• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

I was looking for some opinions on the Infinity HC quality in the Marvel omnibus thread at cbr. They're all going crazy over the thin paper in it. Is it really that bad?

donie pls

haha it isn't great man. I mean I won't overblow it. The book is nice. I don't know about the binding being a hybrid or legit sewn but it certain feels and sounds fine as I turn the pages, open them right up etc., they have re-ordered the issues so it's a really comfortable reading experience that way, the story is fucking epic man. But the paper quality is eh. The book was cellophane sealed/wrapped, perfectly straight pages and almost as soon as it was unwrapped the pages already started to take on that slightly wavy-ness because of how thin the paper is. It's not a dealbreaker for me or anything, but I couldn't say it's good either. When you pay how much the HC costs (cost me just under £40), everything should be legit and perfect, no complaints. Simply put, it could be better. But as someone more concerned with it on a more simple level: will it fall to fucking pieces like some of my vertigo books, does the paper feel like sandpaper, it's fine.

I'm about a third of the way through the story btw and wtf, this is amazing. Hickman managed to put ALL of the stuff in this book out within what, 6 months, is that right? That's crazy to me. This feels like years and years of brilliance.

Unrelated to the current topic discussed but looking at the release lists from diamond I see this stick out once again:

ULTIMATES 3 TP WHO KILLED SCARLET WITCH NEW PTG $19.99

Who the @#()_!#( is buying that piece of trash story so much, that it gets like a 4th tpb printing.

Unrelated to the current topic discussed but looking at the release lists from diamond I see this stick out once again:

Who the @#()_!#( is buying that piece of trash story so much, that it gets like a 4th tpb printing.
Ultimates 3 was one of my worst reading experiences ever. I can't believe people seriously enjoyed it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Twincest fanatics.

Taking a different angle than the norm doesn't automatically mean the execution will feel fresh and entertaining. The problem I had was not that Kamala has identity issues or her heritage. It was the fact that outside of those things, she and her little slice of the world felt like your standard teenage slice of life story. The "white envy" stuff stood out so much because, as Wiseblade pointed out up thread, it was one of the two things that actually made her feel somewhat unique, and it's not that compelling on its own. Not when the character in question feels so bland.

Perhaps future issues will flesh her out, but I certainly left this first one less enthused for the rest of the series.

Well, your point of view is one I mentioned as being valid and understandable to me. Maybe reading about an older Molly Hayes facing Peter Parker-esque type problems isn't all that interesting to you. I personally think it is, especially if you add in all the little touches that her culture bring in. Honestly, I think the scenes with her family are very unique and have not been showcased in comics but maybe they just don't do it for some people. That's ok.

Although a teenage girl who writes Avengers fanfic and karate chops when imagining herself wearing a classic Ms. Marvel costume don't seem "bland" to me. It may not do it for you, but "bland" seems like a strange way to put it.

I totally just remembered that I've had the first 2 volumes of chew for 9 months and still haven't read them...... they were impulse buys at a sale in a brick-and-mortar store. I should fix that.

The worst thing about digital comics is that it makes impulse buying too easy! I've read Invincible #1-#4 twice and I'm positively aching to read more. Same thing happened when I found Rachel Rising. But I shouldn't be binge buying digi comics when I have a stack of paper to read. And, I actually do hate to admit it, but I.. I kind of prefer reading on my iPad. It's just a cleaner, more pleasant experience. And guided view, guys, omg.

Kamala kinda reminds me of Alex Wilder. He played as Captain America in an MMO & was familiar w/ superheroes. I'm sure the Alphona art has something to do with it, too.

Messi

The worst thing about digital comics is that it makes impulse buying too easy! I've read Invincible #1-#4 twice and I'm positively aching to read more. Same thing happened when I found Rachel Rising. But I shouldn't be binge buying digi comics when I have a stack of paper to read. And, I actually do hate to admit it, but I.. I kind of prefer reading on my iPad. It's just a cleaner, more pleasant experience. And guided view, guys, omg.

Gah, I am in the same boat. It's just easier reading them on the iPad. But I like owning a physical copy. I love reading physical trades though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Witch Doctor: Under the Knife was hilarious. I need to read the other story arc now.

Vinland Saga is amazing. I'm in love with it after reading the first volume last night. I need to pick up the second asap.

Well this is a lot easier. Had the LCS print out my pull list.

BgJ0DSKCQAAqmW3.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Maquinon reading Invincible. I love this development.

Attention all Punisher fans

If you haven't read it yet, Rucka's Punisher run is on sale until 11pm EST at 99cents on Comixology. So get the whole run for $21

Buy buy buy

Vyer

The worst thing about digital comics is that it makes impulse buying too easy! I've read Invincible #1-#4 twice and I'm positively aching to read more.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

La Maquinon said:
, I actually do hate to admit it, but I.. I kind of prefer reading on my iPad. It's just a cleaner, more pleasant experience. And guided view, guys, omg.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Owzers

My Ultimates Omnibus is saggy, at the halfway point the botton right corners are curling a bit. I don't like huge omnibi.

My Ultimates Omnibus is saggy, at the halfway point the botton right corners are curling a bit. I don't like huge omnibi.

I know that feel. I avoided the Invisibles omnibus because of that. Thinking about picking up Invisibles in the deluxe HC format. I think volume 1 comes out this week or next.

Unai

I`m on #DigitalTeam too.

In my country there is no such thing as trades. Comic books here are sold in "mixes". For examble, if I buy Batman #1, I`m also buying Detective Comics #1 and the Dark Knight #1. There is another mix that has Batman and Robin, Batwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Red Hood, Nightwing and Cat Woman. (yes, 7 titles).

The good part is it is cheap. But the paper is shit, and it gets out of control really easy. It is hard to keep tracking of where is the book you are looking for.

Sometimes they release an history arc in a nice hardcover book, but they are few and far between. And just for popular things like batman, superman and green lantern.

Buying from comixology is much more expensive, but is also more organized.

Owzers

I know that feel. I avoided the Invisibles omnibus because of that. Thinking about picking up Invisibles in the deluxe HC format. I think volume 1 comes out this week or next.

Uncanny X-Force Omnibus is even larger than Ultimates, 928 pages instead of 880ish. :O The sag....I'll try to put cardboard underneath the pages to help it but it's doomed.

Uncanny X-Force Omnibus is even larger than Ultimates, 928 pages instead of 880ish. :O The sag....I'll try to put cardboard underneath the pages to help it but it's doomed.

Well, the X-Statix omnibus was even bigger than that. I haven't pulled it out in a while, but I don't remember the sag being that bad.

Owzers

Well, the X-Statix omnibus was even bigger than that. I haven't pulled it out in a while, but I don't remember the sag being that bad.

Ultimates has had 4 years to sag marinate. X-Statix is doing okay, but i can already see the middle to end start to slight curl on the corner. It begins.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I finished the final issue of FF!!

it was good, but I dont understand what happened o_O

I didnt read Fantastic Four... any insight on what the whole story is??

So I'm assuming
the Team Up ends next issue?

There's no indication of that in the April solicits

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP #12
Kevin Shinick (W) • Marco Checchetto (A)
Cover by Paolo Rivera
•
As THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Returns, flashback to a never before revealed team-up between Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker that sheds new light on their violent relationship.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …3.99

I want a Miguel series too...

Like every Dynamite comic is 50% off on the Comixology website for a few days. Now, uh, are any of them actually worth a shit? I already loaded up the Gail Simone Red Sonjas in my cart, anything else? not sure if i wanna splurge on The Boys right now

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Don't tell me thaaaaaaaat! I was just thinking about doing a re-read of the series too, been almost a decade...

Rafa keeps talking about it whenever he gets a chance. What's so great about it? I'm not disbelieving, I'm genuinely curious.
Great expressive art, coupled with detailed realistic looking backgrounds. A compelling story that encompasses a great deal of time. And a great hardcover release that is unique to manga.
New Spider-Man title confirmed for May 2014

I think the article is too hopeful, I expect a relaunch of the
Team-Up series

Also, I finally have a new avatar incoming:
D92vrW7.jpg
I really hope the Ghost Rider story is more compelling than the solicits make it out to be. And that Tradd Moore draws many many issues.

I went a little crazy with some tax money:-/ lol... Ordered ....

BATMAN YEAR ONE TP
BATMAN DETECTIVE COMICS TP VOL. 01
CHEW TP VOL. 07
DRAGON BALL 3IN1 VOL. 01
EARTH 2 TP VOL. 1
INUYASHA VIZBIG VOL. 2
PUNK ROCK JESUS TP
SPAWN ORIGINS TP VOL. 1
UNKNOWN SOLDIER TP VOL. 1 (because of Gaf talk)

Infinity; so good.
A-sshle of Spartax just tried to broker a truce with the builders and got everyone blown up for his troubles.
Just really great stuff though, it reads so seamlessly between the three series. I imagine it was good enough just as a 6 issue mini, but bravo on Hickman managing to crack out all those scripts at such a quality and so well integrated to make the whole with Avengers and New Avengers.

Nathan Edmonson is on the verge of comics superstardom. He is this years Dennis Hopeless but Nathan is writing more than one good book.

DC Collectibles is on fire right now. They must be making so much money due to the way they are expanding their line and advertising. At the top of ghe wishlist is a Seaking figure, Stargirl figure and Amethyst (DC Nation style or otherwise).

jaxword

Still much better than this shit what happened to the Ultimates after this. This horrrible Vampire Storylike was much worser.

Honestly the Vampire story was lame, but still better than the retcons and wrecking of the Ultimate universe that Loeb did with Ultimates 3.

tim1138

Has anyone read Ray Fawkes' The Spectral Engine? I really enjoyed One Soul by him, it was very cool conceptually and delivered with the story as well.

Netprints

I posted in here yesterday asking for advice on comics where to start and people pointed me to the Thor comics by Jason Aaron, I just wanted to report back that I read the first volume and I thought it was awesome. Really enjoyed it. Already bought Volume 2. I might even try the new Ms. Marvel. a lot of your guys have been praising it so I will give it a read too. Thanks again GAF

Mindwipe

The only good thing you can say about Ultimates 3 is that at least it had the good grace to retcon a lot of itself out with the
robot
reveal before the end.

And that's really it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom