• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is that Spider-Man story worth reading? I kind of like the idea of Spidey bring married. Pity it's not Gwen.
He was actually married for 25 years. So you can pick a ton of grear storys ;)

Its the Secret Wars Tie In, we cant say anything of the quality yet ;)

kd-z

I have to be me. Issue five was quite interesting, and now i just finished six before finishing this post. The one thing i didn't understand was how exactly those
message watches worked and how all the soldiers got memories as soon as the boy dumped the watches out the window to them and how he was using the watches at the end.
Weird book, my brain is having all these thoughts.
To be honest I don't really remember all the details of the plot and to be even more honest, I didn't really care about them. What I loved in SGG was:
- all the thoughts about how and why stories are important to us as human beings and also how life itself is a kind of a story.
- the Griller being an absolute badass and the book in general having a good sense of badassery and awesomness. "Classic scene." "unconventional twist!" So good!
Anyways, I'm glad the comic got any kind of reaction out of you man ;) Process those thoughts and share them if you want!

Thanks but I don't own a tablet. I have an IPhone 6 but have to read stuff in guided view. Not fun.

How about Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine then? It's funny, understands both characters well, is generally pretty nuts and has some sweet art. And it's not out of print.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have no idea what is going on.
Renew your Vowes is the Secret Wars Spider-Man Tie-In. Its a Peter Parker from a different universe.

But when you think you like the idea of a married Spider-Man, you can pick from tons of storys from 1987 to 2007.

You're a walking outlier

Malcolm_Gladwell_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg

Fintan

Amazing Spider-Talk guys seem so depressed about Spider-Man lately. Agree with pretty much everything they say about Spider-Verse. Slott needs to move on in my opinion.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can echo everything here. I picked up All New X-Men, Uncanny, and the ladies-only X-Men book and I've really enjoyed all three, despite knowing nothing other than what was in the movies. The solo Magneto book is good too.

And now that I've caught up on those series and liked them, I'm probably going to go back on Marvel Unlimited and read Avengers v X-Men and a few other titles/events that set up the current status quo. So it's nice to have more stuff to read.
I agree on Magneto and also Wolverine and the X-Men with Bachalo on art duties was awesome too. The current ladies X-Men title is losing me at the moment. I'm not so sure about it. Maybe it's because there's fewer characters I know as much about in it and I don't really care for Storm.

But yeah, Superhero comics are always going to have a load of characters and continuity you don't know but jumping on a title you like the look of can lead to finding something you really enjoy and you'll pick stuff up and before you know it you're making funny avatars and defending weird eyes in books and it's almost like you're one of the cool kids even if you don't post as much.

Wait i wasn't talking about me I meant you will have fun reading about X-Men even if Gambit never seems to be around and you don't know why.

Amazing Spider-Talk guys seem so depressed about Spider-Man lately. Agree with pretty much everything they say about Spider-Verse. Slott needs to move on in my opinion.

Spidey needs to go back in time and tell Mephisto to kill Aunt May. Here's some Freeza logic for you... How the hel (Thor reference, lolololololol) are you gonna choose your wrinkled up old grandmother (who has already lived a long life) OVER YOUR FUCKING WIFE OMG PETER WHY YOU SO STOOPID?

After getting caught off guard with a cat surgery bill in December I had to skip a bunch a books I wanted. Just found out im getting a fat bonus at the end of the month...immediately went to IST and grabbed the Hickman FF Omnibus vol 2 and Brubaker Cap Omnibus vol 4. So hapee :D

Now I'll be able to afford the next two must-have omnis on my list - Busiek Avengers vol 1 and Annihilation: Conquest.

Best Spider-Man TPBs I can order from IST or Amazon. Go!
Well anything Ultimate of course.

outside of the Ultimate line:
Fight Night by Kindt and Rudy
Anything Roger Stern ever did on Spider-Man
Spider-Man Blue by Loeb and Sale
I'm With Stupid by Slott and Templeton was amazing but it does seem to be oop.

I haven't read Family Business but it's by Waid and painted by Del'Otto

A lot of the Brand New Day stuff was great. I'll have to go back through and wade out the best stuff but the Gauntlet volumes were good. Anything Zeb Wells or Waid did during that time was good. There was also a great Deadpool issue written by Joe Kelly.

I really enjoyed Spider Island so you could give that a shot.

Sadly, I'm almost in total agreement. Goblin Nation, Learning to Crawl, the opening six issues, Spider-Verse...duds, all of them. And the sad thing, Slott used to be REALLY GOOD at these things. Five-issue mini-series mining continuity? Spider-Man/Human Torch, great story, Learning to Crawl, came and went nobody cared. Giant six-issue epics with dozens of characters and huge stakes? Spider-Island, one of the all-time great Spider-Man stories, juggles half a dozen sub-plots and gives everybody a great ending(Kaine redeemed, Eddie Brock redeemed, Venom did his thing, Peter saved the day with his quick thinking and intellect and showed why he's special instead of people just saying he's special in Spider-verse, etc). Spider-Verse? Like the bigger, badder, dumber sequel, the Blackest Night to SI's Sinestro Corps War. And he's been great at smaller, street level stories too. Look at "Mysteriso", "Brand New Day", "Flying Blind", "Return of the Spider-Slayer" "Nobody Dies", "Flying Blind", "No Turning Back".

I think Slott has done all his great Spider-Man stories now. He's at the point where he seems almost bored with Peter, so he has to have his mind taken over by supervillians or get sucked into a giant, mystical, multiverse spanning epic with hundreds of characters and big noisy, splashy set pieces. He's completely forgotten the relatable everyman street level hook that are the backbone of all of ASM's great runs. Lee/Ditko, Lee/Romita, Stern/Romita, DeFalco/Frenz. The man's lost the plot, and because sales are higher than they've been in 10 years, nobody can tell him no. Steve Wacker probably told him no lots of time, he's gone for Nick Lowe, who's every interview makes it sound like he just nods his head to everything Slott says. Maybe its cuz he's split up writing duties with Silver Surfer(which, despite its cosmic whimsy, still has a great character dynamic grounding it) and all the minis, IDK. But he's running on fumes now. He's like Mark Waid on Flash post-Return of Barry Allen. Sometimes you gotta know when to step aside and let Geoff Johns do his own great run, ya feel me?

Either Slott needs to go, or we need an alternate Peter Parker book. One that can go an entire year without another giant, world/universe spanning mega event. One where Peter Parker maybe has to clean his suit and he has to go the washeteria with a webbed up mask, or his arm breaks and he's gotta lie about it to his co-workers, or maybe he's gotta stop a bus full of kids careening off the road and then make it back in time for Aunt May's birthday.

Something nigga, shit

Sadly, I'm almost in total agreement. Goblin Nation, Learning to Crawl, the opening six issues, Spider-Verse...duds, all of them. And the sad thing, Slott used to be REALLY GOOD at these things. Five-issue mini-series mining continuity? Spider-Man/Human Torch, great story, Learning to Crawl, came and went nobody cared. Giant six-issue epics with dozens of characters and huge stakes? Spider-Island, one of the all-time great Spider-Man stories, juggles half a dozen sub-plots and gives everybody a great ending(Kaine redeemed, Eddie Brock redeemed, Venom did his thing, Peter saved the day with his quick thinking and intellect and showed why he's special instead of people just saying he's special in Spider-verse, etc). Spider-Verse? Like the bigger, badder, dumber sequel, the Blackest Night to SI's Sinestro Corps War. And he's been great at smaller, street level stories too. Look at "Mysteriso", "Brand New Day", "Flying Blind", "Return of the Spider-Slayer" "Nobody Dies", "Flying Blind", "No Turning Back".

I think Slott has done all his great Spider-Man stories now. He's at the point where he seems almost bored with Peter, so he has to have his mind taken over by supervillians or get sucked into a giant, mystical, multiverse spanning epic with hundreds of characters and big noisy, splashy set pieces. He's completely forgotten the relatable everyman street level hook that are the backbone of all of ASM's great runs. Lee/Ditko, Lee/Romita, Stern/Romita, DeFalco/Frenz. The man's lost the plot, and because sales are higher than they've been in 10 years, nobody can tell him no. Steve Wacker probably told him no lots of time, he's gone for Nick Lowe, who's every interview makes it sound like he just nods his head to everything Slott says. Maybe its cuz he's split up writing duties with Silver Surfer(which, despite its cosmic whimsy, still has a great character dynamic grounding it) and all the minis, IDK. But he's running on fumes now. He's like Mark Waid on Flash post-Return of Barry Allen. Sometimes you gotta know when to step aside and let Geoff Johns do his own great run, ya feel me?

Either Slott needs to go, or we need an alternate Peter Parker book. One that can go an entire year without another giant, world/universe spanning mega event. One where Peter Parker maybe has to clean his suit and he has to go the washeteria with a webbed up mask, or his arm breaks and he's gotta lie about it to his co-workers, or maybe he's gotta stop a bus full of kids careening off the road and then make it back in time for Aunt May's birthday.

Something nigga, shit
Too good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Something nigga, shit

You should write a blog.

when I first heard about spider-verse I assumed it was going to be slot's big send-off for his run. if he keeps going i'll be pretty disappointed because at this point it seems like he's said all he can about the character and I'd love to see someone else take a fresh approach.

like how do you even follow up superior and spider-verse? what crazy shit is he gonna put peter through next?

Owzers

I didn't like Spider-Island so i had little hope for Slott's spidey anyways, read Superior for 30 issues and then dropped Amazing after issue 2. I will give spider-verse a shot on MU though.

You know what i do like? Imagine Dragons Live London Sessions on spotify, only a couple songs like Demons and It's Time, but it makes me want to dust and sort things.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
when I first heard about spider-verse I assumed it was going to be slot's big send-off for his run. if he keeps going i'll be pretty disappointed because at this point it seems like he's said all he can about the character and I'd love to see someone else take a fresh approach.

like how do you even follow up superior and spider-verse? what crazy shit is he gonna put peter through next?
Wait until after Secret Wars.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The only Spiderman on my shelf is the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus and Family Buisness. Need more Spidey on my shelf.

kd-z

Darth Vader #1 was alright.

Kieron (or Keiron :|) Gillen's dialogue was really good, actually. The conversation with Jabba showed Vader's badassery, while the one with the Imperator was very tense and threatening.

The plot itself seems alright. I mean, it'll be interesting to see Vader doing behind the scenes scheming and I hope the book focuses on that. It could move with a faster pace though - so far it seems like both SW books are the definition of decompressed.

The problem was Larroca's art, of course. I don't get it: Marvel is trying to remake the SW universe and they hire THIS guy? The linework was alright, except for some proportions here and there - especially when it comes to Vader himself, who looks quite different from every angle. There was no sense of movement, tough. Which worked well on the first couple pages, where insteead of a full-on action scene we got little snapshots of key actions, which implied the sudden and fast nature of the actions. However, we then got a full-on action scene which was completely lifeless and boring. Perhaps adding any sound effects could help. The sound of a lightsaber is iconic and I think it would be wise to use it.

All in all it was a nice read but nothing mindblowing. If the opinions on the rest of the arc are good I'll probably pick up the trade someday. Now to see how Waid's Leia turns out!

Oh, and I think I'm gonna get this: http://comicsalliance.com/batman-da...paperback-this-week-so-heres-why-you-need-it/

Really enjoyed Vader #1. Felt he sounded more like classic Vader in this than in Star Wars and I liked how he reacted to the Emperor giving him a bollocking. Intrigued by half cyborg face guy - reminded me of the early concepts for Montross in the early Star Wars drafts. Loved that double page spread at the end too.

Vyer

Never been a fan of Slott, but I didn't freak out when the news about Superior broke like a lot of people and was willing to give it a chance. I thought it was solid at first but fell off rather quickly for me and kind of reinforced how I felt about Slott. I may try Spider-Verse at some point but I'm not surprised that some people are ready to move on.

Also: All Star, Red Son, Birthright and Secret Origin digitally for 6 bucks each? Don't mind if I do.

Dark Knight/Dark City blew my mind back in 1990. Happened to reread last year and it was just as awesome as I remembered.

I've really been enjoying the story in Justice League 3000, along with the artwork. Now this weeks issue keeps up the awesome story, but the fill in artists is pretty terrible. I just kept thinking while reading it that I knew these amazing artists in art school. Folks who wanted to get into comics, and could draw their fucking asses off. I also remember like all of them getting rejected CONSTANTLY from the big two. Then I wonder who the fuck the fill in arts on JL3000 got work.

Something nigga, shit

Yes to all of this.

Is this a real recommendation? I've never read it before but you never know with Alan Moore...
I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things about it. It also has JH Williams doing the art. It's probably more palatable if you like philosophy and theology in your funny books

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Never been a fan of Slott, but I didn't freak out when the news about Superior broke like a lot of people and was willing to give it a chance. I thought it was solid at first but fell off rather quickly for me and kind of reinforced how I felt about Slott. I may try Spider-Verse at some point but I'm not surprised that some people are ready to move on.

I feel like he's just trying too hard with Spidey due to it being his dream gig. Silver Surfer is so much better, I don't think anyone hates that book.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
How about Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine then? It's funny, understands both characters well, is generally pretty nuts and has some sweet art. And it's not out of print.

Seconding this recommendation. It's exactly what Korupt is looking for.
I loved that story so much. It's just so comics. Really entertaining stuff. And as ridiculous as it is, it actually packs an emotional punch.

Top Bottom