• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

If they cancel Elektra, then my biggest fear is that Secret Avengers will be next. And that ladies and gentlemen, will be absolutely devastating :(

Ales Kot has been killing it on that book, and I seriously can't wrap my head while more people aren't reading it. It's fun, the art is amazing, and it has some genuinely great characters.

20140410-115157.jpg

ReAxion

That's a shame about Electra. :(

Black Science #8 was really, really good. Maybe my favorite of the series.

Haven't read much else from yesterday other than Saga; which of course, is great.

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Marvel has canceled Elektra, and the team of Blackman/Del Mundo will be moving to another Marvel project.

I blame you.

No shit.. I've been getting this book.
Next issue, #6 is suppose to start a new story arc. When is it being canceled?

Wut. Bloody Lips was fucking awesome, and this comic was damn good.

Well shit I thought his name was Cape Crow lol
But yes Bloody Lips was bad ass. I started looking forward to each Elektra issue even because for Bloody Lips

Ultima_5

Are there Comic Podcasts, which dont talk about the newest news and current Issues, and rather talk about classic Story Arcs, Specials about famous artists and writers and things like this? You guys know, I read comics mostly in Tradepaperbackform, so I cant follow up when people talk about the newest events.

This would be excellent. Something like retronauts, but for comics.

VeeP

If the teaser at the end of Supergirl #33 is correct...

(Kon) Superboy will become part of a Gen 13 team.

It's got manga / animated influences to be sure. It's just so lively and energetic without skimping on the details. Plays with fluid proportions without seeming over the top.

I didn't read the final issue of Superboy but could you spoiler what happened at the end? I'm curious what becomes of Jon and Kon.
But it seems from the scans you posted Kon is on that team.

Another great issue of Black Science. Can't wait for next month.

Low was also great this month. Peaked through the letters in the back and Remender said the first three issues are focusing on world and character building so I'm expecting a similar tone and pace next month. He's creating a really fascinating world and the art for this book is incredible. It's very dreamy and fluid-- it just looks so good.

I didn't read the final issue of Superboy but could you spoiler what happened at the end? I'm curious what becomes of Jon and Kon.
But it seems from the scans you posted Kon is on that team.

Spoilers for Superboy #34 and Superboy in general:

Jon (from the future) and his friends from STAR Labs are trapped in a pocket dimension with Jon (from the past). The dimensional barriers had been breached such that Superboys from across dimensions had been drawn to it. This included Kon, who had survived the Krypton events as the Herald of the Oracle. So Jon and Kon and the STAR Labs team, empowered with super powers due to the fluid nature of this reality and becoming versions of themselves with powers, fight against Other Jon. Eventually, Jon (future) finds an opening and sacrifices himself to kill Jon (past), creating a time loop that sends everyone back to their times / dimensions. However, Kon is back in the present.

Basically, the once evil Jon learns the power of friendship and sacrifices himself to save his friends.

Now you guys know the pain and sorrow I felt when I lost my precious New Warriors

I hope you Secret Avengers fans get a nice and healthy run

Tizoc

Is anyone selling their comic book TPBs? Remember a GAFfer putting up a list and was wondering if he still had some books I'd be interested in.

Damn I feel so lost not having a weekly supply to read through... Especially considering the heavy hitters like Low and Black Science releasing. Did anyone get and complete Sundowners #1? Curious how that is.

On a more positive note I continue go wild putting holds on collected editions. I've got to pick up Hard Boiled, Sandman Vol 1-3, and Moore's Swamp Thing Book 1 tonight.

Comic Conspiracy is lots of mouth breathing nerds that think they know more than they do though, I often find it infuriating. They seem like the kinds of people that, were they reviewing games they'd have separate bits for graphics sound and gameplay.

The only comics pod I listen to is ifanboy's pick of the week show. Nerdy but not offensively so, knowledgable but know their limits, nice people.

The only comic podcast I kind of listen to is War Rocket Ajax by Matt Wilson & Chris Sims. I only say kind of, because I can't listen to the whole thing. Sims and Wilson are both strong writers as their work on Comic Alliance demonstrates, but man, they're kind of terrible interviewers. As well, I just don't give a shit about wrestling. Every episode I skip ahead to the reviews right before the interviews and then skip to their Every Story Ever segment in which they're attempting to rank every comic book story they've ever read into a definitive list.

Brought the beastly JSA omnibus to work and just read a story near the beginning that was really good. Titled Cold Heart by Ron Marz. It tells a story of how Green Lantern and Johnny Thunder saved the day during the peace talks between Rooseevelt, Churchill, and Stalin. Love superhero infused alt-history.

VeeP

Spoilers for Superboy #34 and Superboy in general:

Jon (from the future) and his friends from STAR Labs are trapped in a pocket dimension with Jon (from the past). The dimensional barriers had been breached such that Superboys from across dimensions had been drawn to it. This included Kon, who had survived the Krypton events as the Herald of the Oracle. So Jon and Kon and the STAR Labs team, empowered with super powers due to the fluid nature of this reality and becoming versions of themselves with powers, fight against Other Jon. Eventually, Jon (future) finds an opening and sacrifices himself to kill Jon (past), creating a time loop that sends everyone back to their times / dimensions. However, Kon is back in the present.

Basically, the once evil Jon learns the power of friendship and sacrifices himself to save his friends.

I just... I just can't... What.

So, DC kills Kon, makes a big deal that he's dead. Brings his replacement Jon from the future to the present. Then bring Kon back. Then kill off Jon.

Ales Kot has been killing it on that book, and I seriously can't wrap my head while more people aren't reading it. It's fun, the art is amazing, and it has some genuinely great characters.
I have the exact opposite feelings. Ales Kot brings his A++ game on Zero but brings his leftover trash ideas for SA. Not to mention Michael Walsh is a severely inferior version of David Aja and doesn't hold a candle to him. Then Kot's writing doesn't so much as pay homage to but apes Hawkeye in nearly every way. It tries and fails hard at being a quirky indie-Marvel comic. It's supposed to be a funny comic but all the characters have turned into parodies of themselves. I'd welcome a new team on the book.

Messi

I have the exact opposite feelings. Ales Kot brings his A++ game on Zero but brings his leftover trash ideas for SA. Not to mention Michael Walsh is a severely inferior version of David Aja and doesn't hold a candle to him. Then Kot's writing doesn't so much as pay homage to but apes Hawkeye in nearly every way. It tries and fails hard at being a quirky indie-Marvel comic. It's supposed to be a funny comic but all the characters have turned into parodies of themselves. I'd welcome a new team on the book.

I find myself laughing several times an issue while reading it. While I like Zero I find that it is relentlessly dark and depressing. I think the comics world is big enough for both to succeed.

I just... I just can't... What.

So, DC kills Kon, makes a big deal that he's dead. Brings his replacement Jon from the future to the present. Then bring Kon back. Then kill off Jon.

Shhh...

Don't think about it.

But really it feels like they thought people weren't reacting well to Kon, so they tried something different, people still didn't react well to it and threw a fit when Kon was killed and undid it. Feels like listening to fans gone too far.

I was growing to like the Jon Superboy.

Windblade is still good. It's easily the weakest of the three Transformers books (although Robots in Disguise has been wobbly since before Dawn of the Autobots) but it's still good. Nothing compares to More Than Meets the Eye though, that has become one of my favourite pulls after catching up lately.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
christ its gonna take decades for that dark horse star wars stuff to get on comixology

At least they will appear on Comixology, and not in the shitty Dark Horse App.

And in the frequence Marvels keeps pumping out the Epic Collections, it wont be too long. When I remember correctly, they release three Epics per year per franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom