• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

I have only read #1 but it's so strange how every Black Panther fan on the CBR forum seem to absolutely hate this book while it's getting nothing but praise over here.

Because despite many of them being black, they are comic fans. In all the worst, gatekeeping, power fantasy obsessed ways.

There's a case for too much grimness in the BP mythos over the past 10 years. But the hotepping around there is unacceptable.

What could you honestly like about Black Panther that causes you to NOT like that book??

It's all about the power. They like BP in power, being one step ahead of everyone.

IMO they only like a certain flavor of BP. Pretty much Civil War BP with Reed Richards intellect. Action oriented.

That's fine, but I like my characters multi-faceted. As well as their settings and supporting cast.

Hagi

Good comics squash all beefs

REMEMBER THAT, COMICGAF

Only hardbacks squash beef.

This Deathstroke comic ain't all that bad guess I need to add it to the list. Rebirth hasn't been particularly fresh but shit I've been enjoying most of these books I've picked up. Superman stays on top.

MartyStu

the worst review of 2016, holy shit, it is the most loathsome take, phrased in the most loathsome way

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/12/28/supergirl-being-super-1-review/

This review is a work of art.

With each repulsive sentence, it sold me on the book that much harder.

Bravo!

BP is their black power fantasy. So T'Challa not being dark skinned Preptime Batgod = out of character

As with Batman, Mary Sue Black Panther is worst Black Panther.

arkon

They really don't like Coates over there do they. I've never seen so many mentions of feminist agendas and rape camps in one place

Sandfox

They really don't like Coates over there do they. I've never seen so many mentions of feminist agendas and rape camps in one place

That site hates any book that changes things from their favorite run. They also hate the current Doctor Strange run for example.

VanWinkle

Holy crap, I'm re-reading Sinestro Corps War and it's insane how good Van Sciver's Sinestro Corps War Special issue looked. Way better than his stuff now, IMO.

v7NcUh0.jpg

mreddie

Damn gotta have my appendix removed. Wish I read some more comics before leaving the house.

Good luck friend, happened to me and I didn't have no transportation when it burst, had to wait 1 hour til sis in law came by to drop me off the emergency room.

the worst review of 2016, holy shit, it is the most loathsome take, phrased in the most loathsome way

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/12/28/supergirl-being-super-1-review/

Oh my god. The dude probably wrote that thinking he was somehow enlightened... Plus he made me waste like 5 minutes looking for the Shortpacked! strip I'm sure exists that is a direct response to "Why isn't this made for me and my ogling tastes!"

Anyhow ComicGAF the real reason I popped in here was to share my thoughts on the DC Rebirth #1's. I got the collected edition from Santa so I've had a pretty wide spread on it all, and I have the New 52 #1 collection as well which makes for a fun comparison.

For starters, I really really liked Rebirth #1 itself. I don't know a thing about Wally West but I was pretty emotional when
Barry pulled him back into the universe. I felt the same when he got back with the Titans as well.
Also, I actually like the huge twist with
Dr. Manhattan being behind it all. If they play their cards right, with the metatextual angle of a creator messing with a world, it could be quite something. And he was the one to disintegrate Pandora right?Too similar to Rorschach's demise.

Overall I like the setup with most of the books. Family man superman who's seen it all before but is still a good Superhusband, father, and man, Dick and Damian are back in cahoots, the two new green lanterns seem cool (dunno what's going on with the rest of it but I always liked the idea of Kyle as the white lantern). Do most people think DC is on the right track here or am I just too early in the stories to judge?

Down the line I think I wanna grab the Superman collected when it's out, start reading Super Sons maybe. Is Titans worth picking up as well? Plus I'm a sucker for Cassie Cain so where's she at now she's actually involved again?

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks guys, And damn mrEddie! I am lucky I went in before it ruptured. They said I was lucky.

Also I am not dripping she hulk guys chill. I was just being melodramatic.

Can't wait to read snot girl in a day or so

ElNarez

Banned
For starters, I really really liked Rebirth #1 itself. I don't know a thing about Wally West but I was pretty emotional when
Barry pulled him back into the universe. I felt the same when he got back with the Titans as well.
Dr. Manhattan being behind it all. If they play their cards right, with the metatextual angle of a creator messing with a world, it could be quite something. And he was the one to disintegrate Pandora right?Too similar to Rorschach's demise.

It's the same layout and blocking too, which makes this page so much cooler.

VanWinkle

Oh my god. The dude probably wrote that thinking he was somehow enlightened... Plus he made me waste like 5 minutes looking for the Shortpacked! strip I'm sure exists that is a direct response to "Why isn't this made for me and my ogling tastes!"

Anyhow ComicGAF the real reason I popped in here was to share my thoughts on the DC Rebirth #1's. I got the collected edition from Santa so I've had a pretty wide spread on it all, and I have the New 52 #1 collection as well which makes for a fun comparison.

Overall I like the setup with most of the books. Family man superman who's seen it all before but is still a good Superhusband, father, and man, Dick and Damian are back in cahoots, the two new green lanterns seem cool (dunno what's going on with the rest of it but I always liked the idea of Kyle as the white lantern). Do most people think DC is on the right track here or am I just too early in the stories to judge?

Down the line I think I wanna grab the Superman collected when it's out, start reading Super Sons maybe. Is Titans worth picking up as well? Plus I'm a sucker for Cassie Cain so where's she at now she's actually involved again?

I think Justice League is pretty much the only Rebirth book that is almost universally seen as bad. Most are either great at best and mixed at worst.

Oh! Also Saga collection 6 was a great pick me up with how bleak the last volume was, Squirrel Girl beats up the marvel universe was pretty fun (think that's all of her I need for a while though)...

Oh and Punisher MAX. The collection with Barracuda. Man that shit's good.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read today's Civil War....

Yeah, that was really bad.

No payoff, the look at the future events were dull as fuck and Ulysses floated away to his home planet.

Art was fantastic though.

Owzers

Float spoilers. Best cover those.

Also, Messi, left side statue hair by the hat! Actually, her right side, our left side, the red hair side. Gap? Pics? Of all the times you are needed on comics-gaf...

tim1138

Holy crap, I'm re-reading Sinestro Corps War and it's insane how good Van Sciver's Sinestro Corps War Special issue looked. Way better than his stuff now, IMO.

EVS is straight garbage now. Once upon a time that dude was legit

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is so fucking fun it's reminding me of what a good comic book event can do.

There were some big reveals this week as well, Max seems to know a lot about the current status of the DCU

shingi70

Banned
Regarding Justice Legaue vs Sucicide Squad so
Max remembers his old life in the pre flashpoint universe correct.

The wonder Woman/Harley confrontation was a bit too meta for my liking. The Killer frost design is pretty dang rad.

Malyse

I dunno,
but I think that any time they kill an innocent child I think that's prolly gonna emotionally resonate with me. I also like seeing the X-Men from the perspective of outsiders as well as the X-Men justifying the war to themselves.

I thought it was good.

How come? I know nothing about the series. I assume it's really good?
It is good. The reviewer is making it seem like it was an awful comic. This review is the only extremely super negative review it got. It's missing the one star rating he gave it.
I remember when that would happen. That very thing is what led me to purchasing my first digital comic.
On the brightside I got Black Science Vol. 5.

Also
it had nothing to do with the story arc so how did it botch it?

They built up the Victim Syndicate as a symbol of Batman's failures. Then after the initial clash between them last issue, suddenly they all go down like jobbers and end up in Arkham. It felt rushed, and as if the VS was only a vehicle to turn Steph's alignment to chaotic neutral or whatever she is now. I wanted to see this go on a bit longer. The Victim Syndicate was too well-designed to be disposed of so quickly. I was disappointed.

Top Bottom