• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Finally got (most of) my new haul in!

newhault6o32.jpg

Pretty Deadly vol 1 is a rebuy, I loaned my sister the first volume a few years ago and never saw it again. Shutter vol 2 and Six Gun Gorilla are still out in the dark behind the stars (aka the royal mail service), and I already wrote about The Spire. Really looking forward to reading through these, had a flick through a few, and they look great. Can't believe I'm only just getting to Prophet, I've been planning on picking it up since the first issue previews lol

Is Blue Beetle Rebirth good? I like Scott Kolins but I feel like I remember it getting negative impressions here when it came out
Early issues were pretty rough but it's hit its stride now. I'd check out the first volume when it hits hoopla and work your way forward from there.

kmfdmpig

I know I've said it before but the only Harley I've enjoyed reading has come from Dini. He seems to be the only one that nails that tricky balance of the character. shes way harder to write than I think most people realize.

I've bailed on Harley, and I can't even think of who the comic is for. I like violent comics, so it's not a problem with violence. I like fun comics, so that's no the issue. Harley Queen's Rebirth comics just blends sadism, dumb humor, and random nonsense in a very unappealing way. If Dini can't do it I wouldn't mind Ennis taking a shot on it as he showed a much better ability for the type of tone they're going for in Hitman than Connor and Palmiotti (both I typically like) have shown on HQ.

Messi

I've bailed on Harley, and I can't even think of who the comic is for. I like violent comics, so it's not a problem with violence. I like fun comics, so that's no the issue. Harley Queen's Rebirth comics just blends sadism, dumb humor, and random nonsense in a very unappealing way. If Dini can't do it I wouldn't mind Ennis taking a shot on it as he showed a much better ability for the type of tone they're going for in Hitman than Connor and Palmiotti (both I typically like) have shown on HQ.

It's funny because Dinis backups in Harley Quinn have been out writing the regular title.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Got a flight tomorrow - time to dip a toe back in Marvel:

Black Widow (1-12)
Aaron's Thor (vol 4, right before Jane's arc)
Ms Marvel (12-16)

Any other recent, short arcs I should check out? How was Bunn's Drax / the recent solo GotG books?

kmfdmpig

It's funny because Dinis backups in Harley Quinn have been out writing the regular title.

Dini is a champ. I may need to check out his portions of the book, but honestly, I think I'd skip the main story with them as it just feels like a waste of time to me.

shingi70

Banned
Harley Quinn is still popular but it's totally a book thats out of creative juice. I wouldn't mind a Quinn book thats a bit more serious and more in line with how she's potrayed in Squad. Get Tom Taylor or Stephen Sejic to do a Harley Quinn comedy drama about what she does when she's not with the Squad.

Just bought XO Manowar #1 and Harbinger Renegades #1.

Messi

Dini is a champ. I may need to check out his portions of the book, but honestly, I think I'd skip the main story with them as it just feels like a waste of time to me.

I see on the solicits for July it will be up to part 8. I assume eventually they will put them out as a trade.

Harley Quinn is still popular but it's totally a book thats out of creative juice. I wouldn't mind a Quinn book thats a bit more serious and more in line with how she's potrayed in Squad. Get Tom Taylor or Stephen Sejic to do a Harley Quinn comedy drama about what she does when she's not with the Squad.

Just bought XO Manowar #1 and Harbinger Renegades #1.

I'd kill for a Sejic Harley mini

Kssio_Aug

I'd recommend avoiding both Ultimate and Bendis' runs outside of the first arc or two of each. Ultimate X-Men took a big dip in quality after Millar left and was only interesting for seeing the "twist of the month" on an Ultimate interpretation of an existing character.

Bendis's run is significant for the original 5 X-Men coming from the past but it meanders waaaay too much and a lot of the story arcs fizzle out.

I'd honestly recommend Aaron/Bachalo's Wolverine & The X-Men instead. It becomes a bit formulaic towards the end but the first couple arcs do a great job of capturing that whimsical, bizarre aspect of the X-Men. It's an interesting continuation of the weirdness that both Claremont and Morrison introduced at times in their runs and other writers actively run away from. If you're new to X-Men, I can say that they're definitely fun books.

Claremont's run went for an extremely long time. Like, from the 70's into the 80's. Literally at least a decade. If you don't feel like tackling that (I don't blame you), then any of the other runs I listed are great. All of them are much shorter and far more manageable.

From these 3 series:
- Astonishing X-Men
- All New X-Men (Bendis)
- Wolverine and the X-Men

Which would be the right order to read? Astonishing > Wolverine > All New?

By the way, my Batman: Year One arrived! (BR Copy)

Any other recent, short arcs I should check out? How was Bunn's Drax / the recent solo GotG books?

Can't speak to the GotG stuff, but if you want other recent-ish Marvel reccomends, I really liked the recent Foolkiller miniseries. Mockingbird was also pretty great and only 8 issues.

Slott/Allred's Silver Surfer run as well is utterly fantastic, self-contained, and just a joyous celebration of "comics" if that makes sense. You could just grab TPB 1 of that (New Dawn), or grab 1, 2, and 3 if you want to go 15 issues.

caliph95

Black Widow (1-12)
Aaron's Thor (vol 4, right before Jane's arc)
Ms Marvel (12-16)

Definatel Tom King's Vision that should be the top on your list

World Reader looks like a good spot to jump in on Jeff Loveness and see if he's the real deal. Juan Doe on art too no less. Anyone planning on picking it up?

shingi70

Banned
It was never dead
It's the most consistent for me the only comic id din't like was Dead drop by ales kot and Shadowman was weakest of the series wasn't bad just there

Out of all the books you could tell there wasn't a solid plan for Shadowman. He's their flagship supernatural character and despite introducing some cool character like Mambo and Mirage he never got a big crossover like XO and Harbinger/Bloodshot did.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Can't speak to the GotG stuff, but if you want other recent-ish Marvel reccomends, I really liked the recent Foolkiller miniseries. Mockingbird was also pretty great and only 8 issues.

Slott/Allred's Silver Surfer run as well is utterly fantastic, self-contained, and just a joyous celebration of "comics" if that makes sense. You could just grab TPB 1 of that (New Dawn), or grab 1, 2, and 3 if you want to go 15 issues.

thanks, i'll check out Mockingbird

Silver Surfer is on the list, but i'm waiting til the 2016 run is also done before diving in

Definatel Tom King's Vision that should be the top on your list

already read & loved Vision. AAA-comics right there.

I've read a good portion of there stuff with gaps here and there. No here really talks about them on here despite them putting out some of the most interesting cape books on the market.

It was never dead
It's the most consistent for me the only comic id din't like was Dead drop by ales kot and Shadowman was weakest of the series wasn't bad just there

preach - i'm working my way through Armor Wars slowly. love it all.

From these 3 series:
- Astonishing X-Men
- All New X-Men (Bendis)
- Wolverine and the X-Men

Which would be the right order to read? Astonishing > Wolverine > All New?

By the way, my Batman: Year One arrived! (BR Copy)

Yup, thats the right order. Astonishing is pretty great. Top tier X-Men

Welcome! Another Asterix fan is always great. I still have a few volumes left to finish my collection.

Yeah, the Barks books are not being released in order of volume and they aren't being collected in the Box Sets in order either. I think this is because they are numbering the books in chronological order but want to keep the Scrooge and Donald books in their own box sets.

My guess is that Trick or Treat (v13) and A Chrismas For Shacktown (v11) will be the 2018 box set. And The Ghost Sheriff of Last Gasp (v15) and The Secret of Hondorica (v17) will be the 2019 box set.

Thank you, oh me too, have 1-9 now ^_~

If thats the case, I have to buy it separate because Christmas for Shacktown is the one I bought standalone, with the double includation of Christmas on bear mountain.

Kssio_Aug

Yup, thats the right order. Astonishing is pretty great. Top tier X-Men

Thanks!! I think I'll read these! =)

The old classics series (1960-1990) are way too long for me... I may read some of them over the time, but I don't think I could read them all at once, and not right now (since I want to read many other stuff).

BROTHER

Always nice to see people from Brazil around here :v

And a fan of Spider-Man as well! =P

caliph95

Out of all the books you could tell there wasn't a solid plan for Shadowman. He's their flagship supernatural character and despite introducing some cool character like Mambo and Mirage he never got a big crossover like XO and Harbinger/Bloodshot did.
True but Ninjak and Rapture seems to be a way for it remedy the problem and to make a comeback for him

Zombine

Banned
So Messi was telling me that Terry Moore told me that Strangers In Paradise was returning back in October and I don't remember this conversation at all.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like I always see the Dodsons posting on twitter about their bazillion projects they're working on. 🤷🏻*♂️

Nice, Jordie is doing more ASB(from their newsletter):
Jordie has been working her tail off on the massive 80 page DEADPOOL issue. She's coloured Deadpool plenty of times before but man, she has really pulled out all the stops on Mike Hawthorne's art, it's bloody jaw dropping stuff.

I know, right? She's also about to start on ALL STAR BATMAN next, working on Raphael Albuquerque's arc, it's gonna look great.

Zdarsky on the end of Star-Lord. This feels like a dig at someone higher up at Marvel:
Trade sales won’t save the series, but it may show the higher-ups that a series should breathe a bit before laid out to pasture.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hate how all these superstars are going away.
They dont own me nothing and most likely make mord money now, but its sad that they are all becoming so "lazy"

Messi

So Messi was telling me that Terry Moore told me that Strangers In Paradise was returning back in October and I don't remember this conversation at all.

Literally told you to your face and you turned to me and asked about Sandman. Why you assumed I knew anything about sandman is beyond me.

Top Bottom