• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Right, time to update and post about my top 10 comics of the year...starting with #10-8
I haven't done big write ups in a long ass time so apologies if some of the writings are vague =X

#10 Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe
RatQueens_06-1.png

Featuring great art by Roc Upchurch, Rat Queens follows Dee, Hannah, Betty and Viola 4 women who band together to take on monsters and odd jobs to make a profit...while vandalizing and ruining everyone's day in the process.
While I don't much like Dark comedy, the series manages to stay entertaining and fun throughout its initial 6 issues.
This would actually be the 3rd series where S&S is combined with humor, the first was the IDW Dungeons and Dragons comic by John Rogers, and the other is Pathfinder. I haven't read Skullkickers much to see if it falls in the same category but I wouldn't be surprised if it was

#9 Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour
SB-TRADE-COVERvol1.jpg

I mainly read this because it's by Jason Aaron, whose non super hero work I enjoy a lot more.
I think what helped make me stick to this comic more was that it was a badass old guy with a stick beating up assholesbastards cuz they hit too close to home and forced his hand.
The first story arc concluded with issue #4 where we see Earl confront Coach Boss ending with
Earl dieing
, with issue #5 the story shifts to focus on Coach Boss and all our initial impressions of him flip a 180;
we become more sympathetic towards him as it appears he regrets what he did to Earl. ...but will still see him that way by the end of issue #8? How will Earl's daughter react to his death and will she seek out revenge?

#8 The Goon: Occasion of Revenge by Eric Powell
21202.jpg

Eric finally continues the macabre misadventures of The Goon in what may be the finale to The Goon's ongoing struggle with the many forces that want to take over his town.
The Zombie Priest's allies have come to take over The Goon's town due to them finding it a great source of magical power, but The Goon and his allies can only hold them off for so long before they become overwhelmed.
Eric delivers a great story here backed by fantastic art with a Noir feel to them, the finale of this mini was shocking and things are only gonna get tougher for the big guy from here on out, but will he be able to make it out alive?

Zombine

Banned
I just found out that the Silver Surfer TPB only has 5 issues? :/

I'll have to skip that. That money can go towards my Starman Omnibus fund.

Yeah but those are 5 really good issues. Shit I think All New X-Men which is boring as fuck at this point is releasing with 4.

I've loved reading all your lists. I finally managed to pull up one by setting up a tournament in Challonge and pitting up my top 25 books against each other. I got a bit lazy with some of the write ups though.

TOP 10
  1. Deadly Class
    It's Remender at it's best with a book that feels truly personal. Every single issue has been incredibly gripping and touching with solid character work and astounding art by Wes Craig. This was my favorite comicbook of the year and the one I await the most each month. It's just that compelling.
  2. Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
    James Roberts writes hands down the best team book in the market. For such a big cast, this book manages to develop them all incredibly while at the same time giving the Transformers Universe a new depth. After the somewhat dull crossover Dark Cybertron, the "Second Season" of MTMTE is firing on all cylinders, with new and unexpected character additions and all around sci-fi fun. I recommend this to even those not fond of Transformers in general, maybe specially to them. In my opinion, this is the single best thing to ever happen to the franchise, and throughout this year, it has continued to be one of the best books each month. Who needs girly hijinks when you've got robot hijinks to spare.
  3. Afterlife with Archie
    Not being American, I had little to no exposure to the "Archie Universe" before this. (I knew about the classic love triangle and had seen the Sabrina TV show) Even then, this book won me over completely. Francavilla draws the hell out of horror scenarios and character interactions. This book builds atmosphere like no other.
  4. Zero
    Each issue Kot birngs something new and different to the table. I love this series so much. A compelling main story told thorugh many artists, with each issue being at the same time mostly standalone.
  5. Southern Bastards
    Scalped Aaron is back at full speed and together with Latour they are doing something really special. The first two arcs have been stupendous. It is bound to do great things.
  6. Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Even being cancelled, this series managed to tell one incredibly hilarious story (Aside from those two fill-in issues, the second one sucked). The jokes and characters really got to me. I'm really grateful that this book existed.
  7. Multiversity
    Morrisson doing his thing is always bound to be interesting at least, but Pax Americana and Thunderworld were really something to behold (The other issues were good too, but I enjoyed the last two much more).
  8. Secret Avengers
    It's like Hawkeye but with M.O.D.O.K..
    Secret Avengers is amazing.
  9. Ms. Marvel
    Every month this book is delightful in and out. Best new superhero of the decade.
  10. Sex Criminals
    I just can't stop laughing. There is also some great character drama that glues it all together.

Also worth mentioning (In no particular order):

Uncanny Avengers
Manhattan Projects
Moon Knight
Batman and Robin
Batman
Low
Saga
Avengers/New Avengers
Swamp Thing
Hawkeye
Rat Queens
Black Science
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Loki: Agent of Asgard
The Wicked+The Divine
She-Hulk
Velvet
Thor
Birthright

I will follow Ms Marvel up with... Immortal Iron Fist, I guess. Fraction/Aja goodness, right?

I read the first half of that run last month. That shit was amazing.

I just found out that the Silver Surfer TPB only has 5 issues? :/

I'll have to skip that. That money can go towards my Starman Omnibus fund.

It's five issues and an All-New Marvel NOW Point One story. More goodness to read than, say, the She-Hulk trade.

Yeah but those are 5 really good issues. Shit I think All New X-Men which is boring as fuck at this point is releasing with 4.

It's five issues and an All-New Marvel NOW Point One story. More goodness to read than, say, the She-Hulk trade.

True, but I've already read the first three issues and I don't like the thin Marvel TPBs. I've only read my Moon Knight TPB a couple of times and it already feels like a thick single issue.

That's what happens when you read 3/4 of the book on Marvel Unlimited lol

Yeah, stuck in a weird position. No worries though, I plan to start reading X-Statix soon. That should keep me occupied.

Zombine

Banned
Lol Messi if you don't get it you need to turn in your membership from the ComicGAF ballers club. What would Freeza or Cheska think?

Tomodachi

Hey comicsgaf <3, I need your educated opinion.
I'm a comics newbie, I started reading Marvel stuff this summer with MU, still reading right now and I'm having a blast. In the past the only comics I ever read were Batman Year One and TDKR. I just noticed comixology's DC sale and wanted to get one of those collections, but I'm not sure which one. For someone with a (very) limited expertise on DC characters and storyarcs (I only know some guys from the movies or the arkham games) would you suggest The Long Halloween or Final Crisis? Any other collection more worthy than those? I'm choosing between those two because they're pretty long for the price and because I'm getting to know both Loeb and Grant Morrison and I really liked what I read from them so far (the spider-man/daredevil/hulk "colors" series and new x-men, respectively) but I'm open to alternatives. I'm just afraid some collections might prove too impenetrable for someone not really at home with DC superheroes.
Thanks!

I'm a comics newbie, I started reading Marvel stuff this summer with MU, still reading right now and I'm having a blast. In the past the only comics I ever read were Batman Year One and TDKR. I just noticed comixology's DC sale and wanted to get one of those collections, but I'm not sure which one. For someone with a (very) limited expertise on DC characters and storyarcs (I only know some guys from the movies or the arkham games) would you suggest The Long Halloween or Final Crisis? Any other collection more worthy than those? I'm choosing between those two because they're pretty long for the price and because I'm getting to know both Loeb and Grant Morrison and I really liked what I read from them so far (the spider-man/daredevil/hulk "colors" series and new x-men, respectively) but I'm open to alternatives. I'm just afraid some collections might prove too impenetrable for someone not really at home with DC superheroes.
Thanks!

Based on your previous experience i'd highly recommend The Long Halloween. Its very good and easy for new readers.

Final Crisis relies heavily on the DC universe for the story its wanting to tell. I wouldn't recommend it to you. Instead I'd highly recommend All Star Superman. One of the best superman stories ever, 12 issues for $5 and and again very new reader friendly

Thanks!

Instead of Final Crisis, check out All-Star Superman. It's fantastic and very easy to get into.

The Long Halloween will be fine too. Batman Volume 1: The Court of the Owls and Batman: The Killing Joke are also easy to jump into.

Yay, holidays. I don't have to report back to work till the 5th of Jan.

Here is my list of "Top ten comics I read for the first time in 2014".

10) Fear Agent - Not going to lie, the amazing library editions were a large part of what caught my interest first about the books. But it turned out to be a great comic with amazing art and settings. I think the main arc should have been shortened a bit, but the payoff at the end was great. A fun read overall.

09) Six-Gun Gorilla - Think Truman show set in a war zone. Very interesting concept and a perfectly paced comic. Didn't hit you over the head with it's ideas and didn't overstay it's welcome.

08) Daredevil (Mark Waid) - I hadn't read any Daredevil before but I really enjoyed this series. Very inviting to new readers. Brilliant art. The second half of the series felt a little longer than the first but it continued to hold my interest till the last issue.

07) The Incal - Well, this showed me why everyone talks about Moebius in glowing terms. Jodorowsky writes a great sci-fi setting and story. It actually reads like a space opera instead of a space soap opera.

06) Guardians of the Galaxy (Abnett and Lanning) (as part of the Annihilation through Thanos Imperative run) - The GOTG movie trailer actually pushed me get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and to start reading superhero comics. Likeable and distinctive characters, long but well paced story arcs with a proper conclusion and just plain fun reading.

05) Queen and Country (Greg Rucka) - Think 'Yes, Minister' meets 'James Bond'. The action is centered as much around mission planning and bureaucracy as action in the field. Each mission makes us feel like we are getting a small glimpse into a much larger machine, and I think very few books/comics/movies pull that off successfully. Rucka also manages to avoid falling into a tropey procedural rut. The only criticisms can be that the art is a bit inconsistent at times (many different artists worked on it) and that there are times the comic does not feel self-contained.

04) Blacksad - I don't know how much more Noir you can get than Samuel Spade or John Blacksad. Using animal faces instead of human faces lets Canales and Guarnido play with our preconceptions of assigning character traits to different animals and allows for some brilliant storytelling. Lighting technique is so important to Noir and the art in the book perfectly captures that.

03) Sandman Mystery Theatre (Wagner and Seagle) - Based on the original Golden Age Sandman, but you don't need any prior knowledge going into this series. It is set in post prohibition New York and explores the deep dark corners of the city (and I am not using that word in a Nolan Batman sense). It touches on issues ranging from homosexuality to incest to racism and segregation in the arcs that I've read. The lead characters are a delight and their relationship is well written and handled in a very mature way with actual character progression. I haven't been able to track down the final few issues but I have a feeling this might move higher up my favourites list once I am done reading it.

02) Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck - I had read a few Carl Barks Donald Duck collections before reading this book but I wouldn't call any of them required reading. The book is only 12 issues long but is so dense that it should take you a long time to read . The art is brilliant with great attention to detail, and so is the story telling. The comic does exactly what the is says on the cover. It provides a great look into what shaped the Scrooge McDuck we know.

01) Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison) - I started reading the series form the second TPB, "The Painting that Ate Paris" and I was hooked from the first issue. I don't need to say much about the series, almost everyone on here has read it. (And many with me when I was reading the omnibus - that was fun). The series has some hilarious moments, including the Doom Force issue.

Tomodachi

Based on your previous experience i'd highly recommend The Long Halloween. Its very good and easy for new readers.

Final Crisis relies heavily on the DC universe for the story its wanting to tell. I wouldn't recommend it to you. Instead I'd highly recommend All Star Superman. One of the best superman stories ever, 12 issues for $5 and and again very new reader friendly

Instead of Final Crisis, check out All-Star Superman. It's fantastic and very easy to get into.

The Long Halloween will be fine too. Batman Volume 1: The Court of the Owls and Batman: The Killing Joke are also easy to jump into.

Thanks a lot guys. You got me interested in All-Star Superman so I might just take both.

Messi

Go Premium Format or go home.

Premium format is too big for my living space. I guess I am not baller enough. I must go home :(. But that Harley premium will haunt me for ever.

Is it so bad that I like the MCU hot toys?

I eagerly await seeing the sexy Thanos shots.

Cheska

Premium format is too big for my living space. I guess I am not baller enough. I must go home :(. But that Harley premium will haunt me for ever.

Is it so bad that I like the MCU hot toys?

I eagerly await seeing the sexy Thanos shots.
Not at all! Hot Toys are incredibly popular, not to mention really well done.

I have re-watched Young Justice, and i still find it very good. Although season was much more superior.

Just random question: With regards to New Genesis (Orion and co.), how come they don´t stop all the evil in the universe with their power? They do seem very capable and have the power to do so. How come they only stop Darksied, and not for example the Reach?

Messi

Don't worry brah I plan on it. Just gotta finish up Evil Within and then I plan on making my post

Your family should sell that home and get one in South Florida!

Then we could be best m8s.

Sell house. Buy statues

Then how would I go to the greatest country on earth. To scope out real comic stores. Eat taco bell and drink dew. Hang out at 7/11s drinking slurpees and eating taquitos. Damn son.

CBTech

Just read the first few issues of All-New X-men, I'm really liking it right now. Bringing in the past X-men is a lot cooler of an idea than I first thought.

The only work I've read by Bendis is Ultimate Spider-man and these issues of All New X-men. I've heard that he is screwing up GotG right now, but what is the general consensus on his writing? Of what I've read, I think he's pretty enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom