• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Where the heck is this superstardom announcement from Sean Murphy? You sont tease something like that. It is not a term to be taken lightly.

Just wait for the Future Samurai Robot Batman and Black Robin comic he's announcing. It's going to be rad as hell.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Damn, I was hoping for the completion of the Punk Rock Jesus trilogy with Garage Rock Abraham as the prequel and New Wave Muhammad as the sequel.

Haha--just announced, Punk Rock Jesus origin story: Indie Rock Buddha.

But really, a Punk Rock Jesus sequel focusing on Thomas would be so awesome. I need Murphy to draw more badass motorcycles and more badass motorcycle scenes!

tim1138

Haha--just announced, Punk Rock Jesus origin story: Indie Rock Buddha.

But really, a Punk Rock Jesus sequel focusing on Thomas would be so awesome. I need Murphy to draw more badass motorcycles and more badass motorcycle scenes!

I would kill for a follow-up series about Thomas, that would be amazing.

Owzers

Batman #25: I'm moving the book up to B+ grade, that was a good issue that starts to move on from the Red Hood Gang and Bruce Wayne non-stop dialogue.

Revival 13 and 14: A little better than issue 12, these
ghost things are weird, both art and action.
I'm still not sure i'll stay on board, these next two issues will make me decide since i won't get 17 until after the pre-order deadline for 20 is up.

Revival 13 and 14: A little better than issue 12, these
ghost things are weird, both art and action.
I'm still not sure i'll stay on board, these next two issues will make me decide since i won't get 17 until after the pre-order deadline for 20 is up.

I'm still reading it for now, but it seriously needs a plot development at this point. It's just been coasting for the last few issues.

Timo

I dunno if I posted this before or not, but stay far away from that Twilight Zone comic. That is some hot hot trash.

Hey Tim, a little Cincinnati flavor. I ordered it.

Book Description
Publication Date: December 20, 2013
An disillusioned amnesiac improbably gains superpowers and wields magical squeegees as weapons to fight crime on the streets of Cincinnati. But lurking beneath those streets is another who gained deadly powers and won't stop until Cincinnati is his. Written by Marvel Comics writer Gregory Wright Illustrated by Marvel/DC artist Tom Grindberg Base on the screenplay by David J Lieto 108 pgs. Color cover. B&W interior.

The Squeeg: The Graphic Novel by Gregory Wright http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615921698/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well this is a lot easier. Had the LCS print out my pull list.

BgJ0DSKCQAAqmW3.jpg

I don't know anything about Archie, but I'm a bit interested Afterlife with Archie. How is it?

RO4u60T.png

Awwwwwwwwww yeah.

My copy of Planetary arrived today. I'm in love. It's my first omni or deluxe edition, and I can't believe how great this book looks. And the paper feels awesome, such good quality.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ah geez. All this comparing Brubaker's Criminal to The Wire moved it way up my priority list.

Being late to the comics game is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I have tons of fantastic already-completed stuff to read, on the other hand, there's way too much fantastic already-completed stuff to read.

See, I just need to lock myself in a room for a year or so and get all caught up on all the amazing stuff.

Owzers

^^^^^^^^

I ended up adding All New Doop mini and Iron Fist to my dcbs pre-order. Still not sold on Original Sin...i hate the Watcher.

Kipp

^^^^^^^^

I ended up adding All New Doop mini and Iron Fist to my dcbs pre-order. Still not sold on Original Sin...i hate the Watcher.

Awesome. :D
I'm looking forward to hearing how it is. Though, since it's Milligan doing it, I can't imagine it'd be anything less than a great read. Here's hoping it's really good and comes out in trade!

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I finished the final issue of FF!!

it was good, but I dont understand what happened o_O

I didnt read Fantastic Four... any insight on what the whole story is??
darn so nobody knows?!?!

I guess F4 was so bad that nobody read it?

what about the new one coming out... any reason to be excited for it??

Welp, back in the land of the living. Missed a couple of topics.

-Yes, Deadly Class is just as good as everybody hoped, and much better than Black Science. You look at Wesley Craig's influences, its all there on the page: American Flagg!, 80s Frank Miller, AKIRA, Moebius, all the good shit. Lee loughridge is perfectly in sync with him every step of the way. Check this great flashback spread. The white space does a lot of work to make the black of the ground stand out, with the black doubling as that encrouching disaster from above into his little happy life. The red EXPLODES onto the greyscale, the black boarders bleeding into the final grim panel. 'Nother dope page. Look at that wonderful symmetry of page design that emphasizes the distance between these two characters. Note how the white space/panels give the lettering an extra oomph standing out against the purple and blues. And it all ties together to give this dramatic moment weight and power. COMICS!, everyone. The art of sequential storytelling is a fine thing.

-Ms. Marvel #1 was the most vanilla wafer comic I've read in some time. Ooooh, she likes bacon so she's Muslim but not TOO Muslim, her dad's all Mr. Authority, the mom doesn't get the whole FaceSpace and TwitterBook thing, she wants to be like all those cool (white) people but the jocks and the pretty girls reject here, oh noes. Alphona does some of the best work of her career, though, and it does have at least one great panel:

j2iLCKrgUQzEB.jpg

-lolharley

Welp, back in the land of the living. Missed a couple of topics.

-Yes, Deadly Class is just as good as everybody hoped, and much better than Black Science. You look at Wesley Craig's influences, its all there on the page: American Flagg!, 80s Frank Miller, AKIRA, Moebius, all the good shit. Lee loughridge is perfectly in sync with him every step of the way. Check this great flashback spread. The white space does a lot of work to make the black of the ground stand out, with the black doubling as that encrouching disaster from above into his little happy life. The red EXPLODES onto the greyscale, the black boarders bleeding into the final grim panel. 'Nother dope page. Look at that wonderful symmetry of page design that emphasizes the distance between these two characters. Note how the white space/panels give the lettering an extra oomph standing out against the purple and blues. And it all ties together to give this dramatic moment weight and power. COMICS!, everyone. The art of sequential storytelling is a fine thing.

I didn't even notice this until a podcast mentioned it but all the pages with action tilt slightly more as you turn the page until
the crash page, then it's a bunch of messy panels. The following pages slowly revert back to upright panels.

It's a damn fine comic.

I also reread a bunch of favorite comics to reconfirm by Top 10 favorite comics of all-time. Every self-respecting fan has a top 10, right!? Kinda shocked myself I put Why I Hate Saturn up there, but I just adore that book so much. In case you haven't read it, its about this woman Anne Merkel, and about her life being single in NYC, her editors at the magazine she writes for, running out of beer when you're depressed and alone at night, ya know the usual. Then her sister shows up pretty urgently, who's a bit weird and genuinely believes she's from Saturn. Its really 200 pages of Kyle Baker's great facial expressions and hilarious dialog, but that's the beauty of comics. Its just words and pictures in some sequential order, you can literally do anything.

Owzers

darn so nobody knows?!?!

I gave up on Fantastic Four after issue #5, it just wasn't as fun or interesting as FF. The general plot was Reed was deteriorating and the family went universe timestream hopping while he was secretly looking for a cure. Also Doom stuff i think.

darn so nobody knows?!?!

massive F4 spoilers
Ok, so, loosely, F4 was about the F4 trying to find a cure for their powers degrading. It turns out in the end that their powers were out of control because during one of their journeys they saw an asteroid blow up. The asteroid was actually a sort of capsule of F4 powers launched from a different dimension and the power degradation was caused by their powers being overloaded.

The reason the other dimension's F4 (I'll call it Black F4 because Reed is black, just like Black Debbie and Black Stormy) shot their powers out is because there's a universal constant event where Doom merges his powers with Kang and Annihilius turning him into Doom the Annihilating Conquerer, which is obviously bad for Earth, and the power shot is meant to summon another F4. So the F4 goes to Black F4's dimension (it's where Old One-Eyed Johnny came from) and restores part of Black F4's powers to cure themselves. Then some other stuff happens and in the end the F4 beat Super-Doom by absorbing all of Black F4's powers, and then transfer them back and come home.

MEANWHILE, in FF, the universal constant is kinda busted because Doom tries too early, hence Teen Kang and Teen Annihilus. Some part of the process is making current Doom's plan fail hard enough that when the actual event occurs he'll reject it, particularly when the Living Tribunal shows up to slap the shit out of Doom and then Ant Man beats him up. Also, Black F4's Johnny goes back to Black F4 and blows himself up to distract Super Doom long enough for the F4 to succeed.

BBQ Party On The Moon!

ElNarez

Banned
That Vampirella photo cover is probably the tackiest thing that ever tacked. Holy shit is it tacky. I feel we need to have a talk on just how fucking tacky this is because it is as tacky as the tackiest thing in the world.

WASH YOUR EYES WITH THIS HERE LIST:
-Astro City #9
-Batman #28
-Justice League of America #12
-Superman Wonder Woman #5

-Fuse #1

-All-New X-Factor #3
-All-New X-Men #23
-Avengers #26
-Deadpool #23
-Secret Avengers #15
-She-Hulk #1
-Thor God of Thunder #19
-Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #1
-Wolverine and the X-Men #41
-X-Force #1
-X-Men Legacy #24

A) Holy shit my DC haul is DWINDLING, like, I'm not even gonna pick up JL3000 because it really needs to go fucking somewhere at some point
B) Fuse seems to have some positive buzz and I don't know shit about it comics are ADVENTURE that's the thing
C) I would've dropped WatXM but it's Aaron's last two issues, however I'm totally dropping X-Factor if shit doesn't pick up seriously

Kipp

I also reread a bunch of favorite comics to reconfirm by Top 10 favorite comics of all-time. Every self-respecting fan has a top 10, right!? Kinda shocked myself I put Why I Hate Saturn up there, but I just adore that book so much. In case you haven't read it, its about this woman Anne Merkel, and about her life being single in NYC, her editors at the magazine she writes for, running out of beer when you're depressed and alone at night, ya know the usual. Then her sister shows up pretty urgently, who's a bit weird and genuinely believes she's from Saturn. Its really 200 pages of Kyle Baker's great facial expressions and hilarious dialog, but that's the beauty of comics. Its just words and pictures in some sequential order, you can literally do anything.

Oh man. I gotta check that book out. Seems really great.

looks good. i've been interested in Kyle Baker's stuff for a little bit now

I received a few parcels today! I also have the first JLA deluxe edition hardcover on order.

As a first time reader of both his Animal Man and JLA runs, I can't wait to make a start.

Has anyone ordered from Amazon via a third-party seller?

I have been searching for a copy of the deluxe hardcover edition of Batman Vs. The Black Glove for several months now, without success. I found a new, sealed copy available from one of Amazon.co.uk's third-party sellers. I had to pay a premium to have it shipped to Australia, but I was happy to as it was the only book I was missing from his run. What arrived however, was not the deluxe hardcover edition. I have sent the seller an email, detailing the situation and requesting a resolution, but I just want to know what I'm in for.

Am I liable to receive a refund if the deluxe hardcover edition is unavailable? I am hoping this was simply a mistake and the wrong item was sent to me, but my instincts are telling me that this was the only edition available and this was a case of false advertising. I am happy to send it back, but I noticed the invoice states that I am responsible for all return shipping costs in that case and cannot claim for a refund of said costs.

Read Batman 28! Awesome issue, can not wait til Batman Eternal.

Spoilers for those who will not read it.

Harper Row is Batmans new sidekick and she goes by Bluebird.

Selina Kyle is the new kingpin of Gotham City. She says that Batman betrayed her and left her to die.

There is a new Oracle but don't know who she is.

Stephanie Brown who goes by "Spoiler" is being held captive by Selina.

The end.

Read Batman 28! Awesome issue, can not wait til Batman Eternal.

Spoilers for those who will not read it.

Harper Row is Batmans new sidekick and she goes by Bluebird.

Selina Kyle is the new kingpin of Gotham City. She says that Batman betrayed her and left her to die.

There is a new Oracle but don't know who she is.

Stephanie Brown who goes by "Spoiler" is being held captive by Selina.

The end.

Could Carrie Kelley be the new 'Oracle'?
This is baseless speculation of course.

Jintor

Oh man!
Steph Brown back in action!

I mean, not that I care about DC since New 52 really, but I like characters :<

Where am cass

Has anyone ordered from Amazon via a third-party seller?

I have been searching for a copy of the deluxe hardcover edition of Batman Vs. The Black Glove for several months now, without success. I found a new, sealed copy available from one of Amazon.co.uk's third-party sellers. I had to pay a premium to have it shipped to Australia, but I was happy to as it was the only book I was missing from his run. What arrived however, was not the deluxe hardcover edition. I have sent the seller an email, detailing the situation and requesting a resolution, but I just want to know what I'm in for.

Am I liable to receive a refund if the deluxe hardcover edition is unavailable? I am hoping this was simply a mistake and the wrong item was sent to me, but my instincts are telling me that this was the only edition available and this was a case of false advertising. I am happy to send it back, but I noticed the invoice states that I am responsible for all return shipping costs in that case and cannot claim for a refund of said costs.

I ordered from third party sellers on amazon uk all the time man, but I put some restrictions on that to protect myself. I only use UK based sellers, I only normally use guys with 98% or higher feedback (and usually I go in and read what the negatives were if it's 98% but not a huge number of feedback). I would probably go with ebay if I wanted to do an overseas purchase, ease of paypal protection etc.

You will get a refund off amazon though if these guys sent you the wrong thing and don't sort it for you. If they want the book back, that could cause problems, I would demand the postage fees first before I'd be willing to send anything back to them. You might have to file a complaint with Amazon regardless if you need to go this route, fuck the invoice. I would not be sending anything back to Australia on my own back down to someone elses fail of a listing. Unfortunately these things can go slow, but you definitely will get your money back, eventually. I get the feeling your resolution will be a refund and you get to keep the book because the postage/return will be too much hassle for them to deal with. Just present the situation to the seller via email, see what their response is. They may go straight to "We'll refund you, keep the book". If they ask for postage let them know you won't be paying for that in good faith or any bullshit and if their response is anything but "We've got you covered bud", file a complaint to amazon and let the seller know your going to do that and why, and just say to amazonthat you're not willing to pay the expensive postage to a dubious seller and risk more lost cash/you don't have the cash to pay that kind of postage cost for a parcel.

I ordered from third party sellers on amazon uk all the time man, but I put some restrictions on that to protect myself. I only use UK based sellers, I only normally use guys with 98% or higher feedback (and usually I go in and read what the negatives were if it's 98% but not a huge number of feedback). I would probably go with ebay if I wanted to do an overseas purchase, ease of paypal protection etc.

You will get a refund off amazon though if these guys sent you the wrong thing and don't sort it for you. If they want the book back, that could cause problems, I would demand the postage fees first before I'd be willing to send anything back to them. You might have to file a complaint with Amazon regardless if you need to go this route, fuck the invoice. I would not be sending anything back to Australia on my own back down to someone elses fail of a listing. Unfortunately these things can go slow, but you definitely will get your money back, eventually. I get the feeling your resolution will be a refund and you get to keep the book because the postage/return will be too much hassle for them to deal with.

Thanks for the advice. This has at least put my mind at some ease. I'm feeling quite angry about it to be honest, as I've passed up several opportunities to buy the book via eBay in the meantime. Hopefully I'll be able to find a copy elsewhere. Just frustrating to say the least, in terms of dealing with a book that is apparently no longer in print. I'll be happy though with a refund if I can achieve that.

Thanks for the advice. This has at least put my mind at some ease. I'm feeling quite angry about it to be honest, as I've passed up several opportunities to buy the book via eBay in the meantime. Hopefully I'll be able to find a copy elsewhere. Just frustrating to say the least, in terms of dealing with a book that is apparently no longer in print. I'll be happy though with a refund if I can achieve that.

Definitely man. I've had the same thing happen before actually, and there's nothing worse than that sinking feeling when you realise it's the wrong thing. Worse than the money, it's losing that feeling you've got hold of a fairly annoying to get hold of book. I edited in a little bit extra to my original post btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom