• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Fun fact: Melvil Dewey (dude shortened the spelling of his first name from Melville to make it more efficient), the inventor of the Dewey Decimal system, was a racist and sexist piece of human trash!

If you ever make an auto-bio comic, you gotta drop these "Flash Fact" type things throughout--they're great.

tim1138

Do you really need all those years of college to do a librarian job? Not trying to knock it, I'm just curious. It sounds more interesting than what I do with my accounting degree...

Most definitely (rest assured the desk jockeys checking your books out at the circ desk are not degreed librarians). If you go into technical services you need to learn cataloging and how the classification systems work, if you want to be a children's Librarian you need to learn how to develop programming and such, research librarians learn subject specific research skills and get comfortable with specialized databases, etc. You also learn management skills and a good MLS program will make you study at least basic web design.

Depending on the type of library you work in, you can and will wear many hats and be called on to all kinds of stuff.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yo, I was almost an English teacher. I was going to write lesson plans around Sandman and Blankets and a bunch of other comics/graphic novels. It's totally an awesome but completely disrespected profession.
I actually want to do something like that, but most high schools already have a curriculum set up. What made you stop almost being an English teacher?

Zombine

Banned
As someone who works in a school now, the only benefit to being a teacher is the time off. There's just too many politics at play.

I've had to turn down so much shit because once you get in, they try to occupy every ounce of your spare time.

PsychBat!

Banned
As someone who works in a school now, the only benefit to being a teacher is the time off. There's just too many politics at play.

I've had to turn down so much shit because once you get in, they try to occupy every ounce of your spare time.

I can believe this.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yeah, I was only a semester away from being a high school English teacher before I got a taste of the politics at play and the lack of input teachers get into not only what books they teach but how they're allowed to teach them and whether or not certain themes can even be talked about. It's terrible (at least in CA).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I actually want to do something like that, but most high schools already have a curriculum set up. What made you stop almost being an English teacher?

I worked with kids for years and years (through camps and private tutoring) and I loved it, but I also just kind of got burnt out. I also saw that most of my friends who were teachers needed to devote a pretty good majority of themselves to the job, and I couldn't do that right out of college. I wouldn't want to be a sub-par teacher, 'cause I know how ubiquitous those are, so If I'm trying other things for now.

Also, yeah, (outdated) curriculums would definitely get in the way of attempting to introduce more graphic novels or comics to students, but man, just thinking of having students read more engaging and, potentially, more relevant works was exciting when I was on that path.

Postal might be worth checking out, the solicit sounds interesting:
The townsfolk of Eden, Wyoming wake up to the first official murder the town has seen in 25 years. Their reaction to this isn’t normal, and there’s a reason for that. Eden operates as a haven for fugitive criminals who remain here while new identities, often including facial reconstruction, are created for them. There is zero tolerance for any illegal activity that might draw attention to the town and an “official murder” is the last thing they want. A single, tight-knit family runs Eden with the youngest oddball son Mark Shiffron overseeing the postal branch, the only means of shipping in or out of the city. THE FBI has repeatedly been foiled trying to insert an undercover here; they see Mark as the weak link to exploit. This murder gives them a new opportunity.

Zombine

Banned
I can believe this.

"Hey do you want to join this?"
"Hey do you want to work this"
"Overtime?"

FUCK. NO.

Just leave me alone. One one hand, your contract is pretty strict and you by no means have to do that shit. On the other, it can work against you. I would be shocked if I still have this job come July.

Got my Loot Crate today, so read Star Wars #1.

It was alright, I guess. I prefer EU stuff to be as far apart from the movies as possible, but this wasn't that bad. I totally get the complaints over the lightsaber scenes now, those were garbage. Aaron's writing was excellent here, he captured the voices of the protagonists well. I think Cassaday has lost a step since the days of Astonishing X-Men and Planetary. Uncanny Avengers planted the seed of doubt, but now it's full bloom.

First floppy comic in many years as well. I did like how they did the "A long time ago...." and opening crawl, and even had a Star Wars-style credits at the end.

I'll probably check out Darth Vader #1, but I'm definitely in for Princess Leia, especially since it's only a mini. Waid and the Dodsons is dream-team level stuff for me.

PsychBat!

Banned
I worked with kids for years and years (through camps and private tutoring) and I loved it, but I also just kind of got burnt out. I also saw that most of my friends who were teachers needed to devote a pretty good majority of themselves to the job, and I couldn't do that right out of college. I wouldn't want to be a sub-par teacher, 'cause I know how ubiquitous those are, so If I'm trying other things for now.
Oh yeah, I understand. I wanted to get a teaching job once I get outside of college but this anecdotal has put things in perspective. I don't know if I could handle devoting my entire life to one thing so fast.
Also, yeah, (outdated) curriculums would definitely get in the way of attempting to introduce more graphic novels or comics to students, but man, just thinking of having students read more engaging and, potentially, more relevant works was exciting when I was on that path.
This is what also inspires me to become an English teacher. I just want to move past the days of reading "The Scarlet Letter" and that awful book "Catcher in the Rye" each year.
It just isn't good.
"Hey do you want to join this?"
"Hey do you want to work this"
"Overtime?"

FUCK. NO.

Just leave me alone. One one hand, your contract is pretty strict and you by no means have to do that shit. On the other, it can work against you. I would be shocked if I still have this job come July.

What kind of position are you in?

tim1138

My memory has failed me. Same concept but no full body shot like on the Superman cover.

kW4L6df.jpg

And just for fun, the holographic foil cover!

And X-Factor #6 that I paid $4 for 20+ years ago.

tim1138

You can't see the price in my picture, but that bad boy had a cover price of $3.95 (UXM that is, X-Factor was 75 cents).

Filthy Slug

You can't see the price in my picture, but that bad boy had a cover price of $3.95 (UXM that is, X-Factor was 75 cents).

Man, pleez let DC's next gimmick month be holofoil.

Filthy Slug

Anybody recognize this artist or where it's from? Kinda looks like Gleason to me.

B833dmoCAAAcPbK.jpg

Looks super Gleason-y to me. Odd that his "PAT" skull signature ain't somewhere on there--it's usually on his dope full-pagers. Could be a commission or future page or something?

Top Bottom