• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Bane

So is that Marvel Legacy art from a couple of days ago confirmed to be the new looks for people? I love Thor's '07 costume and would be thrilled to see its return.

Messi

Wasn't it just the cover, kinda proven when the book only sold well after the fact

Absolutely yes. They just used it as a reason to attack and bully her.

David Lopez new comic "BlackHand IronHead" is up at Panel Syndicate for pay what you want.

blackhand_01_big.jpg

Love his art.

Messi

There are certain times where a publisher needs to stand up for their talent. Like when Albuquerque did that Batgirl variant cover. But I don't think this is one of those times.

How did DC stand up for Alberquerque. They pulled the cover on his request after he received death threats. Other than that...

How did DC stand up for Alberquerque. They pulled the cover on his request after he received death threats. Other than that...

No, I meant that was a time the publisher should have stepped in instead of letting the creator deal with the heat.

Fuck Spencer, tho.

Ross61

Pretty sure they released a statement. Also the Batgirl team stood up for him were very attentive of the criticism they were receiving.

Ross61

Nah. As someone pointed out on twitter, antagonizing readers and bone-headed stunts are completely on brand with the Merry Marvel Way of Brevoort and Alonso.
Wouldn't be the first time they pulled a hypocritical move. Getting rid of Nick Spencer's would be the first faux-PR move post Secret Emoire.

Messi

We publish comic books about the greatest heroes in the world, and the most evil villains imaginable. The Joker variant covers for June are in recognition of the 75th anniversary of the Joker.

Regardless if fans like Rafael Albuquerque’s homage to Alan Moore’s THE KILLING JOKE graphic novel from 25 years ago, or find it inconsistent with the current tonality of the Batgirl books – threats of violence and harassment are wrong and have no place in comics or society.

We stand by our creative talent, and per Rafael’s request, DC Comics will not publish the Batgirl variant. – DC

That was it... At his request.

Ross61

Yeah, I don't see him being the one getting death threats because of The cover. It's usually the critics, who were women, who receive the blunt of death threats for speaking out.

Vic_Viper

the War of Kings Prelude Omnibus is back in stock at IST but the regular War of Kings and the Aftermath Omnis are sold out now lol. Cant decide if I should try and buy all 3 or not. Just bought Prelude just in case.

shingi70

Banned
Wrestling isn't that bad.

Well it's mostly the flip flopping between good, bad, and anti-hero for a few wrestlers. Also power level wise, during that Dumpster Match I was wondering why Braun just didn't end it quickly like all his prior matches.

Does anyone have any faith of Marvel keeping the legacy aspect of Marvel Legacy. I feel that's always been the biggest thing that seperated the DCU from the MU. Marvel has talked about this generation building a legacy, but I feel since New Mutants started marvel has included legacy characters only for a large swath of them to be completely ignored and only a few becoming main stays.

Nah. As someone pointed out on twitter, antagonizing readers and bone-headed stunts are completely on brand with the Merry Marvel Way of Brevoort and Alonso.
Aside from the essay it's fun to see and hear creators say "Nah, bad PR from people speaking about us just work in the short term and we lose even more readers one issue later". Of course Marvel has really just been looking at short term profit which is why the eternal relaunches happen.

I expect the legacy aspect to not work after the first arc. Marvel's heroes aren't built for it to work, they're more like real humans. Kamala is the best one they got.

shingi70

Banned
Based on what?

Is that second sentence supposed to imply something bad?

I'd say based on history, somehwere in the late 70s to mid 80s Marvel sort of stopped their characters from aging. I mean look at how Cassie Lang got weidly repowered/aged after Childerns Crusade.

Despite the MU always supposed to be 15 years since the Fantsic Four appearing it never really feels like it. Just look at how Peter Pstker has gone through years of Character development multiple times, only to fall back on the "Aw Shucks I need to get pictures of Spider-man for JJJ to pay my rent".

If your going take Parker back to basics then what's the point of me reading a Miles Morales book when that had been picture as the traditional so down on his luck we head book.

Based on what?

Is that second sentence supposed to imply something bad?
No, it's part of a really old quote about how Marvel's heroes are easier to like because they're more human and easy to relate to. "The world outside your window!" and all that.

The legacy part I can't believe because they couldn't even get a teen team to work.

I'd say based on history, somehwere in the late 70s to mid 80s Marvel sort of stopped their characters from aging. I mean look at how Cassie Lang got weidly repowered/aged after Childerns Crusade.

Despite the MU always supposed to be 15 years since the Fantsic Four appearing it never really feels like it. Just look at how Peter Pstker has gone through years of Character development multiple times, only to fall back on the "Aw Shucks I need to get pictures of Spider-man for JJJ to pay my rent".

If your going take Parker back to basics then what's the point of me reading a Miles Morales book when that had been picture as the traditional so down on his luck we head book.

Because he's more like a real human ;)

But really, I don't see how this is a Marvel-specific criticism at all. Big 2 aging and time are weird and always have been. Nature of the beast.

No, it's part of a really old quote about how Marvel's heroes are easier to like because they're more human and easy to relate to. "The world outside your window!" and all that.

I recognize the quote. I don't see how it has anything at all to do with the legacy concept.

The legacy part I can't believe because they couldn't even get a teen team to work.

Oh, so you are just connecting dots then. That's what I thought.

What are the absolute BEST Valiant books atm? Ive heard Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn is one of the best Valaint books and even up there with DC/Marvel's best. Is there anything else that is a must read from them since 2014?

If you want the absolute essentials: The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, Harbinger, Imperium, Harbinger Renegade, Ivar, Archer & Armstrong.

Also, "up there with DC/Marvel"? They're the ones trying to catch up lol

Vic_Viper

If you want the absolute essentials: The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, Harbinger, Imperium, Harbinger Renegade, Ivar, Archer & Armstrong.

Also, "up there with DC/Marvel"? They're the ones trying to catch up lol

That wasn't my opinion lol, just what was being said about Bloodshot Reborn and it's quality. Haven't even had a chance to read anything myself yet. The art in some of these books though is really good. Just noticed Clay Mann did the first volume of Ninjak.

The Art of Edena looks like it contains a few short stories too. Awesome!

Moebius (W/A/Cover)

On sale Sept 20
FC, 176 pages
$34.99
HC, 8" x 10"

A companion volume to the critically acclaimed and New York Times best-selling World of Edena graphic novel, Moebius Library: The Art of Edena collects four fantastic Edena-related short stories and a mother lode of Moebius illustrations. A celebration of the imagery of Edena and the creative enthusiasm Moebius held for his Edena universe, this volume collects the short stories ”Seeing Naples," ”Another Planet," ”The Repairmen," and ”Dying to See Naples," as Moebius explores his imagination with Stel and Atan,two of his favorite characters.

• Out-of-print stories and hard-to-find images—collected in an affordable hardcover!

• The second volume in Dark Horse's Moebius Library series!

That wasn't my opinion lol, just what was being said about Bloodshot Reborn and it's quality. Haven't even had a chance to read anything myself yet. The art in some of these books though is really good. Just noticed Clay Mann did the first volume of Ninjak.

Yeah, they don't skimp in the art department. When they first rebooted the universe in 2012, they had some rougher artists, but they even those have grown a lot since then.

Also, Valiant (and myself) are the butt of a lot of jokes around here, but people are (mostly) not serious about it.

ok, that was purposely inflammatory, but Valiant is as close as you'll get to a creator-owned universe of interconnected stories and characters is my point. They're also much more consistent than DC or Marvel as a line.

For the record, I read all labels indiscriminately. I even read Action Lab Comics. Gotta get my Zombie Tramp.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah, they don't skimp in the art department. When they first rebooted the universe in 2012, they had some rougher artists, but they even those have grown a lot since then.

Also, Valiant (and myself) are the butt of a lot of jokes around here, but people are (mostly) not serious about it.

ok, that was purposely inflammatory, but Valiant is as close as you'll get to a creator-owned universe of interconnected stories and characters is my point. They're also much more consistent than DC or Marvel as a line.

For the record, I read all labels indiscriminately. I even read Action Lab Comics. Gotta get my Zombie Tramp.

But do you read comics from Avatar Press?

guys please we can talk about this. I can give you some secret information about Tom King and what he used to do before he started writing comics...

Goddamn. Lunchpod done lost his mind. He changed a few opinions on Valiant and now he thinks he can do the impossible and convince anyone that Zenescope comics are good.

Top Bottom