• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Messi, you're good at this: What new Bombshells are releasing this year? I know Katana, Black Canary, Talia and Bumblebee are all showing up in the comic soon but they all already have statues, right(aside from maybe Talia)?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
http://www.booksamillion.com/search?&query=generations+fried+pie&where=All&sort=release_date

Code:
[IMG]http://covers4.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/53/252/298/1532522983.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://covers3.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/53/252/297/1532522975.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://covers2.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/53/252/294/1532522940.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://covers4.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/53/252/296/1532522967.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://covers1.booksamillion.com/covers/bam/1/53/252/295/1532522959.jpg[/IMG]

I'm mad as fuck those aren't the standard covers.

I'm in love.

Messi

Messi, you're good at this: What new Bombshells are releasing this year? I know Katana, Black Canary, Talia and Bumblebee are all showing up in the comic soon but they all already have statues, right(aside from maybe Talia)?

Starfire and Jessica Cruz are early 2018

Vixen is in November

Talia doesn't have a statue yet.

Got it. Any good things to grab?

The Sixth Gun is pretty cool. Doing his own characters, Bunn is quite good.

The first 25 issues of Wasteland are fantastic, but unfortunately the second half lost some momentum and had issues with the change over of artist so I could only really recommend that at your own risk.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Do I gotta read all the Generation titles to get into Legacy? The only one I read, the Thor one, seemed to have a big hook for Legacy.

Sandfox

Do I gotta read all the Generation titles to get into Legacy? The only one I read, the Thor one, seemed to have a big hook for Legacy.
They all tie into what the characters will doing in their books during Legacy in some way, but you don't have to read them.

shingi70

Banned
The manga and to a slightly lesser extent the anime is really good. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from I've heard it takes a dump on the source material.

Some parts are okay, but for the most part it's really bad. It makes me wonder why didn't Netflix just commission it as a tv series.

caliph95

Everybody should watch the movie it's very entertaining
They all seem to tie in and give hooks for their series and the only one I didn't care for was the hulk one

Owzers

Watched gotg2, liked it more than the first but I still am not a fan of these cape plots. It's a charming, fun movie with a 5/10 story and avoided a whiny Ronan.

Finished Daredevil S3 (and friends). Pretty dope ending. Can't help but feel that Luke got shafted in terms of character focus and story. Also felt he got the "strong guy" team designation, which sucks. Also the final fight gave me similar vibes to the 1990 TMNT movie. Not sure why. All in all a solid series, even if it does feel like more of a mishmash of continuing storylines as opposed to its own thing.

VanWinkle

Finished Watchmen last night. Whew. I mean, it really was pretty incredible, but I doubt I'll ever read it again. At most, I will get it out and reference it while reading Doomsday Clock.

Now re-reading The Omega Men. Amazing stuff.

Sandfox

Finished Watchmen last night. Whew. I mean, it really was pretty incredible, but I doubt I'll ever read it again. At most, I will get it out and reference it while reading Doomsday Clock.

That pretty much how I feel about the book.

Finished Daredevil S3 (and friends). Pretty dope ending. Can't help but feel that Luke got shafted in terms of character focus and story. Also felt he got the "strong guy" team designation, which sucks. Also the final fight gave me similar vibes to the 1990 TMNT movie. Not sure why. All in all a solid series, even if it does feel like more of a mishmash of continuing storylines as opposed to its own thing.

I just finished it, too. It was alright. Really looking forward to the Punisher series. That's supposed to be dropping this year, right?

I just finished it, too. It was alright. Really looking forward to the Punisher series. That's supposed to be dropping this year, right?

Yeah

My big problems are 1) Too much time expositing, not enough time building character bonds. Matt and Jessica along with Luke and Danny are great character pairings. You also have some good stuff with Jessica and Luke. The rest sort of fall flat. My second is that by the end of the show, it feels like it was just a bridge between each show's seasons, with Jessica feeling like there was an artificial stopgap. Like, she ends up exactly where she started basically.

The show doesn't really feel like it has an identity of its own. Hopefully the next season (assuming there is one) rectifies this.

The show doesn't really feel like it has an identity of its own. Hopefully the next season (assuming there is one) rectifies this.

That was bound to happen, though. All of these characters had their solo series to flesh out who they are. This series was a big mish-mosh of their personalities colliding. There was more conflict between them than cohesion. It didn't really feel like a team show just yet.

That was bound to happen, though. All of these characters had their solo series to flesh out who they are. This series was a big mish-mosh of their personalities colliding. There was more conflict between them than cohesion. It didn't really feel like a team show just yet.

Yeah but then you have The Avengers, a movie that unified multiple characters and plotlines from their respective films, yet felt like it had its own identity.

Einchy

Wait, how did you just read Watchmen!?

VanWinkle

Two days until I can buy Batman Rebirth Deluxe and New Teen Titans Omni Vol 1 on IST. Super pumped.

Wait, how did you just read Watchmen!?

Like how am I just reading it now? I have no idea. I've had the book for over a year, but I just didn't feel very compelled.

Dalek

So far Thor was the only one that seems to tie into Legacy #1 but that's because of
Odin

The others are basically the same story. "Present Day" hero mysteriously finds themselves in the past with their predecessor-they have an adventure and learn something about themselves.

Cho saw that life was really hard for Bruce in a way he had never considered.
Jean saw what could happen if she learned to control the Phoenix.
Laura basically had a reunion with her "dad" and it inspired him to be more compassionate to Amiko.

Einchy

Two days until I can buy Batman Rebirth Deluxe and New Teen Titans Omni Vol 1 on IST. Super pumped.

Like how am I just reading it now? I have no idea. I've had the book for over a year, but I just didn't feel very compelled.

It's just that Watchmen is, like, comics 101. Pretty sure you get a copy of Watchmen free if you even think about reading comics.

Have you read Dark Knight Returns? That's another that everyone has read.

VanWinkle

It's just that Watchmen is, like, comics 101. Pretty sure you get a copy of Watchmen free if you even think about reading comics.

Haha. True. I waited a really long time to read TDKR, too. That one ended up being really disappointing for me. But Watchmen was VERY good (but way too dreary for me).

Einchy

Haha. True. I waited a really long time to read TDKR, too. That one ended up being really disappointing for me. But Watchmen was VERY good (but way too dreary for me).

Yeah, Watchmen is great. It's one of those that everyone loves so much so you think it might not live up to the hype but it totally does.

Also, now you will understand SO many references. A whole new world just opened up in front of you.

VanWinkle

Yeah, Watchmen is great. It's one of those that everyone loves so much so you think it might not live up to the hype but it totally does.

Also, now you will understand SO many references. A whole new world just opened up in front of you.

Yeah, while I knew that Tom King used in Omega Men the same kind of cues that Moore did in Watchmen, I had no idea how closely he follows its format. And then I recalled parts in Rebirth One Shot #1 that were homages to Watchmen.

Sure. But who wrote a major motion picture versus who wrote a Netflix TV series? Bigger budget on Avengers, I'm guessing.

I don't think any of that matters. We live in an age where some TV shows have budgets on a cinematic level (Game of Thrones). Granted, this didn't, but that is a reality, and so I don't think that stuff has as much of an impact anymore. Simply put, the vision for the show was to be connective tissue and nothing more. And that's saddening to me.

Einchy

I hated Watchmen lol. Good that you enjoyed it though. I understand my feeling is not normal.

giphy.gif

Simply put, the vision for the show was to be connective tissue and nothing more. And that's saddening to me.

It seems like they're reaching a saturation point with Marvel shows. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were all great. Iron Fist was meh and Defenders was bleh. Netflix found a successful niche with Marvel but now they're tapping that vein a little too much and it's starting to show as they release an inferior product.

It seems like they're reaching a saturation point with Marvel shows. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were all great. Iron Fist was meh and Defenders was bleh. Netflix found a successful niche with Marvel but now they're tapping that vein a little too much and it's starting to show as they release an inferior product.

I don't think it's that they're tapping the vein. IF failed because it had a bad showrunner. Defenders didn't fail, but it didn't live up to its potential. It's the ultimate failure of shared universes when used wrong: force a connection without building it naturally, and it doesn't work. The Hand should not have been a universal villain. It should have been a DD villain, and maybe IF, but forcing a connection between all of them doesn't work so hot.

Top Bottom