• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Read Shade, The Changing Girl vol 1 today. Really really great book, immediately one of the best things I read this year, and just a really exciting book in general. The writing by Cecil just flows beautifully and works perfectly in sync with the art, the colours, this is a book where the team were really on the same page the whole way through and made a piece of art as well as an engaging story. Just really great and trippy and feels like classic Vertigo reimagined.

I'd prefer not to say much about the plot, but the ending really threw me for a loop, really unexpected and and it definitely leaves off with somethings to ruminate on. It's exciting to think where it's going to go.

Anyway, late to the party but big thumbs up. Can't wait for February...

Malyse

I read a article this afternoon, that said that instead of big Events, Marvel should make more OGN.
It would be a good idea m, because the Trade Market is on the rise.
I can look for the link if you want to.

The best thing that Star Wars is doing is the limited character runs.

Read Shade, The Changing Girl vol 1 today. Really really great book, immediately one of the best things I read this year, and just a really exciting book in general. The writing by Cecil just flows beautifully and works perfectly in sync with the art, the colours, this is a book where the team were really on the same page the whole way through and made a piece of art as well as an engaging story. Just really great and trippy and feels like classic Vertigo reimagined.

I'd prefer not to say much about the plot, but the ending really threw me for a loop, really unexpected and and it definitely leaves off with somethings to ruminate on. It's exciting to think where it's going to go.

Anyway, late to the party but big thumbs up. Can't wait for February...
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, it's so good and such a fantastic revival for the series. It really treats the previous run and history with respect and moves forward in a really fresh direction. I'm a big fan of Zarcone's work thanks to it, she really is the perfect artist for it and does some incredible work.

It's a real shame that Milligan's run isn't fully collected in trade because it's also great. It's very grimey and trippy but it makes for some nice contrast in comparison and I think makes the current series even more enjoyable. Especially since you'll be more familiar with Rac Shade and his story. Still, the current book stands on its own very well and I've been extremely happy with it. Hopefully it can live for even half as long as the last run.

You'll totally love Doom Patrol when you get to that too. I feel like all of us who like BPRD really enjoy it lol. It has a very creative cast of characters and Way's run has one of the best origin stories you'll ever read for a superhero in my opinion. And luckily, the previous runs are all readily available in case you want to read more about returning characters like Cliff and Jane.

shingi70

Banned
How is image is doing as a whole? It feels like three to four years ago they were the talk of the town and now even Thierry most popular books aren't really mentioned in conversations online anymore.

Messi

How is image is doing as a whole? It feels like three to four years ago they were the talk of the town and now even Thierry most popular books aren't really mentioned in conversations online anymore.

People stop talking about great books as they continue to be great. It's easier to bitch and moan about bad books instead. Deadly Class and Saga are still incredible.

mreddie

Saga Genesis and Sex Criminals, and of course Dead

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, it's so good and such a fantastic revival for the series. It really treats the previous run and history with respect and moves forward in a really fresh direction. I'm a big fan of Zarcone's work thanks to it, she really is the perfect artist for it and does some incredible work.

It's a real shame that Milligan's run isn't fully collected in trade because it's also great. It's very grimey and trippy but it makes for some nice contrast in comparison and I think makes the current series even more enjoyable. Especially since you'll be more familiar with Rac Shade and his story. Still, the current book stands on its own very well and I've been extremely happy with it. Hopefully it can live for even half as long as the last run.

You'll totally love Doom Patrol when you get to that too. I feel like all of us who like BPRD really enjoy it lol. It has a very creative cast of characters and Way's run has one of the best origin stories you'll ever read for a superhero in my opinion. And luckily, the previous runs are all readily available in case you want to read more about returning characters like Cliff and Jane.

I really love the way they handle the whole legacy/Rac Shade aspect of the new book. I definitely have questions that make me interested in going back and reading those stories but at the same time none of those questions are necessarily anything to do with Loma, Megan or the story at hand, it didn't take away at all. I definitely will find a way to read that stuff at some point, I'd love to know what the actual person is like in comparison to how Loma see's him as this obsession/idol or the other character who obviously has history with him and is making decisions informed by that. The only OG Shade I've read is the first arc of nu52 JLD haha.

Doom Patrol is up next, I'll hopefully have some time for that tomorrow evening, can't wait. Those were the two must buys, and I picked up the other two YA books while I was at it because, well, why not.

Also yea, I didn't really go into depth but Marley Zarcone's art on Shade is just blah, so good, I wouldn't know where to start. I don't think I'm too familiar with the colourist but she does fantastic work too.

I'm just being a good cousin and trying to prevent fanboyism.

You can understand that, can't ya?
Everyday my son. Every day.
It's a little early, but we knew Vision was gonna get there by issue 2 or so, so you won't have to wait long for a definite answer.
That's because Vision was completely different from anything we'd seen in awhile. People compared it to David Lynch (never seen his work so I couldn't vouch, but I know he's known for being cryptic and dreamy). When was the last time we got a book like that? Even more so, a superhero book? Even more so after that, a Vision book?

Aizo

Banned
I read vol. 1 of Superman Rebirth. It was fun. Pretty consistently good feeling from Lois and Clark. I didn't expect Jon to have the specific difficulties that he did.

Wonder Woman Rebirth next. Hoping to catch up before the film comes out. I've read a decent amount of Perez, Rucka, and Azzarello's runs, and Rucka was my favorite, so I've got high hopes.

I read vol. 1 of Superman Rebirth. It was fun. Pretty consistently good feeling from Lois and Clark. I didn't expect Jon to have the specific difficulties that he did.

Wonder Woman Rebirth next. Hoping to catch up before the film comes out. I've read a decent amount of Perez, Rucka, and Azzarello's runs, and Rucka was my favorite, so I've got high hopes.

How is the reception to Wonder Woman over in Japan? It seems to be doing pretty well.

Aizo

Banned
How is the reception to Wonder Woman over in Japan? It seems to be doing pretty well.
The film? It doesn't come out until the 25th. Haha. I've started to see some advertising just recently. I wonder how it will do. One of my Japanese friends, who knows I love comics, assumed I wasn't going to see it for reasons I don't understand. I think she assumed that it either isn't based on comics, or it's just for girls? She was surprised when I told her I was excited to see it.

Seems to me that Japanese people generally know nothing about Wonder Woman.
--
Wait, does nobody like Motor Crush? I like it. Ending of the arc made me feel like they'll start doing a comic I don't care about, though.

Vic_Viper

Anyone here read the Dark Tower series from Marvel? How is it and does it follow the books or is it more like seprate story arcs that loosely follow the premise of the books while also telling their own stories? What is the reading order for the main series, not the supplemental books, but the actual main series that came out first?

What is the diffrence between the 2 omnibuses? theres one on Amazon that is just called the Dark tower Omnibus, and then there another called the Dark Tower Omnibus Slipcase.

Aizo

Banned
Are people in Japan hype for Dark Night Metal?
Lol. They honestly probably have no clue. Since comics are already a niche market, most Japanese people only know a small amount of Japanese, very few stores in Japan carrying floppies exist, and the prices are essentially double for floppies, there are very few Japanese people keeping up with comics issue to issue.

Japanese people that are into American comics typically just buy trades... and they typically buy the trades that are translated, so that's quite a wait from the initial release. I'll tell you all about the Dark Nights Metal hype in Japan in 2 years.

Lol. They honestly probably have no clue. Since comics are already a niche market, most Japanese people only know a small amount of Japanese, very few stores in Japan carrying floppies exist, and the prices are essentially double for floppies, there are very few Japanese people keeping up with comics issue to issue.

Japanese people that are into American comics typically just buy trades... and they typically buy the trades that are translated, so that's quite a wait from the initial release. I'll tell you all about the Dark Nights Metal hype in Japan in 2 years.
Fair enough.

Then put "I AM JOKING, FREEZA" in spoiler tags next time.
I thought my sarcasm game was on point.
The film? It doesn't come out until the 25th. Haha. I've started to see some advertising just recently. I wonder how it will do. One of my Japanese friends, who knows I love comics, assumed I wasn't going to see it for reasons I don't understand. I think she assumed that it either isn't based on comics, or it's just for girls? She was surprised when I told her I was excited to see it.

Seems to me that Japanese people generally know nothing about Wonder Woman.
--
Wait, does nobody like Motor Crush? I like it. Ending of the arc made me feel like they'll start doing a comic I don't care about, though.

Any Sailor Moon fans excited for it? Is Sailor Moon still a popular thing?

Messi

Was that supposed to hurt? I stopped reading Motor Crush already. :D

Then put "I AM JOKING, FREEZA" in spoiler tags next time.

Hurt? No. It was meant to imply no one is reading Motor Crush and Team Batgirls fans for the most part didn't move over. Maybe they will in trade or maybe they will just continue posting edits on tumblr.

Sandfox

Any+Objections.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I dropped it after like 3 issues. That whole world just felt so cheesy and silly to me. Plus I really didn't like Domino as a character.

Wanderer5

So close to Metal! :D

And god, I had fallen in love in Prince of Persia 2008 again. What a really beautiful game with a pretty nice flow to it.

Doesn't he go on trial?

Nah. At the end of War Zone, he
breaks Cole out of jail after her sentencing then Wolverine helps her get away while Frank distracts the Avengers. They just locked Frank away in a cell somewhere with access to all the books and tv shows he could ever want.

Top Bottom