• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
I didn't know when we were going to Community it would become an actual thread like they had for the SHOW Community, yugh.

What's the Big Bang Theory OT like? I bet every post has a laugh track.

Anyways, it's only a couple days left until this book comes out, and it's definitely going to be a last minute gift to myself:

1c46c641-8e0e-45f4-9abe-93d99cdfaeea-1.jpg

My hype levels are strong for this one. I will be picking up all 12 volumes as they release.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
digital its Comixology and the deals they do almost every day or so.

Trades its instocktrades.com

Floppies? eh get a pull list at your local comic book shop?

If you know what singles you want in advance consider DCBS (Direct Comic Book Subscription)

For back issues I've had good luck with My Comic Shop dot com

For trades, as gketter said, use Instock Trades dot com

Lastly, for random collections you can sometimes score nice lots on eBay.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Boogiepop

So I really enjoyed volume 2 of Powers definitive. Still not exactly high art or anything, but it at least ramped up quite nicely. Also, before I forget to ask again, did Warren Ellis have any/much input on that ride-along chapter? Seems weird for a writer to be writing a different, real writer. Oh, and I definitely feel like the weakest point of the book is the "experimental" layouts and stuff, just doesn't pull them off too well IMO. Also, still not much of what I'd call real, intense detective work stuff going on. Like, stuff just kind of falls in their laps. Though that's almost certainly at least partially me reading way too much Detective Conan/playing Ace Attorney stuff and that sort of thing, to be fair.

Anyways, it's only a couple days left until this book comes out, and it's definitely going to be a last minute gift to myself:

My hype levels are strong for this one. I will be picking up all 12 volumes as they release.

What is it?

So I really enjoyed volume 2 of Powers definitive. Still not exactly high art or anything, but it at least ramped up quite nicely.

Powers is a modern classic. It's one of the books I'll always have on my pull-list.

So I really enjoyed volume 2 of Powers definitive. Still not exactly high art or anything, but it at least ramped up quite nicely. Also, before I forget to ask again, did Warren Ellis have any/much input on that ride-along chapter? Seems weird for a writer to be writing a different, real writer. Oh, and I definitely feel like the weakest point of the book is the "experimental" layouts and stuff, just doesn't pull them off too well IMO. Also, still not much of what I'd call real, intense detective work stuff going on. Like, stuff just kind of falls in their laps. Though that's almost certainly at least partially me reading way too much Detective Conan/playing Ace Attorney stuff and that sort of thing, to be fair.

I don't think he really had any input besides agreeing to be in it, I'm sure Bendis agreed to be in the recent Nailbiter series. *winkwink*

tim1138

Huh, I just remembered that I have a copy of the Life and Times of Martha Washington on my shelf that I haven't started yet.

IST has a big Marvel trades sale going on right now. I'm struggling to find stuff on sale that piques my interest, but I noticed that Slott's Silver Surfer is among the discounted books, for those of you who haven't picked it up yet.

1. New Avengers- Jonathan Hickman, Kev Walker, Valero Schiti
-
  • One of my most anticipated comics every month. Hickman manages to craft a tail of what happens to gods become kings. When everything you fight for is challenged. What happens when you cross that line you swore you would never cross. How do you defeat the enable. Everything Dies

2. Southern Bastards- Jason Aaron and Jason Latour
– Aaron brings what made scalped so good to what he knows best the south. One of the best written comics that puts you into the setting of craw county and makes you feel like you are there. Latour really complements everything in the is book. This is going to be master piece

img_5217.png

3. Ms Marvel- G Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
- One of the best super hero debuts I remember in a long while. This book proves that teenage superheroes aren’t hard to write. Kamala Kahn is the new age peter parker we deserve. Great mix of teenage problems and superhero hijinks. Alphonas art is expressive as ever and fits kamala superpowers perfeclty

4. Multiversity- Grant Morrison and others
-Grant Morrison’s magnum opus and literal mic drop on the comics medium. Each issue is dense and can be its on ongoing. The book transcends the pages its printed on and one again proves why Morrison is the master.

5. . Sex Criminals by Matt fraction and Chip zdarsky
- Easily the funniest comic book on the stands. Fraction and zdarsky make a comic book about time travel and sex a deeply personal character study. This book didn’t need to be this deep but I’m glad it is.

6. Deadly Class By Rick Remender and wes Craig
- Combing teenage angst and deadly assassins plus amazing art and you get one of the best image book being published. Wes Crags coming out party is this book ass he delivrs stunning page after page.

moon-knight-2014-2-punch.jpg

7. Moon Knight- Warren Ellis and Declan Shavley
- Ellis crafts one and done stories that are easy re readable. Turing marc specter into a noir detective was a n inspired idea. Shavely really pushes the comic medium with some of his layout and really nails the theme each issue was going for.

8. Zero by Ales Kot and others
. – One of the most dynamic comics on the stands today, Kot takes the spy genre and flips it on his head. Each artist brings their own sesneabilites to the story Kot is weaving. each issue packs its own punch.

9. God hates Astronauts- Ryan brown – absurdly funny, ryan brown comic about superpowered beings, cheesberger eating tigers and alien crabs is a must read.

10. Batman and Robin by Peter tomasi and Patrick Gleason
- This book really hit tis stride after the death of Damien . Tomasi really dived into the push of batman dn the man behind the cowl. Pairing him up with a new character really helped to explore batman and the greif he was bearing. Gleason really shines here , especially in the silent isse was wes no easy task. Tomasi and gleason really are a great team.

Boogiepop

I have received greatness in the form of an early Christmas present! Fairly shortly after I became super interested in picking up the series at some point, with absolutely no discussion on the matter whatsoever actually, my friend actually got me the Absolute edition of V for Vendetta! Hooray!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh no. Oh no no.
I'M TRYING TO SAVE MONEY. WHY MUST THIS HAPPEN TO ME.
30% off.

Someone please tell me that buying that Artist Edition would totally spoil Hellboy for me and I definitely shouldn't get it until I've both bought and read all of the Hellboy series. Please.

Huh, I just remembered that I have a copy of the Life and Times of Martha Washington on my shelf that I haven't started yet.

At least I finished the first chapter or so.

Guys. Please.

Cheska

Soooo for everyone who hates BMB in here, do you guys read All New X-Men? Because, DAMN!
"I think--I think I'm going to hug you"
that bit got me good ;_;

Totally man, although if Rucka came back I would literally jump for joy upon reading the news.

Edmondson and Rucka on the two books would be killer, give me an editor's job!

I've been reading through Rucka's run again recently, and I'd go ape if Rucka returned. As different as Edmondson's interpretation as different is, I really prefer Rucka's vision of the Punisher.

I doubt Rucka will return, but if he did, he would have to bring back Marco Checchetto. hile Gerald really does a stylized reality well, Chechetto get's the dark and rough.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, Rucka back on a title would be killer.

I'd love it if Rucka did a MAX title and Edmondson did the MU title. Or they had concurrent MU titles.

CBTech

I've been reading through Rucka's run again recently, and I'd go ape if Rucka returned. As different as Edmondson's interpretation as different is, I really prefer Rucka's vision of the Punisher.

I doubt Rucka will return, but if he did, he would have to bring back Marco Checchetto. hile Gerald really does a stylized reality well, Chechetto get's the dark and rough.

I had zero interest in the Punisher before seeing Chechetto's art and design. Actually, I always thought the Punisher was damn and just too edgy for the longest time. I'm glad I read Rucka's run. It made me really appreciate the character, though I'm afraid of how other writers handle the character.

I read the first couple of issues of the current Punisher as well and have enjoyed it so far. I've heard the MAX series by Ennis is supposed to be very good. Last time I checked it wasn't on Marvel Unlimited which is disappointing.

And now, I've finished reading every published issue of True Story Swear To God.

The future now looks like a barren wasteland devoid of hope and joy. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

1c46c641-8e0e-45f4-9abe-93d99cdfaeea-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to this. Sounds like a fun adventure and it's finally getting a proper translation. There've been some really nice archival collections coming recently for older and foreign books. I'm happy to support that.

Messi

I had a dream last night that Nocenti convinced DC to put her back on Catwoman after Klarion hot cancelled.

It has been written in the stars.

:(

Cade

Guys, what if Nocenti left DC and started writing Spider-Man? I'm not saying it should happen. I'm just saying what if?

I had a dream last night that Nocenti convinced DC to put her back on Catwoman after Klarion hot cancelled.

I think it says something, that I used to read every issue of Catwoman. Now? Now I have both non-Nocenti issues in my read pile but I haven't read them.

ReiGun

Don't be silly.

She's clearly going to be put on Wonder Woman next. Just because DC likes to fuck with me.

Messi

I think it says something, that I used to read every issue of Catwoman. Now? Now I have both non-Nocenti issues in my read pile but I haven't read them.

This is us in a nutshell.

I have this habit of reading the bad stuff and saving the good stuff for when I am in the mood but that stuff ends up never getting read. Lol

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Renewed my Marvel Unlimited subscription in order to read Brubaker's Cap at last.

I love the service but I can't help but be bothered by the clunkiness of the android client. Ugh.

(thy)10BooksOfChristmas

DC COMICS:
ARKHAM MANOR #3
BATMAN ANNUAL #3
BATMAN ETERNAL #38
GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #2
ROBIN RISES ALPHA #1
SUPERMAN #37
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #14

IMAGE:
BLACK SCIENCE #11
RASPUTIN #3

MARVEL:
DAREDEVIL #11

1. Batman: Everything that I want from a Batman title. Scott Snyder has crafted a masterful series of stories that explore many facets of Batman's character and Capullo brings consistently amazing artwork month after month. Whomever takes over after these two will have mighty shoes to fill.
  2. Grayson: Out of fucking nowhere Grayson has risen to be one of my favorite books. Originally I thought the premise FUCKING DUMB but I've even proven wrong and if nothing else this title should be proof that under a writer with passion and a vision anything can work.
  3. Batman and Robin: Tomasi and Gleason have been steady workhorses putting out a book that probably has more coherency and consistency than any other Bat-title that tugs at all your feels and emotions. Only the pure bombast of Batman's core title puts it above what has been done here.
  4. Action Comics: Once something I used to dismiss as just another C tier Superman book became just the sort of fanciful adventure I want from the world's first and greatest hero. In particular, the many issues with Lana Lang were fun and heartwarming and helped to rekindle my love for Superman. When done well he really is the best. Also, Baka is adorable.
  5. Batman Eternal: Extending to the weeklies in general, Batman Eternal made me appreciate the "newsstand" appeal of getting stories each and every week. While not without their flaws it was amazing to see everything unfold week after week.
  6. Green Lantern New Guardians: In particular it was a six issue run that got this title the nod where the book became a pulp, almost 50s style space romp that waxed and waned between the fantastical and body horror.
  7. Harley Quinn: I'm just so glad that this sort of book exists and thrives. In many ways it's the Seinfeld of comic books. It's a book about nothing. Harley just does dumb stuff or gets caught up with the hijinks and I really don't need anything more than that from it.
  8. Aquaman: Jeff Parker on Aquaman has been delightful in a way I didn't expect. Exploring aspects of Arthurs connection to be land and sea, giving us fun issues like his school reunion, and making Mera just as much as a main character in the book as her husband.
  9. Wonder Woman: While I had my issues with this series, at times, overall it has crafted one of the better Wonder Woman stories to date. Building up her cast of secondary characters that you learned to love or loved to hate.
  10. Justice League 3000: I didn't want to like this series. I blamed it for the cancellation of the Legion, I thought the premise was dumb, but I've been proven wrong. It's just another series of dumb fun and far flung fantastical that you just have to shrug at and go with.

My biggest disappointments:

Saga: For going fucking nowhere for so long that I just stopped caring even when it started to get good again.
Deadly Class: For pulling one of the worst bait and switch premises I've ever experienced.
Multiversity: For being some of the most obtuse story telling Morrison has ever engaged in. (This is the first issue as it was so bad I didn't pull any of the rest)

Overall it's been a great year to be a comics fan. We don't know what the future holds, or where either of the big two will be in 6 months time, or what Image title will be the darling of the day, but never before has there been such a bounty of books that offers something for literally anyone. The rising prominence of smartly written, non-sexualized and realistic female lead books is a healthy sign for the industry and I hope it continues strongly. More titles need to be breakout successes like Ms. Marvel and less need to be allowed to drift towards cancellation.

fertygo

If you only read one issue why you write it in "disappointment of the year"? Its not like you invested in that title. Oh I know for shock value.

If you only read one issue why you write it in "disappointment of the year"? Its not like you invested in that title. Oh I know for shock value.

One doesn't need to be invested to be disappointed. Hype and expectations are also a factor. I made my feelings about the first issue known at the time of release so this isn't something I am pulling out of nowhere. Also, I specifically point out that it's just the first issue I had problems with. I'm not judging any of the others. If I wanted "shock value" I'd choose something out of spite to really ruffle some feathers and not because I think it's a hot mess.

Zombine

Banned
One doesn't need to be invested to be disappointed. Hype and expectations are also a factor. I made my feelings about the first issue known at the time of release so this isn't something I am pulling out of nowhere. Also, I specifically point out that it's just the first issue I had problems with. I'm not judging any of the others. If I wanted "shock value" I'd choose something out of spite to really ruffle some feathers and not because I think it's a hot mess.

Worst book of the year: GrandHarrier for not liking the same book I like. 0/10 wouldnt read again.

Personally, I enjoy seeing how opinions vary in regards to what people read and enjoy. It can give you insight into what may or may not work in a particular book that you may overlook due to a dedication to the line or author.

Though he can't tell us himself I think we all know that Future's End would top Jedeye's list. It was the series that he just couldn't quit and talked about the most.

Tizoc

Let's see if I can remember 10 comic series I enjoyed this year...

#1 Transformers: MTMTE
#2 Megaman
#3 Multiversity
#4 Daredevil
#5 Sonic Universe
#6 Superior Foes of Spiderman
#7 Annihilator
#8 Southern Bastards
#9 Rat Queens
#10 Saga

Zombine

Banned
Let's see if I can remember 10 comic series I enjoyed this year...

#1 Transformers: MTMTE
#2 Megaman
#3 Multiversity
#4 Daredevil
#5 Sonic Universe
#6 Superior Foes of Spiderman
#7 Annihilator
#8 Southern Bastards
#9 Rat Queens
#10 Saga

I like this list because it has some personal favorites with hype books thrown in there to round it out.

Messi

I have an actual list guys but I'd rather wait for the month to end before finalizing it. Y'all jumping the gun.

/shade

I have no idea what my top 10 comics are. I read so many and it's not how I ever think of comics. I do it for games and movies but that's because the awards shape it. Comics it's tough I don't remember what counts as comics and runs span years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom