• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Anyone else planning on checking out that new Morrison/Frazier Irving joint that starts next month? I want to say Legendary is publishing it, it's called Annihilators.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Anyone else planning on checking out that new Morrison/Frazier Irving joint that starts next month? I want to say Legendary is publishing it, it's called Annihilators.

Morrison and Frazer Irving do magical things together, so I'm all over that shit.

But what's Legendary?--never heard of that publisher.

Tizoc

Thank you for letting me know of this Morrison book, although Marvel already published a series titled Annihilators, heh.

its like joe the barbarian on steroids. In my veins

It’s a story about a screenwriter named Ray Spass [pronounced 'space'] who’s had some success a few years ago and written a couple of big movies with Tom Cruise and all kinds of stuff, but in the interim, he’s spent all his money on drink and drugs and women, so he’s at kind of a last chance now. He’s been thrown out of his house, and he buys a new house in the Hills which was once owned by a notorious Satanist, and it has a gigantic sinkhole in the garden and that’s why it’s cheap. He’s been given the opportunity to write this tentpole film for a stuido titled Annihilator, a Legendary type movie. Almost immediately, he discovers he’s got a malignant brain tumor and he’s going to die. He’s just written the first couple of scenes. He’s about to commit suicide when the door knocks and basically, his lead character Max Nomax, the ultimate rebel, the ultimate escape artist, the god of bad men is at the door and says ‘you want help? Here’s how I’m going to help you.’ Max explains ‘it’s not what you think. The brain tumor is actually a package of information. It’s my biography and I had to fire it into your head from another universe. I can’t remember who I am now but you must explain it to me, because if you don’t, the universe is doomed in seven days.”

Wow. That’s nuts.

So it’s kind of literalizing the concept of ‘deadline.’ So the two of them go on the run, pursued by not only the cops and forces from our world, but also forces from the higher world, the alternate universe where Nomax comes from, and it starts to get really crazy. The story he’s writing, ‘Annihilator,’ is based on Max Nomax, and he’s been exiled to prison orbiting a black hole in the center of our galaxy. Now black hole in the center of our galaxy actually exists and it’s called The Great Annihilator by astronomers. You can see how it starts to work together. The whole story is about what crime Nomax committed that landed him in prison. Somehow, he’s the ultimate crime, but he doesn’t know what it is yet and he has to learn who he is as Ray writes the story to shrink the tumor in his head.

Nextwave17.jpg

Yes. Give me your hundred.

What!? What happened to all those Nick Spencer comics with all your favorite artists? Did he run out of money or something, brah isn't even doing MG at this point.....

Owzers

Largest dcbs pre-order in months Xo 38 issues, two small trades, and the first statue i've bought in over two years, the most DC books i've bought since the new 52 started.

50% or more off:

Arkham Manor #1, Axis 1 and 2, Batgirl 35, Bucky #1, Cap 25, Gotham Academy #1, Thor #1, Wytches #1, COWL tp vol 1 4.99, Nailbiter vol 1 tp 4.99, Birthright #1 Image Williamson

Regular stuff

Cliff Chiang Wonder Woman Statue 54.37
Batman , Catwoman, Grayson, Justice League 34,35, Multiversity The Just #1, Sandman Overture 4 of 6, Superman 35, Wonder Woman 35 both covers maybe...

Black Science, East of West World one-shot, Invincible, Manhattan Bros, Saga, Walking Dead, Wicked and Divine

Avengers 36,37, Axis 3, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel , New Avengers, Rocket Raccoon, Secret Avengers, She Hulk, Uncanny Avengers

wetflame

Pizza Dog
She Hulk is out this week right? Can't wait for Pulido to come back. I mean, look at this:
gqlv5j5.png

No contest. Anyway, here's my list, looking like a big week for me!

COMMEMORATIVE FINAL ISSUE TOP OF THE LIST SEND-OFF
Moon Knight #6

Couldn't decide on three so there's five books of the week:
Black Widow #9
The Punisher #9
She-Hulk #7
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #14
Superior Spider-Man #32

Also picking up:
Bunker #5
Detective Comics #34
Legendary Star Lord #2
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #4
Rocket Raccoon #2
Spread #2
Suicide Risk #16

I remember someone in last month's thread mentioning this so I might check it out:
Nightworld #1

Digital comics are both the best thing and the worst thing to happen to me, so much space freed on shelves, so easy to catch up on books I've not been reading, but then it's equally easy to rack up big pulls. I convince myself I'm not overspending by looking at how much you guys are spending on statues, ha.

woodypop

That Dark Knight Returns panel is one of my least favorite panels of all time.
Howcome?

I think it's a rather striking (no pun intended) panel. From the nuclear missile detonating, to Superman's absorption of the vegetation's energy, that's one of my favorite sequences, especially with Superman's internal monologue.

Messi

Ah I see another one got interested in watching Predator.

image.php

Hey Messi, read Ava's Demon already, the art is fantabulous
http://www.avasdemon.com/pages.php?page=0001

I don't believe she is dressed sluttily there. Plus it's not about the clothes it's about how they have she'd acting in Suicide Squad. I was sad Jimmy and Amanda decided to go that route in the comic con issue.

What is Ava's demon?

You should have come here with an extra empty suitcase.

*damnnnn I go away for a weekend, with no computer access and I'm 7 pages behind already. I'm fucked next week when I'm gone for an entire week. I will feel ok only because I'll be floating in beautiful water that entire time.

I did come with an empty suitcase. It's full now. I've been here for a month yo.

I think I should just make a txt file that I can copy and paste whenever people ask where to start with Guardians of the Galaxy comics lol

This happens after every comic movie-- I love that they get people interested in actually reading these books. Even if it is just one particular series at a time, it's nice to see some interest.

ReAxion

Long live Superior!

ALEX + ADA #8
NAILBITER #4

Marvel
BLACK WIDOW #9
MILES MORALES ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #4
MOON KNIGHT #6 (goodbye my love)
ORIGINAL SIN #5.3 (apparently I missed 5.2? oops)
SHE-HULK #7
SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #14
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #32 EOSV

Oni Press
BUNKER #5

Maybe
LEGENDARY STAR LORD #2
ROCKET RACCOON #2

kd-z

Guys, I can buy one (1) Morrison comic this month and I don't know whether it should be We3 or Flex Mentallo.

halp!

Lombaszko

We3 is only three issues, the Flex trade contains something like four issues.
More Morrison & Quitely = better value?

Plus, Flex is amazing and might be my favorite thing he's ever written but We3 is more accessible. Either way, you can't go wrong!

We3 is only three issues, the Flex trade contains something like four issues.
More Morrison & Quitely = better value?

Plus, Flex is amazing and might be my favorite thing he's ever written but We3 is more accessible. Either way, you can't go wrong!

I liked Flex Mentallo, but it's more or less typical Morrison weird, which I usually hate. But it worked pretty well here. We3 is far superior IMO, though.

Tizoc

Lately I don't need a short description of what Morrison's book is about, I just dive in.
It's Grant Morrison I'm in for a fuck awesome ride, that's all I need to know.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guys, I can buy one (1) Morrison comic this month and I don't know whether it should be We3 or Flex Mentallo.

halp!

If you've read any combination of The Invisibles, The Filth, and Doom Patrol, then definitely Flex Mentallo.

If not, then you should read We3, and then dive into Morrison's other work.

Tizoc

Main reason I don't feel like re-reading X-Statix is because the feels are too strong...too strong...

One of them will have Frank Quitely on it. That hasn't happen since, shit...2009? For fuck's sake Millar

When's the next Jupiter issue coming out again?

tim1138

One of them will have Frank Quitely on it. That hasn't happen since, shit...2009? For fuck's sake Millar

Between the two books you'll get collaborations with Quitely, Irving, Sprouse, and Cameron Stewart. All that's missing is Burnham and that'll happen whenever Nameless eventually launches.

kd-z

If you've read any combination of The Invisibles, The Filth, and Doom Patrol, then definitely Flex Mentallo.

If not, then you should read We3, and then dive into Morrison's other work.

WE3 is wildly more accessible. Its probably the #1 "gateway" comic, if you're not adverse to ultraviolence/animal abuse.
I've read New X-Men, Batman RIP, All-Star and Final Crisis, so I'm not sure if I need something accessible. But you(all of you) are right, I think I'll go with We3. I need some feels.
Thanks to everyone who answered!

Shin, I'd like to believe you're my long lost brother separated at birth. It's the only explanation.

Batman Beyond 2.0: Mark of the Phantasm has been excellent so far. We're finally learning about the schism that broke the Terry/Bruce partnership and it's a doozy. There are two artists on the book but they separate them into past and present. The past stuff is very TAS Batman: The Barbara in particular is strikingly good.

It makes sense. I'm in full support of this.

GAHHH I can't wait to read BB2.0 this week (behind from being away) I love where it's going. Maybe tonight, although we have so much shit to do around the apartment so who knows. So far I've read Sinestro, Harley Quinn, Batman Eternal, and the Aquaman annual, which were all great. Still have Red Lanterns Annual, Detective Comics Annual, Future's End, BB2.0 and the Cartoon Network Super Secret War.

I did come with an empty suitcase. It's full now. I've been here for a month yo.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Good man.

Question for those of you who have seen GoTG and read any of the comics. Was Gamora in the movie anywhere near how she acts/handles herself in the comics? Didn't seem to be the person I imagined albeit, I haven't read any GotG comics, just read stuff on wiki and read comics vicariously through comic GAF spoilers, and impressions. Did you guys think it was a good interpretation or felt a little off? Or should I drudge the movie thread for more insight?

Question for those of you who have seen GoTG and read any of the comics. Was Gamora in the movie anywhere near how she acts/handles herself in the comics? Didn't seem to be the person I imagined albeit, I haven't read any GotG comics, just read stuff on wiki and read comics vicariously through comic GAF spoilers, and impressions. Did you guys think it was a good interpretation or felt a little off? Or should I drudge the movie thread for more insight?

I definitely felt like she was the weakest link in the movie, probably because she was the closest to a "normal" character. Which doesn't jibe with her comic counterpart, where she's the Deadliest Woman in the Universe and is generally a little cold and gruff. Drax is also very different in the movie vs the comic, in terms of powers, history, and personality. But Bautista nailed it and the movie version is infinitely more entertaining than the comic version.

MCU Gamora is clearly meant to be a former villain seeking redemption, but the script doesn't do a very good job of selling us on the notion that she needs redemption for anything.

I definitely felt like she was the weakest link in the movie, probably because she was the closest to a "normal" character. Which doesn't jibe with her comic counterpart, where she's the Deadliest Woman in the Universe and is generally a little cold and gruff.

She's the kind of woman who has sex with Tony Stark, and then leaves the room unimpressed.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I want to buy something. Any suggestions?

This is such a good opportunity to recommend something I love that nobody would usually actually buy... and I can't even come up with something.

I do think this arc of Busiek's Conan is super good though, if a Conan story sounds interesting to you.

Hmm. Also, have you read Fear Agent, The Black Beetle, X-Statix, Preacher, Daytripper, and Hellboy? I feel like you've probably got those covered since they're fairly popular, but all of those are excellent if there's one of those you haven't read.

But most importantly, why are you buying more books when you still have the two Sandman omnibuses among probably tons of other unread books!?
Just kidding. I totally know the feeling.

I tweeted at Cheapgrapicnovels.com yesterday asking when they would get Deadpool Marvel Now Vol. 3 back in stock. They didn't have any and IST did not have any, either.

CGN tweeted back saying that Vol. 3 is no longer in print. Seems like of a short run, no? Only came out in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom