• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman Premium Format.

HHHNNNGGGGGG
300115-wonder-woman-004.jpg
300115-wonder-woman-002.jpg

When I'm browsing ebay for Legion lots I try to remember and hope I don't have it before I bid? And then I get sad when it's got a bunch of duplicates?

I really should be more precise about it.
I hate when that has happened in my game collections. It's why I finally sorted them all.

Speaking of eBay lots. There's some good deals sometimes. For example I got the whole Peter David super girl run for pretty cheap.

Still need to read it. I hear good things

Cheska

I don't own it yet, but I've had it preordered for months and lucked out by getting in when the exclusive edition was still available.

Edit: thanks Korupt! Haha!

Remember last Sunday when I plowed through 3 books? I can barely lift a finger to the TV remote today. I just keep on looking at my shelf and thinking I want to but never do anything.

Tales from the long boxes.

I went back and rediscovered comics I've forgotten I owned and read.

In this edition I'll talk to an easy one I do recall getting but never quite sure why. That is of course catwoman volume 1

I got into comics in the early 90s and I started with x-men, image comics, and batman. And when I started they were in the middle of the event Knightfall. And one comic that spun out of knightfall was Catwomans own series. So I bought it from the start. I don't remember too much but I thought it was pretty good. And back then I would ride out lulls in my comic runs since I didn't have too many (oh how the times have changed). Back then I didn't care who were the writers but the issues I dug seemed to be from Dixon (no surprise) and moench and the tie-in issues to the latest bat event.

The craziest thing was how it essentially had the same artist for the whole 80 issue run. And that was Jim Balent

So did anyone else read this comic series?
tumblr_m933xpe7bm1qfy531.jpg

Messi

Tales from the long boxes.

I went back and rediscovered comics I've forgotten I owned and read.

In this edition I'll talk to an easy one I do recall getting but never quite sure why. That is of course catwoman volume 1

I got into comics in the early 90s and I started with x-men, image comics, and batman. And when I started they were in the middle of the event Knightfall. And one comic that spun out of knightfall was Catwomans own series. So I bought it from the start. I don't remember too much but I thought it was pretty good. And back then I would ride out lulls in my comic runs since I didn't have too many (oh how the times have changed). Back then I didn't care who were the writers but the issues I dug seemed to be from Dixon (no surprise) and moench and the tie-in issues to the latest bat event.

The craziest thing was how it essentially had the same artist for the whole 80 issue run. And that was Jim Balent

So did anyone else read this comic series?
tumblr_m933xpe7bm1qfy531.jpg

I was only just looking into it a few days ago. Trying to find the best way to read it.

I don't own one single floppy.

That sounds really cool! Thanks for that thorough response! I'll definitely try to read a King book sometime very soon. Would you recommend Pet Sematary to read first? Or a different one? If you'd recommend something different, I would like to read something along the same lines as Pet Sematary, rather than a dark fantasy sort of book which IIRC is something King writes quite a bit of.

I have to be honest man, Pet Sematary is an incredible powerful book and definitely something I would recommend to fans of King's work, but it's maybe not the best place to start, it really is a hard/upsetting read in the middle section. If I was the kind of guy to cry during a book, that would absolutely be where it would happen. It's actual infamous for being the one book he wrote that was so close to the bone he wasn't going to release it, and only did in the end to get out of a book contract after some encouragement from his editor and his wife. It's really intense stuff. I think Misery would be a really good place to start, and to figure out if you dig his stuff. It has a really great premise, it's actually completely bereft of any supernatural or fantasy elements, and uh, yea haha, I don't wanna say too much but it really is horrifying. You will imagine yourself in the lead character's position and shudder more than once. Barring Misery, I think the next one I might go to is Cujo. There is a vague hint or two of supernatural to it, but that's really just from one person's viewpoint and it's nothing tangible. It's really just about a really horrible set of events that occur to a family after a dog catches rabies. Again though, it's all family relationships and real things you can imagine happening to a love done that drive the horror in that one and it's fantastic.

If you end up bowled over by those though, I would whole heartedly recommend just straight up going to the beginning of his career and going through all the big ones or even as Birdie and myself are both in the process of doing, reading all his stuff. Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, It, dude has knocked out so many classics and I've found some of my favourites are just as much the lesser known books. Really like the bachmann books myself, those also tend to be completely void of anything supernatural. The Long Walk is incredible, so is Rage.

With that perhaps I should put away the long paragraphs about novels for a few weeks haha and remember it's comics-gaf, and not King-Gaf (which I would fully support btw).

Also, no floppies for me haha, no place for them here. My boy does have some L'il Gotham & Itty Bitty Hellboy etc that I've bought him though haha.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, bad news. I ended up working longer today than I was scheduled (I can never turn down more hours), so I don't have enough time to finish the second installment of the Rafa webcomic. I do have it all scripted and know exactly what I'm going to draw though. And I finished the first panel. But it won't be done until tomorrow.

Just updating because I know you all were waiting with bated breath.

And not to hype it too much, but to be honest, it's the most important comic of 2014.

I have to be honest man, Pet Sematary is an incredible powerful book and definitely something I would recommend to fans of King's work, but it's maybe not the best place to start, it really is a hard read in the middle section. It's actual infamous for being the one book he wrote that was so close to the bone he wasn't going to release it, and only did in the end to get out of a book contract after some encouragement from his editor and his wife. It's really intense stuff. I think Misery would be a really good place to start, and to figure out if you dig his stuff. It has a really great premise, it's actually completely bereft of any supernatural or fantasy elements, and uh, yea haha, I don't wanna say too much but it really is horrifying. You will imagine yourself in the lead character's position and shudder more than once. Barring Misery, I think the next one I might go to is Cujo. There is a vague hint or two of supernatural to it, but that's really just from one person's viewpoint and it's nothing tangible. It's really just about a really horrible set of events that occur to a family after a dog catches rabies. Again though, it's all family relationships and real things you can imagine happening to a love done that drive the horror in that one and it's fantastic.

If you end up bowled over by those though, I would whole heartedly recommend just straight up going to the beginning of his career and going through all the big ones or even as Birdie and myself are both in the process of doing, reading all his stuff. Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, It, dude has knocked out so many classics and I've found some of my favourites are just as much the lesser known books. Really like the bachmann books myself, those also tend to be completely void of anything supernatural. The Long Walk is incredible, so is Rage.

With that perhaps I should put away the long paragraphs about novels for a few weeks haha and remember it's comics-gaf, and not King-Gaf (which I would fully support btw).

Also, no floppies for me haha, no place for them here. My boy does have some L'il Gotham & Itty Bitty Hellboy etc that I've bought him though haha.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll start Misery on Tuesday since I finally have a day off!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
catching up on mighty avengers 11 and 12.

land is just..... just awful. i dont think there is an artist still in the game that can completely miss facial cues and just have everyone look like robots

that and having lukes dad look 26 going on 45 is fucking horrendous

Owzers

Yes! I finally am caught up on my new issues. I worked off 35 ish issues this weekend.

Now I can finally start rereading comics I've wanted to get too. First up, robin year one! Then Batgirl year one

So when you catalog games and comics and trades you just use google docs? Nothing more elaborate?

O_______O I haven't read a single comic all weekend and i feel bad about it. DCBS just updated their pre-orders for August, can't start my order until i read SOMETHING to get comics in my veins.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Remember last Sunday when I plowed through 3 books? I can barely lift a finger to the TV remote today. I just keep on looking at my shelf and thinking I want to but never do anything.

I feel you, except I've been moseying through the second half of Fear Agent this weekend. Fear Agent is fucking great, but it's even more great to see how much Remender has improved as a writer. Also, Mark Twain should get co-writer credits for Fear Agent.

Owzers

Secret Avengers #5 was wild.

And oh wonderful day, larger than 50% off discounts are back at DCBS? Do my eyes deceive me? Batgirl #35 for $1.04? Axis #1 for $1.74?

Owzers

Aw yiss

Coming up on ordering from dcbs for a year and haven't ever seen discounts like that.

Back in my day they had 75% off discounts on some #1 issues, hyped events, etc. Then the new 52 happened. It was a day of darkness, for the discounts went away and in their place "bundles". Vicious, treacherous bundles set to break a man or woman's back. Buy all 52 books they say, and get 50% off them all. No....this is not how it should be.

Boogiepop

So, just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Since my only experience with the team was the free comic book day comic from this year... what's the recommended run for the team? I actually didn't know that, outside of the classic stuff I'm assuming I can ignore, the modern book doesn't seem to be that old. Note that I'm willing to pick up a decent chunk at once because I'm crazy like that, so I don't just need a "good introduction" to try it out, as long as people on here can recommend it. Just needs to be available and not terribly out of print in trades. I guess if they're doing any reprints as a result of the movie I'm willing to wait as well.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I thought that the Strain pilot was horrible, then I couldn't stop watching and now I'm hooked.

Edit: Messi, the New DC movie pimped out your Harley again.

That movie was fucking hilarious, and shockingly good. Dude, every scene where Harley or Killer Frost used their titties to bamboozle some unsuspecting goon was awkward and hilarious. Also, mad
heads
were blown.

That movie was hella extreme.

And nobody knows how to write Harley Quinn anymore. She's truly been put through the new52 grinder and taken on every negative and stereotypical quality associated with the overall new52.

So, just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Since my only experience with the team was the free comic book day comic from this year... what's the recommended run for the team? I actually didn't know that, outside of the classic stuff I'm assuming I can ignore, the modern book doesn't seem to be that old. Note that I'm willing to pick up a decent chunk at once because I'm crazy like that, so I don't just need a "good introduction" to try it out, as long as people on here can recommend it. Just needs to be available and not terribly out of print in trades. I guess if they're doing any reprints as a result of the movie I'm willing to wait as well.

I posted about it last night

I thought that the Strain pilot was horrible, then I couldn't stop watching and now I'm hooked.

Edit: Messi, the New DC movie pimped out your Harley again.

I enjoyed the pilot for the most part. There was some camp to it but I expected that. Ep. 2 was slow, but since then it's gotten progressively better. Things are really ramping up.

When did that happen? I know it was ages ago.

You mean Galactic vs. Thanos? Didn't it happen in Annihilation? I'm not sure, I haven't read that. I've just been really intrigued by the Cosmic stuff since seeing GOTG. And I mean, Galactus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom