• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

An actual, honest-to-god line from Uncanny Avengers: "I love my country -- I BELIEVE IN AMERICA!"

iZ4RqgyuFwaKx.gif

Are you so jaded that you can't take a line like that seriously?

TDLink

GotG #0.1 was just as bland, cliched, and terrible as I expected it to be. Not to mention the story told was completely unnecessary. Ugh...why did they have to do this to cosmic marvel.

My only hope is that no one buys this shit (or the even worse new Nova series from last week), they get cancelled before next year's movie, and they have to relaunch it again, hopefully better.

ReiGun

Batman Inc: The feels. :(
I saw the cover. I read the article. It had been hinted at forever...It still hurts, y'all. At least my man went out like a true hero. Now dump him in a lazarus pit or something. :(

Are you so jaded that you can't take a line like that seriously?

If you're gonna do camp, do camp. If you are going to try some Claremontian knock-off garbage, read some Claremont books and learn how to do it. This was just some ugly, boring, overwrought, melodramatic garbage. I was going to stick it out with Uncanny Avengers since Daniel Acuña is coming on soon, but if Remender is going to continue this embarrassingly bad level of writing, I'm done.

GotG #0.1 was just as bland, cliched, and terrible as I expected it to be. Not to mention the story told was completely unnecessary. Ugh...why did they have to do this to cosmic marvel.

My only hope is that no one buys this shit (or the even worse new Nova series from last week), they get cancelled before next year's movie, and they have to relaunch it again, hopefully better.

Except Nova was kinda good last week. And I love Dick Rider, and hate Loeb...

So Im starting to catch up with Marvel books since AvsX but there are so many new relaunched titles. The ones I'm reading are All New Xmen, Uncanny Xmen and Avengers (Hickmans book). I'm not sure how I feel about things though, not a fan of crazy Scott.

What's the general consensus of the new Marvel Now? And what books are worth reading?

Also, anyone know what Olivier Coiple is working on?

PS- I highly recommend you guys read IDW's Transforners More Than Meets the Eye series. Such fantastic writing, with dry sense of humor and great sense of lore building. I know it's a licensed property but it's such fantastic writing that would appeal to anyone fan of great books.

Too many books to review, shiiiit. I need to start fresh in March and fix up my lists since there are just too many bad books.

Young Avengers #2: zzzzzz I hate Wiccan and Hulkling. Also, I hate tumblr. It's like a nightmare comic! But the art is great and I love Loki. C-

Uncanny X-Force #2: Another good issue. That final page OMG. A

X-Men Legacy #6: Lackluster conclusion to this arc, but it's still a pretty cool series. Art reminds me a bit of Coipel which is great. Every X-Fan needs to be on this. Sleeper hit. B-

Uncanny X-Men #2: This was... not good. C

Hawkeye #10: Still great. Still pretty. Still an A

Uncanny Avengers #4: Bad. D-

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1: Big, useless, predictable flashback. Okay for very interested fans, but everyone else should just ignore it. D

Gambit #9: Clay Mann's art is just good enough to excuse how boring this book is! Get him on something more exciting, Marvel... D

X-Treme X-Men #11: Lol, I keep thinking every issue is the final issue, but this never ends. C

Ultimate X-Men #23: Filler. D

Avengers Arena #5: Finally another good comic this week. I thought this would be the worst of Marvel NOW, but it's surprisingly great. B+

Fuck Marvel and most of these books. I am done with Uncanny Avengers, X-Treme X-Men, Gambit, Young Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. One of the worst weeks in comics since X-Men: Endangered Species was coming out.

Owzers

OH MAN Punsher War Zone was Fan Fucking Tastic

BASED RUCKA!

Buy the Punisher War Zone trade even if i've only read a couple issues of his Punisher, or wait and hope for an Ultimate/Omnibus collection?

Also, even if i buy GotG i'll be starting with #1 and not 0.1.....prove me wrong gaf/reviewers.

Hawkeye #8 = love. Also loved the 'Kate-and-barrel' line as well as Annie Wu's art. <3

Guess I'll have to steel myself for UXM since most people here seem to be complaining. If they've dropped the ball already then blah... But I'll still check it out, since it's only the 2nd issue.

BJK

Count me among those who enjoy what's going on in Uncanny Avengers. I didn't expect to enjoy this book - it's from the guy who gave us FrankenCastle - and there are definitely plot holes (how did he fit 2 brains in 1 skull?). That being said, Remender is clearly not afraid to go large, but he's thought out this story arc ... as opposed to this book being the equivalent of smashing action figures together and calling it playing. Now I'm left wondering how
Wasp and WonderMan
are going to fit into the cast.

My only gripe about the book is that I wish it was less narration-heavy.

Best part about this issue:
Reading on Comixology, and flipping past the letters page looking to see next month's cover...only to find dat Epilogue.

Also read Hawkguy. Is good bro. 'Nuff said.

Avengers Arena is still an interesting read. The reinvention of Arcade was my motivation to start reading this book. I know virtually nothing about these kids. The slow pullback as the characters try to figure out where they are is one of the better aspects of the book, if only because you know the author is playing hard to get with the details.

GotG, Young Avengers, & FF will have to wait for another lunch break.

Quake1028

Injustice – 7/10
Uncanny X-Force – 4/10
Guardians of the Galaxy – 7/10

So basically so far, the opposite of SupermanIsDead :lol.

Count me among those who enjoy what's going on in Uncanny Avengers. I didn't expect to enjoy this book - it's from the guy who gave us FrankenCastle - and there are definitely plot holes (how did he fit 2 brains in 1 skull?). That being said, Remender is clearly not afraid to go large, but he's thought out this story arc ... as opposed to this book being the equivalent of smashing action figures together and calling it playing. Now I'm left wondering how
Wasp and WonderMan
are going to fit into the cast.

My only gripe about the book is that I wish it was less narration-heavy.

Best part about this issue:
Reading on Comixology, and flipping past the letters page looking to see next month's cover...only to find dat Epilogue.

I'm dying to know what time period the next issue takes place in-because honestly this storyline is going to be awesome. I mean the setup isn't something new we haven't seen before-but the way it's been played out is awesome...I guess Red Skull got more than he bargained for with Xavier's brain and everything in it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cap America is good Remender, but I'm just bored of his shlock tactics and throw everything at the wall nonsense as Uncanny Avengers is epitomising. Comparing it to the other main Hickman books is a bit too embarrassing too.

Talking of embarrassing comparisons, I never expected Avengers Arena to be so soundly pantsing the pretty naff Young Avengers. Wiccan and Hulkling are fucking terrible characters. Maybe Greg Land has destroyed Gillen's soul.

Liked the details in Ultimate X-Men. Yeah, he street leveled and mary sues a lot of the UXM cast already. But Magik/Emma's one line was great. Magik is just hilarious.

Arena was good at Hazmat. Like Apex, Anachronism but hat Britain and Nara.

UA the narration needs to stop but the dialogue was fine. Cap's line was Cap. Nothing more.

And Cassady's art is kinda offensive to me.

Hawkguy was awesome.

I enjoyed YA. Kid Loki was hilarious how he got Wiccan/Hulkling out of the prison.

Lombaszko

I left work early yet again so I could get to the comic shop early. Damn, DC the last couple weeks has me excited to read.

Batman Inc #8-
Wow, I actually managed to avoid the spoilers. Damian had a good run and he was best when written by Morrison. I was glad he didn't die in the regular Batman title a few weeks ago. Should have only happened from Morrison.
I don't know why people are surprised by this though. His death was hinted at in the first page of the first issue of the New 52 Batman Inc book. Bruce is standing over a grave and telling Alfred, "It's over".

I also have a free digital code for Guardians of the Galaxy .1 EDIT: GONE

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So Batman Inc was pretty amazing.
I’m really interested to see how Morrison ends this story, he’s usually one for a happy ending, or at least a positively bittersweet one. It’s a theme of his, taking characters through the absolute depths of despair before bringing everything back twice as good. I can’t see that happening here though, it’s so bleak? It’s going to take some skill not to just break the character of Batman with grimdark brooding and grief, which is very much the opposite of the feel of this run

ElNarez

Banned
I complained that Young Avengers #1 was playing it a bit too safe. Young Avengers #2 is a lot messier, but in a pretty grandiose way. It's got stuff happening all over, plus some choice punchlines. It's way more in line with what I was expecting from the book.

It's kinda sorta the same with Uncanny X-Force #2. Now that it's done with the introductions, it can bring neat ideas to the table, and start actually going somewhere. It's good. Not excellent, but pretty good.

And Uncanny X-Men was pretty ace. Bendis is starting to get the hang of writing Emma and Magik, which is cool, but he's having way more fun with the new kids. He's letting loose and writing the kind of dialogue he's very good at. Plus Bachalo is killing it.

Johns is on creative fire right now except for GL. I love what he is building towards in Aquaman, JLA has the characters he flourishes with and the new members in JL bring much anticipation. Please, please, elevate Cyborg, Stargirl or Element Woman.

Acid08

Banned
Still catching up on stuff from last week:

Saga 10 NOOOOOOOOO :((((((

JLA was surprisingly good too. Same with the Throne of Atlantis conclusion. I think it was Rafa that was taking about Reis' art in that issue, dude fucking KILLED it. So gorgeous, that brah draws some dope water.

tim1138

Johns is on creative fire right now except for GL. I love what he is building towards in Aquaman, JLA has the characters he flourishes with and the new members in JL bring much anticipation. Please, please, elevate Cyborg, Stargirl or Element Woman.

You and I think alike my friend. Said it earlier, but I absolutely loved the panel in Aquaman where
you see why he retook the Throne. So, so good.

I am all about more Element Woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom