• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

tim1138

Between Image Expo and the stuff that came out today, 2015 has already been an outstanding year for comics announcements. Let's hope the books live up to the announcement hype.

Owzers

USA Today's Brian Truitt says that the Avengers team has been disbanded during the events of Secret Wars, with this A-Force team emerging in its stead. Coming out of the previously teased Battleworld dominion Arcadia which Wilson describes as a "feminist paradise."

"It feels almost like a great honor to be given the reins on something that has become so central to the narrative at Marvel and a big cinematic property as well," Wilson says.

Wilson explained that the A-Force team being comprised solely of female characters was mandated by Marvel editor Daniel Ketchum, but gave the writer free reign for which characters to recruit.

http://www.newsarama.com/23459-marvel-announces-all-female-avengers-team-a-force.html

So i was right, somewhat, sorta...it was an editorial mandate to have an all female Avengers team. But, it also takes place in a specific Battleworld area that is a girly hijinx zone so that it makes sense.

He does a lot of stuff for Image so he can't be exclusive.

Don't think creator owned counts regarding exclusivity. Hickman, Remender, and Aaron are Marvel exclusive yet do titles with Image. Not sure whether Valiant counts against exclusivity though..

How many of these "DC hires artists to be writers too to save money" instances have actually worked out well in terms of great storytelling?

Doubt it's a save money thing. The last interview I read with Hitch was that he really wanted to focus on writing. So it was probably a package deal- only way to get him on art was to agree to let him write too.

We Are Robin (Khary Randolph!!!), Cyborg and Black Canary have me so hyped, goddamn. several others, too.

But having Ming Doyle draw a Dark Universe book and then put James Tynion IV on it is just not cool, man. not cool.

Bii

Huh, I think I'll start picking up more DC titles.

On another note, Midtown Comics is having $10 off a $75 gift card purchase, using code BIGLOVE2015. Might buy a few for myself since I make a few orders a year through them.

Current DC pulls

Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Detective
Catwoman
Deathstroke
Gotham Acedemy
Gotham By Midnight
Harley Quinn
Justice League
Superman
Superman/WW

Drops 11 books

Batman Eternal x4
Futures End x4
Super Girl
Justice League United
Batman & Robin

Adds 10 books

Black Canary
Constantine
Cyborg
Dark Universe
Dr Fate
JLA
HQ/PG
Robin SoB
Starfire
Green Arrow

Maybe

We Are Robin
Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Batman/Superman

The epilogue of FE mentioned Vibe being lost in the multiverse or something. Maybe Johns put him there for something in the future. He did so with Element Woman for an arc in JL.

Maybe with whatever he has planned for the Anti-Monitor

tim1138

Do you have a Question style pinboard setup that tracks these things?

Because I'd like to think you do.

Nah, I think it's been firmly established that too much of my memory is wasted on comics minutia. Plus I really loved that book, so if he popped up in something I read it'd stick with me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah, this is what caught my eye too. Feels like he's had nothing but bad things to say about DC/Vertigo since the fiasco with The Boys.

Nope. Denise Mina had a run on the old series.

What's the story there?

bengraven

I really want a pull box, but there are so many series in each of the franchises I like.

I'd like to get just one or two X-men comics, but all the major stories surrounding Wolverine and Cyclops school take up at least 5 titles right now that I'm reading. When my Unlimited wears out i'm not sure which I'll follow.

Especially with Bendis leaving. I want to say Wolverine and X-men and maybe All New, but then there's Uncanny, Amazing, X-men all taking place in the same locations and sharing characters.

Don't even get me started on wanting to catch up with Batman. Fucking no clue where to start.

Nudull

Banned
My DC Pulls are looking like:

Superman
Batman
Teen Titans
Secret Six
Gotham Academy
Cyborg
Starfire
Robin: Son of Batman
We Are Robin
Bizarro
Prez
Constantine: The Hellblazer

gods no. the announcement.

AFORCE-1.jpg

by willow, margiette and molina

Didn't know he was doing a bat book. I love his work.

The new DC list isn't going to change much for me. I wish the big 2 would commit to more mini-series. To me those are more appealing without the long term investment. I hesitate getting ongoings because of their eventual bad streaks and probable crappiness/failure.

DC is doing like 3 or 4 mini series with this.

I really want a pull box, but there are so many series in each of the franchises I like.

I'd like to get just one or two X-men comics, but all the major stories surrounding Wolverine and Cyclops school take up at least 5 titles right now that I'm reading. When my Unlimited wears out i'm not sure which I'll follow.

Especially with Bendis leaving. I want to say Wolverine and X-men and maybe All New, but then there's Uncanny, Amazing, X-men all taking place in the same locations and sharing characters.

Don't even get me started on wanting to catch up with Batman. Fucking no clue where to start.

Just get the New 52 Batman trades. It's been it's own thing. Other books have had tie ins to events but you could read Batman by itself and not miss anything at all. We don't really know what the X-titles are going to look like post Secret Wars but generally speaking there are always some books that tend to avoid crossovers. Hasn't the no pronoun X Men book been its own thing?

MartyStu

I really hope 'We are Robins' is a group of previous Robins and/or Batgirls and not just regular dudes deciding to be Robin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shocked theres no Psylocke in that cover, they seem to be pushing her HARD these last few years

Zombine

Banned
I really hope 'We are Robins' is a group of previous Robins and/or Batgirls and not just regular dudes deciding to be Robin.

Yeah but that could be exciting. Give them all awesome personalities and make them expendable. Kill them all and replace them with new ones when you need to.

So I just woke up, let me see if I have this straight. Marvel announced A-Force, which is another Secret Wars Tie In. DC announced a ton of new books and that they are dropping the New 52 in name only?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They wouldn't be establishing this team with characters that weren't going to stick around in continuity. They wouldn't pick 92 Jean, Rogue, etc on a whim. This is meant to be a book to pick up new readers.

Jean Grey is not going to be alive in issue #1 and then magically back to being dead after SW.

are you being serious? this whole team could get wiped out at the end of this series for all we know

So I just woke up, let me see if I have this straight. Marvel announced A-Force, which is another Secret Wars Tie In. DC announced a ton of new books and that they are dropping the New 52 in name only?

1) Correct.

2) Yes, it's a name drop but there might be some pull over from whatever fallout there is from Convergence. But that seems pretty self contained so I don't expect it to be too much.

Top Bottom