• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

CMX bestsellers time~~

EU:
1. Detective Comics #962
2. Secret Empire #8 (of 10)
3. The Wicked + The Divine #30
4. Injustice 2 #18
5. Mister Miracle #1
6. The Flash #28
7. Titans #14
8. Ms. Marvel #21
9. Action Comics #985
10. Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

US:
1. Mister Miracle #1
2. Secret Empire #8 (of 10)
3. Detective Comics #962
4. The Flash #28
5. Action Comics #985
6. Injustice 2 #18
7. Titans #14
8. The Wicked + The Divine #30
9. Amazing Spider-Man #31
10. Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps #26

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
BPRD in the new movie :| deaaad
Huh, I guess it's nothing like the comic where they got the name from. I thought maybe Broom was gonna be a flashback or something but he might just be a main character for the whole movie.

However, this means we'll probably get Liz, Abe and maybe even Kraus, that wouldn't be too bad.

Give me Alice, too.

Huh, I guess it's nothing like the comic where they got the name from. I thought maybe Broom was gonna be a flashback or something but he might just be a main character for the whole movie.

However, this means we'll probably get Liz, Abe and maybe even Kraus, that wouldn't be too bad.

Give me Alice, too.

Well I think it'll be Darkness Calls for the most part and both the professor and the BPRD will be flashbacks and referenced in this movie, just based on the wording of what they've been saying. They want to tease his history with the BPRD for future spin offs and just because it's intriguing lore if you came in at that point in the mythos but not bog the actual plot down too much.

They did drop the subtitle awhile back though, yea.

Glix

So i went back and grabbed Mister Miracle today.

It was VERY good, but I have a question. I have never read King's stuff before.... is he always this Morrison-esque?

Mafro

I'm really tempted by Mister Miracle but I know absolutely nothing about the character because I've never read any DC outside of some of Snyder's Batman. Is it easy enough to get into?

Stalk

I'm really tempted by Mister Miracle but I know absolutely nothing about the character because I've never read any DC outside of some of Snyder's Batman. Is it easy enough to get into?

Came on to ask this question too, hah. I really enjoyed Vision as well, so interested in trying something new (my pull list is entirely~ marvel / image atm).

I would say you don't need any prior knowledge of Mister Miracle since this is so different. You're going to feel lost, but that's intentional.

Wouldn't hurt to hit Wikipedia or something, of course.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the whole
Darkseid Is
thing. That might trip you up. I dunno what do other people think about this?

Came on to ask this question too, hah. I really enjoyed Vision as well, so interested in trying something new (my pull list is entirely~ marvel / image atm).

If you like the Vision then you might like Mister Miracle.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, I wanted to talk a bit about what I am currently reading.
I have finally decided to give the original run from Stan Lee and Steve Ditko on Amazing a try. This is why I was a bit reserved to talk about it, since it must sometimes feel that I dont have any other topic to talk about. Which is not true, I read a lot of stuff, its actually the first time in a few months that I read a couple of Spider-Man books that close together, but when I read the other stuff, its most likely already talked about and I dont see any point in writing more then one, two sentences about the new Ms. Marvel or Old Man Logan Trade, or try to articulate a longer post about the newese Marvel Event collection, since you all read the stuff when it releases the first time and everything is discussed when I am able to add something to the discussion. Its shit. Spider-Man is a topic where I know a lot and can always add something to a discussion, but I still fell always a bit bad then because of the reason I have given above :see_no_evil:

Anyway, please dont be annoyed.

So I have started to read through the first Omnibus. I have still plenty to read, since I am currently only able to read one, two issues per day but I am very surprised how good all of that stuff is. Looks like I always aborted right before Lee and Ditko started to groove into the character. Its very interesting to see the early characterisation of all these villains. I was very embossed by Mark Millers Electro for example, a ruthless asshole, who doesnt shy away to let cars with kids inside explode, just to mess with Spider-Man, but here, at their first encounter, he was actually worried after he hit Spidey with a lighting bolt which let him fall down on a rooftop and had his arm broken. And the Lizard is actually were intelligent and can get toe on toe with Spider-Man in terms of pure strenght. And I was not aware, that the Living Brain is actually a Spider-Man villain. I always thought that he was some curiosity, developed by whoever and just reintroduced by Slott because he can.
And the Introduction Issue of the Living Brain, oh boy, what an issue. Its so far definitly my favorite issue, its really the moment where Lee started to turn things a bit around. In this issue, Flash and Peter get into fist fight, which Peter is able to win, which seems to get him win the respect of his former bully. Flash now always wants to connect with Peter, but he always is still understandably antagonistic against Flash. Liz also now starts to recognize that Peter is the the black duckling everyone suspects Peter to be. I also liked the general pace of the issue, it was very fast and so different to every of the other issues so far. Also, its the first time a whole book is spend in the school, which is also nice.

Also, its very interesting, that while May of course has already her permanent sickness and need for medication, she doesnt feel that fragile and the public also loves Spider-Man for now. I am really curious to see why and how this changes. My guess now is that it will have to do with the death of Captain Stacy.

The best part of the book so far is still Peters relationship with Betty Brand. I really like Betty, everytime she is around I like what is done with her and with the One and Off Issue "Platonic" and the short arc where she gets robbed by some Gangsters and beaten until she has to send to the hospital are some of Slotts best issues he has ever written on the book.
The whole relationship is still very childish and innocent and of course from Bettys perspective pretty cliche, but you really get to notice, that these two people care about each other. And so it really hurts a bit when Peter more or less caused the death of her brother due the hands of Doctor Octopus henchmens. For its age its really well written.

Of course I still feel the age of this book. The dialogues are honky, the characterisations of the characters are still super rough, the Green Goblin rides around on a boomstick and tricks Hollywood filmmakers in setting up movies featuring Spider-Man... But you really get that feeling that what you read is really good and there is a reason this book became as big as it was. Its really funny to read through the letter pages and see everyone getting excited about how different and brilliant this book is.
Still, I cant wait until I get to Lee/Romero, because thats when IMO the book really starts to be readable.

Vic_Viper

Read the Jean Grey Generations book and man did it feel like a huge waste and missed opportunity. After reading it I'm not entirely sure why they are doing these or if I should even bother getting more if they are all like this.

Anyone here know how much longer the current pre orders will be available on DCBS? Thinking about pre ordering Detective Rebirth but I have to wait till I get paid next week.

Sandfox

Read the Jean Grey Generations book and man did it feel like a huge waste and missed opportunity. After reading it I'm not entirely sure why they are doing these or if I should even bother getting more if they are all like this.

Anyone here know how much longer the current pre orders will be available on DCBS? Thinking about pre ordering Detective Rebirth but I have to wait till I get paid next week.
The Generations stories are going to have an effect on the characters for Legacy. The stories we've gotten so far have changed the characters in notable ways. The business reason is that they wanted something else coming out when when SE was getting close to ending.

Disney selling an official Ms. Marvel costume, now. Man, I wish I was a girl. And 8.

2841041218059.jpg

And I was not aware, that the Living Brain is actually a Spider-Man villain. I always thought that he was some curiosity, developed by whoever and just reintroduced by Slott because he can.

I have to get around to giving this run another shot sometime.

On that note, Living Brain exists and is different from Brain Drain...?

Edit: Looked it up. Looks like Living Brain is actually a robot. Expected it to have the same design as Brain Drain.

The best part of the book so far is still Peters relationship with Betty Brand. I really like Betty, everytime she is around I like what is done with her and with the One and Off Issue "Platonic" and the short arc where she gets robbed by some Gangsters and beaten until she has to send to the hospital are some of Slotts best issues he has ever written on the book.
The whole relationship is still very childish and innocent and of course from Bettys perspective pretty cliche, but you really get to notice, that these two people care about each other. And so it really hurts a bit when Peter more or less caused the death of her brother due the hands of Doctor Octopus henchmens. For its age its really well written.

I was surprised by how much I liked Betty my first time reading. Also really liked Cap's relationships with Rachel Leighton and Bernie Rosenthal.

It's Bendis. Did the Ultimate version die before Secret Wars? You're the Taskmaster lore expert here~

Ultimate Taskmaster only had one appearance, in which he was eventually subdued by Cloak when no one else's powers would work on him. This may be Ultimate Taskmaster, but he uses 616-Task's dialect.

Ultimate Taskmaster spoke very 'professionally', precisely, no notable accent. 616 has a pretty distinct Bronx accent.

'Tell ya what, piss on outta here' SCREAMS 616 Task, but the new powers and costume are a standing mystery.

Long story short, no clear answer, and it's bugging me. I guess I gotta wait for the full issue.

Ultimate Task^

My birthday is in January. Don't listen to Messi's lies. Not even sure what this is about. He had to direct me to the thread to even see him doing whatever it is he is doing.

Ultimate Taskmaster only had one appearance, in which he was eventually subdued by Cloak when no one else's powers would work on him. This may be Ultimate Taskmaster, but he uses 616-Task's dialect.

Ultimate Taskmaster spoke very 'professionally', precisely, no notable accent. 616 has a pretty distinct Bronx accent.

'Tell ya what, piss on outta here' SCREAMS 616 Task, but the new powers and costume are a standing mystery.

Long story short, no clear answer, and it's bugging me. I guess I gotta wait for the full issue.

Could Bendis be pulling from some cartoon he saw? That's what he did with Carnage, remember?

This one feels wrong.

My birthday is in January. Don't listen to Messi's lies. Not even sure what this is about. He had to direct me to the thread to even see him doing whatever it is he is doing.
I knew this was too early! You even mentioned your birthday being a few months off in the last thread when we talked ages IIRC.

Could Bendis be pulling from some cartoon he saw? That's what he did with Carnage, remember?

This one feels wrong.

Trying to predict what Bendis will do to a character is like picking off a butterfly's wings in the hopes it'll prevent an earthquake in Australia. I have no idea. My best guess is probably not, though. Demeanor-wise, he's spot on for 616. Power-wise, we don't see much in the preview, did he do some kind of eye blast or just a super strength punch, dunno.

The costume isn't really similar to any of his previous looks, comic or cartoon. It has some very basic similarities to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon I guess, but still not much at all.

Of course, there's also the frustrating possibility that it's another Task entirely.

My main reason for thinking it's 616 is that him and Peter seem to really be familiar with each other, they're outright chatting like old foes.

Fuck Chaykin:
Yesterday, as I type this, I agreed without grudge with my publisher, as IMAGE opted to remove a cover created for the fourth issue of The Divided States of Hysteria and to replace it with an alternative. As some of you might be aware, this was a reaction to a roar of outrage from various factions of the self-identified Progressive, Liberal and Leftist communities, entities committed to protecting various identity-based sections and sects of the polity. This includes several of my professional colleagues–some of whom clearly agreed with the complaints, some of whom were suffering ad hominem attacks simply by dint of being published by the same house that had the gall to publish me.

In closing, I’d like to thank Eric, Robert, Kat and everyone at IMAGE, and to make an amends to them, my friends and my colleagues for the collateral damage they took from the shit that was hurled at me. These are stand-up guys–and I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity to be working with and for them. As for the rest, I’d be grateful to those of you who are actually reading the book to tell those people coming after me with their digital pitchforks and virtual torches that I remain unrepentant, and that apologies from me in that regard will come on a cold day in hell. Best, and thanks for your kind attention.

I miss you <333 I can't believe now that everyone loves DC you are nowhere to be found.

Speaking of DC, I am, like, obsessed with Injustice. Not the game (gross), but year one of the comic! I'm about 20 issues in. How awesome is Catwoman?? So awesome! This might actually be the most I've ever loved a DC cape book. Definitely the most I've loved a DC team cape book. It's so much fun to read.

I miss you <333 I can't believe now that everyone loves DC you are nowhere to be found.

Speaking of DC, I am, like, obsessed with Injustice. Not the game (gross), but year one of the comic! I'm about 20 issues in. How awesome is Catwoman?? So awesome! This might actually be the most I've ever loved a DC cape book. Definitely the most I've loved a DC team cape book. It's so much fun to read.

Hey! Nice to see you're back.

And Injustice is an absolute treat. There are ups and downs but it has been ridiculously good for what should have been a throwaway video game tie in. They took the idea seriously and rolled with it and you can tell the creative team wanted to do more than just mail it in each issue. Stick with it.

Top Bottom