• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit, Scott Snyder is retweeting people posting impressions of Batman 28. They say that it will break the internet tomorrow and the last page will make you scream.

Dammit, Scott Snyder is retweeting people posting impressions of Batman 28. They say that it will break the internet tomorrow and the last page will make you scream.

haha bleeding cool ran some review of it an hour ago, and the guy who wrote it thought Snyder had taken a month off year zero to do a gothtopia tie-in. Might grab this one off comixology in the morning, given it's stand alone nature (for the time being).

EDIT: Hahah ,dude has obviously realised he screwed up from the comments and has now edited it to "Eternal", but as if that's the crossover layman is currently doing instead, still doesn't grasp what his mistake was (that this is a flash forwarrd)

Sounds like there will be a four issue Shang-Chi mini series from marvel, writer is Mike Benson, with Tan Eng Huat from X-men Legacy. "Deadly Hands of Kung Fu".

Holy sh*t, Rai is back! :O

RAI-001-COVER-A-CRAIN-20ef8.jpg
Kindt, Crain bring 'Rai' back to Valiant (CBR)

EDIT: So is Dr. Mirage, courtesy of Van Meter and De La Torre!

Source (CBR)

Unai

Is there another place where I can buy digital mangas like Death Note and others? The manga selection in comixology is really poor.

It would be so schway if Sean Murphy's big news was that he told Mark Millar to suck a male camels's dick and ditch him to work with a real comics superstar

Vibranium

Banned

Yep, I think it mainly has to do with his kiddy-centric approach these days too.

Bah, his kid died of cancer. You have to cut him some slack.

It's been almost 9 years since his death though, at some point you move on. But when a writer forces a character based on his kid into a Marvel book and then throws the Nova who was well loved aside, there's bound to be a lot of frustration (I don't mean any offence).

All they need to do is have Rich (who would be based more in deep-space) as Sam's mentor, and have both in their own books. It's not rocket science (heh).

Yep, I think it mainly has to do with his kiddy-centric approach these days too.

It's been almost 9 years since his death though, at some point you move on. But when a writer forces a character based on his kid into a Marvel book and then throws the Nova who was well loved aside, there's bound to be a lot of frustration (I don't mean any offence).

All they need to do is have Rich (who would be based more in deep-space) as Sam's mentor, and have both in their own books. It's not rocket science (heh).
Brah was only on the book for five issues too. Which was the plan all along supposedly, to replace him with a brah that was only on the book for five issues too.

I haven't really read a lot of comics. I used to read a lot of X-men when I was in junior high. Anyways I wanted to pick up the new Punisher to start reading and it was sold out everywhere in town. I ended up just grabbing something off the shelf. I ended up with Seekers of the weird #1 I actually thought it was pretty good.

Anyways I think I want to pick up Ms. Marvel, Deadly Class and Hawkeye from last year.

Vibranium

Banned
Brah was only on the book for five issues too. Which was the plan all along supposedly, to replace him with a brah that was only on the book for five issues too.

Yep! And now the brah editing New Warriors allegedly said that they don't even have a thought-out plan for New Nova..

I haven't really read a lot of comics. I used to read a lot of X-men when I was in junior high. Anyways I wanted to pick up the new Punisher to start reading and it was sold out everywhere in town. I ended up just grabbing something off the shelf. I ended up with Seekers of the weird #1 I actually thought it was pretty good.

Anyways I think I want to pick up Ms. Marvel, Deadly Class and Hawkeye from last year.
pretty good starting points!

Toa TAK

Banned

DO pick up Ms. Marvel at least. It's a good start.

It's been almost 9 years since his death though, at some point you move on.

Just as a total aside, since I don't disagree about your Nova point, nor the quality of his work (often poor), but just that line. I'm going to be honest, I've got a kid that's 6. If he died, if really not sure I ever would get over it or move on. Especially if I was a writer and more introspective on life, it'd likely define me from that point on. Not to say that's a good or right thing, but just my thoughts on it. As I said though, that doesn't mean Nova fans should suffer for it or anything.

Anyway, damn, Infinity huh? What an incredible book. I really mean that, Annihilation/cosmic fans must of being gonig ape shit over this book as it came out. I realised it had a cosmic presence, but I didn't realise the scope of the various races and whatnot that come into focus through the story, I figured it'd be more avengers focused. This truly felt like a universal event, with the whole universe responding to the call. The Shi'ar, Kree, Annihilus, Inhumans, Skrulls all getting their moments, just amazing stuff. If anything this makes me wish Hickman was coming out of this writing GotG or a cosmic book, ot an Inhumans book. His take on that stuff was so good. I wish there was a book coming out of this that focused on all that. I guess GotG fits the bill, but I really want to see what's next to the skrulls, shi'ar etc. after this, and the characters that represented those races.

Were any of the ancillary tie-ins any good? I thought Captain Marvel was pretty cool and I'd have been happy to see more of her. Surprised the guardians played such a small part, were those character's tie-ins any good, or was the quality stuff pretty much contained within Avengers/New Avengers?

Btw, can't believe I didn't mention Thor in there. "And what if I'm not a man?" Jesus. So epic.

Messi

Get Harley Quinn also it just started and is awesome. You have some great picks already.

A gave a friend some trades to read today as he wanted to start reading comics. I gave him:

BATMAN Court of Owls
ALLSTAR SUPERMAN
Walking Dead compendium vol 1 (he asked for this)
HAWKGUY vol 1
Y The last man vol 1
SAGA vol 1
Chew vol 1

He loved the opening of SAGA. I think I did well with the books I have him. What do you folks think?

Yep! And now the brah editing New Warriors allegedly said that they don't even have a thought-out plan for New Nova..
WHAT!?!?

The art and colors in Ms Marvel are so so beautiful. Hopefully this broad has a plan for this book and the origin story doesn't last five issues. She needs rogues and foils asap.

zeeaykay

Finished the first deluxe edition of Criminal. Just perfection, can't wait to get the second volume. I am going to use this book as a gateway into comics for my friends who love The Wire.

Where do I go from here? Should I pick up Incognito or Sleeper next? Already reading Velvet, which I love.

Finished the first deluxe edition of Criminal. Just perfection, can't wait to get the second volume. I am going to use this book as a gateway into comics for my friends who love The Wire.

Where do I go from here? Should I pick up Incognito or Sleeper next? Already reading Velvet, which I love.

Any and all of it man. The other volumes of Criminal are just as good. Does the deluxe 1 have Bad Night or is that in deluxe 2? That's my favourite. Incognito is great but I don't like it as much. Fatale is great, Velvet looks great (I'm waiting for the trade on that one). Even his *super-hero* stuff, Gotham Central (very the wire but in Gotham about the GCPD), Captain America, Daredevil, all of that either has a crime or espionage-y bent to them, all brilliant. Haven't read Sleeper yet (damn it).

Messi

Any and all of it man. The other volumes of Criminal are just as good. Does the deluxe 1 have Bad Night or is that in deluxe 2? That's my favourite. Incognito is great but I don't like it as much. Fatale is great, Velvet looks great (I'm waiting for the trade on that one). Even his comic stuff, Gotham Central (very the wire but in Gotham about the GCPD), Captain America, Daredevil, all of that either has a crime or espionage-y bent to them, all brilliant. Haven't read Sleeper yet (damn it).

Velvet is great so far and it's a fantastic looking book. I'm sure it will be a great read in trade.

Velvet is great so far and it's a fantastic looking book. I'm sure it will be a great read in trade.

I can't wait Messi, super amped. Bru's cap run was what brought me back into comics around 2005 so him and Epting back together doing spy/espionage stuff, I have no doubts, this book was made for me. I think the trade is out around the beginning of April, so not too long!

ZK, I meant to mention Iron Fist too. I originally separated that in my mind as it's not really crime-y or espionage, but I meant to mention it afterwards. Really great, may get you onto Fraction and Hawkeye too.

zeeaykay

Thanks for the suggestions Donnie! That reminds me, I have been really intrigued by Bru's Captain America run. I see it's coming out in hardcover to support the movie, so I'll probably wait until that releases.

I've read Iron Fist and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping the new volume by Kaare Andrews is good, I haven't read anything by him.

frye

Incognito's just okay, and honestly a failed attempt to revive/update the pulp hero. Sleeper is the best thing Brubaker and Phillips have ever done together.

Velvet is fine but it's basically a less interesting version of Fatale in terms of exploring gender/genre since it's played much straighter.

Messi

Nearly finished vol 2 of American Vampire so please no spoilers going forward. But I just wanted to say Pearl is such a tragic character. I feel so bad for her all the time :(

Also am I meant to like Skinner? Because I really don't. He is a pretty big asshole lol

Thanks for the suggestions Donnie! That reminds me, I have been really intrigued by Bru's Captain America run. I see it's coming out in hardcover to support the movie, so I'll probably wait until that releases.

Hnnnngh I need that hardcover so bad. I LOVE Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc. Probably my favourite single run in Marvel history.

zeeaykay

It's definitely not as much of a political statement, but more of a look at various individuals living in the city and how their motivations impact each other in subtle and not so subtle ways.

The reason I bring up The Wire is simply because it is crime fiction where the characters come first and almost everyone is empathetic. Dialogue is realistic and the narration can be a slow burn with moments of clarity and climax.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I know you're attempting to aim some criticism at a writer whose talents have pretty much eroded but holy shit, that comment is fucking abominably stupid and you should feel bad for making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom