• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....has DC proven that the Absolute format, as neat looking as it is, makes little to no sense at all for the reader in that they are releasing cheaper omnibus versions of their multi-volume absolutes ( Promethea, Planetary?)

I could never rationalize paying $100 for a large-format version of something I could read for a quarter of the price. The only one I ever bought was Absolute Death, and that was because it was on clearance at Barnes & Noble for $25.

At least until the puppy discovers how delicious iPads are.

Well true, then at least you can go grab an N7 on the cheap and use comixology there if the ipad goes :p

Luckily my cousin's dog gave up when he had to try to bite through plastic and cardbord when he decided to nearly destroy a package I had left in a paper bag. Luckily the person who sold me the Hawkeye #3 issue had the foresight to protect that mofo during shipping. Dog only destroyed the padded bubble envelope - he quit once he reached the cardboard.

arkon

So.....has DC proven that the Absolute format, as neat looking as it is, makes little to no sense at all for the reader in that they are releasing cheaper omnibus versions of their multi-volume absolutes ( Promethea, Planetary?) I might be done with Absolutes and Blackest Night should have gotten an omnibus instead of trying to shoe-horn it into a format that doesn't work for it. Same as Absolute Batman and Robin not collecting Return of Bruce Wayne which is essential to the story but won't fit the format.

Let's give it one last hug and move on.

I reckon we might get some Green Lantern omnibuses later on collecting the Geoff Johns run.

Owzers

I could never rationalize paying $100 for a large-format version of something I could read for a quarter of the price. The only one I ever bought was Absolute Death, and that was because it was on clearance at Barnes & Noble for $25.

DC hates trades, i presume they thought readers were lucky they even bother putting things out in oversized format and only now see Omnibus...es as a viable format. I still like my Absolute All Star Superman, but i'd be content with a normal OHC version of it with a sewn binding for $39.99 msrp instead of Absolute at 99.99.

-Mikey-

Don't pay 100 for any absolute edition. Amazon has plenty that are far cheaper than msrp.

Never had the chance to get absolute planetary one, so I skipped two. Glad it will be released as a complete collection.

arkon

DC hates trades, i presume they thought readers were lucky they even bother putting things out in oversized format and only now see Omnibus...es as a viable format. I still like my Absolute All Star Superman, but i'd be content with a normal OHC version of it with a sewn binding for $39.99 msrp instead of Absolute at 99.99.

I want them to do something similar to what they're doing with Starman (as we're now getting paperback versions of the omnibuses), just on a much quicker release schedule, and perhaps up the page count of each volume.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It really is a huge week. Way to space out those X-books, Marvel.

1241832_ful.jpg
1241568_ful.jpg
1241570_ful.jpg
1232464_ful.jpg

1241600_ful.jpg
1241608_ful.jpg
1241610_ful.jpg
1241598_ful.jpg

1241541_ful.jpg
1241545_ful.jpg
1241659_ful.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
People read X-men Legacy?*

*not including supermanisdead as people

Legacy is the best X-Men comic currently on the shelves. I mean, for one, it addresses a fairly important point of contention I have with the X-Men as a concept. Because, for a guy who was all about peaceful cohabitation between humans and mutants, Xavier was awfully good at dissimulating a para-military complex in which he could raise an army of child soldiers. And that's fucked. One of the first things Legacy does is to say "Yeah, maybe Xavier was actually super stupid", and it's such a breath of fresh air to read that.

Bulzeeb

hi comic gaf, is there any saite or something that lets you read comics online like netflix or amazon prime? I kinda want to get into the comics world but I don't want to buy stuff unless I really like it

Owzers

hi comic gaf, is there any saite or something that lets you read comics online like netflix or amazon prime? I kinda want to get into the comics world but I don't want to buy stuff unless I really like it

not entirely, Marvel has a Digital Unlimited service with a high volume of select content, mostly things a year old and beyond.

unrelated, but i'm really annoyed with how little cares DC and Marvel can have for something they don't personally like. Didio doesn't like trades so DCs trade department sucks. Marvel and DC don't care about digital so they aren't aggressive in pricing or sales structures. Marvel Digital Unlimited would be awesome if they actually tried to make it a compelling service, but they don't, it's mainly treated as digital table scraps and people are supposed to celebrate when an untarnished morsel is accidentally brushed off into the service.

ElNarez

Banned
It's almost comics day. LET'S SEE SOME LISTS, PEOPLE. Let's make this a thing.
All-Star Western #17
Aquaman #17
Batman Incorporated #8
Before Watchmen: Doctor Manhattan #4 (I guess it was solicited for last week what the fuck happened there I do not know also HI HATERS)
Flash #17
I, Vampire #17
Justice League Dark #17
Red Lanterns #17

FF #4
Hawkguy #8
Journey Into Mystery #649
Uncanny Avengers #4
Uncanny X-Force #2
Uncanny X-Men #2
X-Men Legacy #6
Young Avengers #2

Nemo: Heart of Ice

Holy shit this week is gonna rule so hard. Yaaaaay for comics.

kswiston

It's almost comics day. LET'S SEE SOME LISTS, PEOPLE. Let's make this a thing.

Holy shit this week is gonna rule so hard. Yaaaaay for comics.

I posted my list on Friday, back before it was cool.

I will say that I am surprised that Avengers Arena is one of the books I am most looking forward to. Glad I gave it a chance.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
PULL LIST:

FF
Hawkguy: Best Comic Out
Legend of Luther Strode
Prophet
Uncanny Skullkickers
Uncanny X-Men
Witch Doctor
Young Avengers (i'll give it 2 more before i drop it...)

Because Uncanny X-Men totally sold me with that first issue.

same here, that's why it's on my list :)

ALL STAR WESTERN #17
AQUAMAN #17
BATMAN INCORPORATED #8
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #17

AVENGERS ARENA #5
FF #4
HAWKEYE #8
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #649
UNCANNY AVENGERS #4
UNCANNY X-MEN #2
YOUNG AVENGERS #2

I'll flip through X-Force but I doubt it

Timo

If you guys see this:

cjz7yRq.jpg

in your shop tomorrow, flip through it, because I'm int it. And I found out my boss isn't getting it in even though he said he ordered it.

Marvel all day babyy

Avengers Arena #5
Gambit #9
Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1
Hawkeye #8
Ultimate Comics X-Men #23
Uncanny Avengers #4
Uncanny X-Men #2
Uncanny X-Force #2
X-Men Legacy #6
X-Treme X-Men #11
Young Avengers #2

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just had a thought, what's going to happen to
Lil Gotham now that Damian is gone
? It's really adorable and fun and I don't want it to go away.

kswiston

Avengers Arena screams tpb to me.

It reads well in singles actually. Each issue has been from the POV of a different character. Sort of like a bunch of character mini-arcs with a larger plot that connects them all together.

I don't think the concept will work well past 12-18 issues unless there is a serious change in direction coming at some point, but I have enjoyed the book so far.

Books I will buy:

Hawkeye
UXM
Ultimate XM(Sorry Woods has got me hooked)

Book I will read in the store:
Avengers Arena
UA(already heard about the spoiler, not worth a buy even though the future flash was.....interesting)

Arena to me just has too many plotholes and his Hazmat/Reptil are god awful and don't like the pacing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

DC may be slow to release trades in comparison to other companies, but I wouldn't say they hate them. Marvel is quicker, but they also suck ass at keeping things in print.

Acid08

Banned
DC may be slow to release trades in comparison to other companies, but I wouldn't say they hate them. Marvel is quicker, but they also suck ass at keeping things in print.
It took waaaaaay too long for the second Court of Owls trade to come out. Fucking ridiculous. It is a nice trade though, the thing is huge. I was really surprised when I saw it at my lcs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It took waaaaaay too long for the second Court of Owls trade to come out. Fucking ridiculous. It is a nice trade though, the thing is huge. I was really surprised when I saw it at my lcs.

The last part isn't hitting until next month. They really need to speed up the release schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom