• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished Fear Agent, thanks to you guys for recommending it, I really wouldn't have found that gem without you guys.

I seen some of you guys say to get Manhattan Projects even despite me not liking the art so I will do that this Wednesday, worth a shot for good writing!

Troll

Banned
Alright, so now I need to get Eternals #1 and have Gaiman and Romita Jr sign it. Also have Gaiman sign a Sandman #1. Comic Con is going to be so tight.

Captain America if that cable ongoing was actually good

prv15267_pg4.jpg

Owzers

Truly hated the end of Winter Soldier, i feel like writers are just assaulting characters right now. *spoiler includes the general shenanigans of ASM too, incase you haven't heard about any of what's going on*

Between the new 52 reboot getting rid of all marriages, Peter making a deal with the devil to that makes him forget about MJ, Doc Ock taking over peter's body and trying to rekindle that relationship, and now the black widow getting her mind wiped to forget about Bucky, it just feels cheap and shallow. I hate all of it.
I'm waiting for Marvel to make the infinity gems be used in a way that makes it so Reed and Sue never met so they can get rid of their kids.

frye

Truly hated the end of Winter Soldier, i feel like writers are just assaulting characters right now. *spoiler includes the general shenanigans of ASM too, incase you haven't heard about any of what's going on*

Between the new 52 reboot getting rid of all marriages, Peter making a deal with the devil to that makes him forget about MJ, Doc Ock taking over peter's body and trying to rekindle that relationship, and now the black widow getting her mind wiped to forget about Bucky, it just feels cheap and shallow. I hate all of it.

I don't think Bucky and Natasha is comparable to the other ones - it's definitely a more well done than them but beyond that, it's Brubaker who's doing it, not some random schlub. Even when they were a couple, NOBODY wrote them the same way Brubaker did, if at all, and Winter Soldier is all about Brubaker ending things on his own terms so of course that's how it ends - with Bucky having nothing. It's like what Gillen did at the end of JiM except not as meta. Besides, it's Black Widow. She's not going to have a relationship that lasts forever (because writers always switch her up) so I'm honestly happy that the guy who made them got to break them.

It's also a pretty clever reversal of the end of Born Again because in that comic
Matt Murdock only has Karen left. He's not the Lawyer. He's not the Superhero. He's the Man. Brubaker plays it nice with the next writer so here, Bucky still has his job. He's the Soldier. There's no girl though and the man is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Owzers

I haven't read Born Again or JiM yet....more sad times ahead. Brubaker doing it instead of someone else didn't really make it better for me, felt like he was doing the next guy a favor and since i'm not the guy writing Winter Soldier next, that's not a positive.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finally finished Fear Agent, thanks to you guys for recommending it, I really wouldn't have found that gem without you guys.

I seen some of you guys say to get Manhattan Projects even despite me not liking the art so I will do that this Wednesday, worth a shot for good writing!

Fear Agent is an amazing piece of work. That ending... heavy stuff. It's part of the reason I like Remender' Cap so much - he can nail this father/son sci-fi dystopian action romp.

I re-read issues 1-9 of The Manhattan Projects and I think it's a perfect at setting the stage for what will no doubt be a ridiculously well realized story.

Read the 3 issues of Nowhere Men and I want more.

Also finished the first trade for Revival and it's great as well.

Nowhere Men really took off at that 3rd issue. Interested to see where it goes. I keep hearing good things about Revival, but I'm kind of burnt out on the undead.

Screw the white knights.

you forgot "hipster" and "brah"

I re-read issues 1-9 of The Manhattan Projects and I think it's a perfect at setting the stage for what will no doubt be a ridiculously well realized story.

I like it because, while it did that stage-setting well, it also was an amazingly enjoyable story in its own right.

Acid08

Banned
I like it because, while it did that stage-setting well, it also was an amazingly enjoyable story in its own right.
It flows really well without having to explain too much to you all while everything just gets bigger and bigger. Things just happen and you either keep up or you don't. Love this book.

I bet Uncanny Avengers is the kind of comic people will be raving about in a few years when looking back on it. Some of the hate it's been getting on here and a few other forums is just crazy. It'll be interesting to see the reactions to the next arc with Apocalypse when Cassady is off it.

It's easily one of my favourite NOW! books along with Thor and New Avengers.

Yeah, don't understand the hate for Uncanny Avengers besides maybe the delays, which have been weeks, not months. Even mediocre-average Cassaday is better than most and #4 previews look like better Cassaday. The overly heavy narration in #3 seemed an intentional choice by Remender, almost as a throwback.

Haters gonna hate but help me understand the hate people, what don't you like?

Wool

Just read Volume 1 of Preacher. This shit is great. For a European, Garth Ennis gets the Texan dialogue down pretty well.

Vibe, fuck yeah!

This is a packed week for me: GL, GLC, GL:NG, JL, JLA, Vibe, Action Comics, and WW.

I'm in on Katana and Vibe for now. Katana wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. I had some interesting characterization and the art was hit or miss, with some gorgeous high points. I think people see some writers names and instantly label it bad (or good, to be fair). Looking forward to seeing if Vibe can draw me in as well.

Wool

Just read Volume 1 of Preacher. This shit is great. For a European, Garth Ennis gets the Texan dialogue down pretty well.

I don't normally quote myself, but I wanted to add that I love how violent and gory this is. If there is one advantage that comics have over film, it's that they should be able to be much more graphic.

If I was looking for a bit of the old ultraviolence, what else would you recommend?

Parch

If I was looking for a bit of the old ultraviolence, what else would you recommend?
Avatar Press has the over-the-top violence. Crossed, Ferals, Dan the Unharmable, plus a bunch of living dead zombie stuff. A little weak on the stories, but heavy on the shock gore.

Viewt

I don't normally quote myself, but I wanted to add that I love how violent and gory this is. If there is one advantage that comics have over film, it's that they should be able to be much more graphic.

It's not quite as violent as Preacher, but I'd say you should get into Hitman, which tells the story of Tommy Monaghan, a working-class Irish hitman living in Gotham City. It's got guns, it's got blood and it's written by Garth Ennis! It shares quite a few themes with Preacher, as well.

tim1138

I'm in on Katana and Vibe for now. Katana wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. I had some interesting characterization and the art was hit or miss, with some gorgeous high points. I think people see some writers names and instantly label it bad (or good, to be fair). Looking forward to seeing if Vibe can draw me in as well.

How was the dialogue in Katana? I've heard it wasn't that great. The art in the preview I saw online was pretty solid though

Zia

Hey, comics people. As much as I'd hate to give Marvel a cent, I just saw some amazing Thor pages up for auction via The Comics Journal, and decided I need an old Marvel Kirby book. I suppose I'd like Spider-Man or Fantastic Four, but I can't figure out what the best collection to buy would be. Any recommendations?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
going to be an amazing week for comics:

avengers
black beetle
captain america
indestructible hulk
locke & key
saga
thor: god of thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.