• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

dan2026

God I wish Dini would take over Harley Quinn.
He writes her so much better than Palmiotti and Conner it's not even funny.

Hell I wish he would take over Batman again too.
All his Batman characters are so on point. He writes the best Joker and the best Riddler.

I need more Dini in my life.

Messi

God I wish Dini would take over Harley Quinn.
He writes her so much better than Palmiotti and Conner it's not even funny.

Hell I wish he would take over Batman again too.
All his Batman characters are so on point. He writes the best Joker and the best Riddler.

I need more Dini in my life.

Don't we all. Can't imagine DC or Palmiotti and Conner are in any rush to change what is selling though.

Kssio_Aug

Bendis is like anyone: sometimes he's great and sometimes he's terrible. Sometimes he's in the middle. He has enough that he can be both praised and hated. Daredevil, Alias, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Jessica Jones, and Infamous Iron Man are all fantastic. Moon Knight and Scarlet (his indie series) are both decent. His New Avengers, Invincible Iron Man, and Ultimate Spider-Man stuff gets praise. International Iron man was okay (I bailed part of the way in because I felt like it was going nowhere). His Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ultimate End (Secret Wars tie-in) all get a lot of flak. He also has done a lot of events, few of which (if any) are viewed favorably.

His biggest issues are in his dialogue and pacing. Both of which are intertwined to the point where it feels like he uses his style of writing dialogue, which I feel flows naturally (most of the time) and I actually like, to pad out issues and waste space. He has a tendency to meander in the beginning and/or waiver in the end. The former far more than the latter. His dialogue can also be damaging because he has a hard time differentiating voices between the characters, which causes his ensemble books to suffer. This reason alone is why his solo books tend to be stronger.

Bendis' other big problem is how difficult it is for him to operate outside of his own personal continuity, which is why his smaller, street-level stuff is so much better than his larger scale stuff (like his events).

Bendis has written *a lot* of really really good comics. He's also written a lot of pretty bland and meh comics. Despite the amount of hate you might have come across for his work, he's actually very popular. He'll get more hate in part because Marvel hires him over and over again for high profile books regardless if he's a good fit or if he's really engaged in the property and that tends to magnify his shortcomings.

I see, thank you both for the clarifications. I guess I may get used to some names from now on... lol

Edit:
By the way... which X-Men series would you guys recommend the most to a beginner?

ElNarez

Banned
congratulations on lil' Jude Terror for finally doing one funny thing on line

SpencerCheck-600x399.jpg

Sandfox

But although the old team is together again, this doesn’t mean Spider-Men II will be any less original. Instead, the series asks what it means to create your own unique legacy and move away from the influences that helped to make you who you are. “Over the years,” Bendis explained, “[Miles] has come into his own, and with that comes the question: all right, that’s my hero, but maybe what I love about my hero is that they’re unique to themselves. What about me is special that I am standing here doing this?”
So is Miles going to get his own identity?

Sandfox

They are actually going to call him Miles-Man.

Who could he possibly be!?
In the previous cartoon series they called him Kid Arachnid to differentiate him from Peter. That show is gone though so it has little bearing outside of data on how people felt about that name.

In the previous cartoon series they called him Kid Arachnid to differentiate him from Peter. That show is gone though so it has little bearing outside of data on how people felt about that name.

I hope they come up with a decent name for him. I still don't like Batwing as a hero name.

Don't we all. Can't imagine DC or Palmiotti and Conner are in any rush to change what is selling though.
I know I've said it before but the only Harley I've enjoyed reading has come from Dini. He seems to be the only one that nails that tricky balance of the character. shes way harder to write than I think most people realize.

I didn't even realize the first episode of Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy comes out tomorrow. No reason for me to bother at least until I'm done with Persona 5.

Messi

I know I've said it before but the only Harley I've enjoyed reading has come from Dini. He seems to be the only one that nails that tricky balance of the character. shes way harder to write than I think most people realize.

Sejic has an interesting take on Harleen / Harley. He did these as warm ups over a few days a couple of months ago.

http://orig08.deviantart.net/7674/f/2016/240/a/e/harleen_by_nebezial-daflqj3.jpg

http://orig08.deviantart.net/5545/f/2017/026/d/6/harleen_compilation2_by_nebezial-dawsqvw.jpg

But she seems to be hard to get right. You can go too goofball and it doesn't work. Dini is easily the best writer for her.

I see, thank you both for the clarifications. I guess I may get used to some names from now on... lol

Edit:
By the way... which X-Men series would you guys recommend the most to a beginner?

Uncanny X-Men by Claremont: Basically the run that put the X-Men on the map as one of the biggest franchises in superhero comics, let alone Marvel.

New X-Men by Morrison: Ridiculous and over the top, but like Claremont's run, it's essentially a reboot of the X-books that felt like a "restructuring" of sorts. Showing the X-Men in a completely different light.

All-New X-Men[/B] by Bendis: Another restructuring of sorts for the X-line after Avengers vs. X-Men. Combining this with Bendis' Uncanny X-Men creates a really great run of X-books.

Those are the runs that I feel are best for a complete beginner with zero X-Men knowledge. There are a few books that I think are still great, but I think work best with some already working knowledge (though that's not necessary).

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday: My 100% absolute favorite superhero run, comic run, and X-Men run of all time. Extremely great characterizations, plotting, and dialogue, all while paying great homage to the X-Men's history. Fantastically drawn by Cassaday. Following Morrison's New X-Men directly with this creates a pretty great X-story (especially because Whedon draws from that as well as Claremont's run).

X-Men by Mike Carey; Again, fantastic character work and plotting while digging deep into the X-Men lore. Like, deep. Immensely rewarding to longtime X-fans whilst still accessibly to newbies.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender: A fantastically dark story dealing heavily with the nature of heroism, sacrifice, and murder. Remender knows his shit and applies it well. Again, benefits more from having some sense of the mythos, but not necessary. It's perfectly standalone, but pulls from an area of X-Men lore that I never gave a fuck about until this run.

Those are the ones I can reasonably recommend. There are other good X-books to read, but those are what I can reasonably recommend to a newbie.

Can probably also throw up Ultimate X-Men as well, since the Ultimate books in general were designed for beginners. I recall reading the first few Ultimate arcs and enjoying them a lot. It's been awhile and I do mean to revisit it.

Kssio_Aug

Uncanny X-Men by Claremont: Basically the run that put the X-Men on the map as one of the biggest franchises in superhero comics, let alone Marvel.

New X-Men by Morrison: Ridiculous and over the top, but like Claremont's run, it's essentially a reboot of the X-books that felt like a "restructuring" of sorts. Showing the X-Men in a completely different light.

All-New X-Men[/B] by Bendis: Another restructuring of sorts for the X-line after Avengers vs. X-Men. Combining this with Bendis' Uncanny X-Men creates a really great run of X-books.

Those are the runs that I feel are best for a complete beginner with zero X-Men knowledge. There are a few books that I think are still great, but I think work best with some already working knowledge (though that's not necessary).

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday: My 100% absolute favorite superhero run, comic run, and X-Men run of all time. Extremely great characterizations, plotting, and dialogue, all while paying great homage to the X-Men's history. Fantastically drawn by Cassaday. Following Morrison's New X-Men directly with this creates a pretty great X-story (especially because Whedon draws from that as well as Claremont's run).

X-Men by Mike Carey; Again, fantastic character work and plotting while digging deep into the X-Men lore. Like, deep. Immensely rewarding to longtime X-fans whilst still accessibly to newbies.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender: A fantastically dark story dealing heavily with the nature of heroism, sacrifice, and murder. Remender knows his shit and applies it well. Again, benefits more from having some sense of the mythos, but not necessary. It's perfectly standalone, but pulls from an area of X-Men lore that I never gave a fuck about until this run.

Those are the ones I can reasonably recommend. There are other good X-books to read, but those are what I can reasonably recommend to a newbie.

Can probably also throw up Ultimate X-Men as well, since the Ultimate books in general were designed for beginners. I recall reading the first few Ultimate arcs and enjoying them a lot. It's been awhile and I do mean to revisit it.

The Uncanny X-Men, you mean the #94 to 188?
This entire collection here? https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=uncanny+x-men+masterworks&subType=COLLECTIONS&lang=1

Do you think I'll be great with All-New X-Man + Astonishing X-Men?
Uncanny X-Men seems HUUGE! =o

Claremont's run went for an extremely long time. Like, from the 70's into the 80's. Literally at least a decade. If you don't feel like tackling that (I don't blame you), then any of the other runs I listed are great. All of them are much shorter and far more manageable.

jurgen

I'd recommend avoiding both Ultimate and Bendis' runs outside of the first arc or two of each. Ultimate X-Men took a big dip in quality after Millar left and was only interesting for seeing the "twist of the month" on an Ultimate interpretation of an existing character.

Bendis's run is significant for the original 5 X-Men coming from the past but it meanders waaaay too much and a lot of the story arcs fizzle out.

I'd honestly recommend Aaron/Bachalo's Wolverine & The X-Men instead. It becomes a bit formulaic towards the end but the first couple arcs do a great job of capturing that whimsical, bizarre aspect of the X-Men. It's an interesting continuation of the weirdness that both Claremont and Morrison introduced at times in their runs and other writers actively run away from. If you're new to X-Men, I can say that they're definitely fun books.

shingi70

Banned
BATMAN ’66/LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

I know of Batman Legion and Bug. Was here another Batman series still being worked on.

Valiant's catalog on comixology unlimited is weirdly sparodic. Shame they don't dump everything on their for newer readers or do another humble bundle. I recall Scribd had everything up to the first few issues series that started After the Valuant ended.

I'd recommend avoiding both Ultimate and Bendis' runs outside of the first arc or two of each. Ultimate X-Men took a big dip in quality after Millar left and was only interesting for seeing the "twist of the month" on an Ultimate interpretation of an existing character.

Bendis's run is significant for the original 5 X-Men coming from the past but it meanders waaaay too much and a lot of the story arcs fizzle out.

I'd honestly recommend Aaron/Bachalo's Wolverine & The X-Men instead. It becomes a bit formulaic towards the end but the first couple arcs do a great job of capturing that whimsical, bizarre aspect of the X-Men. It's an interesting continuation of the weirdness that both Claremont and Morrison introduced at times in their runs and other writers actively run away from. If you're new to X-Men, I can say that they're definitely fun books.
I can agree with All-New fizzling out, but Uncanny doesn't. Like I said, I was using runs that you effectively don't need any prior X knowledge to really get a full grasp of. I haven't read Aaron's WatXM. And I figured Ultimate went downhill, but the beginning was enjoyable and I've seen praise for BKV's run.

Sandfox

I know of Batman Legion and Bug. Was here another Batman series still being worked on.

Valiant's catalog on comixology unlimited is weirdly sparodic. Shame they don't dump everything on their for newer readers or do another humble bundle. I recall Scribd had everything up to the first few issues series that started After the Valuant ended.
He's doing an issue of Doom Patrol.

jurgen

Man, that's a lot of Teen Titans on sale at Comixology at the moment. Any suggestions?

Most of the claassic Wolfman/Perez stuff is good. I don't know how well it holds up today (it's been a long time since I read it). But it was the best contemporary rival to Claremont's classic X-Men run, if that gives you any context for how good it is.

Other than that and the Judas Contract issues, I can only personally recommend the Deathstroke Rebirth stuff because Priest's current run is so damn good.

Hi, i know im not activ in this thread but I check it from time to time.

First I'm excited that the last vol. of chew is delieverd this week. Liked the series very much.

I started to collect the Don Rosa and carl barks library editions two years ago. I'm a little confused about the trick or treat vol. Of carl barks. Because the gift sets (which I collect) jumped this vol. can't find any info online if it will be included later on or if it's treated like a special Halloween vol. Does anybody know what's up with that?

And just a "few" years late I discovered that fantagraphics also publishes mickey mouse by Floyd Gottfredson. Makes me happy to be able to read some of these stories again.

My love for comics started again with an recommendation for bone from you guys a few years ago and now I have a pretty collection, from bone over Blacksad, the goon, Hellboy to Donald Duck and Asterix (and a few more ^_~) Thanks again

arkon

First I'm excited that the last vol. of chew is delieverd this week. Liked the series very much.

I started to collect the Don Rosa and carl barks library editions two years ago. I'm a little confused about the trick or treat vol. Of carl barks. Because the gift sets (which I collect) jumped this vol. can't find any info online if it will be included later on or if it's treated like a special Halloween vol. Does anybody know what's up with that?

From what I remember when reading up on it. They will collect everything in the boxed sets. That's why you have that one christmas volume in two boxed sets. I forget the exact title of it.

arkon

Actually looking for what comes before this, everything after Superior Spider-man is alot easier to follow than what comes before lol. Basically when does Slot take over as the sole write on ASM?

It's the start of the Big Time collections. So issue 648 iirc.

Is Blue Beetle Rebirth good? I like Scott Kolins but I feel like I remember it getting negative impressions here when it came out

Man, that's a lot of Teen Titans on sale at Comixology at the moment. Any suggestions?

seconding Deathstroke Rebirth

lol at it being the only book I can no-caveats recommend in this Teen Titans sale. The New 52 Lobdell books are wack, Earth One is boring (imo), the Perez/Wolfman stuff is good but dated (but probably worth revisiting), and I haven't read either Teen Titans Go! series. Might give the newer ones a go though

Sandfox

Is Blue Beetle Rebirth good? I like Scott Kolins but I feel like I remember it getting negative impressions here when it came out

seconding Deathstroke Rebirth

lol at it being the only book I can no-caveats recommend in this Teen Titans sale. The New 52 Lobdell books are wack, Earth One is boring (imo), the Perez/Wolfman stuff is good but dated (but probably worth revisiting), and I haven't read either Teen Titans Go! series. Might give the newer ones a go though

I didn't like what I read of Blue Beetle. The dialogue was really bad and it felt like the writer had no ideas how kids talk.

From what I remember when reading up on it. They will collect everything in the boxed sets. That's why you have that one christmas volume in two boxed sets. I forget the exact title of it.

Thx for the reply, hope so, don't understand why they jumped one volume, got nervous when it went out of stock on Amazon in Europe (they have it again, so I figured time to ask). Christmas for Shacktown, this one I bought separate because I just started to collect. Love this collection and the quality of the prints.

casual hoping to maybe poke back into comics in the near future...

Are any of Marvel's new X-Men books off to a decent start? I know it's literally just one issue deep for almost all of them, with a few having not even debuted, but any sense of promise emerging from the first issues?

Also, has Infamous Iron Man been any good? I thought the concept sounded amazing when it was announced but I haven't been following reviews. I know it's quite a few issues in now, wondering if it's garnered a positive reaction?
How does the Marvel Universe NOT come to a halt via Victor von Doom just being too effective as a good guy?

casual hoping to maybe poke back into comics in the near future...

Are any of Marvel's new X-Men books off to a decent start? I know it's literally just one issue deep for almost all of them, with a few having not even debuted, but any sense of promise emerging from the first issues?

Also, has Infamous Iron Man been any good? I thought the concept sounded amazing when it was announced but I haven't been following reviews. I know it's quite a few issues in now, wondering if it's garnered a positive reaction?
How does the Marvel Universe NOT come to a halt via Victor von Doom just being too effective as a good guy?
All-New Wolverine is pretty good. Taylor mentioned on twitter they're doing a GotG team-up in the solicits this week to jump on the movie hype.

Deathstroke #17 preview.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Don't give up, dude. Did you try cheesing it and getting behind her? The tail is the weak spot. I had some trouble with her two but just ended up coming back later.
I thought thats the point where she is the strongest?
I am always going for the legs to make her lower the head

Aizo

Banned
About this ComiXology teen Titans sale... why is Rebirth Deathstroke on sale, but Rebirth Teen Titans isn't?? Also, Geoff Johns' run isn't on sale, but new 52 is? Who are they trying to fool with that shit?

And just a "few" years late I discovered that fantagraphics also publishes mickey mouse by Floyd Gottfredson. Makes me happy to be able to read some of these stories again.

My love for comics started again with an recommendation for bone from you guys a few years ago and now I have a pretty collection, from bone over Blacksad, the goon, Hellboy to Donald Duck and Asterix (and a few more ^_~) Thanks again

Welcome! Another Asterix fan is always great. I still have a few volumes left to finish my collection.

Yeah, the Barks books are not being released in order of volume and they aren't being collected in the Box Sets in order either. I think this is because they are numbering the books in chronological order but want to keep the Scrooge and Donald books in their own box sets.

My guess is that Trick or Treat (v13) and A Chrismas For Shacktown (v11) will be the 2018 box set. And The Ghost Sheriff of Last Gasp (v15) and The Secret of Hondorica (v17) will be the 2019 box set.

Oh man that Grayson omnibus will be sooooo good.

Fourth World Omnibus is the only thing I want for Christmas though.

I am scared to look at the total cost of my wish list for the second half of the year...

Top Bottom