• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Wanderer5

Holy crap, Metal is off to a great start.

Freaking Justice League Voltron. The intro battle was a blast overall.

Shenanigans happen, and at the end is
Sandman?

Bring it on with this event!

Dalek

Sandman?

Cyborg
said Booyah
!!

And yes this issue was great and I feel I have a lot of research to do regarding DC history.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Was just about to post about it ;P

CuaDZa9.gif

Aizo

Banned
Friend: "I'm glad you explained the all the backstory for Mister Miracle and New Gods before I read Mister Miracle. It was good."
Me: "Oh, I forgot to tell you two things."
Friend: "I'm confused again."
Me: "Here are my theories..." "This is how the art is potentially being used in tandem with panel structure to mislead the reader..."
Friend: "This is overwhelming."
Me: [Still ranting about theories]
Friend: [No response]

PsychBat!

Banned
Anyone want to help out expanding the Spider-Man guide thread?

The format will largely be the same and if you have any suggestions, I'll run them by Ed.

Person(s) can help out on certain runs, arcs, reviews or retrospectives.

There are certain things I do plan on working on myself and I'm sure Ed does too so PM me and hopefully we can reach an agreement and get to work.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone want to help out expanding the Spider-Man guide thread?

The format will largely be the same and if you have any suggestions, I'll run them by Ed.

Person(s) can help out on certain runs, arcs, reviews or retrospectives.

There are certain things I do plan on working on myself and I'm sure Ed does too so PM me and hopefully we can reach an agreement and get to work.

I would more then love to add something, but everytime I write a Essay or something it sounds super horrible to me and I think in english it may sound even worse.

I could maybe write about the first years of the character since I am currently reading the fist Omnibus and am surprised how the things turned out back then compared to today, after countless retcons, or my thougts on some Minis or One-Shots, or even single issues that stand out for me. Also I am currently in the mood for a reread of Kravens Last Hunt and thats definitly a book worth covering.

This said, I still havent found time to read the thread, so I am not sure if some of that is already covered.

I really love the way they handle the whole legacy/Rac Shade aspect of the new book. I definitely have questions that make me interested in going back and reading those stories but at the same time none of those questions are necessarily anything to do with Loma, Megan or the story at hand, it didn't take away at all. I definitely will find a way to read that stuff at some point, I'd love to know what the actual person is like in comparison to how Loma see's him as this obsession/idol or the other character who obviously has history with him and is making decisions informed by that. The only OG Shade I've read is the first arc of nu52 JLD haha.

Doom Patrol is up next, I'll hopefully have some time for that tomorrow evening, can't wait. Those were the two must buys, and I picked up the other two YA books while I was at it because, well, why not.

Also yea, I didn't really go into depth but Marley Zarcone's art on Shade is just blah, so good, I wouldn't know where to start. I don't think I'm too familiar with the colourist but she does fantastic work too.

Let us know how you like Doom Patrol when you've read it Donnie. After reading the first issue on release I wasn't that into it, but I came back into it after the first arc was done and really dug it. If you go with the crazy and give a bit of time for things to start revealing themselves its really good stuff.

Aizos posts about the comic scene in Japan make me realise how lucky we are in the UK, releases pretty much same day, plenty of stores, prices pretty much same as US releases. We just need someting like an equivelant of instock trades and we'd be good to go.

(Though we did get a little bit screwed on prices than what we used to have because of exchange rates and brexit)

Vic_Viper

After watching The Dark Tower the other night ive really been interesed in checking out the books and Marvel graphic novels. How is the Marvel Dark Tower series? Is it a retelling of the books or is it more like the current Marvel Star Wars run?

Anyone here read the Marvel Dark Tower series?

ElNarez

Banned
Friend: "I'm glad you explained the all the backstory for Mister Miracle and New Gods before I read Mister Miracle. It was good."
Me: "Oh, I forgot to tell you two things."
Friend: "I'm confused again."
Me: "Here are my theories..." "This is how the art is potentially being used in tandem with panel structure to mislead the reader..."
Friend: "This is overwhelming."
Me: [Still ranting about theories]
Friend: [No response]

You slipped into Full Discourse. That's way too much discourse for anyone. Only discourse under the supervision of professionals. This has been a Comics-GAF public safety announcement.

PS: holy shit just how huge is the Metal reading list? Snyder is pulling tons of stuff, somehow including the Greg Pak run on Batman/Superman.

You slipped into Full Discourse. That's way too much discourse for anyone. Only discourse under the supervision of professionals. This has been a Comics-GAF public safety announcement.

PS: holy shit just how huge is the Metal reading list? Snyder is pulling tons of stuff, somehow including the Greg Pak run on Batman/Superman.
Even
90's Aquaman.

Sandfox

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/spidey...wanted-list-in-exclusive-marvel-legacy-reveal
Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man is a very different type of comic. Will your books interact in any way?

Not in a “MAJOR EPIC CROSSOVER COLLECT ALL PARTS” kind of way, at least for the time being. But what happens in each of the titles affects the status quo in the other. When Dan kills Aunt May and brings back Uncle Ben as a gun-toting vigilante this fall, I’ll make sure to reflect that in Spectacular.
Uncle Punisher lol.

tim1138

Metal was pretty dang good.
Kendra better get her wings back

The whole thing being a big callback to
Final Crisis
and
The Return of Bruce Wayne
is great.

It's about the time the Justice League comic added some more members imo.

I wish they kept Element Woman and Firestorm. Emily Sung would have provided some much needed asian representation on the team.

Martian Manhunter goes without saying.

But I hope after
Metal is over Kendra Saunders joins the team as Hawkgirl

Call me an SJW pushing an equality agenda but I'm lowkey tired of Jess and Diana being the only females on the team.

After watching The Dark Tower the other night ive really been interesed in checking out the books and Marvel graphic novels. How is the Marvel Dark Tower series? Is it a retelling of the books or is it more like the current Marvel Star Wars run?

Anyone here read the Marvel Dark Tower series?

It's a literal retelling of the books, and not very good. Well, some of the art is great, but there are inaccuracies, David gets some stuff wrong and adds some stuff that just doesn't mesh well. He has a real ear for nearly quoting lines from the book, but then getting it just wrong enough to lose all the feeling. Also, tangental but I wouldn't really advocate supporting Peter David in any sense but that's seperate to the book I guess.

I would just read the novels if I was going to to do anything.

Let us know how you like Doom Patrol when you've read it Donnie. After reading the first issue on release I wasn't that into it, but I came back into it after the first arc was done and really dug it. If you go with the crazy and give a bit of time for things to start revealing themselves its really good stuff.

Will do! Umbrella Academy is definitely in my top 10 books so I feel pretty confident about it :D

shingi70

Banned
What a pointless relationship

I always thought it made sense. If you look at one of the main theme of Batman especially when aimed around his early days. Organized crime is big in Gotham, Batman shows up, organized crime makes way for Super villains. With that in mind if Robin shows up on the scene, shouldn't Harley be Jokers foil to the boy Wonder.

Sandman?

That is David. He was the Sandman that replace Morpheus. He was also in Grant Morrison's JLA during his Starro arc.

Messi

Can we have a book where Harley doesn't need to fuck someone every 5-6 issues. Cheers. Currently in the comics she is sexing 2 people, dating a 3rd and this movie brings a 4th.

Aizo

Banned
Aizos posts about the comic scene in Japan make me realise how lucky we are in the UK, releases pretty much same day, plenty of stores, prices pretty much same as US releases. We just need someting like an equivelant of instock trades and we'd be good to go.

(Though we did get a little bit screwed on prices than what we used to have because of exchange rates and brexit)
I think you can actually read American comics early in Japan due to the time zone, if you're lucky enough to shop at one of the few places that has the comics available.

Wanderer5

Looks like Snyder commented that if you just read Metal 1-6 and Batman Lost for this event, you'd be fine. I'll look at the Dark Knights one shots later.

Aizo

Banned
I had a meetup for a job lead across the city. I'm taking a late train back, but I wanna read Metal :(((

I've downloaded it to my phone. I'm a sinner.

Top Bottom