• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Boogiepop

Phew, I kind of went overboard in finishing up the last parts of it and ended up reading like 4 volumes today, but I finished part 7 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Definitely enjoyed it a ton, and now I just need to read the 8 volumes I own/are currently out for part 8 and I'll be pretty much caught up!

Also, the Geoff Johns Green Lantern Omnibus is huge. The only book that I have that can compete with it is the X-Statix omnibus!

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, the variant covers of Star Wars don't have digital codes apparently. I think I'll either get a bagged variant copy for collecting and a normal copy for reading from now on, or I'll just get the variant copy and buy a digital copy. I don't mind the extra $4 a month if it means I can keep a nice looking collection.

Oh god, I'm falling down the collecting rabbit hole, aren't I?

Similar0Invincible.jpg

Dang. I didn't notice the joke the 2 times I've read that issue and now I feel dumb.

MattyG

Banned
So, let me ask a question, from someone just starting out buying comics to some of the experts among ComicGaf; should I even care about variants? Should I be worried about keeping them pristine, or is there really no extra value to them above the normal editions? I want to do the whole "1 variant cover to collect, 1 normal to read" for all the Star Wars comics, but only if there's some kind of reason to do so. Obviously I want to keep them as nice as possible regardless. But if the only real value to them is that they're "different", I might just open them and read them and forgo buying the extra normal copy every month.

Zombine

Banned
So, let me ask a question, from someone just starting out buying comics to some of the experts among ComicGaf; should I even care about variants? Should I be worried about keeping them pristine, or is there really no extra value to them above the normal editions? I want to do the whole "1 variant cover to collect, 1 normal to read" for all the Star Wars comics, but only if there's some kind of reason to do so. Obviously I want to keep them as nice as possible regardless. But if the only real value to them is that they're "different", I might just open them and read them and forgo buying the extra normal copy every month.

Variants only hold value if it's a cool picture of a character you like or an artist you admire. Most people that buy them get them to display the cover. Never get a variant "just because."

Never care about variants unless you like the cover. I never get the appeal but others do. Keep comics in good condition but if you are buying comics for resale value it's not the best hobby for it. Don't get caught up in grading. I never sold comics so it was never a priority. And another reason I went digital.

Could always find my comics and the quality was always pristine.

MattyG

Banned
Variants only hold value if it's a cool picture of a character you like or an artist you admire. Most people that buy them get them to display the cover. Never get a variant "just because."

Never care about variants unless you like the cover. I never get the appeal but others do. Keep comics in good condition but if you are buying comics for resale value it's not the best hobby for it. Don't get caught up in grading. I never sold comics so it was never a priority. And another reason I went digital.

Could always find my comics and the quality was always pristine.
Awesome, thanks for the answers. I'm starting to collect the Star Wars ones because I LOVE Star Wars, and I would really like to read them all and have the whole collection. Future resale value is still on my mind, but I'd probably never sell them anyways, so it's not a priority. I think my LCS gave me the impression that they were more valuable than they really are because a) they cost a little extra and b) they were already bagged and boarded, so I figured I should get them instead of the vanilla covers.

But based on your advice, it looks like I'll just get the variant covers if I really like the look of them, and I'll get normal copies if not. I already have the first two issues in variants, but I love the covers (issue 1 has the Tatooine sunset with a quote on it and the other is a poster style cover of Luke, Han and Leia) so I don't regret the purchases. I'll probably open them up and read them tonight now that I'm not worried about keeping them perfrect!

Zombine

Banned
^
Comics are worthless. The only value from them is emotional. A book like Star Wars #1 will remain worthless due to the print size. The only books worth money are those that have low print runs and then become popular (Saga, Walking Dead).

MattyG

Banned
^
Comics are worthless. The only value from them is emotional. A book like Star Wars #1 will remain worthless due to the print size. The only books worth money are those that have low print runs and then become popular (Saga, Walking Dead).
That makes me feel so much better about reading them and risking screwing them up.

Zombine

Banned
That makes me feel so much better about reading them and risking screwing them up.

I don't understand, screwing up how? What I'm saying is that you should probably read books because you want to enjoy the hobby and not for some future return. There is none lol. Comics aren't worth anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck I need to re-read Preacher, havent done it in a few years

Owzers

I don't understand, screwing up how? What I'm saying is that you should probably read books because you want to enjoy the hobby and not for some future return. There is none lol. Comics aren't worth anything.

I got a smudge on the back cover of Manhattan Projects #2 because it had an all black cover and i have thumbs. It haunts me to this day.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm on a reading frenzy on marvel Unlimited and thought I give the whole Ultimate universe a try

Holy shit Ultimates 3 is so fucking bad just after 4 pages in. I mean it is nothing like the earlier Ultimate volumes and nothing is explained in between.

The art is also pure shit (sorry madureira fans.)

MattyG

Banned
I know what you meant, I gotchu. I just get really anal about my stuff, even if it doesn't hold any monetary value. I'm the same way with my games or figures or anything like that, I know they won't be worth much, but I want to keep them as nice as humanly possible. It's a personal problem more than anything, but I usually get over it pretty quickly lol

I'm actually going to start reading the two issues I have right now. I've heard good things, hopefully they're quality SW stories. And apparently the Darth Vader limited series starts next week?! Oh boy.

I got a smudge on the back cover of Manhattan Projects #2 because it had an all black cover and i have thumbs. It haunts me to this day.
guy-opening-door.gif

This is what I'm talking about, Zombine. Truly terrifying.

Zombine

Banned
I know what you meant, I gotchu. I just get really anal about my stuff, even if it doesn't hold any monetary value. I'm the same way with my games or figures or anything like that, I know they won't be worth much, but I want to keep them as nice as humanly possible. It's a personal problem more than anything, but I usually get over it pretty quickly lol

I'm actually going to start reading the two issues I have right now. I've heard good things, hopefully they're quality SW stories.

guy-opening-door.gif

This is what I'm talking about, Zombine. Truly terrifying.

Oh! Yeah dude I mean...I know that my books are worthless, but I still bag and board them and put them in the comic dungeon so they stay nice.

If you find some variants or even regular covers that blow your mind, you should consider some of these:

2 Comic Book Showcase Display Cases - Current Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036CW96W/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036CW96W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Confession: I have never read Preacher.

Confession: I have never eaten fish.

I'm back to my rematch of Batman:TAS. Tonight's episode is Trial by Bruce Timm and Dini. An amazing episode with all the rogues putting Batman on trial. It's refreshing to see Classic Harley and Hammil joker in his prime. Love this show.

I'm on a reading frenzy on marvel Unlimited and thought I give the whole Ultimate universe a try

Holy shit Ultimates 3 is so fucking bad just after 4 pages in. I mean it is nothing like the earlier Ultimate volumes and nothing is explained in between.

The art is also pure shit (sorry madureira fans.)

Ultimates 3 is indeed shit. It also takes place like years after Ultimates 2 both irl and in the universe if I recall. Since it was essentially the set up for Ultimatum.

Cheska

I'm back to my rematch of Batman:TAS. Tonight's episode is Trial by Bruce Timm and Dini. An amazing episode with all the rogues putting Batman on trial. It's refreshing to see Classic Harley and Hammil joker in his prime. Love this show.

I really wish this was available on Netflix.

Sothpaw

Just got back from watching American Sniper. 10/10 give it every award (even though Hollywood won't). Was cool how the team called themselves the Punishers painted the Punisher skull over their gear.

Isak_Borg

Awesome, thanks for the answers. I'm starting to collect the Star Wars ones because I LOVE Star Wars, and I would really like to read them all and have the whole collection. Future resale value is still on my mind, but I'd probably never sell them anyways, so it's not a priority. I think my LCS gave me the impression that they were more valuable than they really are because a) they cost a little extra and b) they were already bagged and boarded, so I figured I should get them instead of the vanilla covers.

But based on your advice, it looks like I'll just get the variant covers if I really like the look of them, and I'll get normal copies if not. I already have the first two issues in variants, but I love the covers (issue 1 has the Tatooine sunset with a quote on it and the other is a poster style cover of Luke, Han and Leia) so I don't regret the purchases. I'll probably open them up and read them tonight now that I'm not worried about keeping them perfrect!

Comics are basically worthless and the only way modern comics are worth anything is artificial scarcity. The Star Wars comics are going to be worthless when it comes to resale value because they were mass produced(Don't have the # on hand but it's up there) and widely available.

The main reason older comics are worth anything is because no one really collected them and they're actually rare and hard to find which drives up the value. Digital availability is also killing the resell market because you can access pretty much anything at the original price.

Collecting comics should be about the enjoyment of the medium not about the resell value.

Ah Okey that explains at least some stuff.

Oh boy sounds like I'm in for a ride, I'm just reading all this stuff for the rise of evil Richards aka The Maker.

Ultimates 1 and 2 take place somewhere around the same time as USM:1-120ish, UFF: 1-58, and UXM: 1-98. Everything else also takes place in this time. Though the Galactus trilogy is in the half way point of the runs if I recall.

Then Ultimates 3, then Ultimatum and the rest of the USM/UFF/UXM runs. Then you have UC:S, the 3 UC: Avengers runs, New Avengers, Ultimate X Origins (or w/e they called it).

I think around the USM return to original numbering you have the Doom Trilogy which is somewhat relevant to evil Reed.

At some point you get to Avengers vs. New Ultimates which is trash but ties into Death of Spider-man.

Then you have the Hickman/Spencer Ultimates and X-men and Miles USM. Those are linear until Cataclysm which is relevant for Evil Reed.

Then some more shit which was where I stopped following. Though I never read anything but USM and Cataclysm post DOSM

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
More old house ads! I really like this one:
Cocky, but totally classy. I like it.
It's okay, Batman Beyond is the better show anyhow.
I love Erik Matthews too, my dude, but Batman: TAS is some childhood-defining shit. Just the hearing the opening to Batman: TAS makes me happy as hell and let's me forget that I have to spend 4.99 on some c-list superhero who talks to ants and can't afford child support to get my comics kick these days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How evil is evil reed? Actual evil or like the 616 reed just an asshole that keeps getting in over his head?

MattyG

Banned
Oh! Yeah dude I mean...I know that my books are worthless, but I still bag and board them and put them in the comic dungeon so they stay nice.

If you find some variants or even regular covers that blow your mind, you should consider some of these:

2 Comic Book Showcase Display Cases - Current Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036CW96W/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036CW96W/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Oh cool, thanks for the heads up! I'm sure that by the end of the first SW run I'll have at least 1 frame worth cover, so these could come in handy! And I found the digital codes finally. It's awesome that they put them in there so I don't have to unbag them every time I want to reread them.

I actually just read the first two issues, and HOLY SHIT they're really good. There was only a couple things I didn't like, like the two or three times they shoehorned in lines from the movies, but the art is great and the story has a lot of potential. the last two pages of #2 were excellent, really got me pumped for #3 and the Vader series.

Comics are basically worthless and the only way modern comics are worth anything is artificial scarcity. The Star Wars comics are going to be worthless when it comes to resale value because they were mass produced(Don't have the # on hand but it's up there) and widely available.

The main reason older comics are worth anything is because no one really collected them and they're actually rare and hard to find which drives up the value. Digital availability is also killing the resell market because you can access pretty much anything at the original price.

Collecting comics should be about the enjoyment of the medium not about the resell value.
Yeah, when I decided to start buying the SW comics, I didn't really have any intention of caring about resale value, but I didn't know enough to realize there wouldn't be any. I'm kind of glad they're worthless, to be honest, since I feel like I can enjoy them way more without worrying about that stuff.

Messi

Finishing up year one of Injustice and I love this comic. It is so good. Just wish there was more Harley, none of this super serious story stuff. Haven't seen her in like 7 issues.

Rhaknar

Infinity: Heist #1 - I dug it, we need more stories with super villains just being regular people. Kinda like Superior Foes, but without the comedy or charm >_>

Still I like the premise. Infinity keeps trucking along, it's a weird event since its almost 2 events in 1 but in enjoying it.

Oh and what incarnation of the thunderbolts was blizzard in?

Zombine

Banned
The way that I rank the Batman shows is strange...Its undeniable that Batman: TAS is one of the best animated shows to ever come out of the states (that even holds up today), but I have a hard time ranking TAS, New Adventures, and Beyond due to how each one has elements that I love, and got me through various stages of my childhood.

For example, I prefer Mr Freeze and the Batman costume from New Adventures over the blue and grey suit from TAS, but I feel like all of the other elements from that show are not as memorable as TAS. It's also the weakest of the three.

TAS/Mask of The Phantasm were glorious, but I do have to admit here my dudes that I was only really around for the end of the show. It started in September of 92, so I was 3 years old. I don't really remeber the show that well until the last couple of seasons.

New Adventures is a show I remeber fairly well, but even as a kid I knew that it looked worse than the original. Watched it, loved it, it was good enough for me.

The reason why I say beyond is better is purely nostalgia. Kids WB...Batman Beyond...Jackie Chan...X-Statix...Yugioh? Fuck. Yes. Batman Beyond was comfort food. I loved the setting, I loved the whole japanese neon sign vibe (I was getting heavy into anime at the time), and I thought Terry's GF was a total babe. I wanted to BE Terry McGinnis, and I enjoyed all the new takes on classic enemies. It just spoke to me, probably the same way that TAS spoke to some of you guys.

Top Bottom