• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh awesome. It looks like once the two Complete Collections are out they should cover the whole (modern) run, discounting the recent Bendis run that apparently sucks and I should probably just ignore? Anything else that comes highly recommended regarding the team, or I guess vaguely related cosmic stuff that'd make for a good pick up?

The Bendis run isn't bad, it has its fans, but I'm not a fan of it. It's worth trying out at least.

After the Abnett and Lanning series, read The Thanos Imperative. If you want more, check out the Cosmic events that take place before Guardians like Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest.

Oh awesome. It looks like once the two Complete Collections are out they should cover the whole (modern) run, discounting the recent Bendis run that apparently sucks and I should probably just ignore? Anything else that comes highly recommended regarding the team, or I guess vaguely related cosmic stuff that'd make for a good pick up?

I've been enjoying the Bendis run on Guardians. Check it out and see if you like it. The Trial of Jean Grey crossover with All-New X-Men was especially good.

In other news, I just started reading Seven Soldiers of Victory. So good. Very much amaze.

Owzers

C.O.W.L. vol 1 is on special for 4.99 at dcbs which made me read #1 on my ipad while i wasn't in the bathroom. I didn't think it was a clear hit but i enjoyed it. The "smoking is cool because it's the 60s " or whatever was lame, but it was still a decent book. For a first issue though, i don't think Higgins sold it as an ongoing, there wasn't much there to really grasp onto. How did issue two compare?

woodypop

Has this been posted yet?

7C767FFC-7046-4360-9FB4-C19E8C097D45_zpszotu8uje.jpg

Interesting nod to The Dark Knight Returns in New Avengers #21.

Heh marvel always seems to enjoy referencing DC characters or doing character or event homages in their stuff. I rarely see DC do the same.

Edit: aw the marvel Monday sale on comixology is Thanos. Which I already have what I want there from previous sales (the infinity minis). I guess it's a good thing considering all the impulse buys I made this weekend.

Messi

I thought that the Strain pilot was horrible, then I couldn't stop watching and now I'm hooked.

Edit: Messi, the New DC movie pimped out your Harley again.

I'm not sure if you mean this as a positive or a negative.

That movie was fucking hilarious, and shockingly good. Dude, every scene where Harley or Killer Frost used their titties to bamboozle some unsuspecting goon was awkward and hilarious. Also, mad
heads
were blown.

That movie was hella extreme.

And nobody knows how to write Harley Quinn anymore. She's truly been put through the new52 grinder and taken on every negative and stereotypical quality associated with the overall new52.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. The rest I will agree with. Suicide Squad Harley is a complete joke.

I'm not sure if you mean this as a positive or a negative.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. The rest I will agree with. Suicide Squad Harley is a complete joke.

You see the design for Harley in Assault on Arkham? I think it's actually pretty good for a "edgy combat Harley" type look that they tried for in the New 52

Messi

You see the design for Harley in Assault on Arkham? I think it's actually pretty good for a "edgy combat Harley" type look that they tried for in the New 52

I really dislike combat Harley. It's symbolises everything they did wrong with Harley in the reboot. I love her new Power Girl costume even if it's only for one issue.

bc35c6b9dd2b4d08ede071b20435c257.jpg

Innocent and gullible Harley is my favourite Harley.

Cheska

Is the edition size important to you?

If I'm spending that much money, then absolutely. All of my current pre-orders are all the exclusive editions. Out of the three that I currently own, only Nathan Drake is the exclusive. Black Widow and Harley are regular editions, but I bought them for far below MSRP, so it was well worth it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bendis likes the character of J'Son. No real explanation why the other characters aren't in. Maybe to better match the movie line-up. As for the Black Bolt stuff and Kree changes, this was covered in Hickman's FF run.

Whoa, I really liked Dr. Strange: The Oath. Was my first Dr. Strange comic. What can I read next?

I don't think any of that has been explained. (Maybe Black Bolt, but I doubt the rest have).

Welcome to the Bendis run. Mantis does appear in an early issue at least.

I remember in 14 the team was on Knowhere and it was like a planet instead of a space station looking place lol
first of all, thanks.

Wow this is bullshit. I hope Bendis won't be too long on the series. Any chance of Abnett and Lanning coming back? :(

first of all, thanks.

Wow this is bullshit. I hope Bendis won't be too long on the series. Any chance of Abnett and Lanning coming back? :(

I wouldn't expect Bendis off the book anytime soon

Abnett and Lanning unfortunately do not work together anymore. But each of them did a back-up story in issue 14 of the current run. Abnett recently wrote a Rocket Raccoon & Groot novel and he's going to be the writer for Guardians of the Galaxy 3000 this fall. Lanning wrote the Marvel 100th Anniversary issue for Guardians of the Galaxy.

IHaveIce

Banned
I wouldn't expect Bendis off the book anytime soon

Abnett and Lanning unfortunately do not work together anymore. But each of them did a back-up story in issue 14 of the current run. Abnett recently wrote a Rocket Raccoon & Groot novel and he's going to be the writer for Guardians of the Galaxy 3000 this fall. Lanning wrote the Marvel 100th Anniversary issue for Guardians of the Galaxy.
Oh do they have personal issues with each other?
Good to hear that they at least work on something concerning these characters.

But I don't know what GotG 3000 is going to be

Oh do they have personal issues with each other?
Good to hear that they at least work on something concerning these characters.

But I don't know what GotG 3000 is going to be

No idea. Everyone just assumes they had some kind of falling out.
Guardians of the Galaxy 3000 is going to be focused on Major Victory's team in the 31st century. The back-up that Abnett did in GOTG 14 focused on them and I have pretty high hopes for the series this fall.

I went ahead and purchased Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, and Infinity War. I already had the first issue of each from when Marvel was giving away the #1 issues a while back. Past me stays lookin out for future me! Saved me about three bucks tonight.

PsychBat!

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy 3000 is going to be focused on Major Victory's team in the 31st century. The back-up that Abnett did in GOTG 14 focused on them and I have pretty high hopes for the series this fall.

I went ahead and purchased Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, and Infinity War. I already had the first issue of each from when Marvel was giving away the #1 issues a while back. Past me stays lookin out for future me! Saved me about three bucks tonight.
Yikes, Infinity War? Try to have fun, at least.

Guardians 3000 is gonna rock. Earth will overcome.

IHaveIce

Banned

Oh wow didn't make the connection to the future team, now I'm hyped. Pretty sure that will be great.

Aw man I also should read Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet

Trees is just a snapshot into the human condition. That even in the presence of gods, we would not be able to comprehend it and go on with our daily lies.....

ThyList:
DC COMICS:
ACTION COMICS #34 (Superman: Doomed)
ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #3
BATMAN '66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET #3
BATMAN ETERNAL #18
DETECTIVE COMICS #34
GREEN ARROW #34
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1

IMAGE:
NAILBITER #4

MARVEL:
BLACK WIDOW #9
MOON KNIGHT #6
PUNISHER #9
ROCKET RACCOON #2
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #32

I'm surprised I haven't heard much talk about Superior Spider-man #32

-

*Does anyone have a Moon Knight #5 code I could have? or trade for.
Just realizing I spaced grabbing it when it came out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Omggg. I was already interested in the witcher comic since Tobin got great reviews for Colder (which I have down to check out at some point). This cover for the trade though, it's a lock:

So great.
Also, something I just noticed: I love how Mignola's artwork is so distinct and recognizable that his signature can just be "M."

Well we just found Kipps next Rafa comic.

Hmm. Write up the script for it and send it to me. Haha

7C767FFC-7046-4360-9FB4-C19E8C097D45_zpszotu8uje.jpg

Good catch!
Seeing that reminded me how much I love Miller's artwork. And how much I need to reread DKR.

Bendis will definitely be writing GotG for the next several years. He will wake up this morning and pat his back for the movie's success.

I'm already carrying home 36 books a laptop and a ps3 or I'd consider it. Have you seen the size of the box?

You should have come here with an extra empty suitcase.

*damnnnn I go away for a weekend, with no computer access and I'm 7 pages behind already. I'm fucked next week when I'm gone for an entire week. I will feel ok only because I'll be floating in beautiful water that entire time.

7 pages of 100 ppp worth of being behind list

Action Comics
Action Comics Annual
Aquaman And The Others
Batman Eternal
Detective Comics
Earth 2
Grayson
Green Lantern
Justice League 3000
New 52 Futures End
Superman Wonder Woman Annual
Swamp Thing
Trinity Of Sin The Phantom Stranger

Shin, I'd like to believe you're my long lost brother separated at birth. It's the only explanation.

Batman Beyond 2.0: Mark of the Phantasm has been excellent so far. We're finally learning about the schism that broke the Terry/Bruce partnership and it's a doozy. There are two artists on the book but they separate them into past and present. The past stuff is very TAS Batman: The Barbara in particular is strikingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom