• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was extremely skeptical since no Ostrander, hence why I didn't read any of the issues yet when they came out, but boy was I surprised. I certainly didn't expect to read them all in a single sitting. Great great stuff, and it's instantly one of my favorite Star Wars series ever, and I've been reading SW comics the early 90's Dark Empire days. It really is written as a sequel to the original trilogy, and it's very rare to see a SW comic book blend the dialogue, story beats and overall plotting that are characteristic of the original movies to the comic book medium so well. Can't recommend this enough, check it out!

How can you guys be skeptical about this when its written by the Hardman duo!?

Those 2 produce only quality stuff.

Lombaszko

I feel like I can put up with art I'm not fond of if the writing is strong. Two issues in, Pak is killing Batman/Superman so I think something should be said for that. I don't hate Booth's art, but I do agree that Lee's has been FANTASTIC on that book.

DC 4 LYFE

ElNarez

Banned
Booth has his qualities. I mean, he's 90s as hell, but not in a way that actively makes the storytelling worse. He's like a more refined early Jim Lee, which I can totally live with depending on who's inking and coloring him.

I'm doing my quarterly amazon artbook/trade paperback binge. How is Mouse Guard? Besides being incredibly adorable, does it tell a good story?

I might as well post my order:

Luther Strode (never heard of it until the Image movie thread)
Saga v2

Passed on Mouse Guard but I can always make a second order.

Maybe I should get Punk Rock Jesus? The art looks fantastic.

I've only read the Free Comic Book Day Mouse Guard story, but it was really incredible. I loved it. On the strength of that, I ordered the first hardcover. I don't think they print the Mouse Guard collections in trade paperback, if that matters to you. It's a good-looking book and I look forward to dipping into it. I'd be surprised if I didn't own the full collection, eventually.

tm24

I'm doing my quarterly amazon artbook/trade paperback binge. How is Mouse Guard? Besides being incredibly adorable, does it tell a good story?

Passed on Mouse Guard but I can always make a second order.

Its a beautiful book that i loved. The story is pretty great. Just note that that collections are in a weird shape that may not work on your shelf. The anthology is also great. I need to buy the Black Axe mini now that i think about it

So I am looking to get back into comics. I bought a few issues on my phone after looking up which series are really good since N52 and Marvel Now.

My (extremely biased) advice:
- Dump the Justice League and Action Comics stuff...it goes nowhere
- The flagship Batman title is stellar up through Death in the Family...top DC book
- Hawkeye is Marvel's best comic, and the best monthly being released in all of comics
- Daredevil is the second best Marvel comic, sogood.gif
- Captain America is excellent and great jumping on point, too
- Thor is stellar...think black metal meets Norse mythology
- X-Men (the all girl team) has been great for the first three issues
- Iron Man is trash, Land ruined everything
- Hulk was meh for me

Consider Image. I would take any of these over anything DC does (and most of Marvel):
- If you aren't reading Saga, you're doing it wrong
- Lazarus has been excellent for the first two issues
- The Manhattan Projects
- Chew

Have you read Locke & Key?

wish these comapnies would wait for these events tog et clsoer tot he end before spoiling them. makes the current evernt seems useless.

frye

Booth has his qualities. I mean, he's 90s as hell, but not in a way that actively makes the storytelling worse. He's like a more refined early Jim Lee, which I can totally live with depending on who's inking and coloring him.

I've read way more of those New 52 Teen Titans comics than I would like to admit but the only good thing I can say about Booth is that he drew Cassie jacked as fuck.

Kevin Maguire on his recent firing from JL3000:

Well, I don’t want to make any big deal about it but I suppose I should say something. This is, as I tweeted, very humiliating. Obviously, I was looking forward to working on a fairly high profile book. I haven’t had a top ten book since the 80s and I thought this would finally be my shot at doing one. But it’s DC‘s book, it’s their property, they can do whatever they want with it. They don’t owe me anything. I’ve been told they wanted a book that was “dark and gritty”, so I’m perplexed as to why they chose us for that. We did exactly the kind of book you would expect from us. Lots of action and humor. AND I turned down a Bendis X-Men project to do JL3K.

As for my doing other projects with DC, they offered me a four page story and a 10 page digital first story. They’re paychecks, so I’m grateful for that, but they’re no Justice League #1. I really don’t want to do back ups and fill-ins for my career. So, right now, I’ll do the four pager and then I think that’ll be it for me and DC for a while. I’ve received some interesting offers from other companies. Marvel generously offered me an issue of a cool book, so I’m going to do that for now, then see what happens.

I was supposed to do Baltimore Comic Con next month with Giffen and DeMatteis, but I’ll be canceling that for obvious reason. Apart from the fact that I no longer have a project to promote with them, Giffen’s Newsarama quote, which I’m certain had no intended malice, still kinda stung.

That’s it. That covers all I have to say about this. It’ll be forgotten news by next week and we all move on with our lives.

Link (Bleeding Cool)

kmfdmpig

DC handled this poorly. Looks like he was under the impression that this was gonna be the same mold as Hawkeye and Superior Foes with humor and fun, something that is lacking from DC's lineup and decided togo with dark and gritty.
I like dc bit that is annoying and seems like a really dumb decision.

Owzers

Giffen’s Newsarama quote, which I’m certain had no intended malice, still kinda stung.

No kidding.

Speaking of DC not allowing their books to be any fun, i need to try Batman 66 sometime. Anyone up to date on it?

The omnibus/oversized hardcover is the final form of a comic, i tend to stick with them.
Omni/oversized is always a given. The question is more double dipping towards digital when there's stuff I'd also like to read (again) while traveling.

I wish DC would add digital copies, period. It'd be nice to also have a digital edition of my beautiful Animal Man omnibus.
I have still to receive mine but I share the feeling. DC is a bit all over the place in terms of formats when it comes to hardcovers though. Doesn't Didio hate trades anyway?

Takuan

- The flagship Batman title is stellar up through Death in the Family...top DC book
Is it the New 52 Batman?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1401235417/

Ordered (thanks, Dysun). Looks like I'll be waiting a little while for it to arrive, but I've plenty to keep my occupied.

Its a beautiful book that i loved. The story is pretty great. Just note that that collections are in a weird shape that may not work on your shelf. The anthology is also great. I need to buy the Black Axe mini now that i think about it
Yeah, the shape is no problem. I first saw it at a comic book store and both the art and form factor jumped out at me.

I've only read the Free Comic Book Day Mouse Guard story, but it was really incredible. I loved it. On the strength of that, I ordered the first hardcover. I don't think they print the Mouse Guard collections in trade paperback, if that matters to you. It's a good-looking book and I look forward to dipping into it. I'd be surprised if I didn't own the full collection, eventually.
I'll probably save the series for my next binge. I'm in a Batty mood and will probably get the New 52 hardcover TPBs if that's what Tragicom was referring to.

Tizoc

Kevin Mauire would be the one reason I would read a Bendis X-Men book even if it had Wolverine as 'Grr snikt bub beer'.

Oh and IMO Daredevil>Hawkeye.

Morrison's Action Comics run was good IMO, but then again I'm a Morrison fanboy so...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kevin Maguire on his recent firing from JL3000:

Link (Bleeding Cool)

I’ve been told they wanted a book that was “dark and gritty”, so I’m perplexed as to why they chose us for that.
Sounds like serious mismanagement. Doesn't this stuff get covered before you hire someone? Stupid DC.

That comment by Giffen was certainly in poor taste. I know you have to do your PR bullshit, but at least couch your excitement for the replacement as coinciding with a change in direction for the book.

hamchan

So just finished reading the whole of Avengers vs X-Men.

I now know where the "Cyclops was right" meme comes from. I do have to take Cyclops side in the whole thing because I feel the Avengers were acting like douches. If they had just talked things out instead of bringing a whole helicarrier full of heroes and demanding Hope, the whole event probably wouldn't have happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So just finished reading the whole of Avengers vs X-Men.

I now know where the "Cyclops was right" meme comes from. I do have to take Cyclops side in the whole thing because I feel the Avengers were acting like douches. If they had just talked things out instead of bringing a whole helicarrier full of heroes and demanding Hope, the whole event probably wouldn't have happened.

Yep. Cyke was right.

#cykeshotfirst

Captain America #10 Preview
The end of Dimension Z (potential spoilers)
Cover
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

Oh man, this arc has been insanely good.

X-factor 260: Really fantastic iusse. Lorna is such a under sued character. sad to see this series end.

ANXM- solid issue, might drop after battle for the atom

How come I can't go a single week without hearing about some DC fuck-up? I really enjoyed Trinity War but every time I open this thread for comic news its always super negative. Does Marvel not have these problems or do people just Luke to pick on DC?

How come I can't go a single week without hearing about some DC fuck-up? I really enjoyed Trinity War but every time I open this thread for comic news its always super negative. Does Marvel not have these problems or do people just Luke to pick on DC?

not really marvel editors know how to pick the talent for the books and let them do their job.also these problem rearly happen on a regualr basis if anything. in fact the only thinkg like this i can remeber from marvel was them firing Waid/Weringo off fantiastic four

at DC it seems all the editors want to write the books themsleves

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Marvel has it's own problems, but DC's editorial department just makes painful decisions on a regular basis.

EDIT: I looked at the Trinity War spoilers and I completely understand
Snyder's decision to go back and do an origin story and everyone else's willingness to tie into it
. I'd want to get away from that as well, especially if I was
on a Bat-book

ReiGun

DC is something of a mess at the moment as far as editorial is concerned. Marvel has its own issues that crop up, but their editorial staff has its head on straight and does right by creators for the most part.

I mean, I'm sure there's a group that just likes to pick on DC, but DC isn't doing themselves any favors by constantly giving those people things to pick on.

With all the "mess" DC is in they managed 6 out of 7 of the top books in July and held the market share for the month. Yes to us comic book fans on the internet that follow not only comic characters but the people that create them, DC looks bad. There is a good chunk of people who just follow the characters and they are buying the books. They are doing something right.

ReiGun

I just don't get all the editorial interference and desire to dictate the direction of every book. Look at DC's more successful books, and its clear that they're all the ones where creators are allowed to just do their thing without too many people looking over their shoulder. I don't even have much problem with the "dark and gritty" thing (I admit they could use more "fun" in the lineup, but neither approach necessarily guarantees a good book and there's definitely a middle ground here). It's this burning need to have complete control over the entire line and firing anyone who disagrees that continues to perplex me. They're getting a mountain of bad press, losing creatives to their competitors, and as JL3k shows, having to disrupt the line and push back product because people aren't staying on titles. At some point, someone at DC is going to have to stand up and say "What the fuck are we doing?"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just read this dope-ass shit:

ZtgA15h.jpg

I really, REALLY liked it. Love Egypt anyway, but Captain Marvel is dope and so is Black Adam.

I just don't get all the editorial interference and desire to dictate the direction of every book. Look at DC's more successful books, and its clear that they're all the ones where creators are allowed to just do their thing without too many people looking over their shoulder. I don't even have much problem with the "dark and gritty" thing (I admit they could use more "fun" in the lineup, but neither approach necessarily guarantees a good book and there's definitely a middle ground here). It's this burning need to have complete control over the entire line and firing anyone who disagrees that continues to perplex me. They're getting a mountain of bad press, losing creatives to their competitors, and as JL3k shows, having to disrupt the line and push back product because people aren't staying on titles. At some point, someone at DC is going to have to stand up and say "What the fuck are we doing?"
So long as Batman, Superman, Justice League, and event books chart at the top month in and month out, no one at DC will ever ask that question. All the rest of it doesn't matter, and in December when JL3000 charts in the Top10 no one in charge will be thinking about how they treated Maguire.

ReiGun

So long as Batman, Superman, Justice League, and event books chart at the top month in and month out, no one at DC will ever ask that question. All the rest of it doesn't matter, and in December when JL3000 charts in the Top10 no one in charge will be thinking about how they treated Maguire.

Call me an optimist, but I think someone will eventually ask that question. It just won't be for a long, long time due to the reasons you just listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom