• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Avoid the weekend box office thread in the OT unless you want to see a spoilery GOTG gif.

Luckily for me i know a bit about the guardians soooooo it wasn't a surprise, but still! Haven't seen the movie yet Xo

As a comics reader, I didn't think that was a spoiler. Of course, it's different when you don't know the source material. Just like in the second movie of Captain America, a lot of my friends didn't know
The Winter Soldier was Bucky
. They were extremely surprised.

-

Daredevil: End of Days TPB

1GxStgj.jpg

I took a chance with buying from a third-party seller on Amazon. They had over 12,000 positive feedback with a rating of 4.9 stars (out of 5) over the past year. The hardcover book was advertised as "Like New" being unread and only has a publisher's mark to indicate that it's an overstock book. $14 after shipping for the hardcover sounds like a good deal. Well, it was too good to be true. The book arrived with dents/creases/bent corners and the slipcover was basically mangled. I tried to straighten it out as best as I can but I can only do so much. So I gave them a so-so rating (2 of 5) noting the book's condition but the shipping speed and the actual packaging itself was good. Not surprisingly, one of the customer service reps contacted me via e-mail if I would like a new book sent out or would rather have 50% of my payment refunded. I opted for none and expressed my strife with the condition of the book and summarized by telling them they should improve their descriptions of the items they're selling so other customers do not have to deal with what I did. It's safe to say I won't be buying anything from that seller in the future.

Anyway, onto the book. If you like seeing Daredevil being bloodily pummeled at each and every page, this one's for you! Ben Ulrich is an investigative journalist who is tasked with covering the life and death of Daredevil after he was brutally killed. Before the finishing blow was dealt, Matt uttered one last word before his death, "Mapone". Now Ben sets out to discover the meaning behind Matt's last word. The story's very grim and dark, and I'm not used to reading Daredevil like this after having started on Waid's run. There's a lot of guest appearances from Daredevil's past, including past lovers, teammates, and acquaintences. I don't know what it is but I figured out what that last word was before I was even halfway through the book. There were a few hints here and there and it wasn't too difficult to figure out once you piece it together. End of Days is worth a read and I will probably revisit it again a few months from now.

Welp I just ordered the Sideshow Darth Vader Deluxe Figurine. I debated the larger and $100 one but this fits better with my other statues and since this is an impulse buy lets not go too over board. ;) Plus it looks like i can do more poses

Will take photos when it arrives along with my statue/figurine room in my house

Bii

Welp I just ordered the Sideshow Darth Vader Deluxe Figurine. I debated the larger and $100 one but this fits better with my other statues and since this is an impulse buy lets not go too over board. ;) Plus it looks like i can do more poses

Will take photos when it arrives along with my statue/figurine room in my house

You bought it directly from Sideshow? Darn, I think I had a $25 gift card you could have used. Got the card from SDCC.

Has anyone read Marshal Law; it's an older one. Art by Kevin O'Neill (really into his style after getting the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and written by Pat Mills. Going to pick up all the back-issues on Midtown if it's worth it?

Messi

I just drank a Monster energy drink for the first time this holiday and it is after making absolute shit of me. Christ I can't stop my hands shaking. It should be noted that before I came out here I had be incredibly addicted to Monster, 1 or 2 daily for the past two years. Complete dependancy on them, I had been unable to function without having one in the morning. But I managed to get off them here. This is not a good feeling. I feel dreadful. Guys I fucked up :(

I just drank a Monster energy drink for the first time this holiday and it is after making absolute shit of me. Christ I can't stop my hands shaking. It should be noted that before I came out here I had be incredibly addicted to Monster, 1 or 2 daily for the past two years. Complete dependancy on them, I had been unable to function without having one in the morning. But I managed to get off them here. This is not a good feeling. I feel dreadful. Guys I fucked up :(

Drink another. It'll level you out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As a comics reader, I didn't think that was a spoiler. Of course, it's different when you don't know the source material. Just like in the second movie of Captain America, a lot of my friends didn't know
The Winter Soldier was Bucky
. They were extremely surprised.

-

Daredevil: End of Days TPB

I took a chance with buying from a third-party seller on Amazon. They had over 12,000 positive feedback with a rating of 4.9 stars (out of 5) over the past year. The hardcover book was advertised as "Like New" being unread and only has a publisher's mark to indicate that it's an overstock book. $14 after shipping for the hardcover sounds like a good deal. Well, it was too good to be true. The book arrived with dents/creases/bent corners and the slipcover was basically mangled. I tried to straighten it out as best as I can but I can only do so much. So I gave them a so-so rating (2 of 5) noting the book's condition but the shipping speed and the actual packaging itself was good. Not surprisingly, one of the customer service reps contacted me via e-mail if I would like a new book sent out or would rather have 50% of my payment refunded. I opted for none and expressed my strife with the condition of the book and summarized by telling them they should improve their descriptions of the items they're selling so other customers do not have to deal with what I did. It's safe to say I won't be buying anything from that seller in the future.

Anyway, onto the book. If you like seeing Daredevil being bloodily pummeled at each and every page, this one's for you! Ben Ulrich is an investigative journalist who is tasked with covering the life and death of Daredevil after he was brutally killed. Before the finishing blow was dealt, Matt uttered one last word before his death, "Mapone". Now Ben sets out to discover the meaning behind Matt's last word. The story's very grim and dark, and I'm not used to reading Daredevil like this after having started on Waid's run. There's a lot of guest appearances from Daredevil's past, including past lovers, teammates, and acquaintences. I don't know what it is but I figured out what that last word was before I was even halfway through the book. There were a few hints here and there and it wasn't too difficult to figure out once you piece it together. End of Days is worth a read and I will probably revisit it again a few months from now.

End of Days was amazing, loved this series and really made me interested in Bendis Daredevil Run.

Messi

Teeth Chattering List of HOLY FUCK WHAT AM I DOING

Batman Eternal #18
Detective Comics #34
Black Widow #9
Legendary Star Lord #2
Ultimate Spider-man #4
Punisher #9
Rocket Raccoon #2
She Hulk #7

Dropping Superman Doomed as it is too expensive weekly with little return. I will pick up Superman/Wonder Woman once that is over

Ultimate Spidey is on its last legs with me. Nothing is happening. I love Miles but this wont do.

You bought it directly from Sideshow? Darn, I think I had a $25 gift card you could have used. Got the card from SDCC.
Yea I did. Hah I wish I knew about that card a couple of hours ago. Oh well. I used reward points that knocked $11 off. Thanks for the offer though.

Alright I have made a decision! Now I'm not an organized man and a couple of years ago I made the switch to digital as a means of removing the clutter of buying floppies since 93 has caused. Now I have around 32 long boxes of comics and only about maybe half are organized, boarded and bagged. And these boxes since I moved are all stacked in the garage where I can't find anything. But I spent some time perusing a couple boxes and the items that wore organized it was great seeing the whole chuck Dixon run of robin, or reviewing all the shitty 90s image books I bought and thought were good back then.

So I'm not sure when (maybe a Sunday project during football) or how but now the 20+ per week flow of floppies has stopped I plan on finally once and for all bagging and organizing my comics. Even though many are probably missing since I'd sometime lose interest in some, or there's big creases in others after 10+ years in the wild, or the dog chewed some. I think it'll be with it to finally go and sort and find many many comics I own that are not likely to be traded up, or rereleased digitally.

Oh man it's going to take a while though. Any recommendations of where I can get bag/boards in bulk for super cheap?

Zombine

Banned
Bags and boards are universally expensive as hell. Blame that on them falling under "utilities."

Why discount something that many people "need."

Damn, sad to see hear it's gone downhill. I was trade-waiting, haven't read any Miles since the 200th issue.

On a GOTG note, I think I'm going to need to buy this.

I like that Kotobukiya statue, but there's something weird about the scale.

Bags and boards are universally expensive as hell. Blame that on them falling under "utilities."

Why discount something that many people "need."

I don't even keep a stock of them. I just buy them weekly with my books. My LCS gives bags away free with each book, and boards are 10 cents each.

Bii

Yea I did. Hah I wish I knew about that card a couple of hours ago. Oh well. I used reward points that knocked $11 off. Thanks for the offer though.

Alright I have made a decision! Now I'm not an organized man and a couple of years ago I made the switch to digital as a means of removing the clutter of buying floppies since 93 has caused. Now I have around 32 long boxes of comics and only about maybe half are organized, boarded and bagged. And these boxes since I moved are all stacked in the garage where I can't find anything. But I spent some time perusing a couple boxes and the items that wore organized it was great seeing the whole chuck Dixon run of robin, or reviewing all the shitty 90s image books I bought and thought were good back then.

So I'm not sure when (maybe a Sunday project during football) or how but now the 20+ per week flow of floppies has stopped I plan on finally once and for all bagging and organizing my comics. Even though many are probably missing since I'd sometime lose interest in some, or there's big creases in others after 10+ years in the wild, or the dog chewed some. I think it'll be with it to finally go and sort and find many many comics I own that are not likely to be traded up, or rereleased digitally.

Oh man it's going to take a while though. Any recommendations of where I can get bag/boards in bulk for super cheap?

Bulk? I don't know. I usually just buy bags/boards from Amazon (usually around $20 for 100 of each) or if I'm ordering from Midtown, I throw it in there with my order (again, around $20 for 100 each).

That reminds me, I need to get a new short box. The ones I'm using for everything not Marvel is starting to fill up. I guess I'll pick one up the next time I'm at my LCS. I'm not a fan of the long boxes; they take up much more room and it's easier for me to store the short boxes since they're not as long. Then again, my floppies' collection isn't massive.

Zombine

Banned
I'm curious to find out how often people actually go through their short/long boxes. I'm no lazy bastard, but fuck I cannot be arsed to rifle through the shit I pack away.

Or....Or...hear me out...he is not spending enough on comics.

Why? Because he still has money left?

I'm curious to find out how often people actually go through their short/long boxes. I'm no lazy bastard, but fuck I cannot be arsed to rifle through the shit I pack away.

"Go through" meaning to get rid of old stuff, or just to sort the weekly books into the boxes?

The former, I do whenever I start running low on space for new stuff. The latter, usually every couple weeks.

I sort my comics and put Wednesdays haul away a few days after reading them. I'm anal and hate them laying around the house.

I would drive you guys nuts, I leave most of my floppies in piles around my room. I'm still relatively new to buying individual issues consistently, so I don't have a crazy amount yet.

I would drive you guys nuts, I leave most of my floppies in piles around my room. I'm still relatively new to buying individual issues consistently, so I don't have a crazy amount yet.
I also leave em in piles. I also have a longbox, but it's almost full. There are several floppies in the box that aren't bagged & boarded, too

I have neatly organized long boxes in the closet (8 in total) and about 6 months worth of 40+ monthly hauls of books sitting, bagged and boarded, waiting for me to be bored enough to put them away.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't own one single floppy.

Definitely man, horror imo is one of the most compelling genres when done right, because it's basically character drama that makes you feel something you don't in day to day life.

A good example is Pet Sematary which I just got round to reading. . .

That sounds really cool! Thanks for that thorough response! I'll definitely try to read a King book sometime very soon. Would you recommend Pet Sematary to read first? Or a different one? If you'd recommend something different, I would like to read something along the same lines as Pet Sematary, rather than a dark fantasy sort of book which IIRC is something King writes quite a bit of.

Owzers

six short boxes in my closet full of minis, #1s of newer stuff that i tried from Image, and short runs of stuff that i've mainly re-bought in omnibus or OHC format or am waiting to rebuy. I sell most monthlies that i buy six issues at a time.

That run with Maleev is about a hundred times better than End of Days.

Born Again > Year One.

DD 226 is p much the best first issue in a storyline

The one thing I'm always sketchy on with Born Again is how there's all this Captain America stuff at the end intruding on Murdock's story. And not everything gets resolved, like the Foggy/Matt relationship, but ya know...its brilliant.

The first issue in particular is a curious beast. In its opening 8 pages, there are 8 moments/incidents which make it hard for me to put the collected edition aside without reading it through properly. A daisy-chain of narrative snares that lock-step in which each other, from Karen Page's appearance to her selling DD's secret identity and so on and so forth, Miller's prose in his peak year of '86 in perfect form, Mazzucchelli's sumptuous artwork combined with Scheele's expressive colors...its a rich, fast-moving, visually compelling, immediately emotionally involving comic. The kind of thing you hope for every time you slap down $3-4 bucks for these 20 page floppy mothafuckas. No rush through an opening and empty spectacle, no "ehh you know this is a little slow chapter but I'm sure Snyder is going somewhere with this!" rationalization needed. Its as good a monthly issue as you can possibly hope for.

A few weeks ago I took to Google Drive and compiled an easy to read inventory that I can consult when out at shops. I update it every time I get a new issue/trade/etc. I have them noted as digital where applicable, if they're a graphic novel(or collection), and the publisher. I have a few variants so I have a small column for that. My second tab is series I'm interested in. I have the release date of the first issue in the series, what the latest issue was, any notes about trades that may be available, etc...

I bought some storage bins that fits what I have quite well, don't have any actual long comic boxes, but I'm considering it. I actually wish there was something nicer out there. But yea, since doing inventory it's been much easier to visit shops. I'm currently sitting at 584 individual issues and/or trades. That's a lot to me, and most of it was acquired in the last few years, with the majority in the past few months.

I've been spending like 15-30 a week on comics at this point so I too may have to intervene soon and cut back. I need to first tackle everything I have. It's like Steam all over again!

Wow now my disorganized mess seems even more highlighted by your accounts. Filing and organizing Is something I have done well with games and trades but with the amount of singles I was buying and the fact the LCS didn't provide complimentary bags/boards it just grew and grew. So by my rough calculation I have over 8000 comics and half need boards/bags. I'm not sure how I'll get everything sorted. I need to buy metal shelves for the garage. That way the 32 long boxes can be stacked better.

Messi

A few weeks ago I took to Google Drive and compiled an easy to read inventory that I can consult when out at shops. I update it every time I get a new issue/trade/etc. I have them noted as digital where applicable, if they're a graphic novel(or collection), and the publisher. I have a few variants so I have a small column for that. My second tab is series I'm interested in. I have the release date of the first issue in the series, what the latest issue was, any notes about trades that may be available, etc...

I bought some storage bins that fits what I have quite well, don't have any actual long comic boxes, but I'm considering it. I actually wish there was something nicer out there. But yea, since doing inventory it's been much easier to visit shops. I'm currently sitting at 584 individual issues and/or trades. That's a lot to me, and most of it was acquired in the last few years, with the majority in the past few months.

I've been spending like 15-30 a week on comics at this point so I too may have to intervene soon and cut back. I need to first tackle everything I have. It's like Steam all over again!

Those were the days :p

You make me want to go and catalog all of my comics/trades. I've done it for my video games (not for digital content) and my Blu-Rays. Though I'd have to dedicate an afternoon to do it all.

That's exactly what happened to me; I recently went home to visit my parents and bought like $100 bucks worth of back issues and trades that were discounted heavily at my local shop and I decided to sit down and sort. Sorting ended up with me organizing and cataloging everything because I recalled being frustrated that I didn't have a better idea what I had bought. See, the last few years of visiting my folks I've been going to a local shop; the guy always has a huge amount of back issues discounted; he even has a little section of collected single issues for dirt ass cheap (I got Kabuki Classics for $4). So every time I'd go in there (which was yearly) I'd forget my current inventory. So this last time when I got back it ended up with me spending 10 hours just going through everything. I even found a bunch of old ass comics I had lying around since the early 90s. Shit like X-Force #1, or old Ghost Rider. It was liberating because now I have a clear idea of everything I have. And it reads like a breeze on my phone. I'd suggest doing it if you can sacrifice one day to do so and you're like me.

tl;dr - organizing and taking inventory just needed to be done to get me on the right path.
Those were the days :p

Haha I'm sure; every day I find new stuff I want to try out; old and new. But it's really amazing to have this thread to guide me honestly. Still, I think my wife is starting to get annoyed, ever so slightly. *Package on the doorstep* "More comics?!"

I just can't stop now!

Messi

That's exactly what happened to me; I recently went home to visit my parents and bought like $100 bucks worth of back issues and trades that were discounted heavily at my local shop and I decided to sit down and sort. Sorting ended up with me organizing and cataloging everything because I recalled being frustrated that I didn't have a better idea what I had bought. See, the last few years of visiting my folks I've been going to a local shop; the guy always has a huge amount of back issues discounted; he even has a little section of collected single issues for dirt ass cheap (I got Kabuki Classics for $4). So every time I'd go in there (which was yearly) I'd forget my current inventory. So this last time when I got back it ended up with me spending 10 hours just going through everything. I even found a bunch of old ass comics I had lying around since the early 90s. Shit like X-Force #1, or old Ghost Rider. It was liberating because now I have a clear idea of everything I have. And it reads like a breeze on my phone. I'd suggest doing it if you can sacrifice one day to do so and you're like me.

tl;dr - organizing and taking inventory just needed to be done to get me on the right path.

Haha I'm sure; every day I find new stuff I want to try out; old and new. But it's really amazing to have this thread to guide me honestly. Still, I think my wife is starting to get annoyed, ever so slightly. *Package on the doorstep* "More comics?!"

I just can't stop now!

This place is a wonderful terrible influence. I am still discovering new stuff every day. I don't think that goes away. Just look at Korupts development over the past year. Its been amazing to watch. Dude just LOVES Batman.

Yes! I finally am caught up on my new issues. I worked off 35 ish issues this weekend.

Now I can finally start rereading comics I've wanted to get too. First up, robin year one! Then Batgirl year one

So when you catalog games and comics and trades you just use google docs? Nothing more elaborate?

This place is a wonderful terrible influence. I am still discovering new stuff every day. I don't think that goes away. Just look at Korupts development over the past year. Its been amazing to watch. Dude just LOVES Batman.

Yea I can tell; he finishes shit at an insane rate. I'm actually going through my last order today and it feels good. Trying to fix the tendency to let things just pile up.

Also, consider me surprised as hell to learn that the 1990's Flash TV series was nominated for two primetime Emmy's...Huh. Not sure what made me look it up but it was nagging me since I read the news of the CW series.

frye

The one thing I'm always sketchy on with Born Again is how there's all this Captain America stuff at the end intruding on Murdock's story. And not everything gets resolved, like the Foggy/Matt relationship, but ya know...its brilliant.

The first issue in particular is a curious beast. In its opening 8 pages, there are 8 moments/incidents which make it hard for me to put the collected edition aside without reading it through properly. A daisy-chain of narrative snares that lock-step in which each other, from Karen Page's appearance to her selling DD's secret identity and so on and so forth, Miller's prose in his peak year of '86 in perfect form, Mazzucchelli's sumptuous artwork combined with Scheele's expressive colors...its a rich, fast-moving, visually compelling, immediately emotionally involving comic. The kind of thing you hope for every time you slap down $3-4 bucks for these 20 page floppy mothafuckas. No rush through an opening and empty spectacle, no "ehh you know this is a little slow chapter but I'm sure Snyder is going somewhere with this!" rationalization needed. Its as good a monthly issue as you can possibly hope for.

Yeah, I think the stuff with Nuke/Cap is kinda a weird turn too but it makes sense for me as this kind of momentary return of Matt Murdock As Superhero (which by the end of the book -- he's not, he's not anything but a regular Bob). The crisis is over: it's time to try and save the day again.

Along with Foggy there's also Gloria and Kingpin and Cap (and of course my man Turk) who all could've been followed up on but there's a finality to Born Again as a story for me where it ends with Matt stripped of nearly everything but still finding peace. On some level, none of the other stuff matters y'know? Mazz's work isn't as sharp as it is on Year One the year after and the colouring isn't as good as what Richmond Lewis would've done but the whole thing just fucking clicks regardless.

Yes! I finally am caught up on my new issues. I worked off 35 ish issues this weekend.

Now I can finally start rereading comics I've wanted to get too. First up, robin year one! Then Batgirl year one

So when you catalog games and comics and trades you just use google docs? Nothing more elaborate?

I use Google Docs/Sheets; it's basically a spreadsheet. You can also use Excel/OpenOffice and import the file into Google Docs.

When I'm browsing ebay for Legion lots I try to remember and hope I don't have it before I bid? And then I get sad when it's got a bunch of duplicates?

I really should be more precise about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom