• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Batman Inc
one last Dick n Damian team up, just the way it should have been. Dick was a better surrogate father to Damian than Bruce ever was. The best Batman and Robin we'll ever get.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Batman Inc
one last Dick n Damian team up, just the way it should have been. Dick was a better surrogate father to Damian than Bruce ever was. The best Batman and Robin we'll ever get.

That panel from the preview with
Damian saying they were the best is going to go down as one of my all-time favourites. I love(d) Damian's sincerity and gravity when he's being real. Like at the end of Batman and Robin when he says "I won't fail you father," d'awwwwwwww

tim1138

That panel from the preview with
Damian saying they were the best is going to go down as one of my all-time favourites. I love(d) Damian's sincerity and gravity when he's being real. Like at the end of Batman and Robin when he says "I won't fail you father," d'awwwwwwww

Yep, that's probably my favorite single panel from Morrison's entire run.

Averon

Batman Inc

Man, that final Dick/Damian team up. Their final conversation with each other. I can't hold all these feels I'm having right now.

tim1138

The Flash
Huh, that's not what I was expecting Reverse Flash to look like at all. I'm guessing that's Dr Elias under the mask. I hope they're not breaking Patty and Barry up yet, I like Barry not involved with Iris.

Aquaman
I can't imagine the police taking Mera into custody is going to end well for them or Waller. I loved the panel of Arthur surrounded by all the sea life-the rwal reason he reclaimed the Throne of Atlantis.

Red Lanterns
Still the least punchy of the Lantern books. Atrocitus doesn't interact with the First Lantern until the very end, but finds where the Guardians siphoned their emotions to. Does anyone care about Rankor and his pointless story? I hope Fialkov kills him in his first issue. What an utter waste of page space.

Also just a heads up, if you've stayed spoiler free on Inc read it first. The ending is spoiled in the Channel 52 backup that's in all the books.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If I'd been able to avoid the Inc spoiler, I was just listening to Keith and the Girl podcast and they spoiled it there too (and then spent five minutes taking the piss out of it which I didn't like :p). That's not even a comics show! There is no hope of avoiding spoilers.

Mafro

Uncanny Avengers #4. Holy shit @
the Days of Future Past page, and Onslaught Red Skull at the end!

Cassaday's art almost back to his best.

monome

Fair well Batman Inc!

you've been consistently great even though I liked you a bit more before 52 happened.

One more DC title to bite the dust for me, I've gone from 100% DC (& Vertigo) to moslty looking forward for Snyder stuff and He-Man and MARVEL NOWing the shit ouf of Comixology.

I blame Jim Lee, guy is just too talented a penciller to be able to do anything else...
I forsee Trinity War to be a massive flop (at least critically, good drawings will always sell) and Snyder/Lee Superman a massive hit, hopefully Lee steps down from DC command center and gets back to monthly comics.

tim1138

Fair well Batman Inc!

you've been consistently great even though I liked you a bit more before 52 happened.

One more DC title to bite the dust for me, I've gone from 100% DC (& Vertigo) to moslty looking forward for Snyder stuff and He-Man and MARVEL NOWing the shit ouf of Comixology.

I blame Jim Lee, guy is just too talented a penciller to be able to do anything else...

You know Morrison still has four issues left on Inc, right?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Is the Batman Inc series worth it? Read most of Morrison's lead up stuff but after he finished his work on the Batman & Robin series I never went to his next series, blame the New 52 and all that I guess.

Worth picking up as a whole?

monome

You know Morrison still has four issues left on Inc, right?

holy gollly. was disappointed with Morrison leaving Batman on dead kid's note, but well, everything ends.

thought only Action was extended and Inc was a 12 issues run...

shit is gonna hit the fan in a big way, I hope Morrisson has one more crazy Batman idea to throw at us.

I like Snyder Batman, but so far, he's playing it safe, relying on his excellent writting chops.
Morrisson has outlandish ideas sometimes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is the Batman Inc series worth it? Read most of Morrison's lead up stuff but after he finished his work on the Batman & Robin series I never went to his next series, blame the New 52 and all that I guess.

Worth picking up as a whole?

I think it's been good, but it has also been the weakest part of the run when put next to his work on Batman and Batman & Robin. Still, I've really enjoyed it and it does sand off some of the remaining snags from the rest of the run. To make you life interesting there are two volumes of Inc, both of which start at #1 (seriously, fuck you DC and the way you handled this run) - the first run was pre52 and was about 9 issues (?), the second volume is running now and will be 12.

holy gollly. was disappointed with Morrison leaving Batman on dead kid's note, but well, everything ends.

thought only Action was extended and Inc was a 12 issues run...

shit is gonna hit the fan in a big way, I hope Morrisson has one more crazy Batman idea to throw at us.

I like Snyder Batman, but so far, he's playing it safe, relying on his excellent writting chops.
Morrisson has outlandish ideas sometimes.

Inc will indeed be 12 issues. It's not #12 yet :)

Owzers

If I'd been able to avoid the Inc spoiler, I was just listening to Keith and the Girl podcast and they spoiled it there too (and then spent five minutes taking the piss out of it which I didn't like :p). That's not even a comics show! There is no hope of avoiding spoilers.

There's no escape from this one, i put up a good fight but it mattered not.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Surprised I don't see New Avengers considering your avatar.

would that i could read a hickman book every week, that's just today's pull. i may flip through young avengers & FF at the store and leave em on the shelf, though.

I think that is just his list for this week.

Other than Hawkeye, the none of the books he talks about most often (Saga, Manhattan Projects, Thor, Hickman Avengers) are on there.

yeah, you know me

Timo, I'll check out the book later tonight if my LCS has it.

As for me, extra Apple bucks comes in handy when I can't pick up my physical copies until later...

Love this cover:
61D7D20F-96B2-41FE-8519-9DE5CA4DF26F-5424-000003596BE8E966_zps637112d5.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How many INC issues does Morrison have left again?

Uncanny Avengers feels like all it has left is shock tactics, the meat of the book was utterly boring with the same overwraught narration boxes. Cassady is a terrible artist for what was once meant to be a standout part of NOW!

Uncanny X-Men was Bendis revealing he can't do new characters without making them all the same character. Bachalo's art also seems not up to snuff anymore, with WAY too much sameface to make panels understandable.

Maybe Uncanny is now code-word for "terrible"?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I think it's been good, but it has also been the weakest part of the run when put next to his work on Batman and Batman & Robin. Still, I've really enjoyed it and it does sand off some of the remaining snags from the rest of the run. To make you life interesting there are two volumes of Inc, both of which start at #1 (seriously, fuck you DC and the way you handled this run) - the first run was pre52 and was about 9 issues (?), the second volume is running now and will be 12.)

I liked his previous work in the Batman series (especially Damian as a character), but the idea of Inc at the time just seemed a little odd, in regards to both the character/universe and the publishing too. To begin with it just seemed to shout "spin-off".

If it's doing good stuff though i'll maybe retroactively pick it up- definitely interested in the rest of it as a result of this week!

Penguin

How many INC issues does Morrison have left again?

Uncanny Avengers feels like all it has left is shock tactics, the meat of the book was utterly boring with the same overwraught narration boxes. Cassady is a terrible artist for what was once meant to be a standout part of NOW!

Uncanny X-Men was Bendis revealing he can't do new characters without making them all the same character. Bachalo's art also seems not up to snuff anymore, with WAY too much sameface to make panels understandable.

Maybe Uncanny is now code-word for "terrible"?

I don't know, read Uncanny Skullkickers and absolutely loved it.

Personally, I think Inc has been the most consistently good arc of Morrison's run. It has the twisted pop adventure feel of Batman and Robin, but the ever interesting focus on Bruce Wayne from the first arc. And shitty Internet 2.0 issue aside, it's has mostly great artists like Paquette and Burnham drawing the vast majority of it. No Tony Daniel drawing 5 issue stints, or Billy Tan for three interminable issues.

And today's issue was REALLY good.

Chairhome

Liked Batman Inc, but
felt like they could've prolonged the fight a bit. Too much happening on one page. Noble death, though.

Gambit and Guardians of the Galaxy today.

I'll be honest - I haven't really read Bendis outside of USM. So when I read GotG, it became VERY clear to me when you guys say Bendis has a specific style of dialogue. Not bad otherwise.

Gambit #9: It's never been bad, in my opinion. Gambit continues to be a fun book to pick up, and its take on the larger Marvel Universe is always fun to see, like how normal people react to it. Which brings me to another note - I'd love a comic about how normal people in the Marvel Universe deal with the day-to-day chaos.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Enjoyed the INC run, but it did/does get a little too illegible as if like the budget on panels showing things actually happening suddenly doubled and Morrison didnt want to play ball. Or thats just his whole symbolism shtick, but it doesnt always work.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, read Uncanny Skullkickers and absolutely loved it.

Yep. I haven't read any of the previous issues but I was still able to enjoy it and it seemed like a good jumping on point. I've been reading Zub's blog for a few months now. I'll have to try out Pathfinder next.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Scalped is so depressing. I can't stop reading and keep ordering more volumes of it. Red Crow has turned into one of my favorite characters.

Mafro

Ok Uncanny Avengers was seriously fucking great. I have no idea where this is going.
Wasn't it just.

Really enjoying the new Uncanny X-Force as well. Hawkeye was excellent as usual. Uncanny X-Men #2 was pretty dull after a good first issue and I didn't bother with Young Avengers #2 after the first issue of that wasn't anything special.

Comics Retailers Name DC Top Publisher

Diamond Comics Distributors, the middle-man between comic book publishers and your local comic book stores, each year names their Diamond Gem Awards to recognize "quality, creativity, and overall sales impact" of publishers and individual products.

The Gem Awards are nominated by Diamond professionals, and voted on by "comic book specialty retailers everywhere Diamond serves" (meaning beyond just the United States). Categories include Publisher of the Year for the over 4% and under 4% market share categories, Toy Manufacturer, Comic book of the year under and over $3.00, and more.

In a category they've dominated since the award's inception, DC Comics has been named the Diamond Gem Publisher of the Year in the over 4% market share category by retailers. This is the publisher's 4th win in a row, with Marvel Comics' last win coming in 2008 (when the mega-crossover Secret Invasion was published).

Meanwhile, of the smaller publishers, the reborn Valiant Entertainment takes Publisher of the Year in the under 4% market share division, in just their first year of publishing.

The big wins for DC Comics and Collectibles come in the face of still-vocal criticism in some reader circles of their New 52 line-up, as well as ever-rotating creative teams, cancelations, and new title launches. While the awards are subjective according to retailer perference and are likely influenced by a variety of factors inlcuding customer service and communcation and returnablity programs, the win comes despite Marvel Comics winning both the dollar and unit market share for 2012 with 34.06% and 37.59%, respectively. DC ended the year with 31.94% and 36.75%, although their win as Backlist Publisher of the Year likely has effect with retailers as well.

Dysun

As a DC fan, July is gonna be a weird month - no Johns GL or Morrison Bat books.

No Johns GL is going to be unsettling

Uncanny Avengers 4
Onslaught! Days of Future Past! Oh Remender, I dont know why nobody likes this book, I really do...

Uncanny X-Men 2
Bendis you done fucked up already, and Bachalo still sucks at any pane that's not action focused. Emma and Magik are nigh indistinguishable aside from clothing and accessories.

Red Lanterns 17
Still not worth reading even if it's labeled a part of the "Wrath of the First Lantern" crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom