• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone reading Transformers Regeneration One? Is it any good? I used to read Marvel Transformers in the early 90s so I thought about checking it out.

New interview on Hawkguy, lots of new information to be had, bros.
Until it's all replaced with "no comment," that is. ;)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43945

"I'm from the place where people refuse to evacuate regardless of common sense," Fraction told CBR News. "As a writing strategy I'm fond of the saying, 'Nobody is just a waitress.' Every character that appears in anything I do could end up having something important to do or say. So no one is just a waitress. No one just brings two of the characters cups of coffee. Everybody has an interior life, an exterior life and thoughts and feelings about things.

"That's true of everybody in Clint's building too. I could tell you all about everybody you've seen up on the roof at those cookouts. I know about all of them, and we're going to learn about most of them as time goes on," Fraction continued. "So Grills has been in my head for awhile and when the idea of doing a hurricane issue came about I thought it made sense to have this sort of surrogate dad for the building have to deal with his own completely disconnected dad. It ties into folks who dig in and weather hurricanes rather than evacuate in the face of all good common sense."

Part of the reason all hell breaks loose is because Cherry returns right as the local crime family Clint and Kate helped her escape from, a group the Hawkeyes dubbed the Tracksuit Draculas, are escalating their war with the archers. One of the ways they'll do that is by attempting to join forces with the organized crime figures Clint and Kate stole from at the end of "Hawkeye" #2.

"The New York crime families address the Clint problem in 'Hawkeye' #8. They're literally going to have a meeting about him and the attendees include Kingpin, the Owl, Hammerhead, Typhoid Mary, Mister Negative, Yakuza members and Mafioso types like the Maggia. Everybody is in one room as the King of All Track Suits is proposing a solution to the Hawkeye problem," Fraction stated. "This moment has been coming from the minute Kingpin watched their money floating off into the harbor at the end of issue #2.

"All these errant threads start to tie together and they form a noose around Clint's neck. The next wave of stories all stand alone but, when it's all done, form an intricate narrative. Like pointillism as a narrative device;
it basically sets up the next year from many different sides all at once -- there's an inciting incident and then we follow Clint and Cherry off in one direction," Fraction continued. "Then we follow all the women in Clint's life in another direction, and onwards and onwards."

The Clown's origin issue is drawn by Francesco Francavilla, who later becomes part of the book's regular art team. "Francesco is great. Write that in all capitals. G-R-E-A-T. I've long been a fan since meeting he and his wife at HeroesCon a hundred years ago. His new book from Dark Horse, 'The Black Beetle' is terrific. Everybody should be checking it out. Write that in caps, too, Dave: E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y. It's a breathtakingly exciting visual experience and it's wonderfully written," Fraction stated. "Francesco is going to be a perfect fit on Team Hawkeye and do right by us all."

"I'm taking writer Kieron Gillen's lead on Kate and her reality. 'Young Avengers' is reflected in 'Hawkeye,' explicitly" Fraction said. "Plus, Kate made a major enemy in Madame Masque when she impersonated her back in issue #4. I believe in #5 she tells Kate they're not done -- they're going to meet up again sooner rather than later."

"I just want say thank you again to everybody who's given the book a chance," the writer said. "We just hit our fifth printing on the first issue. Thank you."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Waid's Daredevil has gradually been getting pretty dark. Fell in love with the book because of its sense of whimsy and lightheartedness but ever since the start of the Coyote stuff it has started to feel more dour. This latest stuff with Foggy, man. Making me :( for real.

i'm with you 100%. i'm real tired of "dark" daredevil, so i dropped waids book a few issues back.

New interview on Hawkguy, lots of new information to be had, bros.
Until it's all replaced with "no comment," that is. ;)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43945

All of Team Hawkguy has been deserving of my monies since Day 1 and I will continue to give them monies so long as the quality is being maintained.

That said, I am going to be rocking my I <3 Hawkeye t-shirt when I go pick up the book on Wednesday for sure.

I have a quick question for Comic-GAF:

Since I've never read Last Son or Braniac, I was thinking of buying this. If there's anyone who read both, are they any good?

These two are very good, nice collection. Great artwork by Kubert and Frank, readily accessible read, big thrilling finales. It's like the superman movies we never got, which makes sense because Richard Donner co-wrote it.

Owzers

I already regret buying Daredevil's OHC, i'm sure in time i will regret whatever i buy of Hawkguy. Every book i love i grow to dislike, if books weren't likely to go out of print i'd just wait till an entire series ends before i rebuy it in collected format. I'd probably never have started buying Invincible OHCs either.

Onemic

Got a question: Think I'm gonna start collecting xmen volumes chronologically from now on. Being confused by diving head on into uncanny xforce and Astonishing xmen turned me off, plus I wanna actually see how the series progressed from near the beginning.

Planning on getting these titles in chronological order and just wanted to know if this would cover roughly all/the most important X-men events:

Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 2
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 3
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

Wolverine: Origin
Wolverine by Claremont & Miller
Wolverine: Weapon X
Wolverine: Enemy of the State Ultimate Collection

X-Men: Mutant Massacre
X-Men: Fall of the Mutants Omnibus
X-Men: X-Tinction Agenda
X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus - Volume 1
X-Force Omnibus - Volume 1

X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim&#8203; Lee Omnibus - Volume 2
X-Men: Bishop's Crossing
X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song
X-Men: Fatal Attraction
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
X-Men: Operation Zero Tolerance

New X-Men Omnibus
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon & John Cassaday
X-Men: Supernovas
House of M
X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force - Volume 1-3
X-Men: Legacy - Divided He Stands
X-Men Legacy: Salvage
X-Men: Age of X
X-Force / Cable: Messiah War
X-Men: Second Coming
X-Men: Schism
Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Men

Uncanny X-Force Volume 1-7
Uncanny X-Men By Kieron Gillen - Volume 1-4

All-New X-Men - Volume 1: Yesterday's X-Men (Marvel Now)
X-Men Legacy - Volume 1: Prodigal (Marvel Now)
Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1: Revolution (Marvel Now)
Uncanny X-Force - Volume 1: Let it Bleed (Marvel Now)

Would this be a the way to go if planning to read the X-titles in chronological order?

Wool

I just got and read Saga #10 and Black Beetle #2. Great all around. I think Black Beetle is starting to sell really well, it was sold out on Midtown Comics before the release day.

Saga #10
That bitch killed lying cat. Shit is going down next issue.

Black Beetle #2

I don't really think it needs to be spoilered, but that page with the rats all over him was some great art. Water splashing around, the red eyes of the rats, etc. It sucks that it is only a 5 issue series.

X-Insanity List

Uhh...that's quite an undertaking. My only comment other than that there is some crap mixed in there, is that I think the Masterworks are black and white if I remember correctly. If money isn't an issue there might actually be an omnibus that collects the early issues of X-Men.

I just got and read Saga #10 and Black Beetle #2. Great all around. I think Black Beetle is starting to sell really well, it was sold out on Midtown Comics before the release day.

Saga #10
That bitch killed lying cat. Shit is going down next issue.

It was brought up but
Lying Cat can't die remember?

arkon

Uhh...that's quite an undertaking. My only comment other than that there is some crap mixed in there, is that I think the Masterworks are black and white if I remember correctly. If money isn't an issue there might actually be an omnibus that collects the early issues of X-Men.

Nah. The Masterworks are in colour. It's the Essential line which is black and white plus high page count.

It is great to see Hawkeye #1 is on its 5th printing.

To me, it's crazy awesome knowing that a good number of the books are on multiple printings themselves.

Team Hawkguy all deserve the success of the book because it's just one of the best books out right now.

I personally think it's the best, but maybe I'm being biased.

DagsJT

this is an excellent post GJ, but let us know what you used to read / if you want to pick up new monthly issues or the "best of" graphic novels of the last 10 years.

if you like court of owls and want more batman, detective comics: the black mirror is fantastic.

hawkeye is the best comic, so consider that a "must read"

Can I ask what your suggestions would be for the "best of" GN's?

I've previously read and enjoyed The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, Blankets, Ex Machina & Batman Year One.

I think I wouldn't mind the superhero stuff if there was a definitive starting point and a path to follow rather than hundreds of issues and having to work through all of those?

onemic: good list, but there's some real duds in here. I'd say don't bother with the bolded since they are 90s comics and/or shit. The older stuff here might be out of print, or there might be overlapping issues. Check the issue numbers.

Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 2
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men - Volume 3
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

Wolverine: Origin
Wolverine by Claremont & Miller
Wolverine: Weapon X
Wolverine: Enemy of the State Ultimate Collection

X-Men: Mutant Massacre
X-Men: Fall of the Mutants Omnibus
X-Men: X-Tinction Agenda
X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus - Volume 1
X-Force Omnibus - Volume 1

X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim&#8203; Lee Omnibus - Volume 2
X-Men: Bishop's Crossing - Bad
X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song - Bad
X-Men: Fatal Attraction - Really Bad
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
X-Men: Operation Zero Tolerance - Bad

New X-Men Omnibus
House of M
X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force - Volume 1-3 - Bad
X-Men: Legacy - Divided He Stands - Not very important unless you are a huge Professor X fan.
X-Men Legacy: Salvage - Not very important unless you are a huge Rogue fan.
X-Men: Age of X
X-Force / Cable: Messiah War - Bad.
X-Men: Second Coming
X-Men: Schism

Uncanny X-Men By Kieron Gillen - Volume 1-4

All-New X-Men - Volume 1: Yesterday's X-Men (Marvel Now)
X-Men Legacy - Volume 1: Prodigal (Marvel Now)
Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1: Revolution (Marvel Now)
Uncanny X-Force - Volume 1: Let it Bleed (Marvel Now)

jon bones

Can I ask what your suggestions would be for the "best of" GN's?

I've previously read and enjoyed The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, Blankets, Ex Machina & Batman Year One.

I think I wouldn't mind the superhero stuff if there was a definitive starting point and a path to follow rather than hundreds of issues and having to work through all of those?

I'm with you 100% - I also greatly prefer self-contained stories as opposed to sprawling stories marred with crossovers, different authors, etc. Luckily I've found a lot of brilliant superhero books that are accessible and self-contained. The best of which is The Immortal Iron Fist. There are 6 GN's in total.

Also, if you enjoyed Y:TLM & Ex Machina (as i did) - the author has a new series out called Saga. Only 1 GN has been released.

If you have fond memories of music and dating and dancing, Phonogram: The Singles Club is pure brilliance. One GN and done.

Lastly, Transmetropolitan is perhaps the finest comic ever written. A remarkable look into every facet of modern society.

onemic: good list, but there's some real duds in here. I'd say don't bother with the bolded since they are 90s comics and/or shit. The older stuff here might be out of print, or there might be overlapping issues. Check the issue numbers.

I'll just reiterate that these are preeettttyyy much the only ones onemic should read:

New X-Men Omnibus

DagsJT

I'm with you 100% - I also greatly prefer self-contained stories as opposed to sprawling stories marred with crossovers, different authors, etc. Luckily I've found a lot of brilliant superhero books that are accessible and self-contained. The best of which is The Immortal Iron Fist. There are 6 GN's in total.

Also, if you enjoyed Y:TLM & Ex Machina (as i did) - the author has a new series out called Saga. Only 1 GN has been released.

If you have fond memories of music and dating and dancing, Phonogram: The Singles Club is pure brilliance. One GN and done.

Lastly, Transmetropolitan is perhaps the finest comic ever written. A remarkable look into every facet of modern society.

I'll just reiterate that these are preeettttyyy much the only ones onemic should read:

New X-Men Omnibus

Excellent, thanks for your advice!

ElNarez

Banned
Damn DC got rid of WTF Certified. Wut da fifty two Bob Harras?

Do you have a source on that? Because as fifty-twoing stupid as this was in the first place, I think it'd be even fifty-twoing stupider to back down on this. For fifty-two's sake, guys, just stand by one of your fifty-twoing choices for onces. Christ.

Quake1028

i'm not reading that because i want to go in blind but

THANK YOU BASED HICKMAN

the man is carrying comic books on his back. fraction comes close thanks to hawkguy, but that's about it.

Someone on the CBR forums said he has NEVER liked a SINGLE thing Hickman has ever written. It might be the most incorrect and mind boggling thing I have ever seen on the intertubes.

jon bones

Acid08

Banned
Up to issue 21 of UXF. It's awesome but I expected more considering how much ya'll cum over it. Still a great read though, Opena so good.

Owzers

Planetary omnibus! (from that Newsarama link Father_Brain posted)

Some other DC news of note (or is that notes of news?) from the retailer in attendance: &#8232;

DC will collect the Death of the Family storyline in two hardcover volumes later this year. The first book, Batman: Death of the Family, is a 176-page collection of the core story, while Joker: Death of the Family Companion, a 387-page volume, collects all the related tie-ins.

The publisher will offer a Batman: Court of Owls Book & Mask Set later this year, in the tradition of last year’s V for Vendetta Book & Mask Set.

Upcoming DC Omnibus volumes include the DC One Million Omnibus and the Planetary Omnibus, a comprehensive collection of the Warren Ellis/John Cassaday series that will include the core series as well as Planetary: Crossing Worlds.

Also in the works from Vertigo is Vertigo Visions: Frank Quitely, a 144-page hardcover collection of Quitely-illustrated tales; and The Children’s Crusade by Neil Gaiman and others, collecting the Vertigo series in a 416-page hardcover.

Already have Planetary Absolute volumes and Justice League One Million tpb, but good collections. I wonder if the court of owls stuff will have the whole thing in the mask set.

Owzers

So.....has DC proven that the Absolute format, as neat looking as it is, makes little to no sense at all for the reader in that they are releasing cheaper omnibus versions of their multi-volume absolutes ( Promethea, Planetary?) I might be done with Absolutes and Blackest Night should have gotten an omnibus instead of trying to shoe-horn it into a format that doesn't work for it. Same as Absolute Batman and Robin not collecting Return of Bruce Wayne which is essential to the story but won't fit the format.

Let's give it one last hug and move on.

DrSlek

My puppy has just discovered that books are fun to chew. So far 6 of my beloved collection have fallen to his teething.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom