• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

IDK, Morrison said this tho:

Nameless is my first collaboration with Chris Burnham since we wrapped up our run on Batman and it’s our first no-holds barred horror comic—a disturbing anti-human voyage to the hopeless outer limits of cosmic nihilism and cruelty, in the company of six doomed astronauts on a mission to save our planet from an approaching asteroid. Needless to say, they get far more than they bargained for.

In my superhero comics, I’ve tended to be a cheerleader for the human spirit, but Nameless gives me a rare opportunity to articulate a long-withheld sneering contempt for our miserable species, with its self-serving, sentimental, suicidal self-delusions and its greedy, willful ignorance.

Inspired by the dark side occultism of the Tunnels of Set, by pessimist philosophers like Thomas Ligotti and Ray Brassier, and by our culture’s unstoppable, almost erotic, obsession with its own destruction, Nameless is a light-hearted romp through the sunlit meadows of a baby unicorn’s daydreams!

Not.

But after Batman Inc, I'm not gonna miss a chance for a new Morrison/Burnham/Fairbairn comic

also, oh right, Tokyo Ghost. Uh, I'll slide that in with the rest of Remender's comics, they occupy a similar spot in my head

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnng looking forward to it. A more Darker Morrison story is gonna be interesting to read.
How'd he get the larvae on her though?

Vehicles in general. I was reading it earlier and thought this guy was an architect or designer doing comic art.
If I recall correctly, he has said that he focused on drawing tight vehicles and motorcycles to differentiate himself from other artists. He's definitely impressive on them

fauxtrot

Banned
Came home to the copy of Copra that fauxtrot sent me! Thanks homie!

Bro-Hug.gif

tim1138

Punk Rock Jesus is great. Been wanting to reread it so the perfect excuse to double dip on the HC. Is it oversized?

Also yeah the black and white is perfect.
I've really been like any black and white comics lately

It's oversized and amazing. There's over 100 pages of bonus art and stuff.

1) Casanova Acedia w/ backups by Michael fuckin' Chabon
2) Nameless by Morrison and Burnham
3) Hawkeye by Lemire and Perez
4) Tokyo Ghost by Remender and Murphy
5) Howard the Duck by Chipper and Quinoa
*) Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by North and Henderson

I can't even really name any other confirmed new books, though.

Totally forgot about Casanova.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy shit at that She-Hulk preview. Amazing.

Would post the pages in here, but I'm not sure of the etiquette. Looks amazing.

Edit: What the hell, here you go:

She Hulk is high on my top ten list of the year, people.

Was just gonna post the pics. Spread that She-Hulk love, man. There's like 4 of us reading it, so I'm all for exposing more people to it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's oversized and amazing. There's over 100 pages of bonus art and stuff.
Totally forgot about Casanova.

Yeah, I'm really excited about the conversation, if any, Casanova creates around here. I still can't get over Chabon contributing to the book.

Edit: Definitely meant to hit Edit on my previous post-- "Damn it."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Are there multiple formats for DCs Deluxe Edition Line?

The DC - The New Frontier Deluxe is announced to be far smaller as a ordinary trade...

All Deluxe Editions are the same size. New Frontier Deluxe Edition will for sure be the same size as all other DC Deluxe Editions.

Speaking of Burnham, Nixon's Pals by he and Joe Casey is getting a hardcover reprint in color next year.

Woo! I've been looking forward to that getting a reprint!
Have you read Officer Downe, by the way? I've been meaning to get that for forever but still haven't read it.

The interview after that scene takes place is too good.

fauxtrot

Banned
fauxtrot's 10 of 2014

10) The Walking Dead

This book is heating up guys, and dare I say it... I think we have another classic arc in the making. If things keep going in the direction they are and Kirkman can keep dropping my jaw with swerves Vince Russo would cream himself over, it'll be in my top 5 next year. Power through All Out War and you'll be rewarded!

9) Starlight

Don't let your gut reaction to Mark Millar's name on the cover keep you from buying this book! It was short and sweet, with incredible art by Goran Parlov (who is evoking Moebius here without feeling like he's ripping him off). Seriously, try it out before it turns into a movie so you can tell all your friends how much better the original was!

8) Shutter

Another great Image book with a great set of characters... you know I like my female leads. This one might not be on many top 10 lists this year, but it deserves to be on mine.

7) Rocket Raccoon

Scottie Young has always been a favorite of mine, and now that he's off a book based on a property I just couldn't care about (The Wizard of Oz) and onto something he could really run wild with, I couldn't be happier. He's also proven that he can write an entertaining story, and I've been enjoying the issues with Jake Parker's art just as much as the others.

6) Zero

This book as woven each issue together so beautifully, and there aren't many other books that have punched me in the gut as hard as this one has. Kot has gained a truck-load of my goodwill thanks to this series.

5) Southern Bastards

Aaron is churning out another classic, and it's great to see this happen in real time since I wasn't around during the release of Scalped. LaTour's art fits this book like a glove, and I feel like I can smell the South whenever I read an issue.

4) Hellboy/BPRD

Mignola, Arcudi and team have been on fire for over 10 years now... it's easy to look over Mignolaverse releases since they have been a staple of a lot of people's top 10 lists for so long, but they deserve the accolades. Read this stuff if you haven't already!

3) Multiversity

It's been talked about here to death, but each issue has been very different than the last and it really goes to show you how amazing Morrison is. Looking forward to its conclusion, as well as The Nameless in 2015!

2) COPRA

Michel Fiffe is an underrated creator that I hope gets more recognition in 2015... I hope he's next year's Stjepan Sejic. All-New Ultimates was a disaster, but COPRA more than makes up for it and gives me full confidence in his future in this industry.

1) Ms. Marvel

The Amazing Spider-Man for a new generation... this is the most Marvel thing Marvel done in a long time.

Batgirl gets my "Don't Blow It in 2015" Award, which is kind of like when Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize to urge him to not be a tool during his presidency (and look how successful that maneuver was!)... this book has a lot of hype behind it, but I am starting to get tired of these one-off, style over substance issues. I love what this book could be, not what it is right now.

frye

Speaking of Millar, the first issue of his run on The Authority has two rapes lmao

Lots of vile stuff, but oddly readable at the same time

e: also I much prefer Quitely's work here than on those first few X-Men issues

Messi

Speaking of Millar, the first issue of his run on The Authority has two rapes lmao

What is with Millar and rape?

The inking is very heavy in those New X-Men issues and tends to erode some of Quitely finer details. Jamie Grant inked his work for awhile on We3 and All-Star Superman, but eventually he said, "Flex Mentallo I inked myself...why don't I just do that!?" and that's what he's been doing ever since(Batman and Robin, Batman #700, Jupiter's Legacy, Pax Americana)

Zombine

Banned
I honestly don't know if my heart can take it if Tokyo Ghost doesn't come out. It's really the only 2015 book I'm looking forward to right now. I'm obsessed with Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Murphy's art...so this is basically the book of my dreams.

Filthy Slug

When does G Willow Wilson start on X-Men? I don't want to accidentally pick up an issue before she's writing.

Hold up, seriously? That's fucking awesome, and now we can all forget Brian Wood's X-men ever happened.

fauxtrot

Banned
I touched on this briefly in my Top 10 post, but I need to get this off my chest.

Rereading Ms. Marvel (for like the 5th time) over the weekend as well as trying to keep up with the Strangers in Paradise Book Club has somehow soured my opinion of Batgirl... it's still one of my most-anticipated monthly comics, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it has absolutely nothing to say. I used to think the villain in the first issue was some clever social commentary, but now I'm beginning to think that was me reading farther into it than the creators intended. And where are the little moments that help these characters feel real... where is the heart?

Help. :(

Messi

I touched on this briefly in my Top 10 post, but I need to get this off my chest.

Rereading Ms. Marvel (for like the 5th time) over the weekend as well as trying to keep up with the Strangers in Paradise Book Club has somehow soured my opinion of Batgirl... it's still one of my most-anticipated monthly comics, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it has absolutely nothing to say. I used to think the villain in the first issue was some clever social commentary, but now I'm beginning to think that was me reading farther into it than the creators intended. And where are the little moments that help these characters feel real... where is the heart?

Help. :(

Its a book being written about Babs that should be about Stephanie. This is not Babs.

It has lovely art with little to nothing backing it up story wise. I would loved to have seen what Babs Tarr and Gail Simone would have been able to do if DC had let her do her fun Batgirl book.

fauxtrot

Banned
Its a book being written about Babs that should be about Stephanie. This is not Babs.

It has lovely art with little to nothing backing it up story wise. I would loved to have seen what Babs Tarr and Gail Simone would have been able to do if DC had let her do her fun Batgirl book.

I just hope the series one-shots end sooner than later so I can see what this team can do with a 4-6 issue arc... I'm in for at least that long. If they don't show me some depth by then, the book will slowly slide down in my Wednesday reading-order and eventually get dropped all together.

No one remembers what his run is like after they read it. Including me and I read it last night to see what all the antihype was about

I was forgetting Wood's X-Men as I was actually reading it. Pages would go by and a minute later, you couldn't ask me what happen or who did what or why or what the hell ever.

How about Bendis goes back and does some work on Scarlet.

please

:(

I'm betting never. I think the best we can hope for at this point is one issue per year. Next trade by 2018.

Pushing boundaries and good taste
right off of a cliff

I used to think the villain in the first issue was some clever social commentary, but now I'm beginning to think that was me reading farther into it than the creators intended. And where are the little moments that help these characters feel real... where is the heart?

DC editorial killed it.

Srsly, I'm with you. I really dig the artwork, but the story is killing the new Batgirl for me. I'll give it another issue or two, but if I don't feel better about it by then, it's so dropped. Gotham Academy has usurped Batgirl's place in the world of girly hijinks.

Messi

I'm betting never. I think the best we can hope for at this point is one issue per year. Next trade by 2018.

Pushing boundaries and good taste
right off of a cliff

DC editorial killed it.

Srsly, I'm with you. I really dig the artwork, but the story is killing the new Batgirl for me. I'll give it another issue or two, but if I don't feel better about it by then, it's so dropped. Gotham Academy has usurped Batgirl's place in the world of girly hijinks.

That place would be below Harley right? No one comes close to Harley for madcap hijinks. Its where the term came from for this place.

Village

as disgusting as this may sound rape seems to be his " I don't know what to do button " If he wanted to meaningfully address these dark topics, there are ways to do this where he isn't constantly called out. Where people can respect him for it.

Messi

as disgusting as this may sound rape seems to be his " I don't know what to do button " If he wanted to meaningfully address these dark topics, there are ways to do this where he isn't constantly called out. Where people can respect him for it.

Its kind of disgusting honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom