• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Aizo

Banned
So Mr. Miracle is pretty fascinating on a second read-through.

There's probably something to the Darkseid panel positioning on each page but I don't want to go that tinfoil hat. But I thought it was interesting that the only pages that didn't have the Darkseid panels were when he was talking to Highfather and when they were getting ready to leave at the end (also where Barda's eyes are blue again!) So the other pages must be either a dream or alternate reality.

Also there are God references all throughout the book especially on the page where he's on the talk show. There's a God or Jesus reference in every panel and Scott Free is on the Godfre (God Free?) show.

And then what's the deal with the pieces of tape? There's one over the kid on the first page and then on Oberon's face when he's retelling the story from the first page.

Very intrigued. Can't wait to see where this is going.
Here's a relevant interview quote for you.
Interviewer: You talked a bit about Scott being a sort of Jesus analogue when you announced the series, which is something that I had never thought about until that moment, and then realized made total sense.

Tom King: Kirby's genius was to take the epic Bible stories of his childhood, combine them with the passion he got from fighting in World War Two, and then add his own insanity and creativity from working in comics for thirty years... and all of that ended up creating the spine of our current pop culture. And so, with Scott — the classic context in Christianity is God giving his son to humanity, but in Kirby's myth, God gives his son to the devil. That's the twist on it. He's the son of God, but he was raised in Hell, in a place where he was damaged in the deepest place a person can be damaged.

Messi

I hope someday Fabok does more interiors. He might be my favourite interior artist. But I know Darkseid War almost killed him.

Still reading Perez Wonder Woman. Things have scaled down a bit, in scale and pace. I've actually hit an issue which is more an essay than a comic...

From Gerads:
Hey neat, @DCComics just told me to share my MISTER MIRACLE #3 cover with all y'all as a thank you for being so rad! Hope ya dig it! ��⚡️
dg39x5lu0aidbukgujhu.jpg

Metal #2 early preview.

caliph95

I've been so out of the loop on comics in general so how do I catch up to dark days event if it's still going last thing I read was forge the first book on it

Messi

Image's deluxe editions are nicer than DC's (and Marvel's), BUT the only bad thing about Image's are the bindings are pretty inconsistent. They're pretty tight sometimes, moreso than DC and Marvel, or even occasionally glued. Their cover boards and paper quality are great, though.

DC has really improved lately. Their OHC bindings are better than Marvel's OHC bindings, which is pretty crazy.

I am also wondering if you think the optimal page count changes based on the thickness of page or if the pages are matte vs glossy. Are 270 glossy pages more optimal than 320 matte pages?

I find the binding is better on matte pages as it can grip more easily.

GAMEPROFF should have to wear a reversed version of his avatar if he's wrong.

I don't get how someone could even think that a Spidey story could be pointing to an end when he LITERALLY FUCKING KILLED PETER PARKER AND REPLACED HIM AND THAT WAS LIKE FUCKING YEARS AGO.

I guess I just have very little patience for theories that have already long been debunked by reality, sorry, Proff, nothing personal.

I don't get how someone could even think that a Spidey story could be pointing to an end when he LITERALLY FUCKING KILLED PETER PARKER AND REPLACED HIM AND THAT WAS LIKE FUCKING YEARS AGO.

I guess I just have very little patience for theories that have already long been debunked by reality, sorry, Proff, nothing personal.

Fucking Peter Parker
escaped death before Mister Miracle ever attempted it. :3

Whether Mister Miracle hit with you or now can't deny DC are going big this month, with that this week and first issue of Metal next week. Those seem like the two big releases that are creating buzz at the moment. Can' t really see much buzz building for generations or legacy with Marvel at the moment.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I was going to put this exact same thing, but them I thought seen as I'm in brexit UK under Theresa (Big Brother) May we really have no room to talk :(

They managed to outdo our shitness

@Messi, are you proofplaya on Twitter? If so, you have one of the coolest beards I've ever seen.

VanWinkle

Still reading Perez Wonder Woman. Things have scaled down a bit, in scale and pace. I've actually hit an issue which is more an essay than a comic...

Are you on the first omnibus?

I am also wondering if you think the optimal page count changes based on the thickness of page or if the pages are matte vs glossy. Are 270 glossy pages more optimal than 320 matte pages?

I find the binding is better on matte pages as it can grip more easily.

Very good question. I hadn't thought about it, and matte paper is interesting. It's thicker than glossy by a pretty large margin, but it's much lighter weight. I think a 500 page OHC with matte pages, like DC The New Frontier Deluxe, is a great length, because it's basically as light as a 270 page book with glossy paper. But then it's a matter of whether you think the book is too thick.

In my mind, the weight of the book is a way bigger factor in readability than the thickness. And a thick book with good binding is still very readable.

Are you on the first omnibus?

Very good question. I hadn't thought about it, and matte paper is interesting. It's thicker than glossy by a pretty large margin, but it's much lighter weight. I think a 500 page OHC with matte pages, like DC The New Frontier Deluxe, is a great length, because it's basically as light as a 270 page book with glossy paper. But then it's a matter of whether you think the book is too thick.

In my mind, the weight of the book is a way bigger factor in readability than the thickness. And a thick book with good binding is still very readable.

When are you going to start teaching a course on binding and book quality?

Top Bottom