the last big Spider-event before Secret Wars comes out. So it was this big event that had every other Spiderbook (2099, Spider-Woman started for it, and some other tie-ins) involved. Was it good? I have no idea, but it doesn't sound like it was as good as Spider-Island.

Inspired by a Kipp OT. Man, we put an offer on a house yesterday and after seeing a bunch, this is the one we really want. Were even willing to sacrifice statues, and lootcrates, and a bunch of other stuff to get it. Waiting to hear back is brutal though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Inspired by a Kipp OT. Man, we put an offer on a house yesterday and after seeing a bunch, this is the one we really want. Were even willing to sacrifice statues, and lootcrates, and a bunch of other stuff to get it. Waiting to hear back is brutal though.

Awesome! :D
Buying a house is my main life goal right now. A year from now I'll be in a really solid place financially and definitely be able to buy a house, so I'm really excited. I mean, I was planning to buy a house early this year, but then that whole Colorado fiasco happened... But it'll be a much more comfortable financial situation a year from now, so it's probably for the best.

But yeah, congratulations on finding a place and putting an offer down! I'm jealous.

Vyer

House buying process sucks in general. There's always something. But it's still a great feeling once it's yours.

Hopefully everything goes great, but don't be too down if it falls through though. It's easy to worry that you've found 'the one' and lost it.... until you come across the next 'One'. :)

Zombine

Banned

You're not missing much with Lootcrates...they have been uninspired garbage.

Add Power Girl to the list of characters who gives no fucks about Omega Beams.

Jorge Jimenez (an artist I've been coming to adore) drawing Alan Scott punching Darkseid with the FORCE OF EVERY EARTH IN THE MULTIVERSE)... I think. It's awesome regardless.

Seriously, soooo damn good. I don't get the hate its getting, as a weekly it was half as long as the others and I thought it told a great story. There were some low points but any long format story will have that, overall though I really liked it.

I loved Batman Eternal too, I'm happy with both that and World's End as weeklies. The only one that fell flat for me was Future's End. It had moments of being good but it was mostly meh.

Convergence 0 too, this is going to be interesting.

But they fell from space riding Clayface into a Magical Kingdom?

Morgan Le Fey (spelling) gets woken up, and Batwoman, Batwoman's sister, Clayface (who doesnt remember being evil or a criminal), Ragman, and Etrigan come together to stop her. She runs to the moon and does some shit and that's how she gets I believe her castle back in our world. They come back from space to Morgan basically in a position to do some bad shit. It's stupid how they structured the story, because the moon and space stuff all took place in that first issue of the new team, with everyone being like WTF??? Then it took this REALLY long round about way to set them going up into space, basically tell the readers hey go back and read that issue again, and then they finish the story.

I hope you guys are able to get the one you're eyeing!

House buying process sucks in general. There's always something. But it's still a great feeling once it's yours.

Hopefully everything goes great, but don't be too down if it falls through though. It's easy to worry that you've found 'the one' and lost it.... until you come across the next 'One'. :)

Agreed. I'm about a week away from having been a homeowner for a full year and Looking back, I don't know if I could go back to being an apartment dweller. The space, the peace and quiet, the garage are all amazing.

Everything about buying a house sucks. Mortgage brokers have terrible customer service.

kmfdmpig

10.5 inch galaxy tab s is on sale for 349 if anyone is looking for an android tablet which is great for comics. I got a used one a few weeks ago and love it. Slickdeals.com has the details.

Remender. Someone emailed him for clarification, he plans to do a follow up to this sometime after SW is published.

I knew it was canon but had no idea it was
an exciting glimpse into the future.

MEGATON, especially considering Sabretooth is still an Avenger.

But are we sure it's after SW? He mentioned a follow up but technically Rage is a follow up to his Secret Avengers run. Everything he writes is a follow up to other Marvel work of his. I guess I'm missing the direct confirm that this particular story takes place after SW.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Got my Copy of Rage of Ultron. Finally a book, where I can discuss with you guys in time.

Will try to read through it tomorrow.

Mudcrab

But are we sure it's after SW? He mentioned a follow up but technically Rage is a follow up to his Secret Avengers run. Everything he writes is a follow up to other Marvel work of his. I guess I'm missing the direct confirm that this particular story takes place after SW.

Especially interesting as
the descendants referred to Sabretooth as "mutie" considering people are convinced the mutants are all going to be inhumans after SW.

frye

I think that 1) what happens to Hank at the end and 2) the return of Wasp post-Axis means you have to place it after Secret Wars

Prepared to drop Rat Queens, Outcast, Birthright, Supes/WW, Star Wars, Black Science, American Vampire, Batman/Superman, Lootcrate and my wife's Birchbox (Think lootcrate for cosmetics) for extra money towards mortgage. That's like and extra 60 bucks a month.

Prepared to drop Rat Queens, Outcast, Birthright, Supes/WW, Star Wars, Black Science, American Vampire, Batman/Superman, Lootcrate and my wife's Birchbox (Think lootcrate for cosmetics) for extra money towards mortgage. That's like and extra 60 bucks a month.

Star Wars?

vader.jpg

Come on man, that's going too far.

Zombine

Banned

Drop them monthly so you can pick them up for 50% off in a nice trade later on. Doing shit like this blows but even I had to cancel some subs and drop a shit ton of books to live happily. We get caught up in this hobby and feel like to we have read everything to legitimize our fandom, but the reality is that none of it matters, and that your life is more important than some meaningless drawings.

Top Bottom