• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Bombshells United variant by Babs Tarr:
dg4wqghuiaafzxn0oubj.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 31: I liked this arc a lot. I thought it was exciting and really fun. There are some pretty big moments here for long-time followers of the Dan Slott saga. Superior Octopus is great, and oh my god that Immonen art. Probably one of the best-looking current books out there.

I just wish it hadn't been a tie-in. I don't understand why it needed to be. It doesn't get in the way too much - provided you are reading Secret Empire - but it's going to be awkward collected or revisited. And the heavy tie-in moments are the worst parts. Fortunately, there are only a few of those.

Edit: credit also to Wade von Grawbadger and Marte Gracia for their stunning inks and colors (respectively) in this book

Edit: I wonder (Spider-Man Homecoming ending spoiler)
if May will find out before Homecoming 2 comes out

Vic_Viper

When does DCBService change to the next month for preorders? Are the books listed for August good till the end of the month or are they holdovers from last month?

Sandfox

When does DCBService change to the next month for preorders? Are the books listed for August good till the end of the month or are they holdovers from last month?

They change over like the first week into the next month. The August books went up last week.

Garryk

I would say you don't need any prior knowledge of Mister Miracle since this is so different. You're going to feel lost, but that's intentional.

Wouldn't hurt to hit Wikipedia or something, of course.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the whole
Darkseid Is
thing. That might trip you up. I dunno what do other people think about this?

I think
"Darkseid Is" is a reference to God saying that he is "I am."

"Darkseid Is" is just a reference to Morrison's JLA arc with him, Rock of Ages. It's an answer to the question "Who is your New God now and forever?" "Darkseid Is". It's a statement.

It's used in King's Mister Miracle to make it feel kind of claustrophobic and remind you that he's basically an ever-present force among the New Gods even outside of Apokolips. Seems to also be used to
help indicate scenes from Scott's perspective vs "normal" scenes. Like how the last two pages are colored more brightly and don't feature the panel and Barda's eyes are blue again.

Really enjoyable. Like a 7.5/10. It helps that Diana wasn't being written horribly anymore.

I'm giving New Superman a 7/10. The twist at the end of volume 1 has me really interested in future issues.

Backstagers is also pretty adorable so far.

Reading X-Men Supernovas just makes me angry House of M ever happened. Fuck Joe Quesada and his 'too many mutants' bullshit.
Supernovas is probably one of my favorite trades ever

Messi

I'm real glad Jordie Bellaire is back on Twitter, and I hope the jackasses don't run her off again.

Well the first day she was back they were already attacking her so...

When was this announced?

Batman and Harley Quinn Paperback – 13 Mar 2018

Ty Templeton and Rick Burchett return to the BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES world in a graphic novel that dives deeper in the world of the BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN original animated film!

Harley Quinn is a legend in her own mind, so when she realizes the Joker thinks of her as more of a sidekick, she takes her revenge! But before Batman can swoop in and cart her off to Arkham, her pal Poison Ivy rescues her! However, if the only way to get rid of her sidekick status is to strike out on her own, will HQ be willing to try it? And does that mean... joining Batman?

From creators including Ty Templeton, Rick Burchett, Jeff Parker (BATMAN '66) and more comes tales that build out the world of the new original animated film.

Collects BATMAN & HARLEY QUINN #1-6.

VanWinkle

Well the first day she was back they were already attacking her so...

When was this announced?

Oh, interesting. I saw it go up with the Edelweiss spring catalog a couple of weeks ago, but I never read the contents. I didn't know that it was a new thing. Parker/Tempelton/Burchett means it's very likely to be good and true to the animated series comics from back in the day.

smisk

Read the first couple issues of Chaykin's new book and it didn't do anything for me, his art isn't great either.
I know he has kinda a bad rep among some people, don't know much about the guy myself, but he definitely comes off as an asshole in the letters page.

VanWinkle

Just finished Batgirl Year One. Man, what a fantastic book. Easily my favorite Batgirl story I've read. Dixon killed it on writing, and Marcos Martin knocked it out of the park. The art could not be more perfect for the tone of the book.

Truly, truly just wonderful stuff.

How was Cable and the X-Force?
Only read the first two arcs but it was alright
Read the first couple issues of Chaykin's new book and it didn't do anything for me, his art isn't great either.
I know he has kinda a bad rep among some people, don't know much about the guy myself, but he definitely comes off as an asshole in the letters page.

i always thought he was a funny asshole but his statements surrounding this book are just real asshole stuff

Explain then.

Well, I've explained several times over the past few years but it's basically a perfect representation of everything I love about the character right down to the ending. It's got the right amount of optimism for the future ("Batman never dies!") and a lot of passion for the Batfamily overall. I also loved the art. The paneling is so fucking cool with how Bruce and Talia's swords line up to form them. And that one splash page with Ouroboros swirling behind them is just great.

Well, I've explained several times over the past few years but it's basically a perfect representation of everything I love about the character right down to the ending. It's got the right amount of optimism for the future ("Batman never dies!") and a lot of passion for the Batfamily overall. I also loved the art. The paneling is so fucking cool with how Bruce and Talia's swords line up to form them. And that one splash page with Ouroboros swirling behind them is just great.
This is pretty much what Morrison did with Batman RIP but minus the Batfamily. Also, I did not like the art.

Aizo

Banned
What a long wait. I finally get to see Spider-man in a few hours. My Japanese friend is wearing his Spider-man suit to the movie. Should be great. haha. Vicariously through him, I've seen that being a Japanese person that reads translated American comics would suck. Prices are high, waits are long, selection is much smaller.

The next superhero movie that comes out is Wonder Woman is on the 25th. Bullshit. haha. My friend went to America a few days ago and she's gonna see it before me. Crazy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What a long wait. I finally get to see Spider-man in a few hours. My Japanese friend is wearing his Spider-man suit to the movie. Should be great. haha. Vicariously through him, I've seen that being a Japanese person that reads translated American comics would suck. Prices are high, waits are long, selection is much smaller.

The next superhero movie that comes out is Wonder Woman is on the 25th. Bullshit. haha. My friend went to America a few days ago and she's gonna see it before me. Crazy.

Damn, you guys are getting it late.

And apparently China is getting it in September 8.

Top Bottom