• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Almost 12-14

GLA
World of Wakanda
Mercs Spinoffs
Bullseye
Elektra
Kingpin
Gamora
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Mosaic
Ghost Rider

The problem is you can look at that list and I could've told you all of those books would burn out quickly.

Ghost Rider is the only outlier and that's because the last run was really, really rough.

mreddie

The problem is you can look at that list and I could've told you all of those books would burn out quickly.

Ghost Rider is the only outlier and that's because the last run was really, really rough.

They talked about NOW but never went anywhere with it with carrying back to back events

And they botched GR badly, even if you pushed it to week 1 of NOW, I think it would have flopped.

Ghost Rider can't carry a mediocre book

Wolverine can carry any book

Let's make a Wolverine book

Wolverine has carried Medicore books. Savage says hi.

mreddie

GAH

MGDINOD2015019_DC21.jpg

The final issue of Mockingbird is on MU today, and I just finished it. Pretty good book... Chelsea Cain has a nice sense of humor, her dialogue is great, especially considering this is her first work in comics, and I thought Kate Niemxyzxzxzxz's art was really solid.

But what problem exactly did the MRA assholes have with it? I mean, I realize most of the time when a dumb twitter dog pile like that happens, it doesn't make much sense, but what specifically set them off about this book? Was it really just the cover of this final issue where she's wearing the "ask me about my feminist agenda" t-shirt? She wears it for a page or two within the issue too, but it's not the focus or anything. Was that all it took to set them off, or did I miss something else?

mreddie

The final issue of Mockingbird is on MU today, and I just finished it. Pretty good book... Chelsea Cain has a nice sense of humor, her dialogue is great, especially considering this is her first work in comics, and I thought Kate Niemxyzxzxzxz's art was really solid.

But what problem exactly did the MRA assholes have with it? I mean, I realize most of the time when a dumb twitter dog pile like that happens, it doesn't make much sense, but what specifically set them off about this book? Was it really just the cover of this final issue where she's wearing the "ask me about my feminist agenda" t-shirt? She wears it for a page or two within the issue too, but it's not the focus or anything. Was that all it took to set them off, or did I miss something else?

Yep, it was that shirt.

Also, some thought the Phantom Rider shit was fucked up.

Just started The Magicians. Fun show so far. Pacing is all over the damn place though. "This generation's Buffy the Vampire Slayer" my ass.
I know what you mean. Comics are completely off my radar now.
My regular comic buddy bought a whole bunch of Civil War II and says I should read it. Should I GAF?
It has a couple standout issues, but it's mostly just blah. Dat Marquez art is godlike though. The ending amounts to nothing and a lot of the character moments fall flat.

It's the only time I' e given a fuck about Carol Danvers.

Yep, it was that shirt.

Also, some thought the Phantom Rider shit was fucked up.

Huh. The Phantom Rider arc just seemed like a typical goofy dialogue heavy super villain confrontation that Bendis or PAD or someone could've written if I didn't know better. I don't get how anyone could see anything SJW-y or whatever about it. I guess sometimes these abusive Twitter campaigns just run on their own momentum.

jurgen

I think the "MRA-crowd" was more focused on Marvel editorial as they were already having problems with stuff like Jane Thor. People defended and that escalated into two competing dog-piles because Twitter is a dumpster fire of controversy devoid of any rational conversation.

The Phantom Rider "twist" or retcon or whatever caused a bit of a shitstorm with some people on the other side of that argument though. There were people that weren't too happy with a drug/rape being retconned like it was.

When will the TV series adapt that story?

This year we've been treated to an auto tuned Barry Allen singing duets with Super Girl and a love song/proposal to Iris...in the episode immediately after he broke off their engagement.

Barry started running so fast that when he jumped the shark he ended up orbiting the planet several times in outer space. This couldn't really be worse.

How can this be??? This makes no sense

Perhaps a Fat Gun? You can find out for the low price of 99 cents.

That Elongated Man story though

You just know that's hot fire. I'm buying the Elongated Man book with a Flash forward story.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Quite a few and more books need to go IMO.

I can't even disagree with this. I don't know when it happened but my weekly Marvel haul has become absolutely anemic. Cashier at my shop even made a comment a few weeks ago. "Oh, not into the Marvel stuff, huh?" The whole line just isn't appealing for me at the moment outside of Thor stuff, Hawkeye, and All-New Wolverine. Tried X-Men Blue & Gold #1, didn't care for Gold and I just don't feel an urgent need to get this week's issue of Blue. Right now it feels like I go to the shop to pick up my DC and indie stuff, and the occasional Marvel book is in my folder.

mreddie

I can't even disagree with this. I don't know when it happened but my weekly Marvel haul has become absolutely anemic. Cashier at my shop even made a comment a few weeks ago. "Oh, not into the Marvel stuff, huh?" The whole line just isn't appealing for me at the moment outside of Thor stuff, Hawkeye, and All-New Wolverine. Tried X-Men Blue & Gold #1, didn't care for Gold and I just don't feel an urgent need to get this week's issue of Blue. Right now it feels like I go to the shop to pick up my DC and indie stuff, and the occasional Marvel book is in my folder.

Same considering dropping books because of either Empire tie ins or they are really ending.

July has Wasp, Gwenpool, SG, Black Bolt, Iron Men books and MG

Last month, My Marvel pull was more meaty.

Phalanx Covenant kind of sucks

This year we've been treated to an auto tuned Barry Allen singing duets with Super Girl and a love song/proposal to Iris...in the episode immediately after he broke off their engagement.

Barry started running so fast that when he jumped the shark he ended up orbiting the planet several times in outer space. This couldn't really be worse.

I don't regret dropping that show.

You just know that's hot fire. I'm buying the Elongated Man book with a Flash forward story.
And the BEST Flash forward story at that

Finally finished Phalanx Covenant. The X-Men stuff, including Gen Next and Final Sanction, was all fun. Anything with Douglock and the whole arc involving Shinar and the Beacon was all boring as fuck.

So about a 50/50 all together.

Who doesn't love Rumble, though

Stand and be counted, heathens.

And Shutter!

I've not read any comics for like a year lol.

Just read the first TPB for Becky Cloonan's Punisher.

I like it. Way better than Edmondson.

I keep forgetting the Cloonan run existing. I really like Cloonan on Southern Cross, but (RIP of course), I was just never into Dillon's style, his people's faces creep me out, & the guy who they replaced him with isn't my thing either. Edmondson's run was snooze but it did have Gerads, and before that there was Checchetto. Gimme someone exciting and I'll be there.

Huh. The Phantom Rider arc just seemed like a typical goofy dialogue heavy super villain confrontation that Bendis or PAD or someone could've written if I didn't know better. I don't get how anyone could see anything SJW-y or whatever about it. I guess sometimes these abusive Twitter campaigns just run on their own momentum.
You're speaking as if anyone read the book. It was 100% about the cover. No one on either side of that Twitter war read the issue.

Ross61

Dark Knight: Metal thoughts: Since most of those new characters from Dark Matter are supposed to be off-shooting from the series, I wonder if Snyder can handle such a big cast like that. I mean, American Vampire doesn't keep it lite on the character, but to semi-set up so many characters while telling an epic, compelling, and cohesive tale in 6 parts is a mighty task. But since I'm a Snyder fan I'm definitely excited to see him try.

Man, what a great time to be a fan of DC. Scratch that, just comics in fucking general. Hell if I had an empty current backlog, there quite a few Marvel and Valiant books I want to check out.

Dark Knight: Metal thoughts: Since most of those new characters from Dark Matter are supposed to be off-shooting from the series, I wonder if Snyder can handle such a big cast like that. I mean, American Vampire doesn't keep it lite on the character, but to semi-set up so many characters while telling an epic, compelling, and cohesive tale in 6 parts is a mighty task. But since I'm a Snyder fan I'm definitely excited to see him try.

Man, what a great time to be a fan of DC. Scratch that, just comics in fucking general. Hell if I had an empty current backlog, there quite a few Marvel and Valiant books I want to check out.

Hell yes, great post. Despite the pervasive doom and gloom, it is a great time to be fan of comics. My list hasn't be been larger, literally ever, every publisher has something I'm interested, way too many things to actually buy and read them all (and I post that as some who isn't actually that red hot for Rebirth form what I've tried so far - it can't always be THE best time in comics for everyone at every publisher, but it's a great time anyway you look at it).

Given the idea of Black Matter, cosmic reactions etc. it could be that these new characters are introduced in their own books off the back of a catalyst or event that happens in Metal, I guess they might not all actually appear? Or has it actually been said they'll all be in there?

Sucks to hear about Hawkeye. Hadn't even noticed World of Wakanda was already canned(didn't they really promote it at a recent con like 2 years ago with A-Force?). The Daredevil family titles all being canned makes sense. We all said it when they announced it. What titles do we think are next before the relaunch?

Edit: So Magneto IS part of Secret Empire. Urgh.

Donny Cates' cat died :( I think he came back from the con and found it. That's fucking miserable (posted in case anyone wants to tweet him some thoughts etc he seems pretty torn up)

Messi

You don't think they actually read the book do you? Lol

Aizo

Banned

I just saw that cover with that shirt for the first time the other day. Is it bad that my first thought was "I want that shirt"?

...and my second thought... and my third thought. I'm gonna go search now.

Mindwipe

Given the book is an MRA wetdream
(suggesting women sometimes fabricate rape because they feel bad for cheating on someone and are totally fine with the consequences of that for the innocent man)
it's that they hadn't even read it.

Likewise though, some people defended it who would have absolutely torn Marvel a new one if Bendis had written it, and they clearly hadn't read it either and just wanted to have a ruck with the Gamergaters on Twitter.

Top Bottom