• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, nice - thanks for this. Kinda torn on the story-

On one hand I don't see why the Joker wouldn't cut the Fam's faces off. He's insane and has no inhibitions whatsoever. It was hinted at by Harley, and in the story that this Joker was more violent, sadistic (?), and dangerous. At the very least, didn't he mention he was pouring Ammonia in Alfred's eyes at some point to Batman? But Alfred looked fine. But on the other hand I'm glad no one in the Family was taken out.
And I take it we are supposed to assume that his memory was extremely selective while he was stalking/harassing Nightwing and Batgirl in the same way he was when he took Alfred from Bruce?

Well it's confirmed by Bruce that he all but told Joker that he was Batman, but that Joker didn't care. Even though he ignored Bruce at the time, he still knew so it makes a bit of sense that he would use Bruce's family to go after Batman. Joker would never go after Bruce, he couldn't give two shits about him. But he sure as hell would do whatever it took to hit Batman.

I think Joker didn't mutilate the family because frankly unless he could make it a joke it doesn't really fit his MO. Even early on in the arc you can find the joke in all of his attacks so long as you look for it. Mutilating them himself wouldn't be as bad as them killing each other, nowhere near as funny either.

Vyer

I'm 4 issues into civil war.

Entertaining enough, I suppose. But everyone seems to be acting oddly out of character, particularly on Stark's "side".

I'm 4 issues into civil war.

Entertaining enough, I suppose. But everyone seems to be acting oddly out of character, particularly on Stark's "side".

The best thing that Marvel ever did with Civil War was to almost immediately retcon it to the point that hardly anybody ever brings it up anymore. Every single character (except for maybe Luke Cage) are horribly, horribly characterized. Cap sucks. Iron Man sucks. Spider-man sucks. Daredevil sucks. spider-woman sucks. Thor is a cloned robot (and so by extension Mr. Fantastic and Hank Pym suck). The X-Men are almost complete non-factors despite them having the most at stake. The concept of Civil War wasn't horrible but the execution could not have been worse.

Jetman

Well it's confirmed by Bruce that he all but told Joker that he was Batman, but that Joker didn't care. Even though he ignored Bruce at the time, he still knew so it makes a bit of sense that he would use Bruce's family to go after Batman. Joker would never go after Bruce, he couldn't give two shits about him. But he sure as hell would do whatever it took to hit Batman.

I think Joker didn't mutilate the family because frankly unless he could make it a joke it doesn't really fit his MO. Even early on in the arc you can find the joke in all of his attacks so long as you look for it. Mutilating them himself wouldn't be as bad as them killing each other, nowhere near as funny either.

Yeah, but the entire arc Joker was going on and on about how much the family holds Batman back. This was his chance to take them all out in one fell swoop and make Batman "stronger" in his opinion, in his own words. As much as I didn't like the idea of him cutting into all of them, I thought, "oh shit- yeah that's Joker" when I saw that 'fake' cut face reveal. To me that would have been the joke, that they were all now a part of his fucked up family of faceless scarred individuals, and Bruce would be on his own.

But, I guess DC would never allow that. It would take out at least 3 of their books minimum for the sake of one story arc.

And hey, maybe Bruce does know who he is, but in some insane way, he doesn't want to know either, haha

A few pages back i asked for recommendtions on books to read to my 4 year old daughter -and I want to thank whoever recommended Thor The Mighty. This is a tremendous book-we are both loving it-and it breaks me heart to know that it's only 8 issues long! What happened here? No sales? The premise is wonderful-a "reboot" or retelling in a new Marvel universe that isn't "Ultimate". It's genuine, wholesome, funny, sweet and moving. I would much rather have a new set of Marvel books set in this uncynical universe than the doom and gloom, grim and gritty 616 and Ultimate Universe. This really is an amazing book.

A few pages back i asked for recommendtions on books to read to my 4 year old daughter -and I want to thank whoever recommended Thor The Mighty. This is a tremendous book-we are both loving it-and it breaks me heart to know that it's only 8 issues long! What happened here? No sales? The premise is wonderful-a "reboot" or retelling in a new Marvel universe that isn't "Ultimate". It's genuine, wholesome, funny, sweet and moving. I would much rather have a new set of Marvel books set in this uncynical universe than the doom and gloom, grim and gritty 616 and Ultimate Universe. This really is an amazing book.

glad you both are enjoying it. it really is an amazing book. if you are looking for more i suggest

Cowboy by Nate cosby and Chris eliopoulos.

images

and Jim Henson's story teller

2124793-storyteller_cover_super.jpg

They probably don't feel that there is a huge market for them considering that most of their books are PG so to speak. The problem isn't really content so much a continuity. I think it legitimately gets difficult to tell the kind of stories that that Thor book does over the span of 50 or so issues.

I was loving the X-Men First Class books and the Marvel Adventures stuff but now all they have is some crap screengrab comic for Ultimate Spiderman...I get why they stopped making Brave and the Bold but my kid still looks for it. They both fail me and push him to get Sonic comics(ick lol) or quarter binned Teen Titan or Legion comics(thats pretty cool though). I get the Superman Adventures but he isn't as into it as he was the Titans. He really reeeealy wants Ninja Turtles but I was just going to get him the trades maybe.

Aw man. I've been reading the latest X-Factor series and I've been loving it until now-but now Larry Stroman is the artist-he's really the fucking worst. I remember hating his art back in the 90s X-Factor. Total bummer. I mean look at this shit.

d22ea0624b5b180ce9e08ec94f7c7ab5_zpsb4394d05.jpg

Aw man. I've been reading the latest X-Factor series and I've been loving it until now-but now Larry Stroman is the artist-he's really the fucking worst. I remember hating his art back in the 90s X-Factor. Total bummer. I mean look at this shit.

Yea. You entered the dark era of Xfactor. The art gets ridiculously bad for a while. I fought threw it due to the writing. I swear marvel was trying to kill the series at that point.

Conan #13

Batwoman #17
Wonder Woman #17

Happy #4
Saga #10

Avengers #6
Captain America #4
Thor #5

Its nice trimming all of the shitty books off your pull list. Then every week is a great week.

That Marcos Martin Variant is beautiful.

Is it though? He just stenciled the characters on a space backgroud....He's done much much better. I mean this is the guy that drew this spread:
I'd expect something a lot more awesome from him.

Sick Week

Avengers #6
B.P.R.D. 1948 #5 (of 5)
Captain America #4
Captain Marvel #10
Conan the Barbarian #13
Daredevil #23
Deadpool #5
Happy #4 (of 4)
Indestructible Hulk #4
Nova #1
Saga #10
Savage Wolverine #2
The Sixth Gun #29
Superior Spider-Man #4
Thor: God of Thunder #5

Quake1028

Sick Week

Avengers #6
B.P.R.D. 1948 #5 (of 5)
Captain America #4
Captain Marvel #10
Conan the Barbarian #13
Daredevil #23
Deadpool #5
Happy #4 (of 4)
Indestructible Hulk #4
Nova #1
Saga #10
Savage Wolverine #2
The Sixth Gun #29
Superior Spider-Man #4
Thor: God of Thunder #5

Why you no love Black Beetle Birdie???????????????

Why you no love Black Beetle Birdie???????????????

Eeeeeeeehhhh I dunno, man.

A few really nitpicky things make me kind of not crazy about it. He has an incredible handcrafted style that he's clearly doing digitally. It usually works on covers, but for some reason on his pages, it really takes me out of it. It needs to be drippy and weird. The lines are too clean.

I know, I'm crazy, and it's on me, but it's how I feel.

I mean, I'm sure I'll pick it up at the store, especially since DH's digital stinks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Uncanny is basically "Fuck Cyclops, The Book" but even though I hate that premise, it's undeniably good. Bachalo is still my personal favorite artist doing it.

Marvel is doing pretty good things right now with that, and Hawguy, which still, without hyperbole, may be my favorite series ever.

EDIT: NOOOO krypt0nian!

Troll

Banned
I haven't seen him post since January, and his status is banned.

If it's over a month since he's posted... it's not looking good. Usually 30 day bans are the way we are disciplined when we get out of line. At least from my personal experience, I haven't had anything longer than a month and I've said some pretty fucked up stuff to get banned.

e: was he the dude that got into it with Fantomex?

If it's over a month since he's posted... it's not looking good. Usually 30 day bans are the way we are disciplined when we get out of line. At least from my personal experience, I haven't had anything longer than a month and I've said some pretty fucked up stuff to get banned.

What did he get banned for?

tim1138

I've never been banned, so I dunno how it works.
And yeah, he was the one who Fantomex flipped out on, and I haven't seen him since either.

Troll

Banned
I've never been banned, so I dunno how it works.
And yeah, he was the one who Fantomex flipped out on, and I haven't seen him since either.

Well, Fantomex isn't banned. He just bailed on us. The other guy Kryponian might have been banned for talking about using adblock. That's about all I got for you. That was on 1/29 so if the standard 30 day banning is applied we should know soon.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well, Fantomex isn't banned. He just bailed on us. The other guy Kryponian might have been banned for talking about using adblock. That's about all I got for you. That was on 1/29 so if the standard 30 day banning is applied we should know soon.

people have been banned for longer than a month. there have been 3 month, and 6 month stretches. dont know if hes done anything to warrant one of those though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom