• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

The Brubaker series? I tried reading it once before, couldn't really get into it. Maybe I should try it again.

Also remember trying Moore's WildCATS but again, couldn't really get into it.

Will try WildCATS 3.0. Don't think I've ever read anything by Casey.
Yea it's Brubaker and Philips. One of their early collaborations that's great. Undercover secret agent in the land of cape villians. Great stuff

Also Wildcats is a book that I felt was the strongest thing Casey did. Corporate cape book. Really awesome and there wasn't anything like it when it came out

tim1138

Ok, what should I track down from the old Wildstorm stuff after I finish Stormwatch?

Sleeper is a must read.
Planetary
I always loved wildcats 3.0

To this list I'd add Gail Simone's run on Gen13 and Welcome to Tranquility, A God Somewhere by Arcudi and Snejbjerg, I remember DV8 Gods and Monsters being good but it is a Brian Wood comic so there's all that, if you like BKV Ex Machina is good. I'm guessing you're also going to read the Authority.

Was Kirby included?

😍😍😍 That Barda

caliph95

If we are going with creaor owned stuff there is Gloal Frequency by Eliis and Ex machina
there is also a bunch of alan moore stuff

To this list I'd add Gail Simone's run on Gen13 and Welcome to Tranquility, A God Somewhere by Arcudi and Snejbjerg, I remember DV8 Gods and Monsters being good but it is a Brian Wood comic so there's all that, if you like BKV Ex Machina is good. I'm guessing you're also going to read the Authority.

If we are going with creaor owned stuff there is Gloal Frequency by Eliis and Ex machina
there is also a bunch of alan moore stuff

I've read/tried to read a lot of the Wildstorm "standalone" stuff. Ex Machina, Sleeper, Global Frequency, Planetary, Authority, Astro City, etc.

It actually looks like I am working backwards for the mainline Wildstorm characters. Planetary > Authority > Stormwatch > whatever I pick next.

Thanks for all the WS suggestions, definitely want to start reading more of them once I finish Stormwatch myself. Shoulda brought my hardcovers with me on vacation, oh well. I know I'm gonna get Ennis's Midnighter when the trade drops this year.

I really want to get into Astro City so I might go for that next. I read a few issues and adored it so I know it's to my liking. Is there a good reading order for the trades and all that? I remember being somewhat confused by all the different names for the series.

Astro city is amazing but I never associate it with Wildstorm. And it's a book that the more you learn comic books the better it gets when you see where all the influences and homages come from

VanWinkle

Finally got the Knightfall Omnibus in. Looking VERY cool. After I read Absolute WW by Azzarello/Chiang Vol. 1 I might have to start it.

KNcyX2O.jpg

YtNUeRp.jpg

o6f44fs.jpg

Finally got the Knightfall Omnibus in. Looking VERY cool. After I read Absolute WW by Azzarello/Chiang Vol. 1 I might have to start it.

http://i.imgur.com/KNcyX2O.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YtNUeRp.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/o6f44fs.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
So how much of the Knight fall/Quest/End is included? Seems like the whole thing

VanWinkle

So how much of the Knight fall/Quest/End is included? Seems like the whole thing

Nah there will be Knightfall, Quest, and End omnis. They just add some more material over what was in the recent thick trades. This one adds Batman #484-490 and Detective #654-658. (the issues leading up to what was in the trade).

error4041

I asked Rosenberg about Kingpin's appearant cancellation. and he just said that they don't have a issue for July. Probably still canceled, but I can irrationally assume that this means that the book might be back in August,

frye

The Brubaker series? I tried reading it once before, couldn't really get into it. Maybe I should try it again.

Also remember trying Moore's WildCATS but again, couldn't really get into it.

Will try WildCATS 3.0. Don't think I've ever read anything by Casey.

Casey did volume 2 of Wildcats too (well, after a half dozen Lobdell issues) that's very good and cool despite being a Joe Casey comic

Sleeper actually is tied to the main universe. Just loosely so people can read it and not even realize it

yeah, almost no one ever reads it but the prequel to Sleeper stars fucking Grifter of all people

Sandfox

I'm listening to a Guardians interview with Duggan and Kuder and the book sounds pretty interesting. They went in pretty good detail about future plans for the book so these aree legit spoilers:
-The book is going to tackle cosmic entities reacting to a feeling that the universe was reconstructed(Secret Wars) and they will be hunting down the Infinity Stones(which haven't shown up since the event). Duggan said this is the biggest thing he has done at Marvel
-Ideas that people haven't thought about in a long time will be reintroduced. Including old fan favorite characters
-The story explaining Baby Groot is going to be "profoundly messed up"
-No Thanos stories planned
-They are going to continue some stuff from the DnA run hinted at, like stuff with the Nova Corp, and villians, along with some Uncanny Avenger/Rage of Ultron stuff popping
-Duggan has been writing Rich, but won't tell us where
-Stuff that shows up early will be setting the seeds for stories that could drop in year 2 or 3

Combined with the stuff that we already knew I'm expecting a good run.

Dalek

I'm listening to a Guardians interview with Duggan and Kudar and the book sounds pretty interesting. They went in pretty good detail about future plans for the book so these aree legit spoilers:
-The book is going to tackle cosmic entities reacting to a feeling that the universe was reconstructed(Secret Wars) and they will be hunting down the Infinity Stones(which haven't shown up since the event). Duggan said this is the biggest thing he has done at Marvel
-Ideas that people haven't thought about in a long time will be reintroduced. Including old fan favorite characters
-They are going to continue some stuff from the DnA run hinted at, like stuff with the Nova Corp, and villians, along with some Uncanny Avenger/Rage of Ultron stuff popping
-Stuff that shows up early will be setting the seeds for stories that could drop in year 2 or 3

This all sounds great and sounds like exactly the kind of stuff the team should have been doing in all those wasted years under Bendis.

By the way-The Button part 1 is so good.

I'm listening to a Guardians interview with Duggan and Kudar and the book sounds pretty interesting. They went in pretty good detail about future plans for the book so these aree legit spoilers:

Let's hope they get to year 2.

arkon

Thanks for all the WS suggestions, definitely want to start reading more of them once I finish Stormwatch myself. Shoulda brought my hardcovers with me on vacation, oh well. I know I'm gonna get Ennis's Midnighter when the trade drops this year.

I really want to get into Astro City so I might go for that next. I read a few issues and adored it so I know it's to my liking. Is there a good reading order for the trades and all that? I remember being somewhat confused by all the different names for the series.
If you're just reading along in trades it's not difficult. Follow the trade publishing order.

Anyone know if there's a step between the tradebacks and the omnibus for green lantern? I sure haven't found any if that's the case.

The omnibus is like a bus and the tradebacks are hard to come by. I want some of that laying down-reading.

You want the books that are Called Oversized Hardcovers on the Marvel Side and Deluxe Editions on the DC side.

But did they release the Johns GL run in that format? I don't think so. Those hardcovers were from a time when Marvel and DC went HC -> TPB for pretty much everything, even the single-arc collections.

Nope, switcheroo with Rebirth. Trades and then deluxe (OHC) later if sales warrant. Oppose to the six issue HCs first then paperback. More Marvel style pretty much. Except for specific circumstances like All Star Batman or Trinity,

Which is good because lol when you'd have hardcovers where the actual covers were thicker than the pagecount.

Batman

Well damn, now that's a way to start a crossover.

I love when King uses the 9 panel layout. Adds a level of suspense so nicely in this issue.

Deathstroke

rdIXgjT.gif

tim1138

I wasn't sure what to expect from Batman this week, but King and Fabok did not disappoint. I'm really going to be surprised if
we don't get a closing shot on Saturn Girl in Arkham with a trickle of blood splattered down the smiley face on the wall
. I find myself most drawn to
Thawne
and what role he's going to play in all this.

Trade reading order!

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kxW5Ivs.png[/img]

CMX reading order!

1) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-1995-1996/comics-series/11052

2) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-1996-2000/comics-series/11109

3) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-Local-Heroes-2003-2004/comics-series/12192

4) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-The-Dark-Age-2005-2009/comics-series/12494

5) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-Shining-Stars/digital-comic/87445

6) https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-2013/comics-series/10371

Which is good because lol when you'd have hardcovers where the actual covers were thicker than the pagecount.

Too true. The new HB ogn is out today. 56pg and a hardcover, the type with the pinched in spine. Sure, it looks nice, but not a big fan. Give me a chunky HC.... Although not too chunky, none of this omnibus business Van Winkle is so enamored with. 12 to 18 issues is spot on.

I'm wasn't sure what to expect from Batman this week, but King and Fabok did not disappoint. I'm really going to be surprised if
we don't get a closing shot on Saturn Girl in Arkham with a trickle of blood splattered know the smiley face on the wall
. I find myself most drawn to
Thawne
and what role he's going to play in all this.

Oh, shit, that prediction, sonnnnnn!!!!

ElNarez

Banned
The hockey player dying and Flash not being able to do anything about it
is an Alan-Moore-As-Fuck moment and just about the perfect way of showing Watchmen as an invasive force in the DCU. The first two fucking panels of this, with the
circle in the hockey rink becoming the clock face coming closer to midnight
is a spectacular way of showing it visually.

And between the thematic stuff there's also Fabok and Anderson fucking showing off in a 9-panel technical showcase.

GOOD GOD THAT WAS GOOD SACRILEGE.

The hockey player dying and Flash not being able to do anything about it
is an Alan-Moore-As-Fuck moment and just about the perfect way of showing Watchmen as an invasive force in the DCU. The first two fucking panels of this, with the
circle in the hockey rink becoming the clock face coming closer to midnight
is a spectacular way of showing it visually.

And between the thematic stuff there's also Fabok and Anderson fucking showing off in a 9-panel technical showcase.

GOOD GOD THAT WAS GOOD SACRILEGE.
I'm really looking forward to the Strip Panel Naked video on this arc.

Sounds like Roughneck is a total triumph by Lemire, super excited for that. Waiting til May the 4th (be with you) for UK book stores to get stock unfortunately. Anyone planning on picking it up?

ElNarez

Banned
There's a fucking "hawk-eye" moment in The Wild Storm #3 and it's the most I've laughed at a book this week pre-opening up the Erica Henderson variant of Sex Criminals.

tim1138

There's a fucking "hawk-eye" moment in The Wild Storm #3 and it's the most I've laughed at a book this week pre-opening up the Erica Henderson variant of Sex Criminals.

How great was that opening sequence? This book is so good.

Please post the Henderson cover.

Top Bottom