• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Man I really want to buy it and Harbinger Renegade but I never read Manowar's first run or any of the Harbinger related books like Imperium since the first series. I'm thinking of catching up with comicblitz since Valiant just threw all their old stuff on there.

The art in the new XO looks gorgeous.

I've never read any XO before in my life and I'm enjoying it just fine. The art really is something special.

Messi

Woah that is kinda low considering so much hype for Kate getting her solo book.

I haven't looked at sales for the past 3 months so I have no idea what is hot

People asking for her book are a vocal minority. Whenever the twitter / tumblr crowd get a book they want they don't show up for it. It's happened time and time again. Lost track of the amount of pirate scans I've seen posted on tumblr though. That'll save the book. That and their image edits.

People asking for her book are a vocal minority. Whenever the twitter / tumblr crowd get a book they want they don't show up for it. It's happened time and time again. Lost track of the amount of pirate scans I've seen posted on tumblr though. That'll save the book. That and their image edits.

Yep. So true.

mreddie

Do any of them even know how the books sales are judged? Does Marvel even speak about preordering them first?
Digital sales help but Marvel has got the habit to pretty much pretend NOW 2.0 never happened and is quickly ending every book that launched with it unless the sales are stable.

Looking at last month we have numbers for?

February 2017's ongoing books in the Top 50 were: Darth Maul, Batman, Walking Dead, All-Star Batman, Star Wars, Justice League, Detective Comics, Amazing Spider-Man, Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn, Action Comics, Nightwing, Trinity, Mighty Thor, Teen Titans, Old Man Logan, Deadpool, Venom, Green Lanterns.

The number one books on the top of the list was Justice League of America, Super-Sons, Batwoman Rebirth, Wild Storm, Elektra.

Basically, Star Wars, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Justice League, Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Deadpool. Everything else is a crapshoot.

EDIT: Jumping back to December 2014 to give you a feel of what it's like elsewhere.

February 2017's ongoing books in the Top 50 were: Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Justice League, Harley Quinn, Walking Dead, All-New X-Men, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Uncanny X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Super-Man, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman-Superman, Green Lanterns, Deadpool, Grayson, Superman-Wonder Woman, Rocket Raccoon (??!), New Avengers, Action Comics.

A lot of the same books, but you can see the mishandling of certain lines by Marvel, notably in the loss of X-Men and Avengers.

I was googling for Wildstorm #3 easter eggs online this weekend and I was surprised how easy it was to find scans of the full issue online! I mean, not even a torrent or a file hosting site or something. Just forum threads/tumblrs with the whole issues.

I was googling for Wildstorm #3 easter eggs online this weekend and I was surprised how easy it was to find scans of the full issue online! I mean, not even a torrent or a file hosting site or something. Just forum threads/tumblrs with the whole issues.

That happens to every book, sadly

Major publishers, anyway. I'm not sure there's anyone out there posting like. Death be Damned or Eleanor and the Egret. Maybe, I dunno, I don't really go looking

I can't speak for everyone but I just wasn't crazy about the writing on it. I dropped it after two issues and I love the Kate issues in Fraction's run. Maybe I'll give it another shot on sale or something.

I can't speak for everyone but I just wasn't crazy about the writing on it. I dropped it after two issues and I love the Kate issues in Fraction's run. Maybe I'll give it another shot on sale or something.

I will say I am enjoying it well enough. But yeah I kinda agree and I don't think it has gotten better.

The most recent issue with Jessica was fun and seems to be operating at a higher tier of quality, but I'm not sure they can maintain that once the cameo is over

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Has Snyder laid out what Duke is supposed to be yet other than a glorified Robin?

Not really. I think they're going for a vigilante who is a little more unsure of himself so we can have that journey of him becoming proficient, but I don't find any of it terribly interesting. Almost all of it is developed in the backup stories.

mreddie

I will say I am enjoying it well enough. But yeah I kinda agree and I don't think it has gotten better.

The most recent issue with Jessica was fun and seems to be operating at a higher tier of quality, but I'm not sure they can maintain that once the cameo is over

I do think Thompson is a good writer but her Marvel work has been kinda ranging decent to meh.

Messi

Messi pls. I already have that in digital.

Never heard of it. I'll take a look. I really need to pick up the latest Atomic Robo tpb, and maybe the Time Runs Out HC that I've been meaning to get forever.

I buy trades of stuff I enjoyed digitally all the time.

Sandfox

I don't disagree with that at all.

It might as well be. The difference between a low-selling ongoing and a mini is immaterial.
They've been getting better in that regard with books like Strange, Uncanny Avengers, and OML keeping their numbering despite new creative teams.
Marvel:
OFrXBYf.jpg

We gave Kate a shot, below 20K, GOTTA BRING BACK CLINT!

And what a shock, Fury bomba. Same week as Secret Empire took over the attention.
Marvel could've gone launched Fury with some big campaign in a different month and it still would've flopped.

I buy trades of stuff I enjoyed digitally all the time.

I hear you. I would definitely buy a Motorgirl omnibus or something, but not single arc paperbacks of stuff I've already read. I used to do that and it boggles the mind how much money I've saved since I stopped.

Messi

I hear you. I would definitely buy a Motorgirl omnibus or something, but not single arc paperbacks of stuff I've already read. I used to do that and it boggles the mind how much money I've saved since I stopped.

Fairly sure Motor Girl is only meant to be like 12 issues. If that's the case there won't be an omnibus. I think I read him saying that plus you know... SiP in 2018.

Fairly sure Motor Girl is only meant to be like 12 issues. If that's the case there won't be an omnibus. I think I read him saying that plus you know... SiP in 2018.

Still not buying it. If a single book comes out at some point with the whole series in it, I'd buy that for sure.

So what's the deal with the new SiP? I don't know anything about it other than that it's happening.

Messi

Still not buying it. If a single book comes out at some point with the whole series in it, I'd buy that for sure.

So what's the deal with the new SiP? I don't know anything about it other than that it's happening.

That's all anyone knows

12 issues? :(

Worth it for SiP I guess

He's sick of watching his books slowly die. Mini series to tell the stories he wants to tell and get out. He dragged Rachel Rising on for way longer than was profitable.

Messi

Little bit of SiP and Motor Girl stuffs

“The grand plan is to do ‘Motor Girl’ through 2017,” he said. “2018 is the 25th anniversary of ‘Strangers in Paradise,’ so 2018 will be all about that book.”

As of now, 2018’s “Strangers in Paradise” return will be “a limited story,” Moore said. He hasn’t figured out an issue count yet, but expects the series to run for one year and be collected into a single trade paperback.
--

I know what you mean. Comics are completely off my radar now.
My regular comic buddy bought a whole bunch of Civil War II and says I should read it. Should I GAF?

God no. He's just trying to share the misery.

My regular comic buddy bought a whole bunch of Civil War II and says I should read it. Should I GAF?

The main book is dumb but occasionally fun and very pretty

Skip the tie-ins. And the minis. Some of it is okay but little of it is good. None of it is worthwhile

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

There are much better ways to spend your time like reading Manifest Destiny.

TheFlow

Banned
Looking at last month we have numbers for?

February 2017's ongoing books in the Top 50 were: Darth Maul, Batman, Walking Dead, All-Star Batman, Star Wars, Justice League, Detective Comics, Amazing Spider-Man, Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn, Action Comics, Nightwing, Trinity, Mighty Thor, Teen Titans, Old Man Logan, Deadpool, Venom, Green Lanterns.

The number one books on the top of the list was Justice League of America, Super-Sons, Batwoman Rebirth, Wild Storm, Elektra.

Basically, Star Wars, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Justice League, Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Deadpool. Everything else is a crapshoot.

EDIT: Jumping back to December 2014 to give you a feel of what it's like elsewhere.

February 2017's ongoing books in the Top 50 were: Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Justice League, Harley Quinn, Walking Dead, All-New X-Men, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Uncanny X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Super-Man, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman-Superman, Green Lanterns, Deadpool, Grayson, Superman-Wonder Woman, Rocket Raccoon (??!), New Avengers, Action Comics.

A lot of the same books, but you can see the mishandling of certain lines by Marvel, notably in the loss of X-Men and Avengers.
I keep forgetting Elektra is a thing. Her run will last this year purely because of the Netflix show

Top Bottom