• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

read vol. 1 of It-Girl and the Atomics by Jamie Rich and Mike Norton last night - it's whatever. Mike Norton's stuff here is really unexciting and a bit dull, like the definition of serviceable, a shame 'cause that's not what i think when I look at Mike Allred characters (when Allred is drawing them). But the last issue in the TPB is a standalone issue featuring Mr. Gum from Red Rocket 7 and it's drawn by Chynna Clugston-Flores, who can make Allred-type stuff pop, which for some reason i wouldn't have originally thought. Basically, just get #6. And the old stuff.

ITS NOT STAR WARS. It's "Star Wars" feat. Some Marvel character.

I'm having fun with this.

sounds like a Star Wars book i'd be into!

Sat and reread Invisible Republic vol 1 this evening to catch myself back up on the book before I read vol 2. It's a pretty cool book, about reporter in the present investigating the true story of a recently fallen regime and in the past a slowly brewing civil revolt on a colony moon ignited by a pair of escaped *indentured* citizens in the not so far future. I like that the world is appropriately sci-fi with restraint. It makes the most of it's world and premise to emphasise and enlarge it's themes and character arcs but it remains pretty grounded, it's feels like a cousin to Lazarus in terms of visual style and tone (though not nearly as dark) oppose to anything more outlandish. I wouldn't want it from every book, but it works here with the political-social minded themes, and the storytelling between the past and the present keeps the pacing snappy and plot moving.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am so done with this fucker Amgydala. No longer interested in this game.

Sad that I have to finish this amazing masterpiece on a sour note.

Ross61

Suicide Squad is better than it has any right to be
Rob Williams man. I tried telling y'all.

Also I fucking cashed out on that flash Sale on The PlayStation store this weekend for my PS4. Uncharted Collection, Dishonored, Guacamelee, Metro Redux, Both Wolfenstein New Order and the DLC. First time for everything too.

I am so done with this fucker Amgydala. No longer interested in this game.

Sad that I have to finish this amazing masterpiece on a sour note.

Don't give up, dude. Did you try cheesing it and getting behind her? The tail is the weak spot. I had some trouble with her two but just ended up coming back later.

Rob Williams man. I tried telling y'all.

Also I fucking cashed out on that flash Sale on The PlayStation store this weekend for my PS4. Uncharted Collection, Dishonored, Guacamelee, Metro Redux, Both Wolfenstein New Order and the DLC. First time for everything too.

Awesome you got some great stuff in there. Dishonored and Wolfenstein are great places to be for a bit, I love BJ's narration lol. I enjoyed the Metro games too but haven't revisited them for a good while.

Did we have the full DC solicits yet btw?

DC solicits July 2017

Is this bloodborne? Just summon some folks in and move on

Boooooo. I have never summoned anyone for help with SoulsBorne bosses. But seriously, if Amygdala is giving him trouble, oh lordy he's gonna have fun with Ludwig. I must have fought him like 50 times, then the first time I summon an NPC I get him.

DC solicits July 2017

Stop posting these pls. Everytime new solicits come out Messi sends me these long-ass lists of comic titles for some reason. Maybe he should send them to Sillymonkey.

But man, even the statues were a disappointment this month.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ready for this Doctor Aphra and Star Wars crossover event, the last one with Darth Vader was pretty cool. Especially since that Yoda arc wasn't the greatest, not a fan of the stories that are way out there and don't even feel Star War-ish, like the Yoda one.

TheFlow

Banned
DC July Solicits

lot of fun stuff going on

I am picking up Nightwing and Batman beyond because those fights sound to good to be true. Enter the Gauntlet!

Messi

Boooooo. I have never summoned anyone for help with SoulsBorne bosses. But seriously, if Amygdala is giving him trouble, oh lordy he's gonna have fun with Ludwig. I must have fought him like 50 times, then the first time I summon an NPC I get him.

Stop posting these pls. Everytime new solicits come out Messi sends me these long-ass lists of comic titles for some reason. Maybe he should send them to Sillymonkey.

But man, even the statues were a disappointment this month.

Freeza can I send the June list now??

Einchy

My IST haul came in today.

6sZQTun.png

So much to read.

Awesome you got some great stuff in there. Dishonored and Wolfenstein are great places to be for a bit, I love BJ's narration lol. I enjoyed the Metro games too but haven't revisited them for a good while.

DC solicits July 2017

WILDSTORM: A CELEBRATION OF 25 YEARS HC

Written by BRANDON CHOI, J. SCOTT CAMPBELL, WARREN ELLIS, CHRISTOS GAGE and others

Art by JIM LEE, SCOTT WILLIAMS, J. SCOTT CAMPBELL, BRYAN HITCH, PAUL NEARY, DUSTIN NGUYEN, BRETT BOOTH and others

Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

In 1992 Jim Lee changed the course of comics history with the founding of WildStorm Productions, which would revolutionize the business and launch the careers of so many top creators. Now, the WS crew is back to celebrate 25 years of WildStorm with new short stories of the imprint's greatest heroes by their classic creative teams, including WildC.A.T.s by Brandon Choi and Jim Lee; the Authority by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch; Gen13 by J. Scott Campbell; WildCats by Christos Gage and Dustin Nguyen; Backlash by Brett Booth, and more!

This new hardcover also includes a massive pinup gallery featuring new art by WS alumni including John Cassaday, Tim Sale, Adam Hughes, Carlos D'Anda, Adam Warren, Tony Harris, Lee Bermejo, Ryan Benjamin, Neil Googe, Fiona Staples, Cully Hamner and more, plus behind-the-scenes material that will blow your mind, and epic reprints of some of WildStorm's greatest stories! This new hardcover is a must-have for old fans and new readers alike!

On sale AUGUST 23 • 240 pg, FC, $29.99 US

Hmm. Get this in July or wait for Absolute Authority to read the new story.

Bronze Age Swamp Thing Omnibus looks interesting too.

I'm entirely new to this, but that also surprises me. I have read many people saying that Bendis Daredevil is an amazing work! But yeah, I guess you're right cause indeed I've just read some Bendis bashing, maybe Daredevil is one exception for the guy.
Bendis is like anyone: sometimes he's great and sometimes he's terrible. Sometimes he's in the middle. He has enough that he can be both praised and hated. Daredevil, Alias, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Jessica Jones, and Infamous Iron Man are all fantastic. Moon Knight and Scarlet (his indie series) are both decent. His New Avengers, Invincible Iron Man, and Ultimate Spider-Man stuff gets praise. International Iron man was okay (I bailed part of the way in because I felt like it was going nowhere). His Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ultimate End (Secret Wars tie-in) all get a lot of flak. He also has done a lot of events, few of which (if any) are viewed favorably.

His biggest issues are in his dialogue and pacing. Both of which are intertwined to the point where it feels like he uses his style of writing dialogue, which I feel flows naturally (most of the time) and I actually like, to pad out issues and waste space. He has a tendency to meander in the beginning and/or waiver in the end. The former far more than the latter. His dialogue can also be damaging because he has a hard time differentiating voices between the characters, which causes his ensemble books to suffer. This reason alone is why his solo books tend to be stronger.

Bendis' other big problem is how difficult it is for him to operate outside of his own personal continuity, which is why his smaller, street-level stuff is so much better than his larger scale stuff (like his events).

Messi

Was the Batman Rebirth Deluxe edition always 16 issues?? It's the Rebirth issue and the first 3 arcs. 400 pages. Fucking awesome.

I'm entirely new to this, but that also surprises me. I have read many people saying that Bendis Daredevil is an amazing work! But yeah, I guess you're right cause indeed I've just read some Bendis bashing, maybe Daredevil is one exception for the guy.

Bendis has written *a lot* of really really good comics. He's also written a lot of pretty bland and meh comics. Despite the amount of hate you might have come across for his work, he's actually very popular. He'll get more hate in part because Marvel hires him over and over again for high profile books regardless if he's a good fit or if he's really engaged in the property and that tends to magnify his shortcomings.

Einchy

Aw, fucking, yissss. Make sure you read Abe and then Cometh The Hour. So good though. Rumble vol 3 is really great too. Basically a fucking goldmine order there, I read a lot of these lately.

Yeah, gonna knock those off first since I've been waiting for the ending to those for years now. All the others can wait their turn.

Wanderer5

Avengers vs Xmen was bleh, and Civil War 2 was.... something, but I enjoyed the first few volumes of ultimate spiderman (that was ages ago through), and the first tradeback of current Miles Morales run, so I can probably already see that Bendis is better at solo run/street level heh.

Vic_Viper

Anyone have a good guide or reading order for Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. All I can find are trade reading orders, not individual issue order. Basically trying to figure out what comes before the relaunched Amazing Spider-man, after his return from Doc Oc mind control.

Anyone have a good guide or reading order for Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. All I can find are trade reading orders, not individual issue order. Basically trying to figure out what comes before the relaunched Amazing Spider-man, after his return from Doc Oc mind control.

This is the start of the volume after Superior Spider-Man and before the latest one:
https://www.comixology.com/Amazing-...?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785166769/?tag=neogaf0e-20

VanWinkle

Man, I can't wait for the Rebirth OHCs to start coming in. That Batman one being 400 pages is just pure hype to me. Perfect OHC length.

TheFlow

Banned
Man, I can't wait for the Rebirth OHCs to start coming in. That Batman one being 400 pages is just pure hype to me. Perfect OHC length.

happy for you man. This is a great year for Omnibus and Hardcover collectors.

Preacher comes out next month, and coming from a Christian family my people are going to freak out over this. sigh. wish they went with the placeholder cover instead.

61A4okUohOL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yeah, gonna knock those off first since I've been waiting for the ending to those for years now. All the others can wait their turn.

Plus, if you've made it this far with Abe, I assume you've dug the run. Allie's the new BPRD writer, which is probably the best alternative to Arcudi these days on terms of knowing the characters and the world. I feel pumped knowing your gonna read it haha it's almost as good as reading it myself.

Top Bottom